Losing formatting with Android syncs

Recently (this is only a new problem), when making edits in the Android client, I lose all formatting in the edited note (I've only discovered this later when revisiting the note on my synced Windows client). THis is terribly frustrating requiring me to go back to prior versions, import, then find the edited content. Thus, for present, I am using the Android client only for viewing.

Anyone else having this problem?

I am using updated versions (not Beta) for both clients.

Richard.

• Level 5*

It's a fact that the editor on each client - particularly mobiles - often has problems interpreting the codes used by other client editors.  Where the formatting is important,  best practice until Evernote can harmonise the performance more closely is to create a new note for changes on a mobile client and merge or cut and paste changes when back to desktop.  It's a known feature-not-a-bug.

• 2 weeks later...

"Feature not a bug" ... you cannot be serious.

I just opened Evernote on my android device where an announcement touted all the great new 'handwriting' stuff. I actually took a moment, familiarized and tried it out.

Only to find when I synced that on my mac my ENTIRE to-do list has now lost formatting?

This is epic failure rollout.

Developers need to learn from the physicians: first do no harm.

If it was working fine before, and you introduce a new "feature" I never asked for at the cost of what used to work no longer working ... you will lose users.

I like Evernote. Please don't break it.

• Level 5*

User forum here,  so no direct control over making or breaking of experiences,  but the comment was purely to indicate that Evernote know about this and are addressing it - not sure whether the fix has reached the outside world yet,  but I do know its being worked on.  It's not technically a bug,  because this is a missing capability not a broken one;  therefore its a 'feature' - though one we'd all like to avoid whenever possible...

Thanks for the response, gazumped.

I am not a developer; I had only ever heard "it's a feature not a bug" in a humorous context but I gather from your post there is a technical definition of 'feature' that does not imply a benefit to the user but simply states "the software is known to operate in this manner."

Nonetheless, a "sync" that loses a lot of information (and yes it was not just formatting but information because along with losing all 'to do' check boxes it also lost which ones were checked) is not really a sync and I would think should not be released in a consumer product or at very least with a warning.

I'd rather not be able to edit notes on my mobile device, or only be able to create new notes which I could later merge in the office, than have information disappearing without warning and irretrievably (unless I pay for a premium upgrade) on a product that claims to be "cross platform" and who's marketing line is "Remember Everything."

So I hope they read this or that you will pass this bit of feedback along.

• Level 5*

The developers do read the forums,  but you can also send feedback via the support link (see below) if you want to make sure the message gets through.  As I said I'm pretty sure things should improve 'shortly' - which is to say not as soon as tomorrow but probably not as long as a year;  we'll all have to wait and see.

:)

• 1 year later...

I notice this thread is over a year old and I'm wondering if things have improved. I'm still having formatting issues...

I like to use check boxes for action lists and I like to have them nested - so one action might have several component actions indented beneath it. However everytime I update the note on Android all of the indenting gets removed.

I'm hoping to see a fix for that soon.  :P Yes, and Christmas is coming - I know  :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...
On 7/17/2015 at 11:32 AM, SteveM51 said:

I notice this thread is over a year old and I'm wondering if things have improved. I'm still having formatting issues...

I like to use check boxes for action lists and I like to have them nested - so one action might have several component actions indented beneath it. However everytime I update the note on Android all of the indenting gets removed.

I'm hoping to see a fix for that soon.  :P Yes, and Christmas is coming - I know  :rolleyes:

In the meanwhile, Christmas has passed...

Unfortunately, I still have exactly the same problem. I would really love it to be fixed!

This loss of formatting issue is still alive.  I use Evernote with Windows 7 on my computer and on my Samsung Galaxy III with Android version 4.4.2.  Every time I edit a note on my smartphone some of the formatting is lost.  This issue has been hanging around far too long.  I TRY to remember that editing should NOT be done on my smartphone, but I forget once in a while.  I just had a very large Evernote document lose all formatting.  It took a very long time to repair that on my computer.  My only solution is to not edit an existing note but create a new note with the information that needs to be changed.

Can anyone supply information as to why this happens and if Evernote plans to fix it?

• 5 months later...

This formatting issue is still a bug on Android. My entire day's logs have been messed up because I edited it on my Android phone after making them on desktop.

How can this STILL be a bug when the original report on this was March 2014? That's over 2 years! This really isn't rocket science.

On 6/10/2016 at 4:55 AM, thekanester said:

This formatting issue is still a bug on Android. My entire day's logs have been messed up because I edited it on my Android phone after making them on desktop.

How can this STILL be a bug when the original report on this was March 2014? That's over 2 years! This really isn't rocket science.

Did you hear you can chat?:angry:

I'm sorry, my sarcasm isn't helping, but come on, developers! There is no excuse for this!  I've read every single active thread in the Windows and Android forums, and in literally every one of them there is at least one user pointing out that Evernote developers are not responsive to bug notifications! 

How would you feel if this was something you counted on? A product you had paid for and needed to use, and you were ignored for months and years on end? 

• Level 5*

Given the number of products,  updates and different platforms Evernote is working on at any given time I'd imagine they are working hard on a long list of bugs;  apparently just not these ones as yet.  Or they might be working on a fix but still have weeks or months of development and testing to go through before a release. 

Evernote employee @PeeJayTee did respond to comments on editor issues some time ago here - and new versions have been coming out for desktop and mobile devices since,  with commentary on the release pages.

It's not correct to say that developers are ignoring users - they're working hard at fixing things;  but some fixes are easier than others.  And Evernote have always had a policy (with a few memorable exceptions) of not making promises about the content or timing of updates.  It's not possible to say 'we'll fix this next month' because the database could fall over tomorrow with 100M users screaming that sync isn't working,  and then all bets are off until the crisis is fixed.  Work is done when it's done and tested - and released.

15 hours ago, gazumped said:

Given the number of products,  updates and different platforms Evernote is working on at any given time I'd imagine they are working hard on a long list of bugs;  apparently just not these ones as yet.  Or they might be working on a fix but still have weeks or months of development and testing to go through before a release. 

Evernote employee @PeeJayTee did respond to comments on editor issues some time ago here - and new versions have been coming out for desktop and mobile devices since,  with commentary on the release pages.

It's not correct to say that developers are ignoring users - they're working hard at fixing things;  but some fixes are easier than others.  And Evernote have always had a policy (with a few memorable exceptions) of not making promises about the content or timing of updates.  It's not possible to say 'we'll fix this next month' because the database could fall over tomorrow with 100M users screaming that sync isn't working,  and then all bets are off until the crisis is fixed.  Work is done when it's done and tested - and released.

I could not disagree more without special tools. 

If Evernote developers like @PeeJayTee are active in the forums, then the least they could do is reply to posts that are two years old documenting bugs.

Evernote doesn't have a "policy" about not making promises. They have a consistent track record of flatly ignoring user feedback and not replying to official or unofficial bug reports! It has been that way for at least six years, since I started participating in this forum in 2010, and some evidence I've seen indicates that it has been consistent since 2008. 

When I see new features constantly rolled out, and bugs sticking around for nearly a friggin' decade, I begin to lose faith in the idea that developers are "working hard at fixing things." 

The evidence is in front of us. Bugs that have been here for years are still not fixed, or even acknowledged by the staff. 

As I said, there is no excuse for the ridiculous length of time it takes for Evernote to unscrew core functionality of their product.

• Level 5*

So @PeeJayTee's comments were several months (not years) ago, but mentions (via the link) that there has been a years long project to rewrite the editor.  The comment about 'ignoring user feedback and not replying to bug reports' is.. er.. incorrect (there are a lot of reponses across several forums). 

The policy about not making promises - OK I can't give you a quote on that,  but can you show me a quote from Evernote ever offering a 'promise' to deliver anything to a specific timescale?

Can't dispute that some bugs have hung around for a long time,  but Evernote don't share explanations or reasons for that - maybe they're waiting for iOS11 so they can deliver a particular feature that works in iOS,  or maybe there just isn't enough interest to make it worth their while to fix some issues.  I don't know and they don't (won't?) say.

Don't see any of that as a major problem with Evernote - either it works for you and you use it,  or (if you have any sense) you found a better app and moved on.  Continuing to use the app  while also complaining about it seems kinda pointless...

Archived