How to add a single nested tag?

TdeV

I thought I asked this question, but I can't see it in My Content.

Once upon a time, I could go to a tag and use a key sequence which enabled me to add a tag as a child of the tag I was sitting on. The key sequence was something like Control+Shift+Insert, but that's not it.

There are some occasions where I can right click on a tag in the left sidebar, then I can add a child-tag, but I do not know what those occasions are. I do know I can click on Tags (label) on the left sidebar, collapse a number of expanded parent-child tags, and then right-click and add a child-tag to the tag my cursor is on. But this is a problem because I had to leave the note I was working on.

There are some other occasions where I can right click on a tag in the left sidebar and then add a child-tag, but I do not know what they are and I can find any help about it.

Can someone help me? :wub:

Thanks in advance.

• Level 5*

As far as I know, you can only create nested by:

* right-clicking on a personal tag, and selecting "Create Tag in <blah>..."

* Just creating a tag any old way, and moving it to its proper location later on.

I tend to favor the later, and only worry about moving tags around later on -- usually *much* later on, since a nicely nested tag tree isn't super important to me anyways. I use the same tag name for different contexts, so they may not necessarily fit under a single parent tag. Also, I don't use the tag tree for searching, so I don't get all OCD about where they live. An occasional cleanup is nice, but I'd rather spend my time actually using Evernote, not organizing my tags.

So, I'm not crazy then. This thing which I think used to work, once did. And now doesn't, at least reliably.

Right-click on a tag used to make a new child tag. And now does only in some (yet to be defined) instances.

Sheesh. :(

• Level 5*

So, I'm not crazy then. This thing which I think used to work, once did. And now doesn't, at least reliably.

Right-click on a tag used to make a new child tag. And now does only in some (yet to be defined) instances.

Sheesh. :(

Unless you used to be able to nest your tags with shared tags, this should work (I see the right-click option grayed out if I try to do this on a shared tag). I'm forgetting if we used to be able to do that, but if we cannot now, there must be a reason for it. Telling shared tags apart from personal tags is pretty easy: the shared tag has the account name that they're shared from in parens attached.

We can no longer RELIABLY right click on a tag to get an option to add a nested tag. We can always right click, but often that is merely an offer to add a tag.

I'm looking for the RELIABLE circs in which right-clicking will get me the option to add a nested tag.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

We can no longer RELIABLY right click on a tag to get an option to add a nested tag. We can always right click, but often that is merely an offer to add a tag.

I'm looking for the RELIABLE circs in which right-clicking will get me the option to add a nested tag.

Thanks.

Hmmm, I've been poking at this a little more. I think you're right -- there's a bug that seems to cause either the "Create Tag..." or "Create Tag in <blah>..." prompts to come up, even when right-clicking on the same tag. It doesn't seem to be wholly random, but I can't figure out the pattern to reproduce this. You should be able to create a subtag under any other normal tag (i.e., those that are from your own account), but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Doesn't make sense, and so yes, a bug. 

Curiously, in the tag panel (not the tag tree), "Create tag in <blah>" is always present, but always grayed out. A different bug.

This is the current Evernote edition: 5.3.0.3188

Thanks Jefito and Gazumped for your research. My En version is 5.2.1.3x. and I'm running in Windows. I will upgrade. (Can't. No more windows upgrades, at least according to my Check For Upgrades button).

I keep the tag panel open all-down-my-left-side (pardon my segue into Douglas Adams), so it is convenient for me to go to a tag to add a child-tag and it's extremely annoying that it no longer works.

As I already mentioned I can sometimes get "Create tag in..." but not without losing the note I'm working on. Moving tags for better classification is very clumsy, so I don't wanna do that.

Do I know what the difference between the tag panel and tag tree are? I think not, you know.

• Level 5*

Do I know what the difference between the tag panel and tag tree are? I think not, you know.

When I talk about the tag tree, I'm talking about the hierarchical list of tags that appears in the left panel of the normal Evernote display. When I talk about the tag panel, I'm talking about the tag display that takes over the main display, triggered by clicking on the "Tags" header of the tag tree. The tag panel has the ability to filter your tags in several ways.

My usual approach is to make new tags as needed (rare) but not worry about where they fall in the tag tree, except for occasional (and I mean less often than monthly) tag tree cleanups, when I'm not doing anything else. I know some folks prefer to keep their list up to date at all times.

OK, then I can add child tags to the tag panel, but then I lose my place in the note I'm working on, so I don't choose this method very often.

In the tag panel, I could keep on the note I'm in, but adding tags here doesn't enable them to be child tags.

Demmed we are, eh? :huh:

Archived