Shared Public Notebook Not Syncing to Windows Desktop

freyja313

I've joined a publicly shared notebook and can view the notes in it fine in the web browser and on my phone. However, the notes are not syncing to my desktop client. I can see the notebook in the notebook list but there are no notes. When I check my activity log it shows the following:

19:29:52 [9908] 100% Missing share key or global id for notebook "xxx" shared by xxx

I believe this issue actually started a few weeks ago as I noticed today that a few of the notes in the notebook had been updated more recently than what was reflected in my desktop version. For example, a note in the web version shows a note was updated four days ago but when I was viewing notes in the desktop last night, the most recently updated note showed a date of February. I know too that in scanning my activity logs the last couple of weeks I have seen the same "missing share key" message but didn't think anything of it as I just figured nothing in that notebook had been updated recently. 

I have:

-Removed/re-added the notebook multiple times.

-Logged in and out of both desktop and web accounts.

-Tried various combinations of the above - removing notebook via web and desktop, logging out, logging in, re-adding notebook via web, etc.

-Uninstalled and re-installed the desktop client. 

but still no sync. 

I'm using Win7 and on EN version 5.2.1.3108.

Anyone else experienced this or should I open a support inquiry?

Thanks!

• Level 5*

I'd only toss in the idea that if you didn't use Revo Uninstaller to remove Evernote before you reinstall,  it's worth a shot...  Revo reaches the parts that other uninstallers.. don't.

I'm also experiencing this exact problem and have a support case open.

I even installed Evernote on a brand new laptop and the problem shared notebook still didn't download notes and still had the same error in the Activity Log so I don't think a complete removal of Evernote using Revo Uninstaller is an option.

UPDATE: Chatting to support about my case. They've taken an activity log and it's being escalated to Level 2 support. Hopeful of a resolution soon.

Thanks for the feedback!

Opened a ticket and EN suggested uninstalling using Revo and then installing a pre-release version of the client. Just got the email from them so haven't tried this yet. That being said...

I realized I am having the same problem on a different PC that I use regularly. The two that are having issues:

Win7 / EN 5.2.1.3108
WinXP / EN 5.2.0.2946

I did update the WinXP machine to 5.2.1.3108 and the notebooks are still not syncing. Plus on that PC I just added another publicly shared notebook and got the same message in my activity log with no syncing of that newly added notebook. 

The thing is, it's possible that other people may actually be experiencing this issue and not even know it. If you previously added a notebook and it synced just fine, those notes will still show up in the desktop client but each time you sync any changes made to that notebook won't be reflected and you'll just think the notebook hasn't been updated. This is what I thought was happening and I only realized there was a problem when I removed the shared notebook from my account and then decided to re-add it and nothing showed up!

Since this is occurring on two different machines with two different OS's and two different versions of EN, I'm not convinced it's an issue with the install of the client. 

• Level 5*

Thanks for the feedback!

Opened a ticket and EN suggested uninstalling using Revo and then installing a pre-release version of the client. Just got the email from them so haven't tried this yet. That being said...

I realized I am having the same problem on a different PC that I use regularly. The two that are having issues:

Win7 / EN 5.2.1.3108

WinXP / EN 5.2.0.2946

I did update the WinXP machine to 5.2.1.3108 and the notebooks are still not syncing. Plus on that PC I just added another publicly shared notebook and got the same message in my activity log with no syncing of that newly added notebook. 

The thing is, it's possible that other people may actually be experiencing this issue and not even know it. If you previously added a notebook and it synced just fine, those notes will still show up in the desktop client but each time you sync any changes made to that notebook won't be reflected and you'll just think the notebook hasn't been updated. This is what I thought was happening and I only realized there was a problem when I removed the shared notebook from my account and then decided to re-add it and nothing showed up!

Since this is occurring on two different machines with two different OS's and two different versions of EN, I'm not convinced it's an issue with the install of the client. 

Support ticket time (see below) I think - unfortunately we're just heading into the weekend,  but maybe there'll be more feedback from the existing ticket(s) above..

Any solution suggestions?

I have the same error on a brand new Evernote installation and I'm the member of the "going paperless" notebook. I can see the notebook online in the browser, when logging in to Evernote, but it does not sync with the desktop client (Windows 7) of Evernote.

The activity protocol: "Missing share key or global id for notebook "Going Paperless" shared by jamietr"

Any ideas or solutions?

Any solution suggestions?

I have the same error on a brand new Evernote installation and I'm the member of the "going paperless" notebook. I can see the notebook online in the browser, when logging in to Evernote, but it does not sync with the desktop client (Windows 7) of Evernote.

The activity protocol: "Missing share key or global id for notebook "Going Paperless" shared by jamietr"

Any ideas or solutions?

Interesting.

My issue is also with Jamie Todd Rubin's Going Paperless notebook. Same error.

No reply yet to my support request other than they seem to have recognised it's an issue and are looking into it.

Do you have a link to that notebook?

I am seeing this with a couple of other notebooks, I am wondering if I will see it with that one too. 

EDIT: Hmmm...as a notebook owner...maybe I can be of use, seeing as I see it when trying to sync mine from my test account.

19:18:14 [265600] 100% Connecting to www.evernote.com/edam/note/s2619:18:14 [265600] 100% Missing share key or global id for notebook "Evernote Help" shared by spgscott19:18:14 [265600] 100% Missing share key or global id for notebook "Evernote 5 Help" shared by spgscott
Does this happen with you, if you test my notebook at all?

Obviously, it is not a matter of a special (shared) notebook, I use for example https://www.evernote.com/pub/jamietr/goingpaperless, and https://www.evernote.com/pub/cholton51/evernotesmlc,

but have the same issue with other shared notebooks of other people, too:

Missing share key or global id for notebook ...

These shared notebook sync with my Android phone and Android tablet, but not with my Windows client (Windows 7 prof. 64bit).

The support answered me today, that they are analyzing probably a bug of the Windows client concerning shared notebooks and that I should try the beta at http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/prerelease/Evernote_5.3.0.3252.exe

I have installed that, but the error is still there.

Yeah, I wondered because I have had problems with the same two notebooks that I am seeing it with before now.

Looking at it a bit more, I am thinking it is simply Publicly shared notebooks.

UPDATE:

I installed today the 5.3.0 Public version of the Evernote Windows client.

The support told me to unsubscribe to my shared notebooks (like the "going paperless" one for example), then log off of the Evernote client, log in again and sync.

After this subscribe again to the shared notebooks and sync.

But the error is still there:

it works fine on my Android tablet and phone, but not on the Windows client of Evernote:

the shared notebooks appear, yes, but without any notes and without a working Sync :-/

Has anyone already solved this perhaps?

UPDATE:

I installed today the 5.3.0 Public version of the Evernote Windows client.

The support told me to unsubscribe to my shared notebooks (like the "going paperless" one for example), then log off of the Evernote client, log in again and sync.

After this subscribe again to the shared notebooks and sync.

But the error is still there:

it works fine on my Android tablet and phone, but not on the Windows client of Evernote:

the shared notebooks appear, yes, but without any notes and without a working Sync :-/

Has anyone already solved this perhaps?

I've just done the same and no result.

I have version 5.3.0.3360 (271360) Public

Still no more updates from my support ticket.

I installed today the 5.4.0.3413 Beta ... this SYNC error is still not fixed :-(

Shared notebooks are only shared at Android tablet and smartphone, but not on Windows client: there the notes are not updated/synchronized.

Concerning all public shared notebooks:

Missing share key or global id for notebook "Going Paperless" shared by jamietr
Missing share key or global id for notebook "evernote-tips" shared by evernote-tips
Missing share key or global id for notebook "Evernote SMLC" shared by cholton51

Has anyone found a solution?

I installed today the 5.4.0.3413 Beta ... this SYNC error is still not fixed :-(

Same problem here: Windows 7, Evernote 5.4 Beta, Missing share key or global id for notebook for public notebooks

Okay, first off, stop sharing links to other public notebooks I now want to join!  :P

Second, I am still having the same problem and have not found a solution. However, since my previous posts I have NOT tried doing a full uninstall (using Revo) and reinstall of the client but it sounds like that's not going to fix the issue anyway. I am experiencing the issue on two different PCs, one running Win7 and the other running WinXP (yes, I know, I know...talk to my employer about it no longer being supported...) Both PCs are running the current public release of Evernote (5.3.0.3360). After I add the notebooks I can see them in my notebook list in the desktop client but they aren't syncing any notes.

As mentioned above, I use the current BETA version 5.4.0 - the bug is not resolved. The support had closed my ticket, because there is "currently no solution for this SYNC error of shared notebooks on Windows clients" ... sad, but true. They only told me, that if this is a bug, they will try to solve this in future versions. :rolleyes:

UPDATE for your information:

Installed today Evernote 5.4.0.3446 (271446) Prerelease:

the bug with shared notebook not synchronizing on Evernote Windows Client (see my postings above) is still not solved.

:angry:

• 3 weeks later...

Good news!

I've just upgraded my desktop app to the pre-release version 5.4.0.3593 (271593) and all the notes in the Going Paperless notebook started flooding in! So, as far as I'm concerned, my problem is resolved. Hope everyone else who had the issue is just as successful.

Yes, I can confirm, too, that the newest Windows client 5.4.0.3593 (271593) Prerelease synchronizes now without any problems the notes from public shared notebooks, that I'm a member of.

Archived