Evernote Chat Support - Not Good

I've been a premium member since 2009.  Have an issue that I tried resolving via Evernote Chat support for premium members.  So far my window has been open for 7+ hours with no response except the typical boilerplate:

"Sorry for the delay. We're working on getting to you as quickly as possible. If you need to run, please feel free to file a support request"

Have only had the need to contact support several times over the years, and have never been impressed.

• Level 5*

I've been a premium member since 2009.  Have an issue that I tried resolving via Evernote Chat support for premium members.  So far my window has been open for 7+ hours with no response except the typical boilerplate:

"Sorry for the delay. We're working on getting to you as quickly as possible. If you need to run, please feel free to file a support request"

Have only had the need to contact support several times over the years, and have never been impressed.

Hi. Thanks for reporting and sorry to hear about the problem. I have flagged your post for Evernote staff. If it were me, I'd try the support ticket method and/or re-connecting to the site to open up a chat session. I'll give a try and see if I can get a response.

• 2 weeks later...

This is most definitely abnormal experience for our chat queue, which we keep staffed up during in-office hours. Sorry about that. In the future, may try closing the window and re-engaging the chat client, which should get you in front of a rep pretty quickly. If anyone reports extra long chat wait times, feel free to drop in here and we'll take a look.

With all due respect, I would offer up that after a much shorter time (15-20 minutes?), it would be reasonable to think something is amiss & that further action should be taken, rather than continuing to wait for another six plus hours.  IME, I've had very good luck with support.

+1 for poor chat experience. Like the OP, I have been an Evernote Premium member since 2009. Today was the second time I have tried chat support. Quite disappointed that all the chat person could do is file a trouble ticket, which I could have done myself. I thought chat was a support option, yet the person who chatted with me could not offer assist in troubleshooting my issue. When I asked for a supervisor, I was told there was no one. When I asked to escalate my request, she was unable to do that either.

All in all a very frustrating experience.

I was quoted a 24 hour response time for someone to even acknowledge my trouble ticket. That wasn't very encouraging either, as I suspect an email reply will not allow me to resolve the issue; it's something I need to have a conversation about with someone on the support team. Is this even possible? I thought Premium membership included priority response from support.

• Level 5*

I'd gather from your other post that your query is about scanning issues,  and maybe that's not an area in which the chat team have detailed training - filing a ticket will get it to a second level of tech who may be able to help more. There's no other direct connection available (AFAIK),  but if you can post your ticket number here I'll flag it for Admin's attention,  which may get it pushed along a bit..  

• Level 5

Just conjecture, but... the scan post mentioned was from last year.

My guess is the question probably pertains to the speed issue mentioned a week ago.

• Level 5*

Must learn to read those posts before replying...   :wacko:

- And I suspect you're right!

EDIT: In my own defence I'm sure that post showed up as a new one,  unless I skipped a page too....

I'd gather from your other post that your query is about scanning issues,  and maybe that's not an area in which the chat team have detailed training - filing a ticket will get it to a second level of tech who may be able to help more. There's no other direct connection available (AFAIK),  but if you can post your ticket number here I'll flag it for Admin's attention,  which may get it pushed along a bit..  

gazumped, I'm not sure if you were replying to me, as I was not the OP on this thread. But I would happily accept your offer to flag my ticket #. When I chatted with Evernote support yesterday morning, Isabel told me I would receive support within 24 hours. It's gone past that now, and I have yet to receive a bit of help. The ticket number I created myself (last night) asking for someone to escalate my request is # 439587.

+1 for poor chat experience. Like the OP, I have been an Evernote Premium member since 2009. Today was the second time I have tried chat support. Quite disappointed that all the chat person could do is file a trouble ticket, which I could have done myself. I thought chat was a support option, yet the person who chatted with me could not offer assist in troubleshooting my issue. When I asked for a supervisor, I was told there was no one. When I asked to escalate my request, she was unable to do that either.

I was quoted a 24 hour response time for someone to even acknowledge my trouble ticket. That wasn't very encouraging either, as I suspect an email reply will not allow me to resolve the issue; it's something I need to have a conversation about with someone on the support team. Is this even possible? I thought Premium membership included priority response from support.

Well, "support" people are typically not developers. It would be a waste of a developer to have them answer support desk questions. So when you say "it's something I need to have a conversation about with someone on the support team", you did. And most support desks (not just EN) have a series of processes they have the user go through. IE, one common procedure is having the user upgrade to the most recent version, if they are using an older version. That's good so that the support person isn't "wasting" their time trying to fix a problem that may have already been fixed. If the support desk cannot fix your problem & they create a ticket for you, then that means there is something a developer needs to look at. Often, there may be a particular individual who is better suited to that and/or they may need time to review the information the support desk sends them. And yes, premium accounts do mean you get priority response from support. But it doesn't mean you have a developer in your pocket. I'd also say from my own personal experience, if you have a problem that is escalated from support to a developer, it may be more than 24 hours before you get a response. But you can always reply back & remind them you've not heard from them. Having said all that, I'd have to say my experience with Evernote has still been very good & timely.

Well, "support" people are typically not developers. It would be a waste of a developer to have them answer support desk questions. So when you say "it's something I need to have a conversation about with someone on the support team", you did. And most support desks (not just EN) have a series of processes they have the user go through. IE, one common procedure is having the user upgrade to the most recent version, if they are using an older version. That's good so that the support person isn't "wasting" their time trying to fix a problem that may have already been fixed. If the support desk cannot fix your problem & they create a ticket for you, then that means there is something a developer needs to look at. Often, there may be a particular individual who is better suited to that and/or they may need time to review the information the support desk sends them. And yes, premium accounts do mean you get priority response from support. But it doesn't mean you have a developer in your pocket. I'd also say from my own personal experience, if you have a problem that is escalated from support to a developer, it may be more than 24 hours before you get a response. But you can always reply back & remind them you've not heard from them. Having said all that, I'd have to say my experience with Evernote has still been very good & timely.

BurgerNFries, thank you for taking the time to reply to my humble forum post. I have enjoyed reading your witty forum posts for years now. You are such a valuable member of the Evernote user community. Thank you for all you do!

Thank you also for helping me understand the distinction between a support team member and a developer. I've never heard that distinction before, and I will incorporate those titles in my future posts. According to my Chat Support experience from yesterday, the person who took my call was unable to offer any assistance whatsoever. All she could do was put in a support ticket, which I obviusly could have done without contacting her. She was the one who gave me the 24 hour response window; I think your > 24 hr response window is more accurate.

I did spend hours on the Evernote Knowledge Base, researching issues that matched my search criteria--something I always do before posting to a forum or contacting support in the attempt to resolve any issue I encounter. Most of the time, I can work through and resolve things myself. I neglected to mention that I did upgrade my version to 5.5.1 yesterday (after she put in a support ticket), which was my idea (not her suggestion). I knew support would insist I do that to rule out a version-related incident. Unfortunately, the upgrade resulted in another (seemingly unrelated) issue, so I now have two issues on my front burner and my productivity has ground to a halt.

Again, thanks for all you do here for the greater Evernote community. And by the way, who makes your favorite burger and fries? I am a food writer. ;)

With all due respect, I would offer up that after a much shorter time (15-20 minutes?), it would be reasonable to think something is amiss & that further action should be taken, rather than continuing to wait for another six plus hours.  IME, I've had very good luck with support.

With all due respect as well, do you think I sat there for 6+ hours looking at the chat window.  Actually I started the chat, waited a few minutes expecting a reasonable timely response and then decided to do other work on my computer.  Only much later did it occur to me that I had never received a response.

Also with all due respect, if this had been a one-off situation, I would not have bothered to post.  As mentioned I have been a Premium member since 2009 and have had multiple challenging support instances.  In this particular case, it annoyed me enough to where I was motivated to sign up to this forum (which I have followed very frequently) and do my first post.

Evernote is an ongoing valuable tool in my toolkit.  For what I use it for, it is quite useful.  However I am not an evangelist / apologist like you seem to be in many of your posts.  One area that Evernote seems to be weak in is customer support.  Numerous times I have contacted them, filed ticket support and had to re-contact them after several days because of no response.  Maybe they're short-staffed, maybe they're overworked, maybe they have systemic issues.  From a customer point-of-view, it doesn't matter, the customer support experience is not good.

With all due respect as well, do you think I sat there for 6+ hours looking at the chat window.  Actually I started the chat, waited a few minutes expecting a reasonable timely response and then decided to do other work on my computer.  Only much later did it occur to me that I had never received a response.

Also with all due respect, if this had been a one-off situation, I would not have bothered to post.  As mentioned I have been a Premium member since 2009 and have had multiple challenging support instances.  In this particular case, it annoyed me enough to where I was motivated to sign up to this forum (which I have followed very frequently) and do my first post.

Evernote is an ongoing valuable tool in my toolkit.  For what I use it for, it is quite useful.  However I am not an evangelist / apologist like you seem to be in many of your posts.  One area that Evernote seems to be weak in is customer support.  Numerous times I have contacted them, filed ticket support and had to re-contact them after several days because of no response.  Maybe they're short-staffed, maybe they're overworked, maybe they have systemic issues.  From a customer point-of-view, it doesn't matter, the customer support experience is not good.

Well, hey, I'm real glad you weren't sitting there for 6+ hours.  Whew!!!

Yes, my experience with EN support has been positive. 

apol·o·gist noun \ə-ˈpä-lə-jist\

: a person who defends or supports something (such as a religion, cause, or organization) that is being criticized or attacked by other people

I suppose you intended that to be a dig & I'm not sure why.  People are allowed to have a difference of opinion.  So I take it as a compliment.  Thank you.

Good luck.

BurgerNFries, thank you for taking the time to reply to my humble forum post. I have enjoyed reading your witty forum posts for years now. You are such a valuable member of the Evernote user community. Thank you for all you do!

Thank you also for helping me understand the distinction between a support team member and a developer. I've never heard that distinction before, and I will incorporate those titles in my future posts. According to my Chat Support experience from yesterday, the person who took my call was unable to offer any assistance whatsoever. All she could do was put in a support ticket, which I obviusly could have done without contacting her. She was the one who gave me the 24 hour response window; I think your > 24 hr response window is more accurate.

I did spend hours on the Evernote Knowledge Base, researching issues that matched my search criteria--something I always do before posting to a forum or contacting support in the attempt to resolve any issue I encounter. Most of the time, I can work through and resolve things myself. I neglected to mention that I did upgrade my version to 5.5.1 yesterday (after she put in a support ticket), which was my idea (not her suggestion). I knew support would insist I do that to rule out a version-related incident. Unfortunately, the upgrade resulted in another (seemingly unrelated) issue, so I now have two issues on my front burner and my productivity has ground to a halt.

Again, thanks for all you do here for the greater Evernote community. And by the way, who makes your favorite burger and fries? I am a food writer. ;)

Thank you so much!

Actually, it may be that had you submitted a support ticket, it would not have been more expeditious b/c the "first responders" most likely would be the same tier you chatted with.  The people who make sure you're using the latest version & then they eliminate the commonly encountered issues. 

Hopefully, they will get your issues solved soon.  I know how it is when you can't use your Evernote!!!

WRT burger & fries...I'm a vegetarian & don't even like fries that much.  :o   When I created the user name many years ago, I was just looking for something different.  :)   So...my favorite burger is usually a grilled portobello! 

WRT burger & fries...I'm a vegetarian & don't even like fries that much.  :o   When I created the user name many years ago, I was just looking for something different.  :)   So...my favorite burger is usually a grilled portobello! 

Yum! I'm a big portobello mushroom lover myself.  :-D

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting the same note with my long wait-time. Paid $5 to get a chat due to lost data and now I can't seem to get connected with anyone :(

Hmmmm, I can see your chat logs showing up in our ticketing system, as well as your ticket. I'm bumping this to a few of our support reps and we'll get you sorted.

Same issue for me. Evernote Business deleted our data, re-signed up for Premium to try to get some chat support. Open window. Nothing happening. Help!

"Evernote Business deleted our data"... What does this mean? Do you mean that a user on your Evernote Business account has deleted data? Or that due to some glitch, you have lost data?

FYI,

Just was connected to a chat support representative in about 90 seconds. I'd give that another shot! They do seem to be under a fairly heavy load this very moment so you might need to be a little patient. If you don't get connected within, say, 5 minutes, try again.

• 5 weeks later...

Help!!!! I am trying to contact evernote for support but when i click on chat how, it takes me back to the beginning of describing my problem and won't engage in chat. I am DESPERATE for help. I need to access my evernotes for work but for the past hour i have not been able to close an image and get access to my notes. I have tried turning ipad off and on, i have tried hard reboot of ipad, i have tried opening a pdf file in evernote. Nothing gets ride of image. My evernotes are not syched with anything -- icloud doesn't synch, so i am afraid to reinstall. I can't afford to lose my notes. HELP!! I need this for work.

Help!!!! I am trying to contact evernote for support but when i click on chat how, it takes me back to the beginning of describing my problem and won't engage in chat. I am DESPERATE for help. I need to access my evernotes for work but for the past hour i have not been able to close an image and get access to my notes. I have tried turning ipad off and on, i have tried hard reboot of ipad, i have tried opening a pdf file in evernote. Nothing gets ride of image. My evernotes are not syched with anything -- icloud doesn't synch, so i am afraid to reinstall. I can't afford to lose my notes. HELP!! I need this for work.

Sorry you weren't able to immediately connect with chat! It sounds like you're running into the "Done" bug on IOS, where you get stuck on an open image:   https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/60469-messed-up-evernote-app/

You can use some workarounds in that thread to get around the image bug pretty quickly, and we have this fixed in the latest beta as well, so a fix should be on its way soon!

Archived