Tag list export?

Olli

• Level 5*

Hi,

is there a way to export all tags to a txt-file (or into a EN-Note)?

Kind regards

Olli

Hi. Nope. I am afraid not. It would be nice if there was some way to manage them better (select a bunch at once, make a "table of contents" note with them, list them, etc.).

• 2 years later...

As some time has gone by since anybody replied in this thread I'd like to bring it back to the surface.

I read somewhere that Evernote's local catalogue file is said to be based on SQLITE and because Adobe Lightroom (certainly based on sqlite) provides for export and import of keywords (tags) I was wondering why this missing feature does not seem to have that much priority. 

Can anybody put me somewhat more into the picture, please.  I ought to do some major tidying up. 

Thanks!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JohnLongney said:

As some time has gone by since anybody replied in this thread I'd like to bring it back to the surface.

I read somewhere that Evernote's local catalogue file is said to be based on SQLITE and because Adobe Lightroom (certainly based on sqlite) provides for export and import of keywords (tags) I was wondering why this missing feature does not seem to have that much priority. 

Can anybody put me somewhat more into the picture, please.  I ought to do some major tidying up. 

Which platform
I can produce a list of tags using applescript on my Mac

Its not advisable to go into the backend database with sql tools
I have dba training, and I wouldn't do it

Not sure what your purpose is.
You mention tidying up - I'd prefer to do this within Evernote on my Mac

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

Evernote's Windows database is SQLite, and you can probably spelunk it with a third-party tool if you want (first Google hit was http://sqlitebrowser.org/; I can't testify whether it's any good or not). This is a two year old request (with minimal responses, so not much interest?), but like all requests, it gets prioritized against other requests. For the Windows client I'd just go to the Tags View (Ctrl+Shift+T).

I don't know what Adobe Lightroom has do do with this, though.

On 27.10.2016 at 3:56 AM, jefito said:

Evernote's Windows database is SQLite, and you can probably spelunk it with a third-party tool if you want (first Google hit was http://sqlitebrowser.org/; I can't testify whether it's any good or not). This is a two year old request (with minimal responses, so not much interest?), but like all requests, it gets prioritized against other requests. For the Windows client I'd just go to the Tags View (Ctrl+Shift+T).

I don't know what Adobe Lightroom has do do with this, though.

//

Firstly, thank you for your thoughts.

Being a Windozer perhaps I work somewhat differently. Of course the real tidying up has to be done in Evernote eventually. Mentioning Adobe Lightroom is for three reasons, based on SQLite, file management tools and both support keywording. In fact keywords are the only way to cover all file management search and find needs in reliable and easy manner.  Scanning for content is nice but no substitute for keywording.

A printed listed, generated by one or two clicks allows tidying up and amendment by importing the complete lot, say into an Excel datasheet for further processing. With a fully edited list in hand most people find the job simply much easier. 

There is a saying here, what the eye does not see, the heart does not grieve about, My eyes have seen the benefit. No extra tool needed, no knowledge of SQLite, export and import of keywords is part of LR. One of many menu items. Cannot remember ever hearing of it being a redundant feature (aka for doddery old cranks only). 

short example of such a list (nested keywords)

Hund
    {Dog}
    {Hound}
John
    {Longney}

Maybe my view explains why I miss this feature, same as built-in export to pdf. 

BTW: another saying here is, that those who do not move with the times will sooner or later come to regret it.

To get the full view of keywords in EN I klick that little icon with the house/magnifier. Easier than cramming another set of shortcuts into my head.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

To get the full view of keywords in EN I klick that little icon with the house/magnifier. Easier than cramming another set of shortcuts into my head.

That's probably the worst way to look at your tags, if you want to organize them, mainly because you can't actually edit them there, nor do they reflect any tag hierarchy. It is in fact a useful little control for adding tags to your search filter, as it whittles the list down according to the notes that have your prior selections, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm referring instead to the Tag View, which gives you a full page to edit your tags, in the context of their hierarchy. As mentioned, you can get there using the shortcut or via the menu, or by right-clicking on the "Tags" entry in the left panel and selecting "Show Tag View". If you don't want to bother with that, and instead seek a roundabout export to Excel / re-import feature, well, good luck, but you should at least try out what's available to you right here and now.

On 27.10.2016 at 3:56 AM, jefito said:

Thank you @Jefito

The full, expanded view you refer is all very well, and yes, it is the one for editing but I am not one for horizontal scrolling.

In fact, vertical layouts and as such scrolling  is the preferred and commonly accepted way. My mouse scrolls up and down, but not sideways.

Because no reasonably cheap software can provide deluxe editing I'd be happy to have an export list in text file format.

Archived