After scanning a business card (with ScanSnap Evernote Edition), most of the card data is correctly populated in Evernote.

I can do small edits, but cannot figure out how to correct data that was missed. For example, Evernote correctly picked up 2 out of 3 phone numbers, but I cannot seem to add the 3rd one to the Evernote card record. Evernote also missed the URL on the card, and I cannot figure out how to add a URL field (do I need to put that in the notes section?).

Is the business card functionality really that immature (alpha? pre-alpha?), or am I just being really dense? both?

• Like 3
  • 10 months later...

It has been over 10 months since this post was originally created, does anyone from Evernote have any new information on expanding the capabilities of the Business Card format and the ability to add URLs outside of the notes section.

After scanning a business card (with ScanSnap Evernote Edition), most of the card data is correctly populated in Evernote.

I can do small edits, but cannot figure out how to correct data that was missed. For example, Evernote correctly picked up 2 out of 3 phone numbers, but I cannot seem to add the 3rd one to the Evernote card record. Evernote also missed the URL on the card, and I cannot figure out how to add a URL field (do I need to put that in the notes section?).

Is the business card functionality really that immature (alpha? pre-alpha?), or am I just being really dense? both?

Also, I found that editing a business card scanned in by the ScanSnap is much EASIER via the Mobile apps. The mobile apps allow you to edit missing fields as if you were editing a contact card in the phone app. Hope that helps.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Well... I posted that after not being able to make any edits.  "Document locked"  It was the first card I scanned.  But then the more cards I scanned, I noticed that SOME came in with editable fields. Weird.  So, now after some testing, about 1/3 of the time, I get the "Doc Locked" and the rest of the time I get an editable page.  .   Thoughts?

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, Pilot Bob said:

Well... I posted that after not being able to make any edits.  "Document locked"  It was the first card I scanned.  But then the more cards I scanned, I noticed that SOME came in with editable fields. Weird.  So, now after some testing, about 1/3 of the time, I get the "Doc Locked" and the rest of the time I get an editable page.  .   Thoughts?

I went back through some of my business card notes and I do not have any Doc Locked issues, they all seem to be editable.  So, don't know what to tell you.  You could file a trouble ticket I suppose.

The issue I have is that fields can't be added once the note is created, or at least I don't know how.  Whatever fields were captured are all there is to edit.  So if one wants to add a fax number, SOOL.  At least the image is there.  I suppose once could edit the ENML and extend the table, but yuck to that.

I look back at it and I would have been better off creating a template and adding an image of the card to it.  Could do it retroactively, but not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

• 1 year later...

I recently upgraded to premium so that I could have the business card scanning functionality.  I have no trouble grabbing the info from the business card via the mobile app.  However,  a major draw for me was the "notes" field so that I could add in information about our meeting or shared projects.  None of my scanned business cards are editable in the desktop app.  All are locked. The error says "sorry, you can only edit the title of this note because it was created in another app."  I used the Evernote app... 

It appears I can add notes still to the business card via the Evernote app but it would be much preferable to be able to use the Desktop app or browser app, as I am currently using, to be able to type in more details.  My preference would be to have a keyboard and easier browsing and copy/paste feature of a desktop!

• 2 weeks later...

Has this issue been addressed on the Desktop version of Evernote yet? I also pay for premium and have a ton of business cards saved in Evernote. Sadly, a ton of fields are missing, which means I have to go back to look at the card every time I need to find contact information. It sure would be nice if the Scannable app did a better job of detecting the fields on the business card and/or I could manually add more fields once the card is in Evernote...

Thanks!