Assorted Bugs and Annoyances with Android app

There are four major annoyances in the current version of Android app:

1. The scroll bar keeps conflicting with the shortcuts gesture, can't draw shortcuts menu without scrolling the notes every once in a while

2. The menu button sometimes disappears on both my Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3 which have a physical menu button. Pressing menu button has no effect. Yes, I am aware of the relevant toggle in 'settings', it doesn't help

3. The new video camera will freeze up when in the lowest 8 minute resolution

4. The latest version fails to update reminders date from the scroll box thingy, though the dialer thingy works fine.

Have raised a ticket for last two but got the usual 'logout and reinstall' response.

Screenshots here:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s41/sh/454dfa39-b270-4782-8156-83a5ad2f061f/67320fbbdb62865eceff3eb16c13fda0

1. The scroll bar keeps conflicting with the shortcuts gesture, can't draw shortcuts menu without scrolling the notes every once in a while
+1

2. The menu button sometimes disappears on both my Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3 which have a physical menu button. Pressing menu button has no effect. Yes, I am aware of the relevant toggle in 'settings', it doesn't help
+1  my previous post about it

3. The new video camera will freeze up when in the lowest 8 minute resolution
4. The latest version fails to update reminders date from the scroll box thingy, though the dialer thingy works fine.

I don't use them

• 5 weeks later...

+1 +1

+1 +1

I'm seconding Gangun, though I'll add some of my own suggestions.

wrt #1: The bigger problem is that Evernote for Android simply is unresponsive to side-flicks from anywhere not totally at the margins of the screen. Compare Facebook, Twitter, or Snapchat for Android (and probably many others). They are very commonly used by many people and they follow a similar pattern: They respond to flicks from practically the center of the screen. Evernote's shortcut and menu screens feel like the hunt for Moby Dick by comparison. (Poor thumb, you know?)

I'd suggest the Android team simply tweak some of the numbers so that the side-flicks are more responsive, in line with the sensitivity of other popular Android apps.

wrt #2: A lot of the Android apps aren't so complex as to need to use the menu button for much more than a pop up for access to various settings and options.

But Evernote is not a simple app. It has a lot of functionalities. A button built into the hardware at least shouldn't be wasted as it currently does in its buggy form. I don't think the Android team should even bother fixing its bugs when all it does it bring up the title and menu bars on top and bottom. I think the team should remap it to an altogether different function, and I'm going to guess others feel similarly.

The fact is that the button brings up the title and menu bars on its own fairly well. It does so automatically when I scroll up and down my note. This is already very similar to what Facebook and Twitter do; this is already very much intuitive. 

Instead, the team could have the menu bar do roughly the exact same thing no matter whether you're A. in the left-side main menu screen, B. in the right-side shortcut screen, C. browsing the notes, D. scrolling through a single note, or E. editing a single note.

Currently A. has a touch menu in the upper right leading to 동기화 and 설정 which are probably "sync" and "settings" in English. It also has a separate menu near the top at the username leading to "data usage," "account info" and "logout."

B. has no touch menu at all, though this is less important

C. has the same touch menu as A. leading to "sync" and "settings" but at the bottom right! (Wth!) It also has another menu at the top at the name of the folder/view you're in for view settings, which makes enough sense to me.

D. only has a touch menu at the bottom right but with a lot of functions in addition to "sync" and "settings" that happen to be useful.

E. has a minimizable (?) text bar at the bottom for bold, italics, etc, which is good, but doesn't absolutely need to be at the bottom. It also has a touch menu at the upper right for things like folders and tags, which seems unnecessary during text editing and could be moved to (d). It also has a two-part touch menu just off the upper right for attachments and other types of notes. I feel like others might use this menu a lot more than I do, but it's so inconveniently placed. I might even use it more if it were better placed.

And the hardware menu button behaves erratically in all these situations.

Now I haven't thought this through because it isn't my job and I'm not a designer. But my slapdash, gut reactions are as follows:

1. Fold B. the shortcut menu into A. the main menu, similar to the desktop versions of the app. (And wrt#1 make it easy to flick to.)

2. From A., remove the upper right touch menu altogether. You don't need "sync" if you already have the icon at the bottom left. You can stick "settings' into a different area if you need to.

2.5 Also remove the notifications icon. As for the search icon, let that remain there in C. the browsing screen as well.

3. From C. the browsing screen make the hardware menu button open A. the main menu.

4. From D. the note screen get rid of the elephant icon on the upper left which only leads to the main menu which is just confusing. You could have an "up" feature instead if even needed, given that Android phones have that hardware "cancel" button.

Or some ***** like that. Or freaking crowdsource suggestions. Or just quit on the product altogether. I'm tired. Evernote (for Android in particular but...) feels like a bundle of million minor nuisances, which is why I couldn't justify extending my subscription, even as I continue to use it on my Note 2. 

• 3 weeks later...

:( Deal breaker in current version of Android app (on my Note2 running kitkat) :

1. The notes scroll bar conflicts with the shortcuts gesture, can't from right to left side-flick the search shortcuts menu at all, only scrolls the notes.

Without the 'search shortcuts menu' the android app is useless to me.

Was planning to subscribe to evernote premium, but will hold out till this essential gets fixed.

+1 +1 +1

• 1 month later...

:( Deal breaker in current version of Android app (on my Note2 running kitkat) :

1. The notes scroll bar conflicts with the shortcuts gesture, can't from right to left side-flick the search shortcuts menu at all, only scrolls the notes.

Without the 'search shortcuts menu' the android app is useless to me.

Was planning to subscribe to evernote premium, but will hold out till this essential gets fixed.

+1 +1 +1

Come on you big green elephant you! I understand you are working on some awesome stuff for iOS but the Android App needs some basic TLC too.

Quick access to Shortcuts (ie. Saved Searches) is a must for regular work flow. Currently, because of the issue quoted above, the only way I can access my Shortcuts is by initiating the New note menu at the bottom of the screen, tap the 3 dots , then tap "Shortcuts" to get the pane of Saved Shortcuts. Shortcuts access is painful not short. The pane sliding from the left with a finger drag was very convenient. Awaiting an Android App update which will solve this problem...... :)

Archived