Installing evernote without admin rights

cubanghost

Hi I'm currently in a bind several users have been installing evernote in their work laptops even do is not an approved software and none of the users have admin rights on the computers, every program they try to install gets the enter the admin user name and password, but not evernote, any ideas on this.

• Level 5*

In this case I'm not sure - Evernote may allow itself to be installed for the current user without Admin rights.  Are you looking to prevent these installations in future?  I'd suggest a support ticket to raise it with Evernote 'officially'.

Windows, all of them.

It depends:

Power Users can:

• Run legacy applications, in addition to Windows 2000 or Windows XP Professional certified applications.

Install programs that do not modify operating system files or install system services.

• Customize systemwide resources including printers, date, time, power options, and other Control Panel resources.

• Create and manage local user accounts and groups.

• Stop and start system services which are not started by default.

Power Users do not have permission to add themselves to the Administrators group. Power Users do not have access to the data of other users on an NTFS volume, unless those users grant them permission.

So, if they are power users, the can install Evernote without admin. I do not think Evernote modifies OS files or installs drivers.

Windows, all of them.

It depends:

Power Users can:

• Run legacy applications, in addition to Windows 2000 or Windows XP Professional certified applications.

Install programs that do not modify operating system files or install system services.

• Customize systemwide resources including printers, date, time, power options, and other Control Panel resources.

Power Users do not have permission to add themselves to the Administrators group. Power Users do not have access to the data of other users on an NTFS volume, unless those users grant them permission.

So, if they are power users, the can install Evernote without admin. I do not think Evernote modifies OS files or installs drivers.

Thank you for your reply, in this case the users are not power users at all, they are just regular users, they cannot install anything else but evernote, is the most bizarre thing i have aver seen, in a test computer it even installed with the guest account, i tried even removing any install rights in the windows local policy and it still was able to install it, that is why im desperately looking for help, my concern is if this happens with evernote, what is preventing viruses to behave the same way, also the software is not allowed by company policy, not sure why but the owners don't want it install.

Windows, all of them.

It depends:

Power Users can:

Thank you for your reply, in this case the users are not power users at all, they are just regular users, they cannot install anything else but evernote, is the most bizarre thing i have aver seen, in a test computer it even installed with the guest account, i tried even removing any install rights in the windows local policy and it still was able to install it, that is why im desperately looking for help, my concern is if this happens with evernote, what is preventing viruses to behave the same way, also the software is not allowed by company policy, not sure why but the owners don't want it install.

Whatever it is... I doubt Evernote can do something about it... It is not for the software to decide whether it CAN be installed. Windows makes this decision. If Windows allows MSI package to be installed, there is nothing stops Evernote from proceeding. Contact support and let us know. I am curious too.

Windows, all of them.

It depends:

Power Users can:

Whatever it is... I doubt Evernote can do something about it... It is not for the software to decide whether it CAN be installed. Windows makes this decision. If Windows allows MSI package to be installed, there is nothing stops Evernote from proceeding. Contact support and let us know. I am curious too.

Will do, I did open a ticket a with them, still waiting to hear back from them, is a very peculiar situation. 

I'm the IT Staff lol, we have tried everything we can think off and it still installs, that is why im here to get some help and answers because frankly I dont know as of why is this happening. the problem is that it stills installs even on an account that has no rights but to open documents and change them....is bizarre, and yes we have install it unistall it  and the same issue persists.   

I'm the IT Staff lol, we have tried everything we can think off and it still installs, that is why im here to get some help and answers because frankly I dont know as of why is this happening. the problem is that it stills installs even on an account that has no rights but to open documents and change them....is bizarre, and yes we have install it unistall it  and the same issue persists.   

While you are waiting for EV team to reply :-)

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-prevent-users-from-installing-programs-in-windows-7

(

especially this part, I don't know if EV uses MSI for installations or not:

This setting affects Windows Installer only. It does not prevent users from using other methods to install and upgrade programs.

)

and also:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-configure-windows-to-run-only-specified-programs

• Level 5*

Lateral thinking just engaged - doesn't usually take a couple of weeks,  honest.

- As the IT guy do you have control over the firewall?  Can you block access to Evernote's IP address(es)?  

In this case I'm not sure - Evernote may allow itself to be installed for the current user without Admin rights.  Are you looking to prevent these installations in future?  I'd suggest a support ticket to raise it with Evernote 'officially'.

Yes, we allow per-user installs. (We also support per-machine installs!)

I'm not an IT-admin, but I'm pretty sure there's a Windows group policy that can be set to prohibit any install.

Blocking the IP wont help much since must users use laptops in remote sites, and connect via VPN to work and we really don't want them to use the gateway from the VPN to access the internet otherwise traffic will be excessive an slow for all users, and yes we have gone through a lot GP settings and in all the darn program stills installs, I've already gotten a response from Evernote they are looking into the issue, apparently they know about it. as soon as i get a resolution i will post it back the results.

• 2 weeks later...

And here is the solution. create a group policy for it. it really does not makes sence, but hey if that is the way to go ok that is how it has to be done. 

logo_evernote.gif
spacer.gif

Hello cubanghost,
Sorry about that, I understand. Unfortunately, preventing the users from installing the individual application itself would be a bit tricky. One workaround I can think of would be to create a group policy to prevent users from running specific Windows applications, and add Evernote to the list.
It will not prevent them from installing the application, but it will at least prevent them from running it. I'm not sure if that is enough security or not, but that is the best workaround I can think of at moment. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Korben D.
Evernote

cubanghost - Mar 28
The issue with this is we cannot stop the windows installer within GP, due to the company's main work application relies upon it to do updates, most of the time users are not with in the organization and we have to service them remotely, thus the installer is needed, are there any other options...
Sincerely
Lesmany Nunez
The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch somebody else doing it wrong, without comment.
T. H. White

Evernote
Korben D. - Mar 27
Sorry about your troubles. Blocking admin rights isn't enough to prevent the installation of the Evernote application. Have you tried setting a block for the Windows Installer within your group policy?
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc978330.aspx
Let me know if that doesn't help. Sorry about that!
cubanghost - Mar 24
Thank you for your help and understanding on this issue.
Sincerely
Lesmany Nunez
The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch somebody else doing it wrong, without comment.
T. H. White

Evernote
Mike Orendain - Mar 21
We want to let you know that we are looking into this issue, we will contact you back as soon as possible.
Thank you for your understanding.

cubanghost - Mar 20
Thank you for contacting me yes we are trying to prevent the installation of the software with out admin rights in the pc's, the users are not allowed to have it due to the confidentiality of the work they do and the documents they handle. So far none of the security settings in Group Policuy work, even the guest account in any machine we have tried can install evernote, any help on this will be really appreciated.
Sincerely
Lesmany Nunez
T. H. White

Evernote
Mike Orendain - Mar 20
Thank you for contacting Evernote support.
We will be happy to assist you. You issue is that other worker are installing Evernote in there computers?
We will be happy to assist you.

cubanghost - Mar 18
Good afternoon I'm having an issue in our company the management company is the only one allowed to have evernote installed in their devices, somehow evernote is installing in computers running windows 7 and 8 without the user having admin rights, is there a possibility to have any help with this issue.and to know why this is happening. thank you in advance.

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/evernote
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/evernote
Check out our Blog: http://blog.evernote.com
Account Settings: https://www.evernote.com/User.action
Discussion Boards: http://discussion.evernote.com/
Evernote Corporation, 305 Walnut Street, Redwood City, CA, 94063, USA

• 6 months later...

cubanghost:

I'm grateful for your post because it let me know I could install Evernote on my new work laptop without administrative privileges!  And I'm overjoyed that I don't need admin privileges to install Evernote since I rely on it every day to manage information in both my work and personal life.

I realize your question and the replies focus on admin controls, but I hope you also will ask yourselves "Why are my users installing Evernote?" I suggest that they've likely found that Evernote offers them cross-platform information management and recall that helps them do their job better and more efficiently and manage information overload in every area of their life.  Perhaps a better question than "How can I keep my users from installing Evernote?" is "How can I help my users better manage the onslaught of information they face every day?"

Let your users know that you're there to help them, not just control them.

Sincerely,

A User

• Level 5*

Er,  Hi.  I sympathise with your reliance on Evernote,  but as a worker in a variety of locations,  some of which frown heavily upon 'unauthorised' software being on the premises,  I've had to live with various takes on personal initiative.  In some cases I've been allowed to download anything I deem necessary for my work,  provided I can show that it's either free (like Evernote) or that I already purchased a licence for myself. 

In others I've had to work with seriously abysmal systems that required me to retype anything I wanted to move from one place to another because 'copy' wouldn't work,  there were no USB connections and (in one case) access was by remote terminal,  through another remote terminal with half a dozen passwords.  The final word on IT policy is with the employer (or government) concerned,  and the IT staff they hire to enforce it aren't usually the architects of that policy. 

If you decide to find a way around the 'official' line,  that may have implications on your prospects,  your employment or (extreme cases) your freedom.  Taking that risk is a matter of individual choice.  I'd say that if the official line says 'no Evernote',  it's in everyone's interests to pursue an official request to allow it,  no matter how long it takes.  Finding that it's been installed by users without authority is hardly a way to reassure the Management that it's a harmless package - they're kinda likely to  purge first and ask questions later.

Anyhow - given that you can run the app on your phone,  it's hardly necessary to install it on work desktops - and bear in mind that if this is your personal account,  your data is going to be stored on a local hard drive,  potentially accessible to unknown IT staff and subject to backup off site depending on that particular policy.

Just sayin'...

Archived