Paste without format setting.

CBMyers

Idea

I use Evernote everyday for work and for myself. However, I never want any formatting saved over from any source I pull from. 

It would be great if there was a setting where I could have all pastes be "Paste Without Formatting" by default without having to go to the menu or hit multiple keys.

Thanks,

Chris

• Like 1

30 replies to this idea

I dislike that I am forced to remember to use a special keyboard command every time simply because Evernote will not allow me to configure what my default paste CTRL+V command does. HAVE ANYONE EVER wanted to paste text WITH formatting? This should be the special command, not the other way around. I find this incredibly stupid. I never want to copy formatting, and every time I have to make efforts to avoid it. I have not yet internalized the alternate paste command CTRL+SHIFT+V, so I end up pressing WINDOWS+R, typing notepad, CTRL+V, CTRL+A, CTRL-C, back to Evernote, CTRL+V! 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Sorry, but you are bucking a long-established standard.  Almost from the beginning, CTRL-V has pasted the format as copied.  It's not going to change.

That may be. But why can't Evernote allow the user to chose? It would be a simple reassignment of a hot key, and they would ofcourse leave the default setting as "copy with format". 90 % of the time I open notepad, it is to perform a paste-copy to remove formatting. I'd rather do that than having to battle with different formatting in a document. It is quicker than changing font, size, bold, italics, line height etc. Not to mention when I then find I am blessed with weird invisible stubborn formatting, that refuse to die. Then the easy way out is to copy paste into notepad (which I should have done in the first place...), and fresh text into a new non-black-voodoo-magic-tainted document. Yeah. 

• Like 1

I am always amazed when idiots discount the original request as invalid. I use my phone app and it is stupid to force ludicrous formatting on me so I can't even paste anymore!! I have to manually type it in. Even undo formatting after the fact ruins all my old text by adding extraneous newlines as per HTML conversion. So yes, people DO WANT TO PASTE WITHOUT FORMATTING PLEASE!!! 

Edited by BSR
Removed profanity
  • Like 2

I would also very much like this feature.

As a software developer evernote is not very easy to use out of the box. i've been using evernote for almost 10 years now and some VERY SIMPLE PRO FEATURES would make it 10x better.

i use a mac and iphone btw.

1. i copy and paste from my terminal which has a black background and green text, but i NEVER want to paste with this formatting into my notes. NEVER NEVER NEVER. I literally never ever want to paste with the source formatting, i always want command-shift-v. Please Please Please make this a pro option in the settings so that i can use command-v and command-shift-v and neither will ever paste with formatting.

2. related - undo doesn't always undo the last thing. if i type a comma, then forget and paste with the stupid black background green text... i hit command-z to undo and it removes my paste AND the comma. so i can't hit command-z command-shift-v to fix it ..... sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. UNDO SHOULD ALWAYS UNDO THE LAST PASTE ONLY

3. related - it's way way too hard to prevent evernote from changing my " ' into smart quotes which breaks my code. if i copy text from my terminal with normal quotes and paste into evernote IT IS MADNESS. it keeps the god forsaken formatting which i don't want BUT IT CHANGES MY QUOTES. now if i copy and paste back into terminal i get a syntax error.

On 1/11/2020 at 9:01 PM, Yura Inversion said:

Today I found that there is such option:

Screenshot_9.png.b931558c23355513558d6826de25467e.png

Literally the only correct answer in this entire thread, where the response wasn't also delivered with a bucket of sass.

To all you big brains out there posting to just use "ctrl+shift+v" or right-click 'paste in plain text'... the whole f***** point of OP's request is that he doesn't want to have to press extra keys every single f***** time they paste something when he never wants to include the source formatting.

• Level 5*

If you are on a mac cmd-opt-v would paste without source formatting. (I imagine ctrl-alt-v would be the Windows counterpart, Gazumped might confirm this??)

Depends what and where you're pasting I think.  c-a-v will pop up a 'Paste Special' menu in some apps so you can choose how to show your content.  I think we need the OP to tell us a little more about the OS and use case here..

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, userfeedback said:

HAVE ANYONE EVER wanted to paste text WITH formatting? This should be the special command, not the other way around. I find this incredibly stupid.

Sorry, but you are bucking a long-established standard.  Almost from the beginning, CTRL-V has pasted the format as copied.  It's not going to change.

I do understand you @userfeedback and I made that mistake so many times and in many software. With time I learn the keystroke and it work almost everywhere!

Between us.. CMD+V or CMD+SHIFT+V is not that different (once you learned it). From my point of view, It would be more confusing than anything else to reassign.

• Level 5

The original request didn't say anything about the phone app, and all the discussion has been about PCs and Macs. I hate to be an idiot, but it seems like you're raising a slightly different topic.

But a very valid one. Probably the most useful place for it would be in the Android suggestions forum: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/208-android-product-feedback/. There you can make your case, and people can vote it up if they'd like to see it implemented. I know I will.

while i'm at it... there is another bug with copy and paste.

if i copy some text with a line break at the beginning, then i paste it. the line break is not included in the paste and its MADNESS (literally every other application in the universe does not behave like this)

1. i select this text

59ce9462437c2_ScreenShot2017-09-29at2_42_07PM.thumb.png.57e58cb43fb087343ad0e3901b015061.png

2. i put my cursor at the end of this line

59ce9460a758f_ScreenShot2017-09-29at2_42_16PM.png.086387c705e6865f2c9a8329a829c8b7.png

3. i paste and NOTICE THE LACK OF LINE BREAK... this pasted text should be on the next line.59ce945f74da4_ScreenShot2017-09-29at2_42_22PM.thumb.png.0f8e477092f7584320d90c6909b64977.png

On 9/29/2017 at 11:37 AM, Nicholas Vincent DiSanto said:

I would also very much like this feature.

As a software developer evernote is not very easy to use out of the box. i've been using evernote for almost 10 years now and some VERY SIMPLE PRO FEATURES would make it 10x better.

i use a mac and iphone btw.

1. i copy and paste from my terminal which has a black background and green text, but i NEVER want to paste with this formatting into my notes. NEVER NEVER NEVER. I literally never ever want to paste with the source formatting, i always want command-shift-v. Please Please Please make this a pro option in the settings so that i can use command-v and command-shift-v and neither will ever paste with formatting.

2. related - undo doesn't always undo the last thing. if i type a comma, then forget and paste with the stupid black background green text... i hit command-z to undo and it removes my paste AND the comma. so i can't hit command-z command-shift-v to fix it ..... sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. UNDO SHOULD ALWAYS UNDO THE LAST PASTE ONLY

3. related - it's way way too hard to prevent evernote from changing my " ' into smart quotes which breaks my code. if i copy text from my terminal with normal quotes and paste into evernote IT IS MADNESS. it keeps the god forsaken formatting which i don't want BUT IT CHANGES MY QUOTES. now if i copy and paste back into terminal i get a syntax error.

I agree especially with 1 and 3.  # 3 is also a huge annoyance, it's very bad for coders. I run into it all the time.  Nothing like copying out some huge terminal command only to find some quote somewhere was transformed making you have to edit it all over again to find the problem.

+1 this feature request. When I take notes I want them to all look the same for the sake of readability. My typing skills suck. I can rarely find cmd opt v on the keyboard by I can always find cmd+v so that is what I use. If we could get the option to remap keys to swap cmd+opt+v and cmd+v that would be great. 

For example, It's been several minutes that I'm trying to find a way to remove formatting from some text a pasted from a document that is no longer open. If I could have just pasted without formatting, it would have saved a significant amount of time. 

Thank you for listening to the insistent developers from years past about the pasting w/o formatting. It really is very frustrating. The option to "Swap Ctrl+V and Ctrl+Shift+V shortcut keys actions" is wonderful. Where can I find it on the Mac version. This is what I'm seeing(I redid this posting to use a screenshot without potentially sensitive info):935589652_ScreenShot2020-03-13at3_57_48PM.thumb.png.83dfd46749f6dbb989175b3f12ff445b.png

• Level 5

For a Mac there are little helper programs available to switch key combinations to different meanings. Plus the standard options in the Macs settings, I think behind the keyboard option. Personally I do not think it really does any good, because you train yourself to do it as you wish, and will have a hard time after a reset or a switch to another Mac.

Is it really that difficult to press one additional key when you want to insert without the format ?

• Level 5*
On 3/13/2020 at 1:00 PM, Nexon Louis said:

The option to "Swap Ctrl+V and Ctrl+Shift+V shortcut keys actions" is wonderful. Where can I find it on the Mac version.

These are defined menu items as per the screenshot1206794334_ScreenShot2020-04-26at2_17_26PM.png.7d1100e98a49a1c9343ed7e86361690d.png

Any of these shortcuts can be adjusted in Apple > Preferences
1580653063_ScreenShot2020-04-26at2_15_47PM.png.851cea837dce7366d37a7aa9b9978766.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Is it really that difficult to press one additional key when you want to insert without the format ?

I agree with @PinkElephant, just start using CTRL-SHIFT-V (Windows) or CMD-SHIFT-V (Mac), and I think before long it will become muscle memory.  It has for me, and I don't even have to really "think" about it when I want to paste and match style.

BTW, on the Mac, CMD-SHIFT-V is used by most Mac apps to paste and match style.  I have created my own shortcut key to match for the very few that are not, so no matter which Mac app I'm in the shortcut is the same.

• Like 2

Setup Mac system wide Paste and Match Style (see article below).

NB: you have to enter "Paste and Match Style" with that exact caps formatting. Exactly as you see it in this article. First time I entered it i entered "style" with a lower case "s" and when I tried copy and pasting from the web into an EN doc, the formatting was still there;

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/set-paste-match-style-default-mac-osx/

On 11/29/2016 at 3:29 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

BTW, if anyone's interested, Evernote did in fact implement what both the original poster and a subsequent commenter requested: in the Windows program, in Tools > Options > Shortcut keys, it is possible to choose to transpose the worldwide, decades-old standard key combinations Ctrl+V and Ctrl+Shift+V. :rolleyes:

I'm a premium user having just signed on with Evernote and have only experienced the new interface (which is horrible), but I'm missing some menus in my Windows version that are shown here.

For example, the Tools>Options>Shortcut keys doesn't exist. Under tools (both the program and the web version) I have two choices: Account Info and Preferences. Preferences only lets me choose whether to save data when I log out.

I did come up with one work-around. I have a custom template, type some characters into it, then move the cursor just before the final character and paste. I then clean it all up and move on. Frequently it will default to the standard style (I miss WordPerfect's reveal codes) and I have to go through gyrations to fix it.

There are a HUGE number of customizations that should be here, so I'm figuring I just didn't get the memo. Where the heck is it?