How to get the formatting right?

Robbie

Idea

This is a demonstration of frustration attempting to delete a bold title.

n5LOAr5.gif

As you can see, I would like to delete the bold title in article whilst keeping the rest part's formatting, but I just can't. The height of first line won't change to fit font size I set.

I guess Evernote should consider adding line spacing adjustment.

15 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Not sure I do understand what you're trying to do,  but it's not news that the editor is... basic... at best.  If you need layout formatting try PDF or other Office compatible files.  Drafting in another app and copy/ pasting into Evernote also transfers the layout.

• Level 5

n5LOAr5.gif

As you can see, I would like to delete the bold title in article whilst keeping the rest part's formatting, but I just can't. The height of first line won't change to fit font size I set.

That is a great demonstration! It does a good job illustrating the problem.

I encounter this problem frequently when I use Evernote clipper to capture a web site and want to change the title from a media created teaser title to a more informative title.

So I solved the problem by switching to Clipper to Evernote Clearly. It still maintains the larger font size and style, and can cause problems, but at least it the results are more consistent from capture to capture. So I can live with it.

Example:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/5a2100c0-1071-4c5c-a097-0b731f504380/129dc6bbac4eec416b52bf8d5b68a611

• Level 5*

n5LOAr5.gif

Robbie, many thanks for documenting this very irritating issue, which causes me a lot of extra time to edit/use Notes captured from Evernote Clearly.

I don't know if the problem is with Clearly, or the Evernote client (Win and Mac), but the INTUITIVE, EXPECTED behavior is that when the font size is changed the line height is automatically changed to match.

This is a serious problem as I very often edit a Note created by Clearly capture to:

• Revise the article title
  • Add article date and author
  • Add my summary of the article

Clearly captures the Article title at a very large (32 pt) font, and apparently sets the HTML line height to a fixed value.  I see no point or value in doing this.

Evernote Developers Please CHANGE:

• Clearly to use smaller font (use 18 pt or value set in Clearly Preferences) for Article Title
  • Clearly to NOT set fixed line height -- just let it be default HTML which resizes the height when the font is changed.
  • EN Win and EN Mac to change the line height when the font size is changed.

Thank everyone for contributing to this thread. I am also glad that EN will look into the issue.

Personally I don't like the idea of always including title in article, which the web clipper and clearly does currently. It will be better that we can control this behavior by some sort of setting.

• Level 5*

Personally I don't like the idea of always including title in article, which the web clipper and clearly does currently. It will be better that we can control this behavior by some sort of setting.

Robbie, I guess we each have our own preferences, and I'm certainly good with Evernote (all apps) providing us with more preferences/options.

For me, I'd guess that 90%+ of web pages that I capture I want Article Title, Author (Byline), and Publication date.

If you don't want title, for now you can just select the portion of the page you want to capture before clicking either the EN Clipper or Clearly.

Robbie, I guess we each have our own preferences, and I'm certainly good with Evernote (all apps) providing us with more preferences/options.

For me, I'd guess that 90%+ of web pages that I capture I want Article Title, Author (Byline), and Publication date.

If you don't want title, for now you can just select the portion of the page you want to capture before clicking either the EN Clipper or Clearly.

Since every note has its title, I don't see the necessity of always including title again in article. For example, clipping the article view in Clearly:

aFuEE5X.png?1

The note will be

l24jUbF.png

that bold title in article leads to the issue I have in the first place, and actually I don't want another title here. 

But you are right, this fully depends on user preference. 

• Level 5*

Since every note has its title, I don't see the necessity of always including title again in article. For example, clipping the article view in Clearly:

. . .

But you are right, this fully depends on user preference. 

I understand your point, and I agree that many users don't want the Note Title duplicated in the Note body.  I think the BEST solution is to make it optional via user preferences.

I prefer the web Article Title to be in the Note body because:

• Some EN clients do NOT show the Note Title very well (small font, low contrast, cuttoff).
  • Often the Web Window Title is NOT the same as the Article Title shown on the web page
  • I also usually add the web page link to the Article Title in the Note body to make it easy to get to in ALL clients. 

Cheers!

It's a few extra steps, but couldn't you just Cut the automatic title, Paste it at the top of your note, and write in your own Note Title?

the issue is that the height of first line in note body is fixed if article title is clipped into note body by clearly or web clipper. Pasting doesn't solve that. There is no way to change it unless the formatting of a whole note is removed or simplified.

As Michael has pointed out, the intuitive behavior is that when font size is manually set, line height should match automatically.

We need line height adjustment, or more simply, can remove or simplify formatting of selection rather than a whole note.

• Level 5*

Yeah, it's really weird that selecting and deleting the ENTIRE line (the top Title line) does NOT remove the underlying HTML formatting (font size and line height).  It should, but it does not.  I've never seen a HTML WYSIWYG editor that works like that.

But Jakob has already said that they will look at changing Clearly to address this issue.

I hope that fixes it, but it may also take a change in EN Win and EN Mac editors.

• Level 5*

I am not sure whether it has been posted before. I did some searches and found a tool which enables direct editing of XML tags of note body. Now I can adjust the line height by modify tags. This should be handy for (truly) advanced users.

http://enml-editor.ping13.net/

Sure, I recommend the ENML Editor on occasion, when the question seems to warrant it.

Archived