Evernote Windows 5.2.0.294 does not sync properly.

Usman Farooq

Hi Everyone.

I have installed Evernote Windows 5.2.0.2946 on my personal laptop running Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit and also on my office PC running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. Last night I made many changes in my Evernote from my personal laptop. And this morning when I run Evernote on my office PC and started syncing I was shocked to see that not all of my changes appeared in my office evernote. Only some of changes appeared. And I don't know exactly how many changes have missed. This is very disappointing behaviour of  Evernote.

Evernote Web is also showing the the same thing that my Office PC is showing. It seems Evernote did not uploaded my all changes properly from my laptop. I am in fear that now whenever I will sync from my laptop then my laptop will also loose many of my changes. Please help me to prevent my data loss.

Remember: I am using desktop version of Evernote on Windows 8.1.

Regards

Usman Farooq

I have been having sync issues since this update, it seems to be random pages. This morning, on my PC,  I cannot find a new note that is auto generated every day but it is there on the web version. I update yesterday's note on the web version and it updates on my PC but the new note still hasn't appeared. I can also update on my Android. Something is obviously wrong somewhere...

I forgot to mention I'm running Win7 64bit so don't get too paranoid about Win8...

Anyway, I've just downloaded the Beta 5.3.0.2999 Pre Release and my new notes appeared straight away - even a couple I had forgotten about that were created on my Android.

So, as far as I can see, it's now sorted...

• 6 months later...

i've had this problem a number of times. googled it extensively, tried everything. posting here now with a solution that worked for me. resetting IE did not work - reinstalling it did!

in windows 8.1 search "windows features" and click "turn windows features on or off." dialogue box opens, un-select Internet Explorer 11. let it do it's thing. restart computer. run CCleaner (or another reg cleaner). restart computer. search "windows features" and again "turn windows features on or off." SELECT IE11. wait. restart computer. done.

• Level 5*

Nope,  after many long restarts I tried the 

remove EN and databases,  restart

disconnect IE, restart

clean registry, restart

reconnect IE restart

reinstall EN and sync

500 notes (of 18K+) downloaded and then Fatal Error again.

Time for bed I think..

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Installed version 5.6.4.4632 today on a 64-bit computer running Windows 8.1. All attempts to sync have timed out with an exclamation point.  If I click on Sync, it starts over.

Hi.  Was this an update of Evernote,  or a new computer/ new install?

Sync problems here too.  EN windows v. 5.6.4632.  A few notes that are on my ipad and appear in the EN web version do not show up in windows.  Sync says it is successful but at least 2 notes are not there.  Equally disturbing, EN win says it has 10,410 notes, but EN web says it has 10,409, even though EN web has at least 2 notes that are missing from EN win.  (So win should show 2 less than web, rather than 1 more, which means en win has at least 3 notes that don't exist on the web version.  Which means if I uninstall EN win and rebuild by database from scratch from the web, I will lose these 3 notes which, of course, I have no way of identifying.  

I had a copy of Evernote on the desktop.  Eventually, it would not stop loading, so I deleted it and installed a version for Windows 8 (which I didn't want). The Google extension for Chrome was disabled.  Finally found this version for Windows 8 desktop.  The sync kept timing out (!).  It would start when I clicked it, then stall again.  I abandoned it. Before I came back to the desk top I entered stuff via the iPad.  When I returned to the desktop today, everything had updated.  Not a lot of data for the time it took.  Go figure. And thanks for the prompt response.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to do a clean install in July, after using Evernote since a month after it came out in 2008.

I haven't been able to do a sync in Windows since.  Over 19,000 notes.  

I am using the web version, but prefer the Windows client.

I have an open ticket since July.  I've cooperated fully, sent lots of log files, deleted notes they thought might be interfering.

Latest is they have told me to wait for a beta version supposedly coming soon.

Very disappointed in Evernote these days.  I have been a strong advocate and even wrote a book (now out of date) on Evernote.

• Level 5*

I tried to do a clean install in July, after using Evernote since a month after it came out in 2008.

I have an open ticket since July.  I've cooperated fully, sent lots of log files, deleted notes they thought might be interfering.

Very disappointed in Evernote these days.  I have been a strong advocate and even wrote a book (now out of date) on Evernote.

Have a look at the post just above yours...

I bought a Surface Pro 3 last week and have been struggling ever since to make Evernote (5.6.4.4632) work on it. It simply won't sync. It collapses repeatedly during the syncing, and eventually freezes. I've never been able to get beyond a few hundred notes synced from my desktop machine.

I investigated the solution(s) mentioned by gazumped above, without success. I signed in and out. I cleaned out the Evernote files in the appdata folder. I reinstalled Evernote repeatedly. Nothing seems to solve the problem. I sent in a report to Evernote yesterday and have so far received only an automated reply from them.

I am an extremely heavy user of Evernote. Because all of my notes for a book in progress are stored in it, this means I can't go off to a library right now without trying to resurrect my old laptop. I'm aware that there have been various syncing problems with the current version, but I wonder if anyone has had this experience with a Surface Pro 3 in particular.

• Level 5*

I bought a Surface Pro 3 last week and have been struggling ever since to make Evernote (5.6.4.4632) work on it. It simply won't sync. It collapses repeatedly during the syncing, and eventually freezes. I've never been able to get beyond a few hundred notes synced from my desktop machine.

I investigated the solution(s) mentioned by gazumped above, without success. 

Since you have tried fixes without success, I suggest you Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

I investigated the solution(s) mentioned by gazumped above, without success. 

Since you have tried fixes without success, I suggest you Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

Been there. Done that. I also got a new Surface pro 3 expecting it to install EN easily. The standard Support ticket experience is thus:

Submit a Support request.

Almost immediate email back saying we've received your report and are thinking about it

5 days later, a request for the log file (doesn't matter if it is germane to your query, you'll still be asked for the log file)

5 days later, they may actually address your problem.

In this case I was told to watch out on the forums for a new version of EN. That was about a month ago. 

I bought the Surface Pro in part because I wanted a tablet with the full evernote experience. 

It has had the side-effect of making me far more appreciative of Onenote, which is fabulous on the Surface pro.

I submitted the log file with my support request. I glanced through it briefly, but I was really out of my depth. (I'm just a writer -- only mildly nerdy.) Patnpm's comment is rather alarming. It suggests that others are having the same problem on one of the hottest-selling laptop/tablets on the market, and Evernote, in its usual style, is maintaining a stony silence. I'm looking at Onenote too, but the thought of shifting all those notes from one program to another is daunting.

Have a look at the post just above yours...

I had.  Didn't work.

• Level 5*

Well,  a lot of people out there seem to be running Evernote reasonably happily..  I'm just about up to 19,000 notes - and while things aren't always as quick or as smooth as I'd like,  Evernote is still usable and syncing in both Win 8.0 and 8.1 (different laptops).  My attitude to persistent tech issues is generally if it don't work first time,  just do it all over again,  only slower,  because you may have missed something. 

There are lost of possible fixes in the forums from Poodle to reinstall/ rebuild,  not to mention general system checks for available memory and disk space.  The only question is whether you have the time or the inclination to keep fixing things,  or prefer to look elsewhere.

I've mentioned before that I had a crashing on startup issue at one stage that only "fixed itself" after I uninstalled/ reinstalled Evernote on the new laptop for about the sixth time.  (The last time I tried running the installer 'as administrator' which may have done the trick..)

If you possibly can,  I'd recommend trying all the 'obvious' fixes again and again for as long as you are able in the knowledge that it's not impossible to get things working;  but annoyingly,  reality has to stick its nose in from time to time,  so if you need to look for an alternative,  that's covered in these forums too...

I even did a complete refresh of my laptop.  Made it like new again, reinstalled all the apps.  And still it did not work.  They thought something might have creeped into my data somehow, so I deleted notes around where the log file showed a fail.   Still didn't work.  That's when they told me to wait for the next beta.

• 1 month later...

Archived