"Can't Connect to Server, Please Try Again Later". I have a great internet connection.

I was having trouble syncing my phone with my Windows 7 computer.  I uninstalled Evernote and reinstalled on my computer.

Now I'm getting this error. "Can't Connect to Server, Please Try Again Later".  The thing is, I have a great internet connection.  I just restarted my router just in case and I'm still getting that message.  Just logging in with my email and standard password I use for everything.  It keeps trying to connect me to Broadband, which I never use.  Please help.

• Level 5*

Evernote can't work on more than one device without broadband.  Your computer would sync to the Evernote Server,  as would your phone.  When the computer updates a note on the server,  the phone gets the information next time it checks in and vice-versa.  If you don't use Broadband you can't use Evernote like this.

Evernote can't work on more than one device without broadband.  Your computer would sync to the Evernote Server,  as would your phone.  When the computer updates a note on the server,  the phone gets the information next time it checks in and vice-versa.  If you don't use Broadband you can't use Evernote like this.

Will it work then if I log out of Evernote on my phone?

• Level 5*

Will what work?  Your phone won't have Evernote running,  and you said that you never use broadband,  so Evernote on your computer won't connect either.. ?  

Will what work?  Your phone won't have Evernote running,  and you said that you never use broadband,  so Evernote on your computer won't connect either.. ?  

Sorry I might be misunderstanding.  You're saying I can't be logged into both at once?  Evernote on my phone has always worked.  It's evernote on my computer that doesn't work.  I don't use Broadband, my computer doesn't even have a jack for it.  (Just FYI, Evernote tells me that I only have three posts left until the 12th...)

• Level 5*

OK - you have to have access to broadband (or at least the internet) to use Evernote properly.  Your phone works because its got a data connection;  but while Evernote might eventually be made to work on your computer with some effort,  it will never connect to the phone that way.  The way Evernote works is to send information to and from their server and out to other devices over the internet.  

OK - you have to have access to broadband (or at least the internet) to use Evernote properly.  Your phone works because its got a data connection;  but while Evernote might eventually be made to work on your computer with some effort,  it will never connect to the phone that way.  The way Evernote works is to send information to and from their server and out to other devices over the internet.  

I do have wireless on my compute and it is working flawlessly.  So what I'm not understanding is why it's giving me the error that it cannot connect to the server.  My internet is definitely working.  That isn't the issue.

• Level 5*

OK now I misunderstood!  Let's start again.  There was a weirdness in Evernote that meant it couldn't connect to the internet if Internet Explorer wasn't set up correctly.  Can you see web pages via IE?  If so,  there's every chance that Evernote is connecting to the internet,  but maybe can't connect with the servers at Evernote's end.  Try switching your computer off and back on again to reset everything,  then give it an hour or two to see whether Evernote can connect.  You could also try uninstalling Evernote and re-installing it.

• 5 months later...

I had this happen to me and it turned out to be my Internet security software, my firewall. It didn't have specific rules to allow Evernote to have access to the Internet. I added it to the approved list and it connects to the server.

I'm posting this here just in case someone else has this problem.

• 1 month later...

Okay so I am having the same problem. I can't connect to the server.

On my tablet I can' connect. Using the Web application, I can connect. Its just with the Downloaded Application I can't connect to the server.

Uninstall and Reinstalled nothing. The previous problem that I had was that it wasn't able to sync. Can someone help.

I submitted a ticket so hopefully I can get a response soon.  

Tried again this morning. Uninstalled and re-installed in new location. On login, and request to re-set password: "Cannot connect to server"

I am now having this problem, beginning yesterday evening. All other devices connect to the server except Window Vista.

Same here since yesterday, Evernote on my laptop under Win Vista cannot connect to the server though the laptop is connected to the Internet. I have restarted the computer, logged off and in and have added Evernote to the list of authorized software on Windows Firewall but it still does not work. Any ideas?

Close Evernote. Open Internet Explorer. If it says "Evernote is ready to use in IE, please hit accept!" or something like that, hit accept. Then, open your Internet Settings. Clear ALL history, cache, temporary files, etc. Close IE and open Evernote. Voila.

I had the same problem, did some research, and this worked for me. If this isn't working for you, reply and I will help you figure out how to fix it.

Be blessed. :)

Hey,

So I did that and it didn't work. The Evernote that I can't open is not that web application one. Its the actually one you download onto your desktop. That's what its saying "Can't connect to server."

Thanks for your help thou

Yes but like I said, I am not running Evernote on a web application. If I wanted to use the web application I would use Chrome and yes that works.

I am not running XP on my desktop computer but Vista. and its service pack is 2. There isn't a service pack 3 for vista. 

I have cleared browsing data (cache, cookies, etc.) in IE and Chrome (just in case) but Evernote is still not working on my laptop (Win Vista SP2). It does work with the web application on Chrome though but I had created some notes on the desktop software that did not get synchronised. 

Greetings.  I had the same problem with "Evernote v5.6.4.4632 (272632) Public" on one of my Win7 machines, but not the other.  I have found the answer on another thread. 100% confirmed.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/71001-getting-cant-connect-to-server-error-message-on-windows-app/  

Even if you don't use IE (which I don't), go into its Internet Options -> Advanced (Tab) -> and Check "Use TLS 1.2" (or your highest version).  

It is not necessary to uncheck "Use SSL 3.0," but in the light of Poodle, it may be prudent.  Evernote disabled SSL3 on 2014.10.16 and many people are left scratching their heads if their settings don't have TLS enabled.  http://blog.evernote.com/tech/

Greetings.  I had the same problem with "Evernote v5.6.4.4632 (272632) Public" on one of my Win7 machines, but not the other.  I have found the answer on another thread. 100% confirmed.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/71001-getting-cant-connect-to-server-error-message-on-windows-app/  

Even if you don't use IE (which I don't), go into its Internet Options -> Advanced (Tab) -> and Check "Use TLS 1.2" (or your highest version).  

It is not necessary to uncheck "Use SSL 3.0," but in the light of Poodle, it may be prudent.  Evernote disabled SSL3 on 2014.10.16 and many people are left scratching their heads if their settings don't have TLS enabled.  http://blog.evernote.com/tech/

Tried this and can confirm it works. I don't use IE either, but when I checked the "Use TLS" option (I had TLS 1.0) under the "Advanced Internet Opions," it worked like a charm! Thank you so much for reliant help, very much appreciated! And I didn't lose any of my unsynced information, whoo!

That fixed it.

The problem started (for me) yesterday, and selecting 'Use TLS 1.0' in IE fixed it.

I have not even launched IE in more than a year. Something must have changed on the Evernote server in the last few days to require this change.

This really works! Thanks!

Okay guys, you'll have  to fix the problem with the dektop access to my Evernote data.

It seems that the Internet access works but I really do not like the interface, I'm used to the other form.

Now, I've tried to contact yoou through the usual forms buit never got an aknowledgement by email.

That's bad really bad!

So I guess it will be dumparoo for Evernote and some bad mouthing...... Too bad and too late!

Okay guys, you'll have  to fix the problem with the dektop access to my Evernote data.

It seems that the Internet access works but I really do not like the interface, I'm used to the other form.

Now, I've tried to contact yoou through the usual forms buit never got an aknowledgement by email.

That's bad really bad!

So I guess it will be dumparoo for Evernote and some bad mouthing...... Too bad and too late!

The answer has been posted many times on several threads now, and not a single exception to the fix working, it only takes a moment to implement, and the reason for change was in response to Poodle bug and SSL3 vulnerability. 

That being said, Evernote certainly dropped the ball on letting people know explicitly with a popup message, or global email, or flash news posting on the homepage. Now they have a PR cleanup project. 

In case you misunderstand the fix, you FIX it in IE, but you don't use IE and the web interface. That's just were your PC's setting is to take care of the security vulnerability. Once you set that setting, Close IE and go back to your desktop version.

This fix works for Win Vista.  Thank you! 

I don't use IE at all.  I use Chrome.  

I went to IE 32-bit version and left the SSL2.0 and SSL 3.0 checked and added a check to TLS 1.0 and hit APPLY.  

Then I could log into Evernote desktop and resync with no error.  Data I added 2 days ago was not lost it sync fine to the server.  I did not lose any data.

This was a strange problem I wish I did not have to investigate.  However, I found this fix rather quickly to allow desktop version of Evernote to connect to server.

Going into Internet Explorer (which I don't normally use) and enabling TLS 1.2 didn't do it but when I also unchecked "Use SSL 3.0", that repaired it. Thank you! Back to work!

I was having trouble syncing my phone with my Windows 7 computer.  I uninstalled Evernote and reinstalled on my computer.

Now I'm getting this error. "Can't Connect to Server, Please Try Again Later".  The thing is, I have a great internet connection.  I just restarted my router just in case and I'm still getting that message.  Just logging in with my email and standard password I use for everything.  It keeps trying to connect me to Broadband, which I never use.  Please help.

The same thing happened to me. I have Evernote on my Android smartphone, also on Android tablet. It used to also work on my Win7 desktop. About a week ago, the desktop stopped synching. So I uninstalled Evernote and reinstalled on my desktop. Now I get "Can't Connect to Server, Please Try Again Later" My desktop is working fine with everything else.

• Level 5*

The same thing happened to me. I have Evernote on my Android smartphone, also on Android tablet. It used to also work on my Win7 desktop. About a week ago, the desktop stopped synching. So I uninstalled Evernote and reinstalled on my desktop. Now I get "Can't Connect to Server, Please Try Again Later" My desktop is working fine with everything else.

So have you tried the TLS fix described above?

So have you tried the TLS fix described above?

WOW!  That did it! Thanks to both of you.

If you are having this issue - follow these directions. Been having trouble syncing my laptop for the past day (realistically, since October 16, but did not notice it until I was trying to sync notes from two computers) and this step by step instruction solved the issue in less than a minute. Really quick, direct solution to "cannot connect to server" issues. 

thanks for posting. It was a huge help.

Folks,

First-time participant here so goes easy on me if my contribution here doesn't follow the preferred protocol (I'll get it, I promise), but I wanted to confirm that the general fix described earlier - i.e, go to Internet Options in the control panel, then to the Advanced settings tab, then scroll down to Security, then uncheck the option for SSL 3 and 2 and then enable the TLS option - does indeed work, now allowing me to use the installed desktop version of this wonderful application.  The sync is happening as I type this, and so long as these adjustments do not set in motion a cascade of other issues, this solution worked.  

By way of summary, I came to this community forum in pursuit of an answer when my trouble ticket was booted back and I was told I couldn't be helped.  I then typed in the error code I was getting when I tried to connect - i.e., Cannot Connect to Server; Please Try Again Later - and followed the thread.   Problem solved.

I am working on a Lenovo SL500 ThinkPad running Vista for Business, using the Chrome browser, the firewall on.  

Many thanks!

Exactly right E. Dougherty.

Ironic about your ticket, as https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/71001-getting-cant-connect-to-server-error-message-on-windows-app/?p=313108 specifically shows they are well aware of the situation, although didn't expect it beyond XP. And in their own tech blog (cited above) it outlines the intentional changes http://blog.evernote.com/tech/2014/10/16/evernote-and-poodle/ Perhaps you got a support-noob, of minimum wage interest level. 

On cascade failures...I at first thought that Quicken transaction downloading was affected by disabling SSL 3.0, but it turned out that I only needed to make sure TLS 1.0 version was enabled too. I would look to enabling all versions of TLS as a troubleshooting step, before firing up SSL 3.0 again. As SSL 3.0 is currently under exploit, and retired, any trouble you run into from a current software package will surely be patched very quickly. 

Of parallel interest: This article goes into how to disable SSL 3.0 on Firefox and Chrome. https://www.digicert.com/ssl-support/disabling-browser-support-ssl-v3.htm#mozilla_firefox

Exactly right E. Dougherty.

Ironic about your ticket, as https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/71001-getting-cant-connect-to-server-error-message-on-windows-app/?p=313108 specifically shows they are well aware of the situation, although didn't expect it beyond XP. And in their own tech blog (cited above) it outlines the intentional changes http://blog.evernote.com/tech/2014/10/16/evernote-and-poodle/ Perhaps you got a support-noob, of minimum wage interest level. 

On cascade failures...I at first thought that Quicken transaction downloading was affected by disabling SSL 3.0, but it turned out that I only needed to make sure TLS 1.0 version was enabled too. I would look to enabling all versions of TLS as a troubleshooting step, before firing up SSL 3.0 again. As SSL 3.0 currently under exploit, and retired, any trouble you run into from a current software package will surely be patched very quickly. 

Of parallel interest: This article goes into how to disable SSL 3.0 on Firefox and Chrome. https://www.digicert.com/ssl-support/disabling-browser-support-ssl-v3.htm#mozilla_firefox

Very helpful, and I really appreciate the elaboration for Chrome and Firefox. And regarding the way the ticket was handled, you're right that Evernote first alerted the community to the problem on the 16th of the month whereas my ticket was closed as unresolvable on the 23rd.  

That said, it was far more enjoyable to arrive at a solution through a forum like this, and with knowledge like yours, than to just await an answer.  I learned something, and I'll be returning here often as I try to extend my knowledge of this invaluable tool.  Many thanks!

This solves the problem!!  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

this totally worked! 

finally i can use my evernote again!

I have found the answer 100% confirmed.

Even if you don't use IE (I use chrome for my fav browser - but still do this), open IE / go into its Internet Options -> Advanced (Tab) -> and Check "Use TLS 1.2" (or your highest version).  

Kerbeve Tenonor, on 19 Oct 2014 - 2:36 PM, said: 

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you so much. After reinstalling Windows 7 I couldn't get Evernote, Dropbox, Office 365 working. Logically I first thought it was a firewall-thing, then something to do with the driver of the network adapter, then...

I just write this post hoping that the keywords I write in it might save someone else the half-a-day I spent cursing at my computer. If web browser works but nothing else connects to internet then Kerbeve Tenonor's link has the answer!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a great internet connection and I am using Evernote Web (or online) but I am continuously interrupted with 'cannot connect to server' error. I lose what I have been writing at that time and have to open up the note to start from where I left off. What is the issue with connection? I have been experiencing this for over a week for unknown reasons. Please advise.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, jimfwilliams said:

I have a great internet connection and I am using Evernote Web (or online) but I am continuously interrupted with 'cannot connect to server' error. I lose what I have been writing at that time and have to open up the note to start from where I left off. What is the issue with connection? I have been experiencing this for over a week for unknown reasons. Please advise.

Hi.  Have you tried any of the suggestions in this thread?  You can monitor your own connection with third party apps,  and Evernote's activity here - http://status.evernote.com/ or Twitter @evernotestatus 

What you can't see is the traffic at Evernote's end from the percentage of the other 200M accounts that are syncing with their servers.  If you can use the desktop version it's at least possible to work on or offline provided you sync every hour or so...

Archived