(Archived) Please cache notes!

So I go to the grocery store, open Evernote, open my shopping list and start shopping. The screen locks as I am picking something out so I unlock the phone and the note is blank. I try to sync and I get "An error occurred while loading the note" because now I am deep in the store and without cell reception. I now need to walk back to the front of the store, find reception so that I can sync the note again and then take care to not let the Pre's screen sleep again. This is a terrible.

Cache the note on the phone until I close the note. If the app on the Pre ever wants to connect to the cloud and check to see if there is a new version of the note I have open, that is fine, but if it fails, don't show me an error and an empty note. Show me the cached note!

Applications on the Pre have very limited storage capabilities, so we don't currently have a way to store a lot of data on the device. We hope to see this improve in the future, however.

Thanks

Applications on the Pre have very limited storage capabilities, so we don't currently have a way to store a lot of data on the device. We hope to see this improve in the future, however.

Thanks

Seems like a fix shouldn't be too hard for Palm to implement, since the music and video apps have access to large amounts of storage (actually, pretty much all of the storage space available).

Palm probably just doesn't want complaints of mysteriously disappearing storage space right now, considering the Pre is on the lower end of the gigabyte spectrum.

Possibly. I just checked and my database is at around 231MB, so not huge but not insignificant.

But, maybe someone can answer: is there a mobile client that caches all notes? I notice that the iPhone allows the user to select notes for offline viewing. This seems to imply that not all iPhone notes are automatically cached. Such a model would work great for the Pre, as well, and also minimize storage.

The Pre currently limits apps to a total of 5MB of data, and this is being lowered to 1MB per app.

Wow. Crazy. And they won't let you store files in the mass storage partition and access them from there?

Nope. Windows Mobile lets app use the general-purpose file system, but iPhone and Pre make apps work in their own little "sandbox".

Fascinating. Well, looking forward to maybe seeing the ability to specify specific notes to save locally. I'm housing hunting, and it would be great to save property listings that way. Some areas we're looking at have little or no EVDO reception (although, of course, we won't be moving there!).

Thanks for heads up on why it is the way it is. It makes far more sense.

I am actually most concerned with any Notes that I have currently opened, not all my notes. In my grocery store shopping example, I have a note open on the Pre, the Pre falls asleep or I switch apps, and go back to the Note and it needs to reload from the cloud. Is there a way to just store any open notes in memory or would that be something Palm would prevent or disallow?

I thought that the data visible in an open card would still be visible even if you switched to a card from another app, without getting it from the server again. Is this not what you're seeing?

I thought that the data visible in an open card would still be visible even if you switched to a card from another app, without getting it from the server again. Is this not what you're seeing?

Speaking for myself, I've had note cards open that are visible, then I lose connection (say, move out of an EVDO area), and the note contents disappear. All I can access then are the contents of the details tab. I can't see the contents again until I reestablish a connection with the server.

• 1 year later...

Seems to me, if you are in developer mode (have root), then one should be able to have open access. I dare say a LOT of palm pre users have rooted their device.

Even if its not a officially supported way.. you should give users a method to have notes locally.

W/o a local copy any note manager is useless... completely...I have stopped really using evernote and back to using a non-clould based memo/note manager.

I would suggest... find a way (once you have root, you can do anything!)... or someone else will.

Archived