(Archived) Noscript 1.9.5 and Evernote Clipper Bookmarklet

Serin

Hi, all,

Finally, I think I find the root cause of my Evernote bookmarklet not working properly in Firefox, which I thought it was because of the upgrade of Firefox 3.5 at first. Now I narrow the problem into the upgrade of one of my extensions, Noscript upto 1.9.5.

Before the upgrade of the extension, everything worked just fine. After the upgrade, the popup windows after hitting the bookmarklet only display 2 lines of text: Loading Clip and Close Clipper. However, after closing the clipper, the page is clipped into my notebook in use twice.

Even I set Noscript to temporarily allow all scripts in the page I want to clip, the problem persists. However, if I disable Noscript and restart Firefox, Evernote bookmarklet works fine. When I re-enable Noscript and restart Firefox, the problem appears again.

Evernote bookmarklet and Noscript extension are equally important to me. Is there any suggestion to resolve the problem?

Hi there Serin:

I just noticed the same thing. I disabled NoScript, and the EN bookmarklet clipped just fine. Same results as you reported when NoScript is enabled.

Fortunately, the NoScript extension is updated very frequently, so perhaps if the author is apprised of this conflict it can be made compatible. Or perhaps Evernote can revise it on their end?

There's a note from the NoScript author about this at the NoScript forum:

http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1336&p=4370&hilit=evernote#p4370

It reads:

"The Evernote bookmarklet cannot work because of the way it's written.

However the Evernote extension will work because NoScript contains specific work-arounds for that."

So it seems Mr Maone is aware of this. But that involved an earlier version of NoScript from back in May: NoScript 1.9.2.6. Oddly enough, it seemed to work with that bookmarklet for me back then.

Anyhow, thanks for pointing this out.

-eliuri

i'm experiencing the same problem with FF3.5 and noscript 1.9.5

i actually just started using noscript today, so the bookmarklet was working fine for me with FF3.5, before noscript 1.9.5 was added. i did some searching and found this page:

http://getsatisfaction.com/EvernoteBETA ... uld_say_so

it lists a code to be added to noscript's XSS exceptions, but sadly, it doesn't work.

i just installed the new evernote web clipper addon for FF3.5 (3.0.0.51093). this works, but with a major annoyance. if you don't have the pc/mac program (i have the latest version - 3.1.0.1200 (49620)) installed, it's suppose to clip to the web. however, if you do have the pc program installed, clicking the the toolbar button to clip a page first opens the program. you then have to click it again in order for the clip to be saved. why??? also, i don't use the pc program often, so i don't want that opening up every time i want to clip something. it uses 40+ MB of memory on my system.

1. so is there no way to have the bookmarklet work with the latest noscript version?

2. if not, can we please get an option for the FF3.5 web clipper addon to clip to the web even if we have the program installed?

If you clip directly to the client on the Mac or Windows, the data will be handed directly to our client without going to a web server.

If you clip to the web using our add-on or the bookmarklet, we need permission to retrieve the contents of the page and send them to our web site. If Noscript is blocking this permission, you'll need to uninstall Noscript or tweak it to give "www.evernote.com" special permissions.

If you clip directly to the client on the Mac or Windows, the data will be handed directly to our client without going to a web server.

If you clip to the web using our add-on or the bookmarklet, we need permission to retrieve the contents of the page and send them to our web site. If Noscript is blocking this permission, you'll need to uninstall Noscript or tweak it to give "www.evernote.com" special permissions.

1. it would be nice if you told us HOW to tweak noscript to allow the bookmarlet/add-on to work. i've already added evernote.com to noscript's white list, but that doesn't solve the problem.

2. i'll reiterate the problem with the firefox add-on again:

i just installed the new evernote web clipper addon for FF3.5 (3.0.0.51093). this works, but with a major annoyance. if you don't have the pc/mac program (i have the latest version - 3.1.0.1200 (49620)) installed, it's suppose to clip to the web. however, if you do have the pc program installed, clicking the the toolbar button to clip a page first opens the program. you then have to click it again in order for the clip to be saved. why??? also, i don't use the pc program often, so i don't want that opening up every time i want to clip something. it uses 40+ MB of memory on my system.

3. can we please get an option for the FF3.5 web clipper addon to clip to the web even if we have the program installed?

We're not familiar with how every third-party Firefox extension is written, so don't have advice on how to prevent it from breaking our application.

If you leave Evernote running on your PC, then you should be able to clip to the application with a single click while the application is running.

If the extension clips to the web, it will be using exactly the same Javascript as the bookmarklet. So if the bookmarklet doesn't work for you, neither would the extension.

I don't like clipping to client directly because I can not tag the clip at the same time. I have to open the client after clipping to add tags so that's one more operation I have to do for each clip. Moreover, It seems there's no existing tag suggestion when I add tags to a clip in client.

There's also possibility that I forget to sync before closing client so that my latest clips won't be sync'd to the server until next time I open the client on the same machine. Using bookmarlet makes sure that the server always have the latest contents.

On the other hand, under Linux OS where the client is running in WINE, is it possible to clip web page to the client? I haven't tried it.

Those are the reasons that I only prefer to use bookmarklet instead of the extension.

I don't like clipping to client directly because I can not tag the clip at the same time. I have to open the client after clipping to add tags so that's one more operation I have to do for each clip. Moreover, It seems there's no existing tag suggestion when I add tags to a clip in client.

There's also possibility that I forget to sync before closing client so that my latest clips won't be sync'd to the server until next time I open the client on the same machine. Using bookmarlet makes sure that the server always have the latest contents.

On the other hand, under Linux OS where the client is running in WINE, is it possible to clip web page to the client? I haven't tried it.

Those are the reasons that I only prefer to use bookmarklet instead of the extension.

Serin, i'm with you on that one.

with a little searching, it seems like this problem isn't a new one. both sides pass blame to the other. it baffles me that both companies haven't been able to come together to solve this problem. instead, you make us choose one or the other. don't get me wrong, i like evernote. i've been a loyal fan for almost a year. but if i had to choose btw evernote and online security, i'll be choosing the latter.

i really hope there's a solution soon. i'd like to continue using evernote, but MS onenote 2007 is looking really good right now. can't believe i've had this program all along.

Evernote's Javascript web clipper uses Javascript to take the content of one web page and hand it to a different web server.

You've installed an add-on in your web browser that attempts to prevent Javascript from taking the contents of a web page and handing it to a different web server. I don't think there's anything we can do to avoid looking like a "bad guy" to Noscript the way you're currently using it.

Archived