Shortcut of a single note on windows 7 desktop (actual windows client note, not the note URL link)

kkrathi

Hi I tried searching in the forums but couldn't find it.  I apologize if this has been already answered.  I am desperately wanting to create a shortcut for few notes in Evernote that I use on a daily basis and want to invoke straight from my windows desktop.  How can I do this?  Some of the discussion threads show you can right click on a note and paste the note link as shortcut but that one is a web link of the note.  I want to access the note native to evernote's windows software version itself.  Can anyone help?

• Level 5*

You can't edit notes unless a main app is also running on the same device.  What's wrong with installing the desktop version of Evernote on that computer and using the normal note links?  The alternative is to share your notes publicly so they get a URL,  but then they will be read-only and anyone with that URL can see the content.

You can't edit notes unless a main app is also running on the same device.  What's wrong with installing the desktop version of Evernote on that computer and using the normal note links?  The alternative is to share your notes publicly so they get a URL,  but then they will be read-only and anyone with that URL can see the content.

Nothing wrong with installing the desktop.  In fact that is exactly what I am asking for.  I already have the desktop version.  And I don't even mind running evernote in the background.  All I am asking is through the windows desktop itself can I create a shortcut to a particular note within evernote without having to go to evernote first and then clicking on the note.  And I don't want the URL link as the shortcut which is all I could find so far in terms of creating a note shortcut.  So what I am asking for, is possible?

• Level 5*

Seems like the rues in that area have changed a bit - right-click a note in the desktop version and use 'copy note link' to get the address of that note.  Right-click your desktop and choose New > Shortcut and then paste the link address,  and name the shortcut something appropriate.  I recall this used to open an Evernote window to edit the note,  but it now opens a browser window with no editing option.  You can read,  but not write to the contents.  Which may be OK for look-up details,  but not for possible changes.

The other option would be to use the Evernote app and create a saved search to jump quickly to the note or notes you;re interested in.

Seems like the rues in that area have changed a bit - right-click a note in the desktop version and use 'copy note link' to get the address of that note.  Right-click your desktop and choose New > Shortcut and then paste the link address,  and name the shortcut something appropriate.  I recall this used to open an Evernote window to edit the note,  but it now opens a browser window with no editing option.  You can read,  but not write to the contents.  Which may be OK for look-up details,  but not for possible changes.

The other option would be to use the Evernote app and create a saved search to jump quickly to the note or notes you;re interested in.

Thanks Gazumped.  That is what I am frustrated about.  Evernote used to open the native client window and now it only opens the browser window when you create the shortcut in the manner you described.  Argggh. I wish Evernote has some other hidden option or if anyone knows any other trick up their sleeve.

If you hold CTRL while selecting "Copy Note Link" it appears as though it will force the note link to be the old, evernote:/// format.

Not sure about other clients (and I know that isn't the scope of this thread, but still...) I guess there could be something worth looking into a tool that could convert the two?
I think the web link has the same information that would make it work. You would need to shuffle the info around a little :)

If you hold CTRL while selecting "Copy Note Link" it appears as though it will force the note link to be the old, evernote:/// format.

Not sure about other clients (and I know that isn't the scope of this thread, but still...) I guess there could be something worth looking into a tool that could convert the two?

I think the web link has the same information that would make it work. You would need to shuffle the info around a little :)

The CTRL thing worked on windows!  Thank you. :-)

Yep - CTRL worked (Windows 7 client). The resulting link when used as a Windows shortcut to the app brings up the Evernote app with that note selected. I'd like it to bring up the note only in it's own window. It's okay if it also launches the app, but I want the note-only to be in the forefront. Is there a switch I can add to the end of the link to tell it to bring up the note in it's own window?

I don't think there is a switch, but there is an option in the settings to open notes from external apps in their own window.

Tools -> Options -> "Note" Tab -> "Open links from other applications in another window"

This should open the notes on their own. (Though in my testing, it seems that they open the main EN window too, not sure if that is the intended behaviour or not)

• 2 months later...

I don't think there is a switch, but there is an option in the settings to open notes from external apps in their own window.

Tools -> Options -> "Note" Tab -> "Open links from other applications in another window"

This should open the notes on their own. (Though in my testing, it seems that they open the main EN window too, not sure if that is the intended behaviour or not)

Hi, I followed this but only the main EN window opens not the note itself. Did I missed anything?

Archived