set time of reminder when creating note by email

howecome

Idea

I love being able to create reminders by forwarding emails to evernote. It would be great if I could also set the time of the reminder.  Is it possible now and if so how?

If not, I think it would be a very useful feature to add.

Thanks.

• Like 1

25 replies to this idea

Okay... sorry, but how exactly does that answer the original posts question?

I, too, want to specify a TIME to receive a reminder (not just a date - which the instructions give that you linked to at http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/23480523).

And I want to receive that email at the time the reminder is set for. I have a client who gets MANY emails, so one in the morning on the day of would be useless. She needs it about an hour before her appointment so she can review and have it fresh in her mind.

• Level 5*

It was kind've an implied "if its not in the knowledge base instructions then it's probably not possible" on the setting a time issue..  since the developers read the threads here,  they might take it on board for a future update.  Meantime Evernote does many things,  but not,  at present,  this.

If you use the Chrome web clipper to clip specifically Gmail emails, it can be done from your browser. The advantage of this method (if you use Gmail on desktop) is that you don't have to remember the mail-to-Evernote syntax in your email subject line. For some, it could be more intuitive this way. Plus you can't set a date/ time reminder through the subject line.

1. Click on the Evernote web clipper icon... make any changes to the note title, notebook, tag, comments, etc... or simply clip it as is.

Clipping%20gmail%20emails.PNG?dl=0

2. Once the web clipper has finished syncing, you'll see an option to set a reminder. You can also set a date and time if you wish. 

adding%20reminders%20to%20clipped%20emai

I have figured out how to send an email to Evernote and include a date/ time specific reminder in the subject line (which may or may not be practical depending). It's just an example of how one can find a solution if you tinker. This would work in my case, if I wanted, say, to send an email to Evernote with a date reminder while I'm on my iPad... by including it in the email subject line. It would involve having a Gneo app account (for iOS). This is what I've just tested out:

1. Include the time and date in the subject line of the email you want to send to Gneo/ Evernote (Gneo syncs with notebooks within the Gneo stack in your Evernote account). In this case, for testing purposes, I have a ".Today" notebook in my Gneo Stack. So I'm sending it there. This is as much as you need to do... the rest will be automated behind the scenes. All you have to do is include the time and date... plus remember to send it to a specific notebook in the Gneo stack (@.Today in this case). It will then show up in your reminder list in either that notebook context or else in "All notes". Below you will see the steps in the subsequently automated process:

Clipping%20to%20Gneo.PNG?dl=0

2. Once Gneo has synced with Evernote, it imports the email I sent to the ".Today" notebook within the Gneo stack in Evernote... adding a reminder according to the date in the note title... 

Email%20to%20Gneo%20Stack.PNG?dl=0

3. Evernote, in turn, receives the modified note from Gneo and includes the same reminder in Evernote:

Final%20Gneo%20Evernote%20result.PNG?dl=

• Like 2

Great tip Frank! Not only can I set the reminder for gmails via the webclipper, I can do it with a clip from any site. Don't know how I never noticed the reminder icon.

It's pretty darn cool... except you'll have to resort to workarounds on mobile devices. There are quite a few Evernote features tucked away here and there... one would never think to take another look at the "after clip" box, for example... plus there's "Google simultaneous search" to be had in the Settings menu of the Web Clipper. I learn something new almost every day with EN. Especially with new ways to search... even if I don't need them ;-)

I have found that evernote reminders in the morning that come to my mailbox app work great because in mailbox you can set the email to come back to you at a specific time. So you get the reminder in the morning and then defer it until you need it later that day. Pretty good workaround

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
19 minutes ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

Hi Everyone. Is this feature still not available? Could not find anything else about this.

What specific feature are you asking about?

Native Evernote can set a reminder date via email, but has no option for time

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005347

• @Notebook: Notes will go into your default notebook unless you specify one using the at (@) symbol and notebook name, such as @travel. You do not need quotes if you have a space in the notebook title. For example, you would write @International Travel or @My Notebook.
  • #Tag: Add tags using the pound or hashtag (#) symbol, such as #manchester #england
  • !Reminder: Use the exclamation point (!) to set a reminder. To add an alarm to the reminder, add the word tomorrow, or a date with numeric year, month, day separated by slashes. For example: !, !tomorrow, !2013/06/24
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 9/10/2019 at 4:31 PM, Carlos_The_Jackal said:

Is it still not possible to add a reminder time when emailing to evernote?

Hi.  It's been possible for the last couple of years at least...

On 3/27/2017 at 2:27 PM, gazumped said:

!Reminder: Use the exclamation point (!) to set a reminder. To add an alarm to the reminder, add the word tomorrow, or a date with numeric year, month, day separated by slashes. For example: !, !tomorrow, !2013/06/24

• Like 1

There is a way to do this using Filterize.

Reading through the thread there appears to be a distinction between those who want to be reminded on a particular day (or x days before) and those who want to be reminded at a particular time in the day.

I want to be reminded at a particular time of day - not just at "some time" during that day.

Why? I also us Filterize's api to put Evernote reminders in my Google Calendar. This way I have a link to Evernote in my Google Calendar and that note gives me context (which for me will include minutes of the previous meeting) for any given meeting at any time of day.

I do everything in Evernote: calendar, todos, notes and emails. I apply Evernote for GTD and I collect everything in Evernote. (I appreciate not everyone wants to do that but for me Evernote is my only storage and retrieval tool unless a file is bigger than 200mb.)

I use ISO8601 for date and time. Hence a meeting in London on November 1 2019 at 12 noon is: 20191101T1200Z. This might not be for everyone but you can use any method you wish using filterize.

Here is my action:

image.thumb.png.29809e155d78215bddeee7aa04542168.png

The image above sets out the rule.

Any email that I send to Evernote that contains "!reminder" will be scanned for the date and time of the desired reminder. Hence, if the email contains reminder!20191101T1800Z this shows up as an appointment in Google Calendar at 6pm on November 1, 2019 and a Evernote reminder at the same time. In Google Calendar I will have a link to evernote with the email that caused the meeting.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, raving_fan_of_Evernote said:

I use ISO8601 for date and time  ..  20191101T1200Z

I added my vote to the request

I'm also a Filterize fan, but I believe Evernote should accept date/time as a parameter

I just have to figure out zulu time (UTC) :); I have UTC-7 noted on my journal template

@gazumped

I work in international tax and I am UK based. Sometimes my client wants a call at 1600 PST, 1600 EST or 1600 CET. Hence, I want to be able to set the reminder in the client's point of view - not my own. (Very few clients are in my own timezone.)

I do appreciate this is not what Evernote was designed for. Nonetheless, this is how I use it and it works wonders for me.

My reminders put slots in my google calendar and the google calendar will have an Evernote note that gives me context.

Maybe my use case is rare - but there it is.

I like to keep context in Evernote and only use google calendar to plan my day. For every meeting in my calendar I need context and a link to Evernote gives me that context at speed. (Sometimes that context might be an advanced search in Evernote). Also the context evolves so keeping it (the context) in calendar is not as powerful as keeping it in Evernote.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, raving_fan_of_Evernote said:

I work in international tax and I am UK based

Thanks for the additional detail - I understand why you'd want a reminder at 4pm someone else's time.  Now that you mention it I also find the need from time to time to 'translate' a different time zone into my GMT - in my case it's usually webinars.  There are already web resources that will do the job - again in my case most webinar promoters seem to have a 'what time zone are you in?' so I can get the correct UK time easily.  Since cross-border connections continue to grow,  maybe this is something that Evernote can consider - though there will have to be a lot more votes at the top left corner to make it happen...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Just out of curiosity,  why the need for multiple timezones?

And don't get me started about needing Daylight Savings Time  😮

• Haha 3
8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

though there will have to be a lot more votes at the top left corner to make it happen...

As a newbie I had no idea about the voting system. I only searched google and this thread kept coming up. I only went onto this forum because I now have a solution that works for me and hitherto was not coming up in any google search. Mea culpa, now I know better: if you want Evernote to change something you get it voted for. Fair enough. I can't tell you how many times I searched for this on Google and then finally wrote to Filterize who had a solution all along. If any one else sees this thread on Google please take a moment to join this forum and vote for this change. Thank you.