Fatal Error

jchu17

not sure if anyone else coming across this error, but just started receiving it today. Unable to use my evernote. Have uninstalled and reinstalled, but i'm getting a "fatal error" notice. 

"Evernote.exe v.5.2.0.2946 has encountered a problem and needs to close."

anyone know how to solve this issue?

I'm seeing it also. I submitted a trouble ticket for it and sent on a copy of the activity log to EN yesterday (3/5/2014). I'm eager to get this fixed, since the error is keeping me from accessing my local notebook.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the responses  - I'm on W7 and w8.0 (64 bit) and don't seem to have this problem on either OS though I'm running the same version.  There was an oddity about updating the app though - the installer removed the old version,  but then stopped without reinstalling the new version.  I manually downloaded the package (again) from Evernote.com and things went fine from there.

I'd suggest to both of you - if you haven't already done it - that a complete removal of the app via Revo Uninstaller and a clean reinstall might help.  Please do check the details of making a local backup of your database before you do anything drastic.  More information and full details are in the forums.

not sure if anyone else coming across this error, but just started receiving it today. Unable to use my evernote. Have uninstalled and reinstalled, but i'm getting a "fatal error" notice. 

"Evernote.exe v.5.2.0.2946 has encountered a problem and needs to close."

anyone know how to solve this issue?

Hi. To resolve this issue, you need to uninstall Evernote completely. Remove all its contents and then install it back again. For more information, see the below link:

http://www.techyv.com/questions/evernote-has-encountered-problem-and-needs-close

This has been a bug on Evernote for quite so long. If it doesn't help, you may send a ticket to their support team.

I have had the same problem after upgrading to version 5.2.0.2946

I have followed advice form the forum and uninstalled everything. (even did CCleaner run after that)

Subsequently downloaded and installed again. I still have the same problem and am unable to use the desktop application. I use windows 7 64bit.

I have sent the logs after each crash and will also open a ticket. No response so far.

Quite a pain, I am a premium member and really use this fantastic (upto now) app.

• Level 5*

I have had the same problem after upgrading to version 5.2.0.2946

I have followed advice form the forum and uninstalled everything. (even did CCleaner run after that)

Subsequently downloaded and installed again. I still have the same problem and am unable to use the desktop application. I use windows 7 64bit.

I have sent the logs after each crash and will also open a ticket. No response so far.

Quite a pain, I am a premium member and really use this fantastic (upto now) app.

Did you use Revo Uninstaller?  If not,  I'd suggest you try it again.  Either way if you've not by then heard from Support,  quote your ticket number here and we'll flag the request for you.  If you didn't get a ticket,  Support didn't get the request;  please try again.

I have also done so, but was using the forum in parallel. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

I have a feeling that the initial use of the search function started the issues.(and again once I went through the revo and re-install process. thank you for your help.

I have the exact same error on Windows 7 64-bit.

The new install of 5.2.0.2946 originally worked OK - however I did not reboot right away, I chose the option to reboot later.

The error in my case occurred the very first time I tried to open EN after the computer reboot after installing the new update.

I am ignoring the messages to update EN on my home PC until I get this working again on my work PC.  This is a real pain happening right in the middle of firefights at work.

Regular uninstall/"reinstall as admin" hasn't worked, I'll have to go the Revo uninstall route next.  I have already opened a support ticket.

Hey folks, if you go to your database folder...

In the app it would be under Tools >> Options >> [ ] Open Database Folder

Normally it is something like C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases

You should see files with your database with files ending in .exb and .context

If you are seeing this crash and have your .context file missing, please let us know in this thread. We may have a fix

Our fix deals with the condition where the .context file is missing. If you have that file, we'll need to keep digging into your crash. Do you get the crash reporter where you can enter an email address? If so, please put in something (doesn't have to be your real email address) and let me know.

I had the same problem started last night. I tried uninstall / re-install several times and had the same error message. I finally 1.uninstall Evernote, 2. Rename the Evernote data file directory (C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote to C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote Old - I am running Windows 8) and then 3. re-install. Evernote then created a new C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote directory. 4. Signed in again.   PROBLEM SOLVED :)

• Level 5*

I had the same problem started last night. I tried uninstall / re-install several times and had the same error message. I finally 1.uninstall Evernote, 2. Rename the Evernote data file directory (C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote to C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote Old - I am running Windows 8) and then 3. re-install. Evernote then created a new C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote directory. 4. Signed in again.   PROBLEM SOLVED :)

Corrupt database, maybe? Presumably after the rename, Evernote created the new directory, and your notes synced down from their servers.

• Level 5

Thanks for the suggestion - sounds like a great solution.

I have sk0tto.exb and sk0tto.exb.context as well as several others.  I did notice that sk0tto.exb.context is a 0 byte file, however.

Interesting, anyone else seeing it as a 0 byte file?

• Level 5*

Fate has finally struck and I'm a victim of the Fatal Errors too.  Just did a full revo uninstall and reinstall and killed the original database folder (after backups) in the process.  I have a context file @ 1KB.  My current Evernote folder is a new one since the old folder went in the uninstall,  but I'm still locked out by Not Responding and either errors or crashes.  #399148

I had the same problem today.  I had a .context file that was zero bytes.  I renamed it, and then launched Evernote, and it worked fine.

Your suggestion fixed things in my case, thanks a lot!!

No need to uninstall/reinstall, nor to rename evernote folder.

• Level 5

Fate has finally struck and I'm a victim of the Fatal Errors too.  Just did a full revo uninstall and reinstall and killed the original database folder (after backups) in the process.  I have a context file @ 1KB.  My current Evernote folder is a new one since the old folder went in the uninstall,  but I'm still locked out by Not Responding and either errors or crashes.  #399148

Gazumpded - Was Evernote Support able to unlock your program? Did they say what caused the lockdown?

I was able to resolve the error by deleting the contacts notebook. Apparently, part of the database was corrupted. I haven't seen the error for over a week, knock on wood. It would be nice to know what actually happened.

• Level 5*

Gazumpded - Was Evernote Support able to unlock your program? Did they say what caused the lockdown?

Still working on that - I did a Revo uninstall / reinstall and a database rebuild (sob!) and after various crashes and complaints Evernote seemed to 'fix itself' - it's not actually crashed for a while.  Support have been - supporting me,  and I got a new update today which should fix the Fatal Errors.  It's a day or two too early to say,  but I'm quietly confident...

I do know now how terminally frustrating it is if you have a good working process and that gets derailed for any reason - my output for the last few days has been 10% or less of normal,  but I still think all the carpet-biting and shouting that we occasionally get is 1) unprofessional and 2) counter-productive.  Support have been great and I genuinely believe they're working flat out on this particular area because it's a bit fundamental.  Shouting wouldn't make them work any harder...

More to follow on this!

I had the same problem today.  I had a .context file that was zero bytes.  I renamed it, and then launched Evernote, and it worked fine.

Thanks! Worked for me too! The file was in UserName\AppData\LocalEvernote\Evernote\Databases

Huge Help!

• Level 5

Still working on that - I did a Revo uninstall / reinstall and a database rebuild (sob!) and after various crashes and complaints Evernote seemed to 'fix itself' - it's not actually crashed for a while.  Support have been - supporting me,  and I got a new update today which should fix the Fatal Errors.  It's a day or two too early to say,  but I'm quietly confident...

Thanks for the update. I am in a similar situation and Support suggested a couple new upgrades.

My preference is to sit on the sidelines and wait until the bugs first get worked out of these upgrades, but I'm was in a box and needed access to some critical information stored in Evernote. So I performed the latest upgrades.

March 13 - to version 5.3.0.2999 (prerelease)

March 14 - to version 5.3.0.3093 (public)

By the way, my data was still available via the Evernote web, but I do not use that method anymore. If these upgrades solve the problem, I will begin copying some of my critical notes to Microsoft OneDrive. They just bumped my storage up to 100 gigabytes. I'll still use Evernote and I will have a second place I can access the info if this happens again.

• Level 5*

Hi JB - I'm currently on 5.3.0.3093 and holding my breath..  Also able to use the Web and Android version to get to my notes so the situation's not super-critical,  but like you I have a job to get done and don't need the distractions!  I hadn't realised ON was up to 100GB storage - its already part of my disaster-recovery plan (just after flat-out panic) and that will help...

• Level 5

Gaz - fingers crossed here as well.

5.3.0.3093 is a public release so that gives me a bit more confidence.

Regarding OneDrive - I started with the free 7 GB. Then on Feb 27, I cashed in a handful of my Bing points (maybe 20 - nothing large) and that bumped me up to the 107 Gigabyte amount. It is for one year, so we'll see what shakes out in 2015.

And on the same subject of storage, Flickr has virtually unlimited storage (1 terabyte), so all my photos and images end up there.

Hello, 

I just had the same issue with the same version above. I didn't find the Context file. I renamed the Database folder .../AppData/Local/Evernote/Evernote/Databases to /DatabasesOLD. I launched the app, it asks me to sign in again, I signed in, it started syncing. It works fine now. It recreated the folder again. I figured it something with the latest update of microsoft that corrupted the files in the machine. I sent many reports to Evernote through the Fata error window. 

Appdata is not visible, you will need to show hidden files from files explorer Tools/Folder Options/show hidden etc. 

I hope this works for everyone. 

• Level 5

Gaz - fingers crossed here as well.

5.3.0.3093 is a public release so that gives me a bit more confidence.

Today's update: Support suggested I go back to version 4.7.

I don't think the issue is related to the "type ahead search" index, or the Fatal Error messages, but because version 4.7 worked so perfectly for me in the past that I jumped at the opportunity.

I have discussed this with the lead developer. It seems there may be an issue with the "type Ahead search" index for some users. The team is working on a fix. I am hoping it will be released soon.

It is definitely having a slowdown issue for you.

There is one thing that may help speed you up just a bit. Please go to menu View>show related notes and make sure this is turned off. This process can introduce some overhead as well.

Here is want we can do until a fix is in place.

- I can roll you back to the last release of Evernote version 4. this would be a temporary fix only, but might speed things up for you.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the updates @zmg and @JB - I'm still getting back to normal service but things look positive (I just ruined it didn't I :() without a rollback -yet.  Getting lots of support from the team,  and if I get any useful tips I'll let you know.  Meantime I just killed "show related notes" - it's a shame because that's quite useful sometimes;  but I'd rather have my workflow back...

• Level 5

Today's update: Support suggested I go back to version 4.7.

I don't think the issue is related to the "type ahead search" index, or the Fatal Error messages, but because version 4.7 worked so perfectly for me in the past that I jumped at the opportunity.

I have discussed this with the lead developer. It seems there may be an issue with the "type Ahead search" index for some users. The team is working on a fix. I am hoping it will be released soon.

It is definitely having a slowdown issue for you.

There is one thing that may help speed you up just a bit. Please go to menu View>show related notes and make sure this is turned off. This process can introduce some overhead as well.

Here is want we can do until a fix is in place.

- I can roll you back to the last release of Evernote version 4. this would be a temporary fix only, but might speed things up for you.

Last night, I rolled back to version 4.6.7 - what a fantastic improvement. I had forgotten how smoothly and quickly the program used to work. No clunky UI issues. No Fatal Errors. No software bloat.

Just pure speed and total unrestricted access to my content. And an extra bonus - my "Favorites Bar" is back.

I'm ready to break into the the Happy Happy Joy Joy song. :D

Evernote might call it a temporary fix.

But for me... well, it's going to take a lot of convincing to return to version 5.

• Level 5*

The 4 vs 5 argument is surely the same as the Evernote vs OneNote argument - if you find one is better than the other for your needs,  stick with it (for as long as you can). - The problem being that sooner or later your version may simply be out of date.

• Level 5

Gaz. thanks for the concern. I'm willing to accept the risk using an older version of a program.

For example, I'm still running (on a daily basis) my GoldMine CRM database version 6.50 which I last updated 10 years ago, way back in July 2004.

The problems with Version 5 certainly woke me up. Prior to 5.0 I would send everything to Evernote. In December I upgraded to 5.0 and ran into a variety of UI and speed problems. And more issues, such as Sync and the Fatal Errors developed with each new 5.0 upgrade. So I'm migrating my important Evernote documents over to other cloud based sites - DropBox, OneDrive and Flickr. I might even give OneNote a try.

I'll continue to enjoy the speed and efficiency of Evernote version 4.6 for as long as possible.

• Level 5*

Hey I've got some archaeologically significant software tucked away in corners too - but it's there because the development (and in some cases the developers) stopped at a particular point.  Evernote is pounding out updates several times a year,  and the upgrades in features and infrastructure are not superficial.  There will be a point where sync will just fail - depends how much Evernote will commit to backwards compatibility.  P'raps the developers can bear that in mind...

• Level 5

Evernote is pounding out updates several times a year,  and the upgrades in features and infrastructure are not superficial.

In my opinion, that is one of the major reasons for the problems.

Instead of pounding out bug fixes updates, they should step back and smell the roses.

• Level 5*

Evernote is pounding out updates several times a year,  and the upgrades in features and infrastructure are not superficial.

In my opinion, that is one of the major reasons for the problems.

Instead of pounding out bug fixes updates, they should step back and smell the roses.

I think they managed to throw in the odd bugfix alongside the database improvements and streamlined syncing...  in my limited experience with roses,  a significant element in the aroma can be what they're actually standing in..

Thanks! Worked for me too! The file was in UserName\AppData\LocalEvernote\Evernote\Databases

Huge Help!

Thanks!  Worked for me too.  I saw the fatal error every time I started the Evernote local client.  I had a zero byte context file.  After renaming the file, I was able to start the local client again.  I hope it keeps working.

Hello,

I had the same issue where Evernote loads but does not respond. In fact an error window pops up and states this. Also, the pop-up window asks the user to state what they were doing before this happened.

I resolved this issue by UPGRADING to the latest version.

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I use Evernote all the time and suddenly on April 16 started having constant crashes immediately on opening.  Out of a clear blue sky - I had not installed any new programs or anything.  

A regular size delete and install did not help.  Very unpleasant experience by that point (win7 32bit)

It shows my several thousand notes (it did not lose the content) but it crashes in 2 seconds upon opening.  "Fatal Error."   Reboot PC, restart EN, and "Fatal Error."

I did a complete uninstall with Revo Uninstall (btw, free 30-day use).  I just reinstalled the most current public release Evernote Windows.  I apparently "only" have a gigabyte of EN so it downloaded from the cloud pretty fast.

After this complete delete, and complete reinstall, it not only escapes the "crash" problem but EN is running much faster and features like Type Ahead Search are vastly faster than they were.  

Possibly, the intermittent sync freezes and type-ahead freezes I was experiencing for a month were a flag that I should have done the detailed uninstall and cleanup and reloading earlier, instead of waiting for a complete crash of EN today.

• 6 months later...

Hey folks, if you go to your database folder...

In the app it would be under Tools >> Options >> [ ] Open Database Folder

Normally it is something like C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases

You should see files with your database with files ending in .exb and .context

If you are seeing this crash and have your .context file missing, please let us know in this thread. We may have a fix

Deleting database is what fixed my fatal error.  Revo Uninstaller was not enough.  (thanks to Illustrious Seer!)

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived