REQUEST: Google Sign-In

Hey everyone,

I was directed here by the friendly staff from customer service with my following request:

Since I'm tired of changing a whole bunch of passwords every now and then, I would like to continue my consolidation of accounts to a single sign on solution based on OpenID. Currently, my favorite is Google, but I'm also happy with using Facebook or Amazon as a provider. Ideally all of them would support each other as authentication providers...

So long story short, I would like to be able to sign in to Evernote using my Google account just like http://stackexchange.com/users/login?returnurl=%2f

Does anyone else think that would be a nice feature?

• Level 5*

Evernote have been thinking long and hard about security - and they do tend to think outside of the box everyone else sees as 'normal' - so its possible that they already have fixed plans that would exclude this option.  Having said that I would personally be happy to see the standard "login with x" option.  I use Google (occasionally G+) too and it works fine for me.

That would be a big fat NO for me! I don't trust Google. Use them out of neccessity, but I don't trust them. I hope Evernote never partners with them in this repect.

I suspect (and hope!), as with most companies that do offer this sort of thing, the option to sign in with Evernote-specific credentials will me maintained. Given that Evernote already offers two-factor authentication, I don't think they'll be nixing their own sign-in system any time soon. Which is not to say they might not add a google sign-on for those who dig that sort of thing.  

• Level 5*

I hate when companies do this. I don't use Facebook, and won't use sites that require me to use a Facebook login.

I'd prefer to keep a separate login for Evernote.

I hate when companies do this. I don't use Facebook, and won't use sites that require me to use a Facebook login.

I'd prefer to keep a separate login for Evernote.

Agreed! I have a password manager for this very reason!

That being said, I would not be opposed to Evernote offering it as an option. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. 

Of course the current way of signing in with Evernote credentials has to be maintained. That being said, the example I posted also allows "log in with StackExchange" since they also provide OpenID authentication.

I don't want Evernote to force users, just provide the option.

Archived