Evernote slow startup on Win 7 64b

Don Nelson

Hi all,

I've been running Evernote for a long time now, and I have it on a Mac pro (16G), Win7 (home premium 64b) (16g ram) and my Android (2g ram).  Of all these, Win7 is the slowest to start up.  I have an 8 core 3.1Ghz laptop, with up to 12Mbs network connection (the same for all other devices), but for some reason, EN takes a good 60 seconds before it comes up when I first start it on my Win7.  On the Mac, it's about 3 seconds, same for Android.

What's going on with the WIn7 version?

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Couldn't hurt to uninstall and reinstall the latest version..  search around here for all the gory details if you've not already done this once or twice...

• 6 months later...

I believe I have solved this. I can’t be certain every step is needed, but this is what I did – and an increasing Evernote startup delay went from minutes to literally sub-second. Windows 7 64 bit.

1. Uninstall your local Evernote using normal the normal Windows 7 “Programs and Features” uninstall.
  2. In your user AppData folder (which is usually hidden, so you may need to change that in your folder controls), search and destroy any files owned by Evernote. Note that these may appear in at least two different sub-folders; be thorough. Note also, though, that other programs such as your browser(s) have data in AppData. If you care, don’t kill stuff related, for example, to your Google searches done to try to solve this problem!
  3. Use CCleaner to clean up (i.e., clobber) any registry references to Evernote.
  4. Remove any remaining Evernote desktop shortcuts – including Launchpad icons.
  5. Download the current Evernote install file and run it. Set up a new launchpad icon (optional). Start Evernote and sign in. Enjoy (assuming this all works).

Note:  I’m reasonably certain the root cause of the problem is that at least one Evernote update did only a partial job of switching all references to itself – and of cleaning up after the update itself. There was a load of stuff in the AppData folder(s) relating to previous Evernote versions.

Final note: I have two Windows 7 systems with the same exact versions of Windows and of Evernote. One had this problem (solved as above). The other seems not to … yet. This might or might not relate to the fact that one system (the one that had the problem) is several year old, whereas the other was rebuilt from scratch (a completely new hard disk) within the last six months.  So, it could be that Evernote’s installation routine failed to clean up a really old previous Evernote install at some point. That’s just an educated guess, though.

I believe I have solved this. I can’t be certain every step is needed, but this is what I did – and an increasing Evernote startup delay went from minutes to literally sub-second. Windows 7 64 bit.

1. Uninstall your local Evernote using normal the normal Windows 7 “Programs and Features” uninstall.
  2. In your user AppData folder (which is usually hidden, so you may need to change that in your folder controls), search and destroy any files owned by Evernote. Note that these may appear in at least two different sub-folders; be thorough. Note also, though, that other programs such as your browser(s) have data in AppData. If you care, don’t kill stuff related, for example, to your Google searches done to try to solve this problem!
  3. Use CCleaner to clean up (i.e., clobber) any registry references to Evernote.
  4. Remove any remaining Evernote desktop shortcuts – including Launchpad icons.
  5. Download the current Evernote install file and run it. Set up a new launchpad icon (optional). Start Evernote and sign in. Enjoy (assuming this all works).

Note:  I’m reasonably certain the root cause of the problem is that at least one Evernote update did only a partial job of switching all references to itself – and of cleaning up after the update itself. There was a load of stuff in the AppData folder(s) relating to previous Evernote versions.

Final note: I have two Windows 7 systems with the same exact versions of Windows and of Evernote. One had this problem (solved as above). The other seems not to … yet. This might or might not relate to the fact that one system (the one that had the problem) is several year old, whereas the other was rebuilt from scratch (a completely new hard disk) within the last six months.  So, it could be that Evernote’s installation routine failed to clean up a really old previous Evernote install at some point. That’s just an educated guess, though.

Please do not cross post.  I'm going to remove your other posts.

• Level 5*

I have the same problem. I have almost 1700 notes. Evernote takes 60-90 seconds to load itself on my Win7. Is it normal?

The procedure suggested by Don G. is a bit too complex for me.

Any suggest?

Thanks for attention

Luigi

All the 'search and destroy' processes described above are carried out in one hit by using Revo Uninstaller (free software) to remove Evernote.  It's then possible to perform a clean reinstall of the latest version.  The process has been described before in some detail in the forums.  Don't forget to backup your database first though - and regular backups are a good idea anyway.

I also have this problem on Windows 7 64-bit with Evernote 5.6.4.4632 and it's pretty annoying.  It takes over 1 minute to start up every time. It'd be nice if there was some official word from Evernote on how to resolve this. 

Also gazumped you mention backing up the database, how do I do this?

• Level 5*

I also have this problem on Windows 7 64-bit with Evernote 5.6.4.4632 and it's pretty annoying.  It takes over 1 minute to start up every time. It'd be nice if there was some official word from Evernote on how to resolve this. 

Also gazumped you mention backing up the database, how do I do this?

Find and copy your Database (EXB) file to a separate location - unless you changed it specifically it will be here >

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases

There are several files in the Databases folder, for example

username.exb
username.exb.activitylog
username.exb.announcements
username.exb.bak
username.exb.cardview.snippets
username.exb.context
username.exb.maptiles
username.exb.related
username.exb.snippets

Are you saying I only need to back up the username.exb file?  Also can you point me to the thread where they discuss reinstalling evernote?

I can confirm that reinstalling Evernote on Windows 7 has fixed the problem.  Note I had changed the evernote local files directory.  Specifically:

1. Restart windows to ensure evernote is not running (I don't have evernote set to run on startup)

2. Copy username.exb to a backup location

3. Rename my current evernote data folder to something else and create a new folder with the same name

4. Go into C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local and delete the Evernote and EvernoteNW folders.  And go into C:\Users\myusername\AppData\LocalLow and delete Evernote folder.

5. Restart windows

6. Install evernote.

7. Evernote remembers that I had changed the evernote local files path so I guess this is stored in the registry and not cleaned up on uninstall or stored server side

8. Quit Evernote

9. Drop backuped up username.exb into the Databases folder to replace existing db

10. Reopen evernote. Starts in seconds.

11. Realize you've been living with slow evernote startup for many weeks for no reason.

Also I can confirm that reinstalling Evernote on Windows 7 has fixed the problem. I followed the suggestion of gazumped, using Revo Uninstaller to uninstall Evernote.  You only need to back up the username.exb file. Now Evernote starts in a few second.

• Level 5*

Yup - the reason for Revo is that it finds the registry entries and temporary files that a simple uninstall doesn't normally reach.  Much easier and more thorough than a manual clean up.  The magic clean reinstall may be a pain,  but done properly it does work in most cases...

After reinstallation of Evernote, I have noted that the text inside notes is very small. So far I had set the type font Calibri and the size to 10. But now this size appears to be too small for my eyes. Now I have to set the size 12 for good vision. However, the existing notes always appear with the old dimensions. Clearly it would be impossible to edit all the old notes to change the character.

Any suggest?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Reinstall also fix the reaction time.  (win7 64b / evernote 1700notes +-)
Evernote should really inform the community about that. A lot of people are just waiting the next release and don't think to make a clean reinstall... 

• 1 month later...
At the end the reinstall wasn't the solution. 
It was working for a day but after reboot the freeze was back.  

But I've finally found a simple solution.
I've activated Readyboost on a usb key and now my Evernote is faster than never before. Readyboost is a windows service using the free space of your usb key as additional RAM. 

I am on Win7 64bits with 6Gb of ram.. so .. normally more than enough for evernote .. but .. hmm.

Whatever..
I think that anyone with a slow/freeze issue should have a try. Quick and don't require IT skills..  
  1. Plug a usb key (with 1 or more Gb free)
  2. In the windows explorer, right click the usb device > properties 
  3. Go on tab Readyboost and activate it. 
  4. Enjoy your evernote.
  • Level 5*

Thanks for the tip - I knew about Readyboost,  but my system (Win 8.0 64bit) told me that using it wouldn't speed up the system any,  so I didn't bother.  With your reminder though I've now added a spare USB stick - I do get annoying freezes with Evernote;  they're never very long,  but it seems to me disk activity goes to 100% and EN "whites out" just when I want to add something quickly.  I'll see whether this is the answer...

Archived