Inserting Date: Format with Year First?

CaptMurdock

Idea

I just learned about the Insert Date At Cursor keyboard shortcut. Way cool, except...

I keep my journal (of over twenty years) on Evernote. Since I had to port it over from other apps (don't ask) the Created Date doesn't help to keep it in order. Title will sort it by the month, not the year, unless I format the date by the year, then month, then day.

Is there a chance the next iteration of the client could include the option of "year/month/day" e.g. 2014/02/28? It would help ginormously.

Thanks!

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

That would be a great option.

Until/IF Evernote provides this option, you can obtain the same result using DevonTechnologies.com FREE WordService:

WordService provides a large number of commands for working with selected text:

• Reformat text paragraphs
  • Clean up tabs, quotes, line endings
  • Remove unwanted text parts
  • Sort lines or paragraphs
  • Change case
  • Shift paragraphs right or left
  • Obscure using Rotate 13
  • Insert date, time, or file path
  • Speak selected text
  • Get text statistics

This will allow you to create a shortcut key for Date and Time.

You will need to change the Date format in the Mac Preferences to fit your needs.

• Level 5*

Evernote uses your Long Date setting for this. If you just customize Long Date to be YYYY/MM/DD it will work the way you want.

(System Preferences->Language and Region->Advanced->Dates)

Thanks for pointing this out.  I was not aware of this option since I have been using the WordService solution since long before Evernote provided the shortcut key for date/time.  One benefit of the WordService solution is that it works in ALL applications.

• Level 5

Evernote uses your Long Date setting for this. If you just customize Long Date to be YYYY/MM/DD it will work the way you want.

Sorry for the misinformation. Evernote can use any of the four date formats (Short, Medium, Long and Full).

You select the one you want in the formatting pane of the Evernote Preferences. Customizing the format once you’ve selected it is done in the way I mentioned previously.

If you’re going to be using YYYY/MM/DD, Short is probably the format you want.

If you are on a Mac Evernote (V6.0.5) takes its time format from the Apple system preferences which you can customise to any format using the advanced tab, I just changed the short date to show MM/DD/YYY, you can drag elements into the relevant window and move them around in the window also you can type between the elements.

Once you have that set up open Evernote and go to  Preferences>formatting tab and select it there.

On 2/28/2014 at 5:15 PM, Adjusting said:

Thank you so much for this tip!  I use the ISO standard YYYY-MM-DD and I didn't even think about changing the main OSX format.  Great stuff!

Archived