Presentation Mode on Windows

CrookedChris

I upgraded to Evernote premium at least partially for the presentation mode feature. Shame on me but I didn't realize this was a mac only feature until after I upgraded and I don't have a mac. Is there any information re. when this feature will be available on Windows? I'm regretting dropping $45 partially for a feature I can't use...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello folks,

In the latest beta, you can go into the registry setting and turn on Presentation Mode. It is under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote and the registry flag is ShowPresentationMode. Set it to 1 and you'll get a Presentation mode button in the note editor.

Pretty soon we'll have this available and turned on by default, but we'd like to get early feedback from anyone who would like to try it out.

thanks all!

Windows 8.1 (64bit)

- First run always shows a white screen for me, failing to show any notes
- - To replicate:
- - Exit Evernote (File -> Exit)
- - Start Evernote
- - Start a presentation with a set of notes
- - I always seem to see a white screen here, and it fails to do anything else. Pressing Esc and trying again causes the presentation to work.

- There seems to be a lot of wasted white space in the presentation window.
- - The title is centre screen and so the note content is lower in the screen than it maybe should be.

- Attachments fail to be shown. Pdfs etc just show as a broken image on the screen.

• Level 5

• Key didn't exist, I had to create it

Ditto on the initial white screen.

Ditto on the PDF non-display

Performance not really usable.

• I've noodled about with it on my Mac where performance was fine

On my 1.67Ghz Core Duo tablet - Lenovo X60 - Intel HD graphics (win7 pro 32bit), with ShowPresentationMode=1

• when Evernote is launched I have 3 EvernoteNW.exe processes

When presentation mode is on with the mouse on that monitor the 3 processes spike my CPU use up to about 75%, but you'd think it was 100% as the green laser pointer performance lags unusably.

I can change the color in the selector but it's ignored, stays green

I can select the normal mouse pointer, but it stays as the green laser pointer

If I quit evernote, set ShowPresentationMode=0 and relaunch I don't have the EvernoteNW.exe processes.

• Level 5*

Hello folks,

In the latest beta, you can go into the registry setting and turn on Presentation Mode. It is under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote and the registry flag is ShowPresentationMode. Set it to 1 and you'll get a Presentation mode button in the note editor.

Pretty soon we'll have this available and turned on by default, but we'd like to get early feedback from anyone who would like to try it out.

thanks all!

Hmmm ... I'm using 5.2.0.2775 and cannot find the key but if you open a note in a separate window, the icon for presentation mode is already there.  I did not add a key.  My comments on usage were posted in that beta thread.

Is there a list of commands that can be used within presentation mode?  Hate to be an idiot but I could not figure out what command/key sequence could get me out of presentation mode.  Couldn't even bring up task manager to kill it (screen would just blink).  Had to log out and back in.  Thanks.

Never mind.  It must have just whacked out on me the first time.  After logging back in and trying it, I got the blue pointer and pop-ups when I moved it around the edges. 

• Level 5*

I could not figure out what command/key sequence could get me out of presentation mode.  Couldn't even bring up task manager to kill it (screen would just blink).  Had to log out and back in.  Thanks.

ESC will get you out of presentation mode.

• Level 5

It didn't in the last release for me.  

But just checking, is it supposed to be there in 270946?  I don't have the button any longer.

• Level 5*

It didn't in the last release for me.  

But just checking, is it supposed to be there in 270946?  I don't have the button any longer.

In this version you have to set the registry key that DLU mentions in the first post to expose the option.  He was a version ahead of us when he made that post.  The key is present in this latest version.  As far as function, I see no changes to the comments made earlier.  It appears to me the function (warts and all) is the same as the prior beta version.

Really excited for this function to come to life / start working.

For me, I just get a "blue swirl" on a white screen and nothing ever works.  Pressing ESC seems to eventually make it go away.

CPU usage seems to spike also. :-(  Not good for battery life.

Arrghh!

Just found this thread now, too late for the team meeting. (Had planned to play-... err... use this during it).

Must think of excuse to call another meeting. The acceptable alternative to doing actual work! 

• Level 5*

I also see no live update and the bullet problem in 5.3.0.3252 (271252), but my biggest issue is getting the presentation screen to show on the second display.  It stays stuck on my primary, laptop, display and I cannot get it on the other display.  There have been a couple of times when it would show on the second display but I have been unable to find a consistent way to make this work.  Presentation mode seems like it could be quite useful for me at work, but it is currently unusable due to the display problem.

Anyone else seeing this problem or have any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Noted there hasn't been any activity here in a couple of days.

I have a client meeting today where if I could Present my Evernote note on a second screen, and make that the focus of GoToMeeting for the client to see cleanly, while I edit on another screen, that would be awesome*.  Excited to see this feature come to fruition!  :)

* So random thought = if I have the "Presented note" on the 2nd screen, hoping I can, on the first screen, have the "being presented" note that I can change on the fly, as well as another note to capture notes about the conversation.   B)

• Level 5*

Presentation mode comments regarding version 5.4.0.3413 (271413).

The "good"

- checkboxes render correctly

- bullet lineup is better, various levels are now indented, but the spacing still needs a little work

- spacebar seems to step through the presentation ok

The "not so good"

- scroll left and right do not work

- no live editing - editing on the main screen does not show up on the presentation screen.  You currently have to exit presentation mode and then relaunch for the edits to show on the presentation screen.

The "I'm not sure"

- with a dual monitor, the presentation screen still launches to the main screen it was launched from.  It does not automatically show on the extended screen.  To show on the extended screen I have to first launch the note in its own window, drag this window to the secondary screen and then launch from that note.  Not sure if this is functioning as intended or not.

Yesterday, at first install, the presentation mode was working with a pointer having a nice "remanent colored tail" (I'm not english native and the word might not be the good one)

Today, there is only the colored circle, but no tail anymore.

Does someone experience this issue ?

• Level 5*

I'm not actively using presentation mode yet.  It is not quite ready for me to use it live in a meeting, but it is getting close.  That said, my comments are based on limited testing.  I have noticed some strangeness, like this in the past, but have not with the current beta.

Was excited to see a Pre-Release come out with Presentation Mode (PM) alive.  I wanted to share some comments.

Dual Monitor

Just as @s2sailor said, it doesn't automatically detect the 2nd monitor.

I did find that if I have the note on the 2nd monitor, then, start PM, it will present on that monitor.

My two cents:  

• Can there be an option in Options for it to start on the 2nd monitor, or, auto detect?

"Live" Note Presentation

I had high hopes that the PM would be displaying the "live" note - so, as you are presenting to a team you could "work on the note."  But, that does not seem to be the case.

My two cents:

• Can it show the live note / detect updates?
  • Can you provide a keystroke or a right-click to tell PM to refresh the note?

"Press ->"

When you reach the end of the PM (scroll to the bottom), a message appears that says "Press -> to return to [Note Title]"  I don't understand what this does.  Pressing "Right Arrow" really doesn't do anything.  Can't click on it.

My two cents:

• As you can guess, give this better functionality / explanation.

Memory Usage

:(   I'm noticing that a new Task (or two or three) seem to start running and never go away after you have done PM once?

(See attached)

My two cents:

• Can some memory management be done and these be killed when PM is done?

--------------------------------------------------

I hope this all helps.  I think PM is a great idea and I'm looking forward to using it a lot!

:)

post-79268-0-73246600-1397666766_thumb.j

I was just testing out presentation mode in the new prerelease version of Evernote and noticed that all of my attachments show up as a broken image icon (see attached). An addition to that, clicking that icon brings up a blank dark screen rather than properly showing a preview of the document. Is this happening to anyone else? 

post-169552-0-47693100-1397751915_thumb.

"Press ->"

When you reach the end of the PM (scroll to the bottom), a message appears that says "Press -> to return to [Note Title]"  I don't understand what this does.  Pressing "Right Arrow" really doesn't do anything.  Can't click on it.

I'm seeing "Press -> to go to "[title of next note]"" and I'm able to click it to move to the next note in my notebook. Pressing right arrow also moves me to the next note.

Memory Usage

:(   I'm noticing that a new Task (or two or three) seem to start running and never go away after you have done PM once?

I'm noticing this behavior, too. A new task starts every time I enter presentation mode.

Yesterday, at first install, the presentation mode was working with a pointer having a nice "remanent colored tail" (I'm not english native and the word might not be the good one)

The tail shouldn't have disappeared. Can you PM me your activity logs? Does it still occur after restarting the application?

• Level 5*

Presentation mode comments regarding version 5.4.0.3413 (271413).

The "not so good"

- scroll left and right do not work

- no live editing - editing on the main screen does not show up on the presentation screen.  You currently have to exit presentation mode and then relaunch for the edits to show on the presentation screen.

The "I'm not sure"

- with a dual monitor, the presentation screen still launches to the main screen it was launched from.  It does not automatically show on the extended screen.  To show on the extended screen I have to first launch the note in its own window, drag this window to the secondary screen and then launch from that note.  Not sure if this is functioning as intended or not.

Update to my earlier comments with version 5.4.0.3.446 (271446)

The "not so good"

- scroll left and right do not work - ok, these scroll options have been removed in this latest version

- no live editing - editing on the main screen does not show up on the presentation screen.  You currently have to exit presentation mode and then relaunch for the edits to show on the presentation screen. - no change here.

The "I'm not sure"

- with a dual monitor, the presentation screen still launches to the main screen it was launched from.  It does not automatically show on the extended screen.  To show on the extended screen I have to first launch the note in its own window, drag this window to the secondary screen and then launch from that note.  Not sure if this is functioning as intended or not. - no change here, sure would be nice to know if this is working as designed or not.

Thanks for the continued development on this feature (but I sure hope it is not holding back work on the editor ;)).

I am very excited about presentation mode for Windows 8.1, and just downloaded the Beta (5.4.0.3446 271446) to try it out. Please forgive any ignorance of forum etiquette and protocols, I am new here too (but not new, by any means, to Evernote). Please let me know if these comments should be made elsewhere.

My initial thoughts, having used the iPhone version of presentation mode, are these:

1. Presentation mode works fairly well when I am in regular desktop mode in Windows 8.1. The cursor trail seems a bit too heavy much of the time--distractingly so. I think it could be scaled down without losing impact.

2. In tablet and other touch-based, non-desktop, modes, using the desktop application:

a. I would love to have the ability to swipe left or right between notes in the presentation.

b. If swiping is not an option, then left an right arrows need to show up more readily. One has to touch an area near where those would appear in order to make any relevant options appear (the up arrow, night/day modes, anything that pops up based on cursor proximity). The touch cursor should, ideally, act more like the mouse / touchpad cursor (see c. below)

c. Cursor tracking does not seem to exist at all when using touch instead of a mouse / trackpad. Can the cursor track how I move my finger in touch mode like it does in desktop? Currently, touch only allows a user to tap in a place to move the cursor to that place, rather than drag the cursor to a location.

I suspect better touch features, eventually, will be included in Evernote Touch. I am not having the best luck getting that to work/sync, however, so am focusing on the desktop version as I prepare for my upcoming project. I anticipate that many users will want to be able to go from desktop to touch mode without having to manually change to the Touch app. For the Windows 8.1 computers that now have both desktop and touchscreen modes, it would be ideal, in my opinion, to allow users to move seamlessly between those modes and to provide them a user-friendly interface appropriate to each.

Still, I'm excited to have this feature working well in desktop mode!

• 2 weeks later...

After clicking on a linked note in Presentation Mode (Beta), users do no have the ability to navigate back to the source note (or to any other note) except via links in the destination note. This makes the use of a "Table of Contents" note for a presentation unusable, as there appears to be no way to get back to the table of contents. See the recommendation on the Evernote Blog for presenation mode (http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/09/18/presentation-mode-the-better-way-to-present-your-ideas/). Table of Contents notes works quite well in iOS EN Presentation Mode, as I recall. In the Windows beta, users have to exit presentation mode to get to any of the other notes in the presentation, including the table of contents.

Test Setup: Three notes, two containing the content of the presentation, one containing EN note links to the other two.

Test:

1. Open the "table of contents" note in presentation mode.

2. Click on one of the links to navigate to another note.

Result:

Once in the linked note, it is no longer possible to navigate left or right (via arrow keys or touch controls) to get to the previous note or any other note without exiting presentation mode. When the end/bottom of the linked note is reached, where there usually appears a message instructing the user to press the right arrow to go to the next note, the next note's title is an empty string, "". Moving to the next note is less important than going back to the table of contents note, but would be a helpful addition for ordered presentations.

Without the ability to navigate back and forth between a "table of contents" note and the notes linked in that note, there is no way to get from note1 to note5 without scrolling through notes 2-4. EN presentation mode is most valuable for meetings about works in progress. That requires dynamic access to presented notes.

1. PDF files opened in presentation mode require the ESC key to return to the presentation. I would love to have a tablet/touch option for navigating back to the presentation from an opened file. There does not appear to be one at present.

2. MS Word Documents linked to notes can be opened in desktop mode. Those links appear in presentation mode, but do not work, leaving no ability to open them within a presentation. It would be useful to be able to open Word docs in presentation mode.

Thanks!

I have also just noticed an issue with the use of the Page Down key on the keyboard. It works a few times, then stops working altogether. Page Up works as expected as do End and Home. I tested this on two computers, one running Win7 and one, Win8, with similar results.

Hope you do not mind all of the posts, I'm gearing up to start using this for a project, so am doing a lot of testing.

I'm glad to hear that, Jackolicious! I'll keep them coming, then...

1. A down arrow appears at the bottom of the screen when the cursor is positioned near to it (simillar to the up, left, and right navigation arrows that pop up). The down arrow presently does nothing at all. Touching it or left-clicking it yields no result. The on-screen Up arrow works as expected.

2. When using a keyboard and mouse, the name of the next or previous note appears along with a left or right arrow when the cursor is positioned near the center left or right edge of the screen. In touch mode, it is possible to touch near where the navigation arrow should appear, but not on hidden arrow, to make the navigation arrows appear on screen. The names of next or previous notes do not appear, however. It would be nice to have the previous and next note names appear in this situation.

If a presentation is built in Evernote with the intention of being presented, prompting the name of the next note will likely not be a problem. Ad hoc presentations, though, could really benefit from knowing what is up next or previous, especially for those of us who use Evernote for an array of personal and business information (a majority, I would expect).

• 2 weeks later...

On both iOS and Win8-beta, Horizontal Rules do not appear (and seem to be replaced with CRLFs). Sometimes a simple horizontal line is useful in clearly dividing topics or groups of topics in a note, but they would not be represented in ad-hoc presentation of that note. I wonder if some thought could be given to better ways to handle HRs in presentation mode that could retain their meaning/intention rather than just removing them.

@WSConsulting

Horizontal rules are actually used to delineate a "new slide" in Presentation Mode. HRs coupled with pressing the spacebar will advance your presentation from slide to slide. Hope you like it!

Lester

Thanks for that explanation, Lester! My apologies if I am overlooking existing documentation on the following:

1. What determines when the body of the note appears on the "title screen." In some cases, upon opening or moving to a note, only the title appears on screen? Then, space or page down navigates to the body. In others, the title appears at the top of the arrival screen ("title screen") for a note (in smaller text), with the beginning text of the body visible. Knowing what common triggers (CRLF, existence of any HR, etc.) cause that change in formatting would be very helpful.

2. Would it be a problem to treat any presented note that has HRs as having an HR at the top of the note? Adding a top HR looks odd outside of Presentation Mode since there is already a line dividing the note title. Without it, however, the first two paragraphs/items/strings separated by an HR are displayed as a single slide with too much space in between items. If the lack of a top HR caused the topmost body text to move into the arrival screen under the title, I could see that being a feature. But, that does not appear to be the case.

Many thanks! I am glad to see this out of Beta for Windows.

Will

@s2sailor - The Windows version does not have live updating right now. 

@WSConsulting - In regards to title, Presentation mode will always try and use the note title as the "title screen", however there are cases where this might not be the only thing displayed. For example web clips do not follow this behavior. They try and present the entire note. The easiest way to ensure a regular note (not a web clip, Skitch note, or some other third party created notes) have a "title screen" is make sure the note has the title set and you add a horizontal rule as the first thing in the note.

As for your second point the challenge we have is we're not sure what your intent is when you have the HRs in place. By letting you be explicit and set the HR at the top to clearly call out that the title is a title, this makes it easy to understand your intent. Think of it like adding a "Title Slide" to a presentation, you don't have to do it, but clearly doing so ensures you've got a Title Slide. 

Live updating looks so cool!

Can we also have a way to select which monitor you present on? I move the note, present and then can't edit the note because it's hidden behind the presentation. 

• Level 5*

Can we also have a way to select which monitor you present on? I move the note, present and then can't edit the note because it's hidden behind the presentation. 

This would be nice and has been suggested.  I'm not sure if we will see it soon or ever, but in the meantime what I do is I have the main Evernote application on my laptop (main display) and then launch the note in a separate window and then drag that window to the monitor that I want the presentation mode to display on (secondary display).  If you launch the presentation from that window it will launch on that display and you will then have the main application on the primary display where you will be able to edit live, once it becomes available in Windows.

Is there a way to hide everything later on in a note, until you press space to get to it. I know about line breaks to make sure it stops at it, but you can still see below the line break before you get to it.

Thanks

CS

• Level 5*

Is there a way to hide everything later on in a note, until you press space to get to it. I know about line breaks to make sure it stops at it, but you can still see below the line break before you get to it.

Not that I can find but I agree that should be the expected behavior.  If horizontal rules are used to delineate slides, then the information on the next slide should not be shown until all of the content of the previous slide has been shown.  The horizontal line should be like a page break where the content of the next slide is first shown as a new slide, and not a continuation of the prior slide.  This is a little difficult to explain, but hopefully the comment is clear.

This would be nice and has been suggested.  I'm not sure if we will see it soon or ever, but in the meantime what I do is I have the main Evernote application on my laptop (main display) and then launch the note in a separate window and then drag that window to the monitor that I want the presentation mode to display on (secondary display).  If you launch the presentation from that window it will launch on that display and you will then have the main application on the primary display where you will be able to edit live, once it becomes available in Windows.

Thanks for this tip, it certainly helped me deal a little better with presentation mode. I am finding, though, that once a note is opened and in presentation mode on the second monitor, there is then no way to scroll through notes. Perhaps this has more to do with how I use Evernote (I'm a notebook fanatic) then how Evernote intends presentation mode to work. Is there a way to open a notebook on a second monitor and then scroll through notes?

• Level 5*

I am finding, though, that once a note is opened and in presentation mode on the second monitor, there is then no way to scroll through notes. Perhaps this has more to do with how I use Evernote (I'm a notebook fanatic) then how Evernote intends presentation mode to work. Is there a way to open a notebook on a second monitor and then scroll through notes?

I'm not sure I follow.  Assuming you have the main Evernote application open on display #1 and the note in presentation mode on display #2, if the cursor is on display #2 you can scroll through the presentation.  If you move the cursor over to display #1, and click to activate the cursor there, you can then do anything you want in the main Evernote application.  They are independent, but you have to move the cursor to the display where you want to do something.

• 1 month later...

I like to upload card collections (example: Baseball cards) after scanning them with SSEE. Once uploaded each card is put in a notebook (could also just be a tag) but for presentation mode its nice to give them their own notebook. So each card has a front back image in its note. I go to presentation mode and now I can "scroll" through my images and use the direction arrows to go either to the next card or to the back/front (I can flip back and forth)... However, I'm faced with having to hit spacebar on EVERY card to get rid of the title "page". I really don't want to always see the title page so an option to hide title pages would be nice when we launch a presentation. This way I could more rapidly flip through my card collection (frankly the cards often have their own titles on the cards... I don't need to waste a whole slide for the title). All said BRAVO on giving me a front/back and next card navigation experience. 

• Level 5*

Still no live update? And still no, present to the other screen?

If you are a Windows user, open a note in a separate window, move that note to your second display and then launch presentation mode from there.  That will allow you to present to the other screen if it doesn't naturally start on the screen you want.

Concerning live update I put in a support ticket to get additional information and was told that was a Windows limitation so we probably shouldn't hold our breath.

• 6 months later...

1. The webpage describing this function (https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/38825186) talks about being able to edit the presentation layout, but that apparently isn't in the Windows version. First, it would be good if your information on the website clearly explained what features are limited to a specific platform. Second, we really need this on Windows to try and clean things up!

Images that are on the same line in a note get shown on their own lines in presentation mode, it would be good to retain that arrangement and formatting when in presentation mode. It's useful sometimes to see things side-by-side as opposed to scrolling up and down.

• 5 months later...

1. The webpage describing this function (https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/38825186) talks about being able to edit the presentation layout, but that apparently isn't in the Windows version. First, it would be good if your information on the website clearly explained what features are limited to a specific platform. Second, we really need this on Windows to try and clean things up!
  2. Images that are on the same line in a note get shown on their own lines in presentation mode, it would be good to retain that arrangement and formatting when in presentation mode. It's useful sometimes to see things side-by-side as opposed to scrolling up and down.

yes I've just wasted about 15 minutes trying to follow the layout editor which talks about a grey tab near the right edge on Windows to edit layouts. Where exactly? Very confusing

Archived