Evernote Icon - Active Shortcut, Missing Icon

Go to solution Solved by PGrace,

I have been using Evernote for a while now on my Win7-64 machine... A while back, after an update, the icon went missing. It didn't show up in the Start Menu, wouldn't show when you created a shortcut to the desktop or pinned it to the Taskbar. When the program runs, the icon is active. I used a workaround for the problem recently by creating my own Icon, making it the icon for the shortcut and then dragging the shortcut to the Taskbar, all good.

Another update and another issue: now the properties box for the shortcut icon has the "Change Icon" button greyed-out, so that little trick won't work. I'm a little baffled that a program as slick as Evernote is having weird little problems like this. Has this happened to anyone else or has anyone been able to fix it?

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums.  Evernote doesn't have weird little problems like this - at least not in my Windows Vista / 7 / 8-64bit experience.  I can only suggest you Revo uninstall and reinstall your version of Evernote - backup your database first and search the forums for more specific instructions if you need them.  If that fails - see the support ticket link below.

• 1 month later...

Oh but YES, Evernote does and has ALWAYS had this weird little problem.  And yet AGAIN today after an update, the little icon on my toolbar is sitting there - BLANK - AGAIN!  I'm sick to death of this issue.  Every flipping time I upgrade the stinking interface, I get a blank shortcut on my Windows toolbar.  I have to go and find it in my start menu and put the shortcut on my toolbar, each and every time.  

I just surely do not understand why I can update and upgrade ANY other program without this happening, but I have always, since day 1 had to replace the Windows shortcut after an update of Evernote and this happened under XP and now on Windows Vista - 2 different OS's and 2 different machines!  Irritates the ***** out of me - so bad in fact, that today I came here looking for these forums to ***** about it.

Personally, I see it as a bug that needs to be fixed!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Oh but YES, Evernote does and has ALWAYS had this weird little problem.  And yet AGAIN today after an update, the little icon on my toolbar is sitting there - BLANK - AGAIN!  I'm sick to death of this issue.  Every flipping time I upgrade the stinking interface, I get a blank shortcut on my Windows toolbar.  I have to go and find it in my start menu and put the shortcut on my toolbar, each and every time.  

I just surely do not understand why I can update and upgrade ANY other program without this happening, but I have always, since day 1 had to replace the Windows shortcut after an update of Evernote and this happened under XP and now on Windows Vista - 2 different OS's and 2 different machines!  Irritates the ***** out of me - so bad in fact, that today I came here looking for these forums to ***** about it.

Personally, I see it as a bug that needs to be fixed!

Actually I just updated an XP machine - no icon issues;  and I'm running a Vista laptop that's being chugging along for ages (through three hard drives so far) and neither has had this icon issue.  Not saying it doesn't exist,  but AFAIK it's not consistent,  and it's not a recognised bug.  I'd suggest you raise a support ticket -see below- (if you haven't already) to let someone have a look at this in more detail.

I agree with Kismetique. I'm on a Win 7 - 64 machine. It used to be that evernote was just fine, then it started losing the icon. I created my own icon and added it in Properties. Now, the Change Icon functionality is greyed-out. So, no icons (Start Menu, Desktop or Taskbar) and no work-around. I'm find it difficult to believe that I'm the only person in the world that's having this problem.

• Level 5*

I agree with Kismetique. I'm on a Win 7 - 64 machine. It used to be that evernote was just fine, then it started losing the icon. I created my own icon and added it in Properties. Now, the Change Icon functionality is greyed-out. So, no icons (Start Menu, Desktop or Taskbar) and no work-around. I'm find it difficult to believe that I'm the only person in the world that's having this problem.

I'm sure you;re not,  but it's also not a routine issue.  First thought is Revo uninstall and reinstall (with backups) - see the forums for more detail on that if you need it.  Second thought would be - Support Ticket.

I'm sure you;re not,  but it's also not a routine issue.  First thought is Revo uninstall and reinstall (with backups) - see the forums for more detail on that if you need it.  Second thought would be - Support Ticket.

Well, it may not be a bug for you, but it is certainly a bug for me.  At first, I thought it was just inherent to my first machine running XP.  I quietly dealt with it because at the time, I was using Evernote for free.  I expect certain inconveniences when I'm getting something for nothing.  Then I moved to a completely new machine with a new OS (Vista) and upgraded Evernote to pay monthly - same deal with the icon, nothing changed.  Somewhere along the way I decided monthly was silly and wanted to change to yearly.  NO CAN DO!  Can you believe it?  They have no way to upgrade a subscription?!?!?  Are you freaking kidding me?  So...I was told I had to drop my monthly subscription and completely resign up for yearly.  Ok, so now I've already got a bad taste in my mouth and I continue to have this icon issue (bug, IMO).  

I have no idea what Revo is, nor do I want to. I have way more pressing matters to attend to than trying to troubleshoot something that is clearly not limited to just me for a program that I actually pay for.  There are things about Evernote that I just love and there are things that I just simply loathe - the loathing keeps me from utilizing EN the way I should. I've no idea what snapped yesterday, but when I upgraded and the icon no longer worked when I most needed it to, I was angry to the point of coming here.  I'm not one to really complain - this is only my 3rd post.

I have put in a ticket - do I expect a fix?  Not really.  

I can tell you that I have started migrating to Pocket - simply because Pocket handles snipping from my tablet so much better and the workaround of having to go to Pocket and then to EN is ridiculous - even if IFTTT will auto handle it for me!  If Pocket can do it for free, why can't EN do it for the fee I pay?  The icon issue just serves to continue to push me to Pocket....

• Level 5*

Plenty of people have this bug. I'm pretty sure it's connected to the fact that Evernote included a separate uninstall-process as a part of the update-process to deal with the 2732 windows error bug that people suffered a while back. In my experience though, the shortcuts will be restored automatically in the same place as it was if you close Evernote after updating and run Evernote at least one time. You might also have to restart the PC.

Plenty of people have this bug. I'm pretty sure it's connected to the fact that Evernote included a separate uninstall-process as a part of the update-process to deal with the 2732 windows error bug that people suffered a while back. In my experience though, the shortcuts will be restored automatically in the same place as it was if you close Evernote after updating and run Evernote at least one time. You might also have to restart the PCOh

Oh how I wished that would fix it for me.  After yesterday's update, I refused to fix the icon - silly, I know, but I'm protesting!  LOL  It is still sitting on my toolbar as a blank icon.  I've opened EN through clipping and by going to the start menu several times, but the icon still sits empty.  I'm not sure what the PCOh is, so I can't say if it has been restarted or not :)  I rarely ever restart my machine, so if EN needs this to happen in order to restore the icon, well, I'm out of luck.  I work on too many things at once and leave them all open so restarting is a major act for me.

Thank for you for the suggestion, perhaps it will work for Longarche! 

OH! Yes, I see that I did that!  :)  Yeah, a reboot's not going to happen.  I almost won't install anything that insists on restarting my computer, so a reboot just to get an icon back for EN is not in the cards for me.  

Great suggestion and I bet that would definitely take care of the problem.  Personally, I don't think I should have to reboot to keep an icon - I mean, what's the difference in just dragging down a new icon and restarting - both are inconveniences that really shouldn't be required to update EN - in my opinion.  

Thanks again - I think I feel better just knowing that I'm not the only one out there to loose the silly icon!

• Level 5*

I think it only affects the icons that you add yourself. Since Evernote uses the "clean utility", those icons lose their target once the .exe is gone, and Evernote isn't able to know where those icons are and update them once the exe is back in place. 

You can also try just restarting explorer.exe and see if that helps the next time you update.

Hummm...that's interesting because yes, I always have to put the icon on the toolbar myself...but I only started doing that after it continued to clear the icon.  I'm sure the first time I installed EN on both computers I didn't put the icon there, but instructed (as I do all my installs) to only put the icon on the Windows toolbar and not on the desktop.  

I'm not real savvy on the back end of things...so if I deleted the icon before the next update, would EN ask me where or if I wanted an icon put somewhere?  Then, for future updates, the icon would most likely be updated as the system would have placed it instead of being manually put there?  Perhaps it would need to be a clean install for EN to question about icons, I'm not knowledgeable about that sort of issue.  

Good suggestion to restart explorer.exe, but again - if I deleted the manual icon, would restarting explorer then place the icon or are you referring to updating the manual icon that I have already placed?  I still have not replaced the icon (I'm still boycotting the issue! :) - and neither have I restarted the computer, as that would take an act of Congress!  LOL

Thank you so very much for your help and suggestions and taking what seems to be a small issue so seriously.  I really appreciate it!

• 1 month later...

Wanted to say this is also an ongoing issue for me.  Evernote is the only application I've seen do this.  I'm on Win7, 64-bit as well.  Evernote version 5.3.1.3363 (271363) public.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Solution

There's a simple workaround...
Unpin EN from your taskbar
Open C:\Program files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote and find Evernote.exe.
Right click and drag the exe to your desktop, release, select "Create shortcut" on your desktop.

It will (it does for me anyway) correctly build a shortcut with icon.

Drag that icon to your taskbar.

Repeat for the Start Menu entry.

Delete the desktop shortcut, delete the bad icon from the start menu.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So weird. I would never have thought to drag the actual exe to the desktop or Start Menu... always right-clicking and using "Create Shortcut", which *should* do the same thing, shouldn't it? But it clearly does not. I actually *do* remember a long time ago when dragging the exe to the desktop was one way to do it... long forgotten, now remembered. Thanks for the easy fix!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

If you have removed the original installation file, the icon can no longer be found.

Solution: go to the installation directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote.

Make a shortcut for the file evernote.exe on the desktop (it will not make a shortcut here).

Drag the icon on the desktop to the taskbar, and delete the icon on the desktop.

Done.

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much,

Unpinning from taskbar and then dragging exe file to task bar fixed it for me. It was driving me crazy trying to explain why it was the blank icon on one pc and the evernote icon on the other two, to the office girls.

On further inspection the icon was actually a shortcut to a shortcut, not a shortcut to teh evernote.exe file.  this may have been the cause.

Anyway THANKS  :) :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

An additional note here on the "changed" icon.

I just upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 and the icon did in fact change to the blank page icon. Turns out that it was a Shortcut to a Shortcut as mentioned above.

The upgrade makes shortcuts to all programs that were originally on the desktop but it apparently makes shortcuts to shortcuts! The only icon that was affected by this was the EN icon?

• 3 months later...

The Windows upgrade makes shortcuts to all programs that were originally on the desktop but it apparently makes shortcuts to shortcuts! In my case, the only icon that was affected by this was the EN icon? To "fix" the problem, simply unpin the current EN icon from the taskbar and drag the actual EN exe file to the taskbar.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

My first post!  And annoyingly it's to add my voice to this issue that looks as though it's been a problem for more than 6 years :(

I've been using Evernote for a couple of years now, on Android mobile and tablet and on a Windows 10 PC. Largely happy with the apps, but this bug has plagued me every single time I update to a newer version of Evernote on the PC.  My old Windows 10 PC had the same problem.

I'm not interested in workarounds or hacks, I'd much rather Evernote just fixed the problem in the first place. I don't get the problem with other programs, it really is just Evernote.

• Level 5*
On 3/8/2020 at 2:28 PM, kaizohh said:

I'm not interested in workarounds or hacks, I'd much rather Evernote just fixed the problem in the first place.

If there was an actual bug I'd expect Evernote to be buried under a torrent of complaints from all Windows users.  The fact that my Windows 10 setup works fine,  and I'd assume few other users have any issues other than those posted here,  Evernote are going to need a crystal ball to figure out why your system behaves in that way.  There will be no fixes on that basis.

You are a subscriber,  so it would be a good idea to reach out to Support and let them help you - and maybe find out something from your device which can help other users with this issue.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, FTUTONE said:

This is the reason I no longer use Evernote!

Stopped using it over a year ago and sorry to see that they still haven't fixed this problem.

I use OneNote instead. Works much better.

IMsHO (only semi-humble), if a missing icon is the reason you quit using Evernote, you made the right decision, since you must not have been getting much value from it (even for free) if that was the tipping point.

Semi-seriously musing: What is this mysterious hold that Evernote has over people, that they abandon it, find something else that works much better, and still come in here a year later to b, um, to p, um to complain about it? I am actually curious about what drew you back, and sorry for any evident snark.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, gazumped said:

The fact that my Windows 10 setup works fine

On one of my machines, the shortcut is always broken after install. The other machines are fine. No idea - and I worked on installers for a couple years before joining EN. I just delete the weird shortcut because I have a custom one that passes some command line args. I blame MSI.

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, dcon said:

I blame MSI.

The "because Windows" defence eh...  😄

11 minutes ago, dcon said:

I have a custom one that passes some command line args.

..anything you might share?  I'm always on the lookout for insider tech tips...

- Actually the thing I like most about Windows 10 is the fact I can click on the Start menu (or hit the Windows key) and type the first few letters of whatever app name I like,  and the search feature pops up a little box with the full app name like an instant icon I can click.  "Ev" forinstance gets me this -

771273544_ScreenClip1.png.a656cdf37739a576e6e64c7f81e3f239.png

A click or <return> starts things going...

All the apps I generally use get started that way - other than a few daily standards (browser,  Evernote, mail...) which get opened via a scripted batch file. 

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, dcon said:

On one of my machines, the shortcut is always broken after install. The other machines are fine. No idea - and I worked on installers for a couple years before joining EN. I just delete the weird shortcut because I have a custom one that passes some command line args. I blame MSI.

I hope to finish my career without having had to do installer work (including licensing stuff). Yeesh.

Fortunately the Evernote icon seem sreasonably well-behaved on the two machines I use, and it's an AutoRun anyhow,

• Level 5
20 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Actually the thing I like most about Windows 10 is the fact I can click on the Start menu (or hit the Windows key) and type the first few letters of whatever app name I like,  and the search feature pops up a little box with the full app name like an instant icon I can click.

Thanks for the tip -- which works on Windows 7 as well. The habits we carry over from previous versions of software or an OS are hard to change even if a newer, better option is available. I prefer to keep my hands on the keyboard, and this is a great way to start a program that way, pressing Enter instead of clicking.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...