Tags and subtags, what's the point?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Evernote and so for I really like it. One thing I can't understand is why are you able to create a Tag herarchi if parent tags are not implicitly applied to a note when a child tag is added. For Example, assuming the followng Tag herarchi:

-School

|-Math

|-Science

A search using the Tag filter "School" should find all notes with either "School", "Math" or "Science" Tags without having to manually add "School" to every note inside "Math" and "Science". What's the point of having subtags then? seems to me like the only use of this is to be able to organize Tags but no use at all in regards to Note organization...

Or am I missing something?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Evernote and so for I really like it. One thing I can't understand is why are you able to create a Tag herarchi if parent tags are not implicitly applied to a note when a child tag is added. For Example, assuming the followng Tag herarchi:

-School

|-Math

|-Science

A search using the Tag filter "School" should find all notes with either "School", "Math" or "Science" Tags without having to manually add "School" to every note inside "Math" and "Science". What's the point of having subtags then? seems to me like the only use of this is to be able to organize Tags but no use at all in regards to Note organization...

Nesting tags is helpful for organizing the tags. Also...

No parent-daughter functionality at all (daughter tag fails to propagate parent properties)?

ACDSee Photo Manager works the same way (applying a nested tag does not apply the parent tag.) It's NBD if you simply think of the parent tag as a "miscellaneous" or "other" tag. IE, say you have a parent tag of "friends" and nested tags of "Hiltons", "Fosters", "Smiths". If you have a note pertaining to Hiltons, Fosters and/or Smiths, you apply the nested tags. Then if you have a note pertaining to someone you rarely deal with, you don't have to create a new tag for them, just use the generic "friends" tag. Then when looking for something pertaining to Hiltons, Fosters or Smiths, you simply use the correct nested tag(s). If you're looking for everyone else, you simply use the generic "Friends" tag. If "Friends" were automatically populated for all the nested tags & you wanted to find something pertaining to a friend who is not a Hilton, Foster or Smith, and you don't remember their name or simply want to browse through the notes pertaining to friends who are not Hiltons, Fosters or Smiths, you'd have to either search through all the notes tagged with friends, looking for the one(s) you want or else do a search on "tag:Friends -tag:Hiltons -tag:Fosters -tag:Smiths". This last option could be pretty complex if you have very many nested tags & would need to be updated each time you'd add a new nested tag. It really does make perfect sense to not auto populate the parent tag. In fact, it works the way sub notebooks would. If you had a notebook called "Friends" & sub notebooks of "Hiltons", "Fosters" & "Smiths" & put all the notes pertaining to Hiltons, Fosters & Smiths in the appropriate sub notebooks, then going to the Friends notebook would not bring up the notes filed in the Hiltons, Fosters or Smiths, sub notebooks. You'd have to drill down to the appropriate sub notebook.

Although I started out using EN with tags, check out the app Taggy for a pretty slick hierarchal approach to tags.  It's cheap, I bought it.  Although I bought it and loved it while I used it I no longer use it.  I no longer use tags either, well I use four tags and three notebooks.  Anything more is excessive!

Eventually, I'll share my EN setup.  It's rather simple, but totally awesome with very little overhead!

seems to me like the only use of this is to be able to organize Tags but no use at all in regards to Note organization...

Hi.

You can use this parent tag for informations related to school : notations, administration mail, agenda,...

And think about this : do you actualy need tags for this subjects ?

Maybe just starting your notes title with Math, Physics,... could fit your needs.

Édit: you can also use prefix for this tags: schoolMath, schoolPhysics...

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived