Evernote for Windows 5.2.0 RC: a much better sync

Hello Windows users!

We have a Release Candidate for version 5.2.0 (basically think of this as a final beta). This is a special update for Windows because we're showing off a lot of hardwork that the team has been put in to make sync a more magical experience. You should see sync finish much more quickly and the app should be much more performant when sync is happening.

What is in the the 5.2.0 Beta 2 and earlier is a sync engine that was not really designed to handle most of the tasks we're now throwing at it. We've been updating and fixing it for years but now we're retiring it. This is a big first step, and we'll keep rolling out improvements and optimizations.

We also have a ton of bug fixes and speed improvements to image Annotation.

If you find an issue, listing the steps that trigger it are very useful. It is also good to note when is the last time you sync'd, what version of Evernote you were running before you upgraded and what your internet connection is like (high-speed, over VPN, behind a firewall, through a proxy, etc).

If you're comfortable sending over Activity Logs, please PM me.

You can opt into beta's by going to Tools >> Options and checking [ ] Update to pre-release version when available

You can also download directly here: http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/prerelease/Evernote_5.2.0.2775.exe

Thanks everyone!

Hello.

Thanks for the new version. However. Is it me or does Annotate still not resize?

PC Version 5.2.2775

Thanks

We don't have resize in there, if something we posted sounded to the contrary then my apologies. I did want to ask about resizing. Do you want to resize it so that it lays out differently in the note? Or do you care specifically about the pixel dimensions of images you drop into Evernote? Could you provide an example workflow?

Oh! I saw the Presentation Modus! Great! Windows-Developers: You are my heros! :-) (And if you want to be my super heros than integrate Markdown ;-) )

Yep, for anyone who wants to try it out we'd love some feedback. You'll need to fiddle with the registry setting and add in "ShowPresentationMode" set to 1 under CurrentUser/Software/Evernote/Evernote

Hello.

Thanks for the new version. However. Is it me or does Annotate still not resize?

PC Version 5.2.2775

Thanks

We don't have resize in there, if something we posted sounded to the contrary then my apologies. I did want to ask about resizing. Do you want to resize it so that it lays out differently in the note? Or do you care specifically about the pixel dimensions of images you drop into Evernote? Could you provide an example workflow?

I thought to you mentioned resizing will come ... I'm getting a lot of mails from Evernote users who want the same thing, which is already in skitch:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/sh/52690ebc-ccb3-40c4-ba2e-8a5f2a9a02dd/78c433e52bb71248253abf9961a1ff5d

Often you have too big photos in notes and just want to make it smaller.

For me, the way Skitch did it was fine.

I paste an image from a scanner, but which may be quite large.

Its useful just to reduce it down so it takes less Mb space but I may scan small things that I don't want taking a whole page.

I notice that crop can distort the image too.

On skitch you sometimes had to reslide the image onto the note.

I don't see any need for that.

Otherwise Skitch seemed to have it sorted though

I understand that a new version of EN Touch is in the works and currently in Alpha. Is there any plan to release this version for ARM processors (e.g. for Windows RT)

This is actually the desktop application. The Evernote Touch app works for both Intel and ARM processors and we just got a new version in the Windows Store yesterday.

• Level 5*

Oh! I saw the Presentation Modus! Great! Windows-Developers: You are my heros! :-) (And if you want to be my super heros than integrate Markdown ;-) )

Yep, for anyone who wants to try it out we'd love some feedback. You'll need to fiddle with the registry setting and add in "ShowPresentationMode" set to 1 under CurrentUser/Software/Evernote/Evernote

I use Evernote Windows several times a week for presentations and status meetings so have been wanting to give this a try.  Thanks for rolling it out.  Here are a couple of observations:

- checkboxes render as broken images

- I believe updates typed live into the note should show on the presentation screen.  I'm not seeing that.

• Level 5*

Also noticed in this version the creation of a local notebook titled Unsynced Notes.  There was one note in there from about 5 months ago.  I'm guessing this is a replacement for the Conflicting Changes notebook.  What is puzzling to me is that I did not have a Conflicting Changes notebook.  I'm pretty careful about syncing and on the occasion I do get a sync conflict I resolve it quickly and delete the notebook.  I deleted the note and the notebook and will see if it shows up again in the future.

Hi,

there is a BIG ISSUE:

If you create internal link from several selected notes (select several notes, right click, copy note link), the pasted link will becom URL links, instead of INTERNAL link.

Which means, in Evernote for Android, the link will try to open in the web-browser instead of staying in Evernote App.

The evidence is: press ctrl+space bar in order to "simplify formating" and those url-links will turn blue, chile actual internal links stay green.

I must say that I didn't select copy note url, but indeed note links.

Hi,

there is a BIG ISSUE:

If you create internal link from several selected notes (select several notes, right click, copy note link), the pasted link will becom URL links, instead of INTERNAL link.

Which means, in Evernote for Android, the link will try to open in the web-browser instead of staying in Evernote App.

The evidence is: press ctrl+space bar in order to "simplify formating" and those url-links will turn blue, chile actual internal links stay green.

right - but very funny: it still has the "normal" behavior. That means:

1. intern links don't start as usual with "evernote://..." they start with "https//www.evernote.com/shard/s1..."

2. but if you click on this links at once comes the right desktop note (in Windows) - no loop way through the web

3. the linked notes have not the symbol for "shared"

Screens: http://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/sh/bf81ef21-f29f-4751-8eb3-3e1b088b004c/54e211e534f49bfcf20c1a4e99e224b2

(by the way: the real shared notes have no "https://", they have "http://")

//edit: if you mark only one note, than the link starts with "evernote://"

Hi rob, where are you pasting these note links? 

in another note.

"internal link" you know, the green ones. If I make those links from multi-selected notes, instead of a green link, it will make blue ones = url. (blue only if formating has been simplified by ctrl+space).

If you stay in Desktop version, the link will open in Evernote. But in Android version, the link will open in the web browser, wich is a misbehavior.

I updated today. Since then there is a lot of seemingly aimless self-scrolling going on in the very left column (Notes, Notebooks, Tags). For example, I scroll down to find a specific notebook, select a note from it, and while the note stays in focus, the left column slowly scrolls back up to the very top. Is this expected behaviour? I really don't like it. 

Hi,

there is a BIG ISSUE:

+1

Same for Iphone/Ipad. When I click on some link it redirects me to the note in the app but some of the link redirect me to evernote page.

Also I opened one of the note in Iphone with the Numbering and it has chaged some of the points to the bullet points which destroyed the whole structure.

//edit: if you mark only one note, than the link starts with "evernote://"

Could you clarify on this? I don't see a difference at all between selecting an indivudal note and multiple notes. I'll post the expected behavior in just a minute

For those of you having issues with note links, please post detailed steps of how to reproduce unexpected behaviors along with your expectations. Thanks!

I believe that the issue is that note links appear to have changed in structure. Why the change? Well, that is one for you ;)

Old format:

evernote:///view/user id/shard id/note guid/client specific id/[linked notebook guid]/

New Format:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/nl/3038058/<note guid>

I think the issue being reported here is that they are not supported very well. Now, outside of Evernote, clicking a note link will take you to a web page, and then (depending on your settings/environment) either prompt to open in desktop (or equivalent) version or open the client as well.

The problem is, that opening a note link, now involves the browser, instead of just directly opening the note.

EDIT: And now that people can "Request Permission" I will have to edit that link...If you log into the wrong account when it loads the web page, you see a request permission page...

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/6282a3e8-8880-42fc-90e7-297760e6a68b/0f9cc6894b42747137dcf4cb6440ec60

In regards to notelinks, the Windows client is using new behavior and I'll clarify a bit more on it.

If you select "Copy Note Link" and paste back into Evernote, you should see no change in behavior. You should get the green note links with the note title as the anchor text

If you select "Copy Note Link" and paste anywhere else (such as into a browser address bar or notepad) you will see an https.... link. This link will behave better "out in the wild" outside of Evernote. Virtually every operating system knows how to deal with an https link (in case you don't have Evernote installed on that particular machine) and there is a way to add that note to your account or even request access to it if you don't have permission to view the note. Under the old system, users would run into various issues when pasting a note link outside of Evernote and we're trying to streamline that process.

In the Evernote for Windows client, if you select your note(s) and then hold down Ctrl then go up to the menu bar and select Notes >> Copy Note Links then you will always get old behavior.

Yes, I understand that now, I think. It does make sense to be more usable outside, and I think the issue that people are seeing with regards to say android is that the note links do not yet work with that client, so they open the browser, then go back to the client. (I am hoping they will be updated to handle this)

Another issue, is that this will making links work in 3rd party apps that run them using the evernote:// protocol break, and so when they change it, the app will open the browser.

Shortcuts...(.lnk files) Or pasting a note into the run box will open the browser first.

I think in a broader sense, this is a good thing, but will break other methods of using note links on a smaller, more specific scale.

Also, what happens to older (evernote://) links? Will they fail to work at some point?

I think that if you first paste into Notepad (or somewhere else) and then back into Evernote, then you'll end up with an https... link inside of Evernote. If you just paste directly, you'll get the old evernote:/// notelinks. So those aren't going away and of course any old notelinks you made will continue to work.

3rd party apps can update so that when you paste inside of them that you'll get the old behavior as well. I believe we'll be talking about that more as the other Evernote clients adopt the same behavior. The Windows client is just the first to roll it out.

I think that if you first paste into Notepad (or somewhere else) and then back into Evernote, then you'll end up with an https... link inside of Evernote. If you just paste directly, you'll get the old evernote:/// notelinks. So those aren't going away and of course any old notelinks you made will continue to work.

Ah, so then the problem people are reporting is when there is more than one note selected, and pasting directly into Evernote. You should expect evernote:/// links, but when more than one note link is pasted (into Evernote) it appears as a weblink.

Also noticed in this version the creation of a local notebook titled Unsynced Notes.  There was one note in there from about 5 months ago.  I'm guessing this is a replacement for the Conflicting Changes notebook.  What is puzzling to me is that I did not have a Conflicting Changes notebook.  I'm pretty careful about syncing and on the occasion I do get a sync conflict I resolve it quickly and delete the notebook.  I deleted the note and the notebook and will see if it shows up again in the future.

The Unsynced Notes is a somewhat new behavior. It sounds like you have a note that we had trouble upsyncing so we moved it into "Unsynced Notes." The most common case is if you've manually edited the ENML of a note or you imported a note from somewhere else (possibly a 3rd party application) the note now has a prohibited element in the ENML.

Ah, so then the problem people are reporting is when there is more than one note selected, and pasting directly into Evernote. You should expect evernote:/// links, but when more than one note link is pasted (into Evernote) it appears as a weblink.

I can select multiple notes, hit "Copy Note Links" and paste into Evernote and get multiple evernote:/// links... if there's a way to get weblinks instead please post and we'll fix it

Hello Windows users!

We have a Release Candidate for version 5.2.0 (basically think of this as a final beta). This is a special update for Windows because we're showing off a lot of hardwork that the team has been put in to make sync a more magical experience. You should see sync finish much more quickly and the app should be much more performant when sync is happening.

What is in the the 5.2.0 Beta 2 and earlier is a sync engine that was not really designed to handle most of the tasks we're now throwing at it. We've been updating and fixing it for years but now we're retiring it. This is a big first step, and we'll keep rolling out improvements and optimizations.

We also have a ton of bug fixes and speed improvements to image Annotation.

If you find an issue, listing the steps that trigger it are very useful. It is also good to note when is the last time you sync'd, what version of Evernote you were running before you upgraded and what your internet connection is like (high-speed, over VPN, behind a firewall, through a proxy, etc).

If you're comfortable sending over Activity Logs, please PM me.

You can opt into beta's by going to Tools >> Options and checking [ ] Update to pre-release version when available

You can also download directly here: http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/prerelease/Evernote_5.2.0.2775.exe

Thanks everyone!

FYI, I had made several changes to my main account (63,000+ notes) via the web client.  These changes are new notes as well as editing the notes, changing notebooks & tags.  When I switched EN Windows desktop from my secondary/duet account to the main one, it took eight minutes to sync.  I think that's pretty good.  But...then I went & removed myself from one notebook that was shared to me...and the Windows client took quite a long time to return from that.  The second shared-to-me-notebook that I left went much more quickly - like less than a minute.  I don't recall how many notes were in each notebook, so have no idea if that has any bearing on the subject or not.  The third one had 11 notes & took about three minutes.  Just FYI...

I can select multiple notes, hit "Copy Note Links" and paste into Evernote and get multiple evernote:/// links... if there's a way to get weblinks instead please post and we'll fix it

I don't know what I am doing differently, but I do the same, and get weblinks.

Select two notes -> Right click, copy note links -> New Note -> Paste -> Web links.

at first sight, the kinks are green, but when I press ctrl+space, they turn blue and are actually web links

• Level 5

5.2.0.2775 on Windows 7.

Seems counter-intuitive, but if I right click one note from the note list and "Copy Note Link" I get an evernote:/// link

If I select two notes, right click, and "Copy Note Links", I get web links (https://www.evernote.com... ) (the giveaway also being that it pauses to sync first).

Given the lack of the Mac feature to create an index note from multi-selected notes, I would think the preference would be the evernote:\\\ links

• Level 5*

The Unsynced Notes is a somewhat new behavior. It sounds like you have a note that we had trouble upsyncing so we moved it into "Unsynced Notes." The most common case is if you've manually edited the ENML of a note or you imported a note from somewhere else (possibly a 3rd party application) the note now has a prohibited element in the ENML.

The note that was in the Unsynced Notes folder was actually a pdf document that was added using an import folder.

Documents show created date, and it does not change to modified date. Earlier versions (4.x, I can't say for sure of 5.x) of evernote would update the date and time to last save, making it easy to see at a glance whether the document saved and is the most recent copy. Word documents is what I am noticing this on.

I'm having a sync issue similar but different from s2sailor. 

The note shown here includes a PDF that was imported from my import folder.  As you can see, it did not sync (or the indicator didn't clear), despite the fact that more recent notes had successfully synced.  The note does not appear in an "Unsynced Notes" folder, however.

I had this issue with multiple notes yesterday, but am not certain whether they were all PDF or imported via Import Folder.

The workaround I used yesterday was to Copy Note URL to Clipboard, which did the trick.  Un-sharing worked, but obviously this isn't the most secure workaround. 

UPDATE: the web client shows the file.  I suspect that the Windows app isn't clearing the Sync indicator. 

The note shown here includes a PDF that was imported from my import folder.  As you can see, it did not sync (or the indicator didn't clear), despite the fact that more recent notes had successfully synced.  The note does not appear in an "Unsynced Notes" folder, however.

I had this issue with multiple notes yesterday, but am not certain whether they were all PDF or imported via Import Folder.

The workaround I used yesterday was to Copy Note URL to Clipboard, which did the trick.  Un-sharing worked, but obviously this isn't the most secure workaround. 

UPDATE: the web client shows the file.  I suspect that the Windows app isn't clearing the Sync indicator. 

Looking into it

• Level 5*

I updated today. Since then there is a lot of seemingly aimless self-scrolling going on in the very left column (Notes, Notebooks, Tags). For example, I scroll down to find a specific notebook, select a note from it, and while the note stays in focus, the left column slowly scrolls back up to the very top. Is this expected behaviour? I really don't like it. 

I just noticed this today.  Even if the cursor is outside of the EN window, or on another display using extended mode, moving the cursor to the very bottom or top of the display will cause scrolling in the left pane.  I can't believe this is expected behavior.

• Level 5*

I use Evernote Windows several times a week for presentations and status meetings so have been wanting to give this a try.  Thanks for rolling it out.  Here are a couple of observations:

- checkboxes render as broken images

- I believe updates typed live into the note should show on the presentation screen.  I'm not seeing that.

More comments on Windows Presentation Mode.  I have yet to get this to work correctly where my note is on my primary screen (laptop) and the presentation display is on the extended display (projector).  The presentation window always shows up on the primary screen.  I cannot get it to show up on the extended screen.  In the upper right corner of the presentation screen I do see a Change Screen (ctrl-s) option which I'm guessing is intended to move the presentation screen to the other display, but when I try it nothing happens.  Has anyone been able to get this to work correctly?

Thanks for the update!

One small issue that I found.  When I click to add tags now, the "smart search" no longer works.  i.e. if I type "Tr" it will not give me the option to pick "Travel" and "Transportation" in a drop down.

Anyone else seeing this?

• Evernote Expert

The beta that was released last week was good, but this one is extremely slow and clunky. I could attribute it to the fact that while EN setup files size range around 50-55MB, this one was around 80MB. I can accept that while Presentation mode might have some teething problems, the build in itself is quite slow, definitely much slower than last week's beta or the last stable release. The response times for all other parts of the app is slow, and if i try to force it, the app freezes. Maybe, some thing in the code needs more optimization. Dlu, could you please check on this?  Windows 7 64 bit - Sony Vaio - i3 - 2GB Ram -

No issues with the syncing though - it seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the update!

One small issue that I found.  When I click to add tags now, the "smart search" no longer works.  i.e. if I type "Tr" it will not give me the option to pick "Travel" and "Transportation" in a drop down.

Anyone else seeing this?

Hmm - not on my end.

Thanks for the update!

Anyone else seeing this?

Hmm - not on my end.

Update on this.  The issue is happening only on Business notebooks (both on shared and not shared notebooks).  The functionality appears to be working OK in personal notebooks.  Unfortunately for me, 99% of my EN usage is in business notebooks.

Note also that the tag filtering drop down at the top is also not working properly in business notebooks, but works fine in personal notebooks.  Guessing the two issues are related

Also, just to double check, I logged onto my other PC that is running 5.1.1.2334 and is an identical machine and everything works fine

Thanks for the update!

Anyone else seeing this?

Hmm - not on my end.

Update on this.  The issue is happening only on Business notebooks (both on shared and not shared notebooks).  The functionality appears to be working OK in personal notebooks.  Unfortunately for me, 99% of my EN usage is in business notebooks.

Note also that the tag filtering drop down at the top is also not working properly in business notebooks, but works fine in personal notebooks.  Guessing the two issues are related

Also, just to double check, I logged onto my other PC that is running 5.1.1.2334 and is an identical machine and everything works fine

Looking into this, thanks for posting

The beta that was released last week was good, but this one is extremely slow and clunky. I could attribute it to the fact that while EN setup files size range around 50-55MB, this one was around 80MB. I can accept that while Presentation mode might have some teething problems, the build in itself is quite slow, definitely much slower than last week's beta or the last stable release. The response times for all other parts of the app is slow, and if i try to force it, the app freezes. Maybe, some thing in the code needs more optimization. Dlu, could you please check on this?  Windows 7 64 bit - Sony Vaio - i3 - 2GB Ram -

No issues with the syncing though - it seems to be working fine.

Yeah, weird that the previous build was fine, but this one is slow. Is it slow with normal operations and right away? Or does it tend to happen after certain actions?

Are you using Image Annotation or Presentation mode? Weird that sync is fine, but performance otherwise is fine

• Evernote Expert
Sorry for the late response - Here are my observations about the current beta build :

1. The build response in general is not as bad as i mentioned, but it is definitely slower than the previous version. ( Boot and settling time.)
2. Image Annotations - The Skitch annotation tool set has been smoothly integrated into Evernote in this version as well. Image annotation is seamless.
3. PDF annotation - When the user clicks on Annotate first time around, he is taken on a tour that also mentions PDF Annotation. ( This feature for Skitch was present only across mobiles and not yet been done for PC. So, i Presumed that PDF annotation has been brought into PC as well.) However, when i hovered around PDF, i did not find the "Annotate" button. Opening the PDF file for annotation also took me to my default Foxit reader. So, either PDF annotation should be brought into Evernote (or) the Mention of PDF annotation should be removed in the "First time Tour for Annotation."
4. Presentation Mode -
  1. If a Note is right clicked in the middle bar, "Presentation Mode" option does not appear.
  2. If multiple notes are selected and right clicked, "Presentation Mode" appears. Performance of loading Presentation mode is varying, although it is functionally working. The transition time from one note to next by pressing "->" is sometimes slow. An automatic "Table of Contents" is not created as shown in the marketing video.
  3. When an individual note is fully opened, Presentation mode icon can be seen. This seems to be loading fine in presentation mode.
  4. When an indidvidual note is opened, clicking on the hyperlink does not load the clicked note in Presentation Mode. This feature is present in "IOS version of Presentation Mode" and ought to be brought to Windows. I don't think this would be tough, since in Windows, all Notes are available locally.

5. Type Ahead Search - The client freezes after 2 characters are entered in previous versions, and after some time, it stablizes on its own. In this version, it is even more worse, since even after third and fourth character, freezing continues. If you forcibly try to enter a third character before system responds, the entire client freezes.

• Evernote Expert
Bug Observed in Beta Release :

In the event of "Conflicting Changes" in Notes, the Conflicting Changes are automatically appended to the note. However, neither does an intimation of a "Conflicting Change" is mentioned using the "Activity Feed", nor is the Conflicting change note, pushed automatically into the "Conflicting Changes" Notebook.

Because of this, the user themselves won't even be aware that their notes are locked in Conflicting changes, or won't know, which are the notes which are locked in Conflict.

Dlu, Please look into this.

Updated to 5.2 release. This does suggest resizing (see screenshot) :-) So, how do we resize images? It is very important functionality and one which is very easy to implement. A few lines of code to use bicubic interpolation.

One thing to mention: crop function (and later on resize) could really benefit from optional proportions constraint. Like in photoshop and many other programs, if during resize you hold down shift key, the resizing/cropping box is restricted to it's original proportions... I am sure many people expect it, just as I am :-)

post-124726-0-61456400-1393968420_thumb.

• Level 5

See: http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/28944986

That said, no amount of click stumbling gets me there.

Resize tool: Use this tool to enlarge or reduce the image size:

1. Select the Resize tool icon (a toggle switch lets you alternate between the Resize and Crop tools)
  2. Select the percentage or enter the dimensions you’d like to enlarge or reduce the image size to

I'm still having problems with the sync. No notes I create in the desktop client show up on the web.

I've been having problems with the sync for about a month, but I think I only noticed because I've been using the desktop client more often now.

Is anybody else having this problem? Or could it be my machine?

• Level 5

I was having speed problems (both search and sync) with version 5.1.0.2217 when moving notes from my primary Evernote account to my secondary account.

Evernote Support suggested I upgrade to the pre-release version 5.2.0.2775 which has a "faster, more efficient sync engine support".

My latest results using with the new version Evernote:

Number of notes moved: 71
Size of notes ranged from: 771B to 251KB
Average note size: 30KB [not very large]

After moving the notes:

Time to synchronize: 2 minutes 49 seconds

5.2.0.2946 (270946) on windows 7 

Regarding the note link issue: I use the note link to access a note via my IOS todo app. My workflow: Right-click on a note, copy note link, paste in email note and send to IOS to do app. In EN 5.1 the note link was evernote://, now it is https://. So on my Ipad this link opens the browser instead of EN app.

I no longer see the sync status/ progress at the bottom right. That was useful, especially when syncing many files. I knew where I stood more or less judging on how the "%" progressed.

I no longer see the sync status/ progress at the bottom right. That was useful, especially when syncing many files. I knew where I stood more or less judging on how the "%" progressed. I have checked "status bar" in the view options... so that's not it...

Now the intern link thing works very fine for me: "evernote:///..." comes if I put it in a note (and so it works in iOS-Evernote also fine), "https:///" comes in extern software (so it works if Evernote is not installed, per example at the office). Think so it is better for the most casual "link users".

Maybe a suggestion for power users who have at all systems Evernote installed: it is a little bit faster to open notes with the "evernote:///" link and so they want to copy such links in Word, Google calendar and so on. Now they have to copy the links first in a note than to the extern software. Maybe you could implement in the option menu an item "Do you want always evernote links?" or so.

In the Evernote for Windows client, if you select your note(s) and then hold down Ctrl then go up to the menu bar and select Notes >> Copy Note Links then you will always get old behavior.

With the "old behavior" being the evernote:/// type of link

Ah! Great! If I press the Ctrl key a got always evernote:///-links. Superb :-)

(= new chapter for a new evernote book ;-) )

I appreciate that the original link format was preserved, and thank you for quickly making that news public. What I appreciate much, much less is having to spend time finding that information on the 2nd/3rd page of an obscure forum thread -- not to mention the blithe series of presumptions behind the change itself: that Internet access is always available, for example, or that changing desktop links to have them bounce first through a web browser (which may not even be running), then a web SERVER (which may not even be accessible), then to a read-only web version of my link, which I despise seeing on any occasion -- that all of this new behavior is in any way useful, desirable, or anything other than a massive/unintended pain in the ass to those of us who are used to working with desktop links.

Why isn't linking the original, faster, more accurate, and more useful way still a menu option, at least? Evernote has long been trumpeting the "copy URL" command's primacy in the interface, though, and directing newer users toward it for (completely understandable!) support reasons. But to eliminate it from the interface entirely seems to be in ignorance of (or presumptuously dismissive toward) its many obvious use-cases -- people whose workflows depends upon desktop shortcuts, people who may want to store accurate Evernote links in apps that (gasp) aren't Evernote, etc. -- or to presage the eventual deprecation of evernote:/// links entirely. Could you please clarify whether that is the long-term intention?

In the short term, I'll learn to press "ctrl". And despite my tone of severe dismay/annoyance, fwiw, I am very grateful that I could eventually find your post and get that info -- so I also want to thank you for your engagement, and for your effort, which I genuinely appreciate.

Since yesterday I noticed exactly the same issue reported by mcluff. It affects some older notes containing PDFs. What's more puzzling is that the problem seems to be limited to a specific notebook. And there is no "unsynced Notes" folder.

These sync issues make me very nervous about my database integrity. What I mean is that I won't ever know if I have lost any of my notes until I need them. This sync problems could turn out to be a silent killer...

I appreciate that the original link format was preserved, and thank you for quickly making that news public. What I appreciate much, much less is having to spend time finding that information on the 2nd/3rd page of an obscure forum thread -- not to mention the blithe series of presumptions behind the change itself: that Internet access is always available, for example, or that changing desktop links to have them bounce first through a web browser (which may not even be running), then a web SERVER (which may not even be accessible), then to a read-only web version of my link, which I despise seeing on any occasion -- that all of this new behavior is in any way useful, desirable, or anything other than a massive/unintended pain in the ass to those of us who are used to working with desktop links.

Why isn't linking the original, faster, more accurate, and more useful way still a menu option, at least? Evernote has long been trumpeting the "copy URL" command's primacy in the interface, though, and directing newer users toward it for (completely understandable!) support reasons. But to eliminate it from the interface entirely seems to be in ignorance of (or presumptuously dismissive toward) its many obvious use-cases -- people whose workflows depends upon desktop shortcuts, people who may want to store accurate Evernote links in apps that (gasp) aren't Evernote, etc. -- or to presage the eventual deprecation of evernote:/// links entirely. Could you please clarify whether that is the long-term intention?

In the short term, I'll learn to press "ctrl". And despite my tone of severe dismay/annoyance, fwiw, I am very grateful that I could eventually find your post and get that info -- so I also want to thank you for your engagement, and for your effort, which I genuinely appreciate.

We're not considering the removal of the original functionality, heck we use it all the time internally at Evernote. But there are an overwhelming amount of Evernote users who don't understand what it does at all or why we even have two in the first place which is what prompted this new functionality

Since yesterday I noticed exactly the same issue reported by mcluff. It affects some older notes containing PDFs. What's more puzzling is that the problem seems to be limited to a specific notebook. And there is no "unsynced Notes" folder.

These sync issues make me very nervous about my database integrity. What I mean is that I won't ever know if I have lost any of my notes until I need them. This sync problems could turn out to be a silent killer...

May I ask what your work flow is with these PDFs? And this might sound like an unusual question, but do you ever right click on a file on the desktop or somewhere else in the file system and click "Copy" and then paste the whole PDF into Evernote? Do you do this to move files around in Evernote?

Complicating matters, I had the same problem crop up again yesterday  - but with notes that did not contain PDFs. 

Some details:

• The notes had synced properly, but the unsynced indicator had not cleared.
  • Closing Evernote led to the standard prompt that I had unsynced notes (though I had indeed synced prior to exiting). 
  • As before, sharing the unsynced notes was the only method I could find to clear the unsynced indicator. 

May I ask what your work flow is with these PDFs? And this might sound like an unusual question, but do you ever right click on a file on the desktop or somewhere else in the file system and click "Copy" and then paste the whole PDF into Evernote? Do you do this to move files around in Evernote?

I usually drag&drop my files into EN but I can't remember if I did so with those specific PDFs or I right-clicked&copied (this last procedure is much more unusual for me). Thank you for your prompt reply.

• Level 5

Hmm.  I did find one sync quirk.

One note from Sept 2013 in the unsynced notebook.

If I make a copy into my default notebook and sync, it too gets moved to unsynced notebook.

If I copy it back to the default notebook, and make a textual edit, the sync works and doesn't move it back to the unsynced folder.

There's no attachments, it's just an error log note captured from an application.

Webpage error detailsUser Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.2; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152)Timestamp: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 15:48:14 UTC(edit)Message: System.ArgumentException: [ManagedObjectInfo_InvalidInvokeType]Arguments: Debugging resource strings are unavailable. Often the key and arguments provide sufficient information to diagnose the problem. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=106663&Version=8.1.20125.0&File=System.Windows.Browser.dll&Key=ManagedObjectInfo_InvalidInvokeTypeParameter name: invokeType   at System.Windows.Browser.ManagedObjectInfo.ScriptMethod.Invoke(ManagedObject obj, InvokeType invokeType, ScriptParam[] args)   at System.Windows.Browser.ManagedObjectInfo.Invoke(ManagedObject obj, InvokeType invokeType, String memberName, ScriptParam[] args)   at System.Windows.Hosting.ManagedHost.InvokeScriptableMember(IntPtr pHandle, Int32 nMemberID, Int32 nInvokeType, Int32 nArgCount, ScriptParam[] pArgs, ScriptParam& pResult, ExceptionInfo& pExcepInfo)Line: 35Char: 149Code: 0URI: http://[redacted].com/wp-includes/js/mediaelement/mediaelement-and-player.min.js?ver=2.13.0

EN Activity log:

08:44:22 [20216] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com/edam/note/s1
08:44:22 [20216] 0% Loaded updateCount: 63086
08:44:22 [20216] 0% Usage Metrics: sessionCount=0
08:44:22 [20216] 0% Client is up to date with the server, updateCount: 63086
08:44:23 [20216] 0% Updating server items
08:44:23 [20216] 0% Skipping note "Webpage error details" flagged as unsyncable (0x4) missing notebook (DATA_REQUIRED)
08:44:24 [20216] 100% 1 item was not synchronized
08:44:24 [20216] 100% * Note 30749, error: local flags (ENML_VALIDATION)
08:44:24 [20216] 100% Session terminated normally, elapsed time: 1s
08:44:24 [20216] 100% * sent: 157B, received: 91B

Regarding the link-functionality I have an alternative solution too confusing your users with two nearly identical concepts.

1. Have only one option; Note Links.
  2. Determine if the Note Link is public or not on the fly, by looking at the sharing settings for the target note.
  3. Then Dynamically adjust the link format to https:// when viewing the note in a browser and evernote:// when using a client (web or otherwise). - This could then be adjusted in the app-settings

This would require that you generate Note Links dynamically by their note id (and owner-id) rather than a one time url (the id could still be a "random" hash). All visibility of a note would be decided by the notes sharing-settings, not by what link you use to access it.

This solution would have the added benefit of allowing the user to following a Note Link directly to another note when using it in both the evernote-client and when viewing a public note in your browser, without unwanted switching of "platforms". Currently adding a Note Link by mistake from one public shared note to another would block other visitors from following that link, even if the target note is public. In reverse, using a public shared link in a local evernote-note would currently take the user to a browser, even if the note is perfectly accessible from inside evernote. By adding a override "Note Link format > https:// / evernote://" in the settings this default functionality could easily be overridden by power users.

I no longer see the sync status/ progress at the bottom right. That was useful, especially when syncing many files. I knew where I stood more or less judging on how the "%" progressed. I have checked "status bar" in the view options... so that's not it...

I agree. I really liked the sync status/progress at the bottom. Please add it back.

[snip]

This would require that you generate Note Links dynamically by their note id (and owner-id) rather than a one time url (the id could still be a "random" hash). All visibility of a note would be decided by the notes sharing-settings, not by what link you use to access it.

This seems like a very elegant solution -- and it's exactly how I originally assumed that links within Evernote would/should actually work, when I first started to use them. LOL OOPS

I'm sympathetic to the dev team's challenge of hatching 100% backward-compatible, webby/mobile thin-client apps out of a program that was originally grown in a thick-client IT universe. I've been there; it's hard! At the same time, Evernote is hardly the oldest software company in the world; quite a few others that've been extant since the 90's have managed to evolve and innovate quite well... 

But instead of whining any further about this great product, Ima focus on the positive: in recent versions of the Windows client, my bulleted lists are finally starting to behave in a way that doesn't instantly yank me to the brink of violent insanity. So... that's pretty nice!

By adding a override "Note Link format > https:// / evernote://" in the settings this default functionality could easily be overridden by power users.

I am Tron's pet Bit, flying around the above suggestion and robotically squealing "Yes! Yes! YESYESYESYES"

Syncing is better (previously didn't sync on startup & it did take "longer") but now the "Sync indicators" do not clear. Not sure if those notes are updated or not since my internet privileges are limited at work but previous versions did clear the indicators.

If there is any way I can elaborate to help get this situation corrected please let me know!

As a developer on the Evernote platform, I am pleased with the new functionality.  Most apps don't know how to interface with evernote:///  links.  I also understand why it has not made a big splash because it is not yet cross platform.  However, I tend to agree that it seems buried in a forum post and I'm wondering how developers can get ahead of these things so their apps don't break with this change or others.

Not looking for proprietary information, just an easy way to stay on top of developments that are already out in the wild.  This is the kind of thing I would expect on the @evernote_dev Twitter feed, but I don't recall anything.

It immediately raises questions like:

• Will the API change in how it uses note links?
  • Will the web app be able to redirect to the desktop app for logged-in users? based on preferences?
  • Can these links be built from the API now?

As with Evernote, our user experiences are paramount.  This change could help or hurt depending on notice and communication with impacted users.

• Level 5
  • Will the API change in how it uses note links? No.
  • Will the web app be able to redirect to the desktop app for logged-in users? based on preferences? Not sure what you're asking, but the web app will be able to redirect to native views of notes and notebooks.
  • Can these links be built from the API now? Yup, and I'm sure we'll publish a spec soon!

If anything, we're expanding the number of ways to navigate within apps using the evernote:// structure. This change was supposed to be transparent to 95% of our users who use note links. The other 5% will have workarounds to get "classic" note links. That 95% will enjoy reduce confusion about private vs public note links :)

• Level 5

We're not considering the removal of the original functionality, heck we use it all the time internally at Evernote. But there are an overwhelming amount of Evernote users who don't understand what it does at all or why we even have two in the first place which is what prompted this new functionality

Hmmm... So Evernote staff knows what it is and how it works... but an overwhelming amount of Evernote users don't?

Sounds like some better instructional info is needed from your documentation / marketing department.

Hmmm... So Evernote staff knows what it is and how it works... but an overwhelming amount of Evernote users don't?

Sounds like some better instructional info is needed from your documentation / marketing department.

Oh be fair jbenson, you know that most users wouldn't (and don't) read that type of stuff anyways. Not that we shouldn't be doing a better job of it, but it isn't going to be the solution for the majority of users.

• Level 5

Oh be fair jbenson, you know that most users wouldn't (and don't) read that type of stuff anyways. Not that we shouldn't be doing a better job of it, but it isn't going to be the solution for the majority of users.

I'm not trying to ridicule your comment. You and Jackolius are the two most responsive Evernote staff on this forum and I certainly appreciate it. I've been using Evernote since 2008 and have a bucket load of these types of questions. You might not think it is fair, but there are a lot of other Evernote users who bring up questions like this on the forum which could be addressed more effectively with proper documentation. Many of us resort to capturing comments from other users in an attempt to fully understand the changing landscape of Evernote.

... there are a lot of other Evernote users who bring up questions like this on the forum which could be addressed more effectively with proper documentation. Many of us resort to capturing comments from other users in an attempt to fully understand the changing landscape of Evernote.

I think jbenson is right: There are a lot of power Evernote users who are very interested in such functionalities and try to really understand how Evernote works as Evernote is their most important software tool. 

Evernote is such a powerful tool and if you go deeper there are some hidden features (like this one with the note links) that would be very useful to know and to publish...

• Level 5*

But I and others read it, and will reference good documentation when it helps out other folks on the forums here. The majority may not find it at first glance, but they can find it if nudged in that direction...

+1 for more instructional video, grapics and documentation. I may end up asking obvious questions sometimes, but I always make an attempt to find the answers I need before asking on this forum.

So yes, Dlu, I agree with Jbenson and Jetfito, more product documentation is a good thing. And to be honest, it's a little bit disheartening to have an Evernote staffer puts things quite the way you did. You may be right that most of us users aren't even aware of all the functions Evernote is capable of, but wouldn't that be an argument better suited for more and better documentation?

So...it seems that there was a new setting added at some point in the registry. Want to guess what it is?

ShowSyncStatus

You have one guess what it does. After reinstalling Evernote recently and going through the many changes I make in the registry, I noticed that this is disabled by default. One to add to the shared notebook :P

Not sure why this is disabled by default, I found it quite useful personally. Only reason I can come up with it that *sometimes* I have seen it leak into other windows which could be annoying...

Documentation (well-written AND maintained) really does lower the support load as the information spreads and as users use it and share what they know with other users (technical and user doc, thorough release notes). It also expresses that the company is maturing away from the "whoever has the time writes the docs and no docs means we're too busy" trap. A company Evernote's size can afford a tech writer or two. Saying "no-one reads the docs" is just a way of avoiding something that needs to be done. The docs might be the last thing users check, but they do get read. I've seen good tech writers nip things in the bud because they have to make logical sense of the app or apps as a whole, things the dept. experts never see cause they tend to get silo'd or are busy with other stuff.

I'm not trying to ridicule your comment. You and Jackolius are the two most responsive Evernote staff on this forum and I certainly appreciate it. I've been using Evernote since 2008 and have a bucket load of these types of questions. You might not think it is fair, but there are a lot of other Evernote users who bring up questions like this on the forum which could be addressed more effectively with proper documentation. Many of us resort to capturing comments from other users in an attempt to fully understand the changing landscape of Evernote.

But I and others read it, and will reference good documentation when it helps out other folks on the forums here. The majority may not find it at first glance, but they can find it if nudged in that direction...

+1 for more instructional video, grapics and documentation. I may end up asking obvious questions sometimes, but I always make an attempt to find the answers I need before asking on this forum.

So yes, Dlu, I agree with Jbenson and Jetfito, more product documentation is a good thing. And to be honest, it's a little bit disheartening to have an Evernote staffer puts things quite the way you did. You may be right that most of us users aren't even aware of all the functions Evernote is capable of, but wouldn't that be an argument better suited for more and better documentation?

Documentation (well-written AND maintained) really does lower the support load as the information spreads and as users use it and share what they know with other users (technical and user doc, thorough release notes). It also expresses that the company is maturing away from the "whoever has the time writes the docs and no docs means we're too busy" trap. A company Evernote's size can afford a tech writer or two. Saying "no-one reads the docs" is just a way of avoiding something that needs to be done. The docs might be the last thing users check, but they do get read. I've seen good tech writers nip things in the bud because they have to make logical sense of the app or apps as a whole, things the dept. experts never see cause they tend to get silo'd or are busy with other stuff.

Sure, I don't mean to suggest that we don't get better at writing documentation. That is definitely something we'll be working on and I don't mean to say it isn't valuable.

Perhaps I misread what Jbenson was saying, but it seemed to suggest that "if an overwhelming amount of Evernote users don't understand how a feature works, then some better instructional info is needed from your documentation / marketing department."

And in response to that, I wanted to point out that the additional instructional information by itself would only reach a small proportion (albiet very beloved) user base. We'll have to work on it from both sides. You'll start seeing more education and documentation about our products as well as seeing us refine the product themselves to be more intuitive

• Level 5

To be sure, compared to the install base, a tiny fraction will come here.  

It find it disheartening to see:

• 75 million Evernote user base
  • an all time forums user base around 98,400
  • a period unscientific spot check indicating typically less than a few hundred forum viewers, and a dozen or so actually logged in

Never the less.  One thing is certain.  If the documentation is written and published...

• Forum Illuminati will link to it and explain it in response to questions.
  • Bloggers will write more informed reviews and explain/expound on features and methods, and link to it
  • Media writers may write more informed articles (but probably not)

In it's absence though, it seems Support is already linking to our threads in response support requests, where we fill in documentation gaps based on hard earned pain experience, or discuss feature limitation work arounds.

So it's already two way.  But more to work with would definitely help.

So build/write it and they will come...

For an issue like the "Copy Note Link" CTRL+Click keyboard shortcut, something as simple as a tiny dropdown menu or tooltip to select between internal/external links could solve the need for crawling documentation or forums for a now hidden feature/variable.  Even that to me would just be a tiny bandaid on that issue.  I still don't see why that change is there since there was always an external note link option under the sharing options, and now there are two separate ways to achieve that same kind of link. I'd think the issue of bogging down phones via inadverdent external note links would be more common than someone's shared notes having internal links no one else could use.

I always went out of my way to use 'Copy URL to Clipboard' if I thought I'd be sharing notes with outside sources before, or would've intuitively started doing so if I encountered my first broken link issue.  As it is, I'm just glad internal is still an option and hope that we're not slowly being weened off of it.  ; )

The Documentation/FAQ debate reminds me of a weird issue I had years ago with my database getting bunked up from other issues, leading me to export a large amount of unsynced notes to an EN export file, and upon reinstall I found I had too many notes to import from one file. I went out of my head for over a week after continuously getting something along the lines of "too many notes to import" (even though it let me create the export file with that very amount, which were all now stranded in an .ENEX file. I experimented with different .ENEX files, and noticed somethng else - the file creation date was that of right then and there when I imported it, and of course no 'date modified' info either.  It wasn't til quite awhile later that I tried importing them by going to 'File/Import' instead of double clicking - and it imported them all perfectly fine, original dates intact. I'm not sure why the files are even allowed to be opened and imported from Windows Explorer if it's going to butcher the dates and restrict the amount of notes per .enex file when doing it within the program handles the same file without issue.

I confused the heck out of people here trying to ask for help, because I didn't realize the method of importing a note file would create different behavior of the same feature - it didn't even cross my mind to mention, as one would assume two ways to do the same task would create the same behavior. No one knew how to help me, and even now I'm not  sure if anyone realized that is/was even a variable thing (Maybe the size issue above has changed since 4.x, but the date issue hasn't).  Not only are issues like that non-intuitive, they just flat out don't make sense to me no matter how many times I try to think of a logical reason in retrospect.Just weird little inconsistencies like that, if they must exist, would help to be documented somewhere (if they were even realized to begin with) in a non-fragmented way.

A good tech writer working off existing docs would have caught the whole Evernote internal/external link confusion and red flags well before it got here... hire a couple while adding all those devs the CEO promised!

In regards to notelinks, the Windows client is using new behavior and I'll clarify a bit more on it.

If you select "Copy Note Link" and paste back into Evernote, you should see no change in behavior. You should get the green note links with the note title as the anchor text

If you select "Copy Note Link" and paste anywhere else (such as into a browser address bar or notepad) you will see an https.... link. This link will behave better "out in the wild" outside of Evernote. Virtually every operating system knows how to deal with an https link (in case you don't have Evernote installed on that particular machine) and there is a way to add that note to your account or even request access to it if you don't have permission to view the note. Under the old system, users would run into various issues when pasting a note link outside of Evernote and we're trying to streamline that process.

DLU, Here's what I'm seeing.  I doubt this is by design but check me on this.  If I Copy Note Link, then paste it into a note, it does show evernote:///

However, If I Copy Note Link, then select text in a note and hit Command-K for Link ---> Add, then it pastes http://

I'm so sick of Evernote changing functionality without telling users, and without providing proper backward compatibility.

I've been using Copy Note Link to copy note links into mindmaps and to-do's for months.  Now suddenly this is producing web links.  I have had to waste half-an-hour to track down this discussion that explains what is happening this time.

"dlu" above says that "In the Evernote for Windows client, if you select your note(s) and then hold down Ctrl then go up to the menu bar and select Notes >> Copy Note Links then you will always get old behavior".  Well, you don't.  You still get a web link on EN for Mac.

So right now the only work-around that I can see for something I do all day is to:

-Copy Note Link

-paste this into an Evernote note

-and copy this

Thanks Evernote for making this unbelievably unwieldy and clunky, and wasting my time, like just about every second change that you foist on users without telling them.

Would it have been SO hard to rather have TWO options in the context menu, thus providing backward compatibility:

Copy Note Link (for Web)

Copy Note Link (for desktop)

Soooo glad that OneNote is providing a viable alternative to Evernote!!!

"In the Evernote for Windows client, if you select your note(s) and then hold down Ctrl then go up to the menu bar and select Notes >> Copy Note Links then you will always get old behavior."

--- the equivalent for Mac is:

hold the Option+Control keys while SELECTING THE NOTE, and choose option "**Copy Classic Note Link**". This will create an evernote:/// link

• Level 5*

"In the Evernote for Windows client, if you select your note(s) and then hold down Ctrl then go up to the menu bar and select Notes >> Copy Note Links then you will always get old behavior."

--- the equivalent for Mac is:

hold the Option+Control keys while SELECTING THE NOTE, and choose option "**Copy Classic Note Link**". This will create an evernote:/// link

Just a point: you're posting about the Mac client in a Windows-tagged topic. It's unlikely that Mac folks would know to look here for your tip. If you want, we can split your Mac-related posts out to a separate -- appropriately titled -- topic so that they'd have better visibility. Up to you.

Please, please make the classic link the default on Mac. I've been using this for so long, I will certainly miss hitting "Opt" more times than I will get it right.

Generally, doesn't it make sense to make such a major functionality change ​not the default behavior?

Where do you paste links that they aren't working the way you expect? (i.e. where are you pasting links that are HTTP where you expect evernote://)

Calendar

Omnifocus

Other Evernotes

With the current default giving the http: note link, these notes all open in the web client instead of the native Mac Evernote client. The evernote: links also work just fine from Calendar and OmniFocus on iOS (which also needs a way to get an evernote: link – hint, hint see another post on this subject).

Never the less.  One thing is certain.  If the documentation is written and published...

• Forum Illuminati will link to it and explain it in response to questions.
  • Bloggers will write more informed reviews and explain/expound on features and methods, and link to it
  • Media writers may write more informed articles (but probably not)

And beyond this, the greater-by-an-order-of-magnitude number of people who will do a Google search, find the solution to their problem, and be satisfied with what they find -- without taking the extra step of affirming this with a follow-up post or comment. This is what I usually do, if the answer I find exposes a user error or otherwise seems to make sense. For better or for worse, I'll only actually say something if I'm especially annoyed with a product that's important to me. Or ecstatic, which is a lot more rare.

And changing my default Windows copy/paste behavior definitely falls into the mega-annoying category.

Where do you paste links that they aren't working the way you expect? (i.e. where are you pasting links that are HTTP where you expect evernote://)

I can not overemphasize the importance of the first context to my daily workflow:

• Windows desktop/explorer shortcuts (and sync'd to other devices via Dropbox)
  • Scrivener
  • Notepad++
  • MindJet MindManager
  • Google Calendar

These are just the contexts I use on a daily basis; there are additional edge cases. More generally, I cut-and-paste nearly constantly, and I don't expect my basic Windows cut-and-paste behavior to suddenly change.

I don't think this is unreasonable.

• Level 5

I would be okay with a hidden option (plist on Mac or Registry on Win) that makes the "old" (sane) behavior the default instead of EN launching me onto www.evernote.com every time I click a Note Link. Ugh.

Archived