Manual Sync PLEASE!

Evernote team. Thank you for making the greatest note-taking app EVER! With that said, I would like to propose a change to your sync options. At this point there is no manual sync option (except to sync over wi-fi only). This disallows many of your customers who work in sensitive countries and/or jobs that disallow information leaks to use your app. I would like an option to sync only when connected to my mac via itunes or even bluetooth. Could you please update your setting to make this possible? Until then, sadly, I cannot use your app. I love your app so, in the mean time, I am very sad and most of my ideas go unrecorded and the world stops getting better. Help me make the world a better place. Thanks Evernote!

• Level 5

It's a kludge, but have you considered:

• Ensure ios7 background sync is disabled for Evernote
  • Put the ios device into airplane mode from the control center
  • jot the note in evernote
  • force quit evernote
  • take the device out of airplane mode

Now the new note and your existing notes previously synced are all cached locally.

When you're on a trusted safe network, launch Evernote and let it sync.

If you meant a local sync only between the desktop and the ios device, then I'm not sure Evernote is your ticket.

Some of the primary functions, and value propositions of the service are done only on the Evernote server side.

Meaning it's a client/server arrangement, not client to client.  Leaving the server out of the business model went away in Evernote's pivot between 2007 and 2008.

• Level 5*

Evernote team. Thank you for making the greatest note-taking app EVER! With that said, I would like to propose a change to your sync options. At this point there is no manual sync option (except to sync over wi-fi only).

To manually sync, go to the elephant icon and tap your account name. I think this is what we usually consider to be "manual." My guess is that you don't mean this sense of manual, though.

This disallows many of your customers who work in sensitive countries and/or jobs that disallow information leaks to use your app. I would like an option to sync only when connected to my mac via itunes or even bluetooth. Could you please update your setting to make this possible? Until then, sadly, I cannot use your app. I love your app so, in the mean time, I am very sad and most of my ideas go unrecorded and the world stops getting better. Help me make the world a better place. Thanks Evernote!

I think what you are talking about here is the ability to sync to a computer (or other device) without using the cloud. This is something that Evernote does not do, and I doubt it ever will, because it is structured almost entirely around the cloud service.

There are a couple services with wi-fi sync and encryption available on iOS. You may want to consider these instead when you have some sensitive data to record.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=1605

Archived