Evernote Crashes when taking pictures into notes IOS

I am having problems with my Evernote app closing every time I want to take a picture into a note.  I have to reopen the app and try again, sometimes on the 2nd or 3rd try the picture will actually stay in the note after the app crash but most of the time it won't.

I have tried removing app, restarting phone and reinstalling.  It did it with IOS 6; then I upgraded to IOS 7 - same issue.  Currently am running 7.0.4 and have this issue. I have an Iphone 16gb 4S. I have installed every update possible for the evernote app and continues to do this (running Evernote 7.3.0.307130) I have Evernote Premium if that makes a difference. This has been going on for 6 months; I'm fed up.

Love the app, but this needs to be fixed.  Help!

• 4 weeks later...

Pollywatt,

Have you tried completely quitting out of Evernote (double tapping the home button and swiping up on Evernote), and restarting the phone? 

If that doesn't work, have you tried uninstalling the application and re-installing it? (Just make sure you sync before uninstalling, you won't lose any data). 

If THAT doesn't work, contact support and submit a request, they might be able to help you out if the above troubleshooting steps don't work. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue, and for the at least 6 months. A fresh iOS or a fresh app version are not doing the job. Problem remains. Looking around the net and checking in this forum confirms it is a big issue. At least for us having an iPhone 4s.

Contact support you say? Isn't this forum supposed to support users? If not I'd be glad to find some direction. Please!

PS. This issue has made me skip using Evernote on my iPhone. And also the enormous load up time.

I'm having the same issue, and for the at least 6 months. A fresh iOS or a fresh app version are not doing the job. Problem remains. Looking around the net and checking in this forum confirms it is a big issue. At least for us having an iPhone 4s.

Contact support you say? Isn't this forum supposed to support users? If not I'd be glad to find some direction. Please!

PS. This issue has made me skip using Evernote on my iPhone. And also the enormous load up time.

This is a user forum. While users do have a lot of insight, there are many issues that require the attention of Evernote staff, in which case filing a support ticket is the way to go.

Personally I do not experience crashes or slow load times with Evernote on my iPhone 4s. I think the last time I had regular crashes was around the time of the Evernote 7.0 update last fall.

Given that very few users are experiencing your issue, it is all the more reason toget Evernote directly involved,

• 1 month later...

I had this same problem until I saw a forum entry that said reducing the photo resolution from Large would fix the problem. You change it by:

Settings (the gear icon) -> General -> Camera -> Image Size

It crashed on "Large" and was successful on "Medium"

• 1 month later...

This still hasn't been solved. Even switching to Medium doesn't help.

iPhone 5s, everything up to date.

Any chance that this is going to be solved?

Filing a ticket through the support site is a good way to help Evernote fix this. I think there are probably a variety of bugs and contextual/environmental/user idiosyncrasies, not a single bug, underlying this problem. Submitting a support ticket will allow Evernote to potentially collect helpful information from you. 

How much free space do you have on your device? Settings>General>Usage?

How much free space do you have on your device? Settings>General>Usage?

More than enough, 25 GB

DaanAlb: Can you let me know which version you're running? You can check the version by navigating to the settings and scrolling to the bottom.

Can you also tell me whether you're seeing this on in Document Camera mode or Photo mode?

DaanAlb: Can you let me know which version you're running? You can check the version by navigating to the settings and scrolling to the bottom.

Can you also tell me whether you're seeing this on in Document Camera mode or Photo mode?

It's Evernote 7.4.1.310226. The photo mode.

I even removed the app and reinstalled it, but that didn't work either.

I must admit that I also opened a ticket, but their advice hasn't helped so far. Seems like a bug to me...

It's Evernote 7.4.1.310226. The photo mode.

I even removed the app and reinstalled it, but that didn't work either.

I must admit that I also opened a ticket, but their advice hasn't helped so far. Seems like a bug to me...

We're aware of issues like this and we've been working to get them resolved, but we haven't been able to reproduce them. We did make a change that's coming in 7.4.2 aimed at fixing some issues, so hopefully that'll help you.

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem as previous post.

Evernote 7.4.2.310718 running on iPad Mini under iOS ver. 7.1.1 (11D201).

Launched Evernote --> Camera --> BUSINESS CARD

Pressed shutter button --> black screen --> CRASH

Re-launching the app did not help; crashed every attempt.

Finally shut down iPad Mini and restarted. That fixed problem, but only for first business card. Subsequent cards --> CRASH.

Hope you can fix this problem soon...

-- D.D.

I had the same problem. I was having to photograph images and attach them separately rather than using the document camera inside the note. Then other apps started getting jerky, web pages crashing, etc. Suspecting I was running out of memory, I just restarted the iPad. Problem solved.

I also am having the same problem on my 4S.  When I use the evernote doc photo taker, my phone crashes more than 90% of the time.  So much so that in the last week I've paid for the CamScanner app which integrates with Evernote.  All of my software is up to date and I've deleted and reinstalled evernote on my phone with no change in success rate.  Tonight I'll restore my iphone and report back.

This happens all the time for me and I have tried all suggestions in this forum over a long period of time. I can now usually take a picture in photo mode rather than document mode. Document mode still produces the crash.

I opened a ticket but understandably they closed it probably because we are not premium members. I certainly can reproduce the issue anytime tho for troubleshooting.

I've been having this problem for at least a year.  I just broke down and paid for a scanner app today.  

Amazingly the scanner app prompted me that I had too many apps running using up too much virtual memory.  It warned me that it would crash if I tried to take any pictures.  I tried anyway and it crashed.  I then tried Evernote and it crashed too.

After closing out all of my other apps I tried the scanner app and evernote again, and they both worked.  I'm going to keep testing this, but closing out apps to free up more memory for Evernote seems to do the trick.

Hopefully this works so that I don't have to take the added step of uploading docs/images from the scanner app as pdf's into Evernote.

Evernote folks are aware that this is a persistent issue. I've sent some personal rants their way myself, as i have found this immensely frustrating. They are working very hard to fix this so keep your eyes peeled for updates coming down the pipes. 

Is this a problem among all phones or are some more impacted than others?  I've since paid for a scanner app (scanner pro) which automatically syncs with evernote so it's a suitable work around, but when the evernote doc and post it note photos were working they did a really great job.

I don't know whether it plagues all phones or not. It certainly plagues the two iPhone 4s phones in my house. I imagine it is probably worse on older phones, but I suspect any fix for an older phone would help with newer phones, especially if it is a memory management issue. 

Evernote folks are aware that this is a persistent issue. I've sent some personal rants their way myself, as i have found this immensely frustrating. They are working very hard to fix this so keep your eyes peeled for updates coming down the pipes.

This is good to know, thank you!

I ran into the same crash using version 7.4.2.310718 on my iPhone 4S.  I did the following and it seemed to help - no more crashes after creating a few new notes and taking several document photos, even with multiple photos attached to the same note.

Settings > Support > Clear Cache

Settings > General > Camera > Deselect Save Snapsnots (a copy of your document scans won't go to your camera roll, but saving them there may be related to the crashing), set Image Size to Medium

Close the Evernote app by double-clicking the home button and swiping up

Reboot your phone

Settings > General > Camera > Deselect Save Snapsnots (a copy of your document scans won't go to your camera roll, but saving them there may be related to the crashing), set Image Size to Medium

Reboot your phone

This seems to be working for me too.  Don't know if it is a 'forever' solution, but thanks all the same.

Exactly the same symptoms here. Im on a 4s, and am a heavy user of docs and photo format notes. I am unable to input a photo or a doc on the iphone version of evernote,

Even after a reset, then tried a restore and im all up to date.

Just a hunch, but it seems the crash happens when evernote tries to dump a backup version of the image into your system photos.

It lets you take the image but there is a slight delay in confirmed 'tick' symbol feedback. Never able to get to the next photo either.

could it be the docs setting? am i on beta and dont know it, any tips would be great.

Hope that helps as I am really missing my 4s mobile device and the ability to input to evernote. Without this function, evernote is simply useless. But im not bagging it, i still love it... xx

Exactly the same symptoms here. Im on a 4s, and am a heavy user of docs and photo format notes. I am unable to input a photo or a doc on the iphone version of evernote,

Even after a reset, then tried a restore and im all up to date.

Just a hunch, but it seems the crash happens when evernote tries to dump a backup version of the image into your system photos.

It lets you take the image but there is a slight delay in confirmed 'tick' symbol feedback. Never able to get to the next photo either.

could it be the docs setting? am i on beta and dont know it, any tips would be great.

Hope that helps as I am really missing my 4s mobile device and the ability to input to evernote. Without this function, evernote is simply useless. But im not bagging it, i still love it... xx

Yes, I think it very well could be crashing when it goes to save the photo to your photo library/camera roll.  That's why going to Settings > General > Camera > and turning off the option to save snapshots might be a valid workaround for this issue.  I for one don't really need a copy of the document photo if all I want to do is save that photo to a note in Evernote.

Thanks Derick!  Your solution fixed my problem.  Amazing that Evernote gets all this free technical support provided by their users.  They should pay you for your help from the zillions they are making with this buggy app.  Anyhow, it worked.

• Ex Employees

Our developers are working for a workaround for this issue that will hopefully be released in our next update, but updating your phone to iPhone 5 or higher would be the best solution.

Our product team is working on implementing some changes that should help with some of the Document Camera crashing. We are hoping to have these changes included in upcoming updates.

Our developers are working for a workaround for this issue that will hopefully be released in our next update, but updating your phone to iPhone 5 or higher would be the best solution.

Our product team is working on implementing some changes that should help with some of the Document Camera crashing. We are hoping to have these changes included in upcoming updates.

You cannot seriously be suggesting "upgrade to iphone5" as the solution for users of your app !!?? Are you offering to pay the outstanding contract term ?

I ran into the same crash using version 7.4.2.310718 on my iPhone 4S.  I did the following and it seemed to help - no more crashes after creating a few new notes and taking several document photos, even with multiple photos attached to the same note.

Reboot your phone

This worked - iPhone 4s

...updating your phone to iPhone 5 or higher would be the best solution....

You've GOT to be kidding!!

Well... as much as I also find this frustrating as a 4S owner, it honestly is the best solution. That doesn't mean it is the only solution. 

(That being said, Evernote doing more to make this more reliable on the 4S is arguably another "best" solution, but I'm not sure if there is much more that could be done... hardware/software limitations and all that stuff I don't have knowledge of)

You're correct, it's not the only solution, and it's certainly not the "best answer"--we've removed that as the "best answer" here. There are additional workarounds in the thread above, and our latest release does fix several issues that were causing crashes, including the camera. If you are still seeing problems, please let our support staff know so that we can follow up with a request for logs from your device. Even better, if you run into a crash, producing the log immediately prior to beginning a support request will help ensure that the source of the error is preserved and we're able to appropriately investigate. Steps to reproduce are also welcome.

There will always be limitations to devices that can cause problems, and it appears that the 4S (as described by Panthael above) may have some crashes related to a memory issue, and clearing out active apps a possible workaround. We're actively working on this issue--the 4S is still fully supported, including Evernote's camera options, and my apologies on a new device as a suggested workaround.

Again, if you are still running into crashes after the latest update we'll want to hear from you. Thanks!

Filing a ticket through the support site is a good way to help Evernote fix this. I think there are probably a variety of bugs and contextual/environmental/user idiosyncrasies, not a single bug, underlying this problem. Submitting a support ticket will allow Evernote to potentially collect helpful information from you. 

Over the last year I have filed numerous tickets... especially when my app has repeatedly crashed when trying to use the document camera... and have not heard back once on exactly the same subject. While in most cases, theoretically, one should hear back from the support staff, sadly, it is not the case. Thus people turn to the forum, because more often than not, Evernote staff take notice... as is the case with the recent disappearance then reinstatement of the shared (public) notebook feature. This seems to be a common occurrence and widespread. I've seen this topic before, and didn't bother to waste my time... thinking it would get sorted out at some point... but it is already post iOS 8, and we're experiencing the same issue. In this case, I say to heck with the "proper" protocol, and let people complain a little, as we all have on various issues. I'm adding my 5 cents here... and it may just help a teeny bit more. By the way, I am a premium user... not that I've expected that to help in filing a ticket and getting a response... there are still many of us.

Still loving Evernote... still as positive as ever... I'm all for workarounds and waiting... just saying... this issue is quite a pain in the butt... especially being one of the features that I would turn to a lot more than I do if it didn't crash the app repeatedly. Not very fast or convenient. It would simply be better to shoot a photo from the iOS camera or a 3rd party scanning app. I am holding out for this getting sorted out.

Thanks Derick!  Your solution fixed my problem.  Amazing that Evernote gets all this free technical support provided by their users.  They should pay you for your help from the zillions they are making with this buggy app.  Anyhow, it worked.

I got excited for a moment there... since I would actually prefer not to save photos to my camera roll... or whatever it is now called in iOS8... still a no-go for me. Bummer.

Reboot your phone

This worked - iPhone 4s

Although this worked for me... I still need to shoot the document photo at "actual size", because with what I'm using this feature for, I need to be able to reference the material through the OCR feature. After a number of crashes, I was able to get one shot of the "actual size"... and this was the only size that I could search for key words once the image was indexed. Large and medium didn't show up for me. Not all documents and images can be sent through the ScanSnap, although I'd love to get my hands on one of those... and since we're talking about iOS here, obviously, in many situations, as small as the ScanSnap is, an iPhone would be nice to do the job. I'm going to get me one of those new iPhone 6s as soon as I can... just got the latest iPad, so that will have to wait :-( Here in Brazil we pay more than double the price for iStuff than it costs in the US and elsewhere... so I'm stuck with my 4S for a little longer. Haha, in this case, I do think money tends to solve all (or most) of our tech problems. 

In this case, I say to heck with the "proper" protocol, and let people complain a little, as we all have on various issues. I'm adding my 5 cents here... and it may just help a teeny bit more. By the way, I am a premium user... not that I've expected that to help in filing a ticket and getting a response... there are still many of us.

t.

I absolutely agree, it wasn't my intention at all to suggest that people stop complaining. You can check out my own rant on this very issue in the iOS beta forums.

Thanks Scott,

I saw that... and I know we are in the same boat then... unless you've upgraded your iPhone already ;-)

EDIT: P.S. Sorry... that was mainly to nudge Evernote a little more. Not so much to point it out to you. 

What's the status on this?  As of September 29, 2014, it's still crashing with the same problems reported here (via free feedback from your customers) on February 13, 2014.

That's over six months to fix a software bug causing crashes on iphone 4S when trying to take a photo using the Evernote application.

Other than "purchase a new phone", is there any relevant, meaningful updates as to when this problem will be solved?

Same problem here.   iPhone 4S, IOS 8.0.2, Evernote 7.5.1.311939

New note or edit an existing one - add a photo, choose camera, take photo, black screen and app crashes. Pretty major issue in my opinion.

Reboot your phone

Seems to be working for me so far 

Running 7.5.1 on an iPhone 4S

Previously I could shoot no more than one document before crashing.  Followed the steps above and just shot a 4-page and a 2-page doc with no crash.  Crossing my fingers.

iPad app won't even switch to camera mode

Reboot your phone

This seems to be working for me too

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reboot your phone

Thanks, Derick! This is great!

Koen

• 1 month later...

Just to add more colour. I have the same issue as everyone else on iOS latest production version.

I did however notice when document scanning the crash is almost reproducible at will on a full legal letter. Smaller scans work better. Sounds like allocation problem to me.

I am having the same problem. iPhone 4s. Evernote 7.7.2.315443.

I've resorted to using other apps to capture receipts and business cards because they seem to work flawlessly (Shoeboxed, FullContact.  I don't know why they've been able to solve this problem but Evernote has not. Very frustrating. I'm going to take a look at this: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rocketbook-cloud-integrated-microwavable-notebook

Unimpressive that its over a year since this thread started and there's obviously a huge number of people suffering the same problem, including me. iPhone 6, latest everything, just signed up to premium and the iOS app crashes every time I try to take a photograph. Why aren't Evernote posting a proper solution here, instead of the user workaround everyone seems to be quoting! 

in my settings I can't find a "support" tab and I also can't find a camera setting where I could turn off the snap shot mode. I am running a 4s 7.1.2. (11D257)

Evernote always crashes on automatic camera mode!!

I opened a support ticket, they asked me (over three days) to send two types of logs (one from iOS, one from Evernote). It's been days and I have not seen any reply. All i've seen is a duplicate request to send the same logs again.  Has anyone else experienced such bad service with support?   I am a premium subscriber (and have been for years) and have used Evernote since 2009.  This is probably the first time i've had to use support and I have to say I am very unimpressed.

So EN gets rid of the HELLO app and now plain EN keeps crashing when I try to take the business card and its been happening since February for some.  Come on EN...what's up!  Such an awesome app that is sucking BIG time!

• Level 5

Hi all,

I apologize for continued crashing issues with the new camera released in version 7.7 in early April of this year.

Since releasing the new camera modes, we have been trying to isolate the camera crashing issues. In particular, the iPhone 6 Plus appears to be the most prone to camera crashing when using auto capture mode. We identified and fixed several of the top issues and crashes in the 7.7.4 release last week, and we have more coming in the 7.7.6 release which we are planning to submit to Apple early next week.

We have found that rebooting the device often alleviates the issues for many users. We are not satisfied with that as a solution (and don't expect you to be either), so we will continue working to resolve camera crashes.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I apologize for continued crashing issues with the new camera released in version 7.7 in early April of this year.

Since releasing the new camera modes, we have been trying to isolate the camera crashing issues. In particular, the iPhone 6 Plus appears to be the most prone to camera crashing when using auto capture mode. We identified and fixed several of the top issues and crashes in the 7.7.4 release last week, and we have more coming in the 7.7.6 release which we are planning to submit to Apple early next week.

We have found that rebooting the device often alleviates the issues for many users. We are not satisfied with that as a solution (and don't expect you to be either), so we will continue working to resolve camera crashes.

Thanks

Since updating to the latest release I am NOW experiencing the crashing issue when taking pictures.  I'm using an iPhone 6.  This is killing me :/

On iPhone 6 This crashes every time I try to take a picture, severely limiting Evernotes usefulness to me.

Can anyone translate the workaround into something that might work on i6? Ie. Settings -> Support does not exist.

I saw crashes consistently when using the Camera on my iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4 (12F70), Evernote 7.7.5.315515. The work around instructions above have thus far "fixed" the problem.

Also having this issue with the iOS app. I tried using to scan business cards using my iphone at my last trade show. I have not kept a log of the crash rate but the probability of a crash is high enough for a safe bet. 

Keep it up devs. I'm rooting for you. Love this feature. The older sales guys think I'm some kind of sorcerer.  B)

____

iPhone 6 Plus - iOS 8.3 - Evernote for Windows 7 - ScanSnap Evernote Edition - Evernote 7.7.5.315515

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

iPhone 6+  Latest everything.  Crashes most (but not all) of the time.  I disabled saving to camera roll (or whatever it's called now) and reset phone.  Refuse to set image size to medium or small as I am a Premium user and want OCR to function.  This issue appears to be over a year old now Evernote!

This is the respons from the Evernote helpdesk and i'm wondering why they don not publish this to you all...

I can see from your Activity Log you're using an iPhone 4S.

The iPhone 4S has 512MB of internal memory, compared to the iPhone 5 and 5S which have at least 1GB. Due to this limited (built in) memory, it is causing the iPhone 4S to continue to crash. The product development team has done everything they can to resolve this issue but the iPhone 4S model is still restricted. I suggest working around the issue by taking a picture and importing it to Evernote. Alternatively, you may need to close out all background applications and try and use the camera.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions.

Regards,

Topher H.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an iPhone 6-plus. I've got 48 GBs of memory free. I've had a similar crashing problem for about 6 months now. In my case nearly every time I try to take a picture of a of full size page 8.5 X 11, after the image appears Evernote crashes while processing the document. However in my case Evernote has never crashed if I have auto document processing off. So I've discovered a work around which has never failed for me. I turn off auto document processing, take the picture by hand (I have to click the shutter just like my camera). Then when I save the document I choose document or color document and Evernote does the processing that I've so come to appreciate. It's not as slick as the auto mode, but so far it doesn't crash when I do it that way.

Settings > General > Camera > Deselect Save Snapsnots (a copy of your document scans won't go to your camera roll, but saving them there may be related to the crashing)

This worked for me. iPhone 6 plus on IOS 8.

same Problem on my iPhone 4s (IOS 8.4) with Evernote 7.7.9.31615.

After taking a Photo Evernote closes. The photo isn´t available in Evernote.

The tips posted here help only for an amount of time, then the Problems start again.

Reboot your phone

Maybe less features could help. On my old iPhone 4 the older versions of Evernote always worked without problems for me...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Issue still occurring iOS9 Evernote 7.9.2.318622 iPhone 6+. Can't believe this is still happening after this was reported 2 years ago in multiple threads. 

This is why evernote execs are departing in droves and the company is exhibit 1 in unicorns that failed to meet expectations. No IPO on the horizon for this bug-ridden elephant.

Time to find a new app to help me remember everything.

• 2 months later...
On 8/6/2015 at 0:51 PM, AschU said:

Reboot your phone

Thank you, totally worked for me!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really wish they would have fixed this problem.  I see this has been going on for years, so I'm looking for a new solution.  Anyone have any suggestions on a good app to use for this need to photograph things and keep track of them?

• 8 months later...

Just tried to add a picture (already taken) from my photos to a note on my iPhone 7 Plus, with iOS 11. EN Crashed. I tried to clear cache, change settings, and reboot. EN Still crashes.

Looks like this has been an ongoing issue.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, WallyJ said:

Just tried to add a picture (already taken) from my photos to a note on my iPhone 7 Plus, with iOS 11. EN Crashed. I tried to clear cache, change settings, and reboot. EN Still crashes.

Looks like this has been an ongoing issue.

Not having a problem with my iPad Pro; either new pictures or existing photos.

You might try adjusting some of the camera settings like photo size, saving to the photo app, ...

Archived