So, since it's 2014 and Evernote iOS STILL doesn't have nested tags... What's the best workaround?

I'm literally shaking my head.... How hard does it have to be to add this feature?

It's probably the only thing I can complain about on evernote and it seems so simple.

I WANT to use the secret weapon method and really need to be able to see the tags as they are nested, but since that's not possible, anybody have any good workarounds??

I'm literally shaking my head.... How hard does it have to be to add this feature?

Quite possibly not hard at all. From the beginning Evernote has been pretty clear that they are not big on hierarchical systems of organization. I suspect this is far less a question of lack of technical know how (they seem awfully smart) and for more of one of philosophical disinclination.

....I don't know what you mean.

Why do all of the other platforms have them, then??

I'm not talking about having each parent tag show all its baby tags, which the app Taggy can do if you need it, but simply showing how you organize them.

It just doesn't make sense to have it available on my desktop and web client but not my phone.

Maybe inclination was high when developing the other platform updates, but they just said forget it when they got to the iPhone.

What ever the case is, it's cramping my style, and I don't see how the addition of this feature (to bring it up to par with the other platforms) would cramp anyone else's.

Sorry, I thought you meant true nested tags. The nested tags as they exist on some platforms are for visual organization more than anything. There is no true inheritance. As to why iOS doesn't have them, well, each platform has their own development team. They aim for feature parity but may each take different paths.

• Level 5

While I sometimes rely on tag hierarchy on the desktop to logically group things, somehow I don't find I miss this on the ios side.

I do use a modified TSW system.

And in fact, it's use of prefix symbols sort of gets you there.

Any context is going to show as a reduced set to select from as soon as you type an @

It doesn't matter here if they're all grouped under a .Where tag or not.  They still come up the same as soon as you start typing the tag.

Likewise, I can logically group all the Projects with a .Project prefix.  So as soon as I type: .P all the project tags come up for selecting from.

Say:

.Project.Car

.Project.Evernote.Organizing

.Project.Goals

Or lists of things:

.Lists.Ideas

.Lists.checklists

.Lists.Groceries

.Lists.gift.giving

.Lists.gift.wishlist

For tidiness you can group them under .Projects and .Lists on the desktop, but they're just as grouped when you start typing them in a search field.

The prefix formatting is key to that though.

And it's pretty much the same on the desktop.  I don't go browsing through 420 nested tags looking for the one I want.  I just start typing and pick from the short list of results.  It's more important that they're textually grouped than tag hierarchically grouped.

Then you just need to remember the nomenclature of prefixes, everything else falls into place.

• Level 5

Oh, and you're likely to get frustrated trying to combine tags on the fly for unions of contexts and priorities.

I really rely heavily on saved searches to bring up the most commonly used combinations.

like:

stack:Tasks tag:"1- Now" tag:@Work todo:false

which translated is:

Look in the stack of notebooks (Actions and Inbox) called Tasks, with the tag priority "1- Now" and the context tag "@Work" and show notes with at least one unchecked todo checkbox.

I'll stop there because I can get organizationally giddy with all the powerful combinations of saved searches that can mine out nifty combinations of things.

Oh, and you're likely to get frustrated trying to combine tags on the fly for unions of contexts and priorities.

I really rely heavily on saved searches to bring up the most commonly used combinations.

like:

which translated is:

Look in the stack of notebooks (Actions and Inbox) called Tasks, with the tag priority "1- Now" and the context tag "@Work" and show notes with at least one unchecked todo checkbox.

I'll stop there because I can get organizationally giddy with all the powerful combinations of saved searches that can mine out nifty combinations of things.

Thanks. I'm going to try and get some saved searches up since they do seem like they'd help. 

like:

which translated is:

You needn't stop there though! haha I'm sure everyone would be very interested in your saved searches. Also, that prefix way of sorting things may be a little painful to change but looks well worth it.

• Level 5
  • 2 months later...

Quite possibly not hard at all. From the beginning Evernote has been pretty clear that they are not big on hierarchical systems of organization. I suspect this is far less a question of lack of technical know how (they seem awfully smart) and for more of one of philosophical disinclination.

Was looking for this same info tonight. I've read 4 different threads on this topic and the only thing I've learned is that "Group: Evernote Evangelist" next to someone's name means "quick to make excuses for Evernote developers." What a worthless function the "evangelists" play on these boards.

Was looking for this same info tonight. 

Thank you for your kind words. Support is always appreciated.  ;)

Best of luck. 

Was looking for this same info tonight. I've read 4 different threads on this topic and the only thing I've learned is that "Group: Evernote Evangelist" next to someone's name means "quick to make excuses for Evernote developers." What a worthless function the "evangelists" play on these boards.

We're pretty much the worst. 

In the meantime, thanks for your immensely helpful and relevant contribution to this thread. I am sure your post here has benefitted your fellow users far more than any of us "worthless evangelists" ever have. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

It's probably the only thing I can complain about on evernote and it seems so simple.

I WANT to use the secret weapon method and really need to be able to see the tags as they are nested, but since that's not possible, anybody have any good workarounds??

I feel the same and have posted elsewhere about this. But hey, surely one more can't hurt...

I use thesecretweapon.org system too. Ironically, it's been created for, and thoroughly promotes the Evernote Mac and PC apps. The two major functions it relies upon are

1. Being able to create AND view nested tags

2. A 'search by tags' option in the note list area

yet these are absent on any platform other than Mac app and Windows app. Nope, nothing on the new web app either.

I thought one of the main selling points of EN was to give you the same access to all your information everywhere.

Hopefully then, there will soon be some joined up thinking across the different OS dev departments and they will realise that, if you are making a superb app on one OS you probably want to make it across all of them.

I can see how screen size on an iPhone could be a problem but on an iPad? We're now in 2015!! As chocoremedy rightly asks.....how hard can it be?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
On February 11, 2014 at 1:46 PM, chocoremedy said:

anybody have any good workarounds

Personally, I don't find this to be a serious problem

When I enter a tag for a note, I get a short drop-down list of tags to select from
Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 12.15.54 PM.png

I make sure this list is short by applying the same prefix to related tags
For example, all my project tags begin wiht Project

To keep the tag names short, I use symbols.
For example, all my Who tags begin with ?
                      all my Where tags begin with @

I rarely use the entire tag list, but to identify the parent tags, I add emoji
For example  ? Who?    @ Where?
the space after the symbol ensures the parent appears at the top of the tag group

Archived