Adding a “CLICKABLE” url to a note?!

sliver108

Idea

I have been spending a lot of time converting url’s to clickable url’s in Evernote. This happens whenever I share a note on my Android tablet or cell phone. For some reason Evernote doesn’t turn the text into a link so I have to manually do it on my Evernote Win 7 software. I share a lot rss feed url’s from my tablet and cell phone so it would be nice to find an easier way. I love Evernote but this is a little time consuming.

21 replies to this idea

So does either one of you know lol?

I trust you've read through the thread, since you're the one who started it.  I think Wordsgood & my posts are pretty clear.  They may be considered a bit of hijacking...but really not so much, since Wordsgood is interested in the same topic & I simply informed him/her how to follow the thread w/o having to post a non-contributing post.  I think it's safe to assume if either of us had an answer to your question, we would have posted it. 

Just checking....it is kind of silly that it is so hard. I am not sure why there isn't a choice to save a link as a bookmark like on the Chrome extension. 

Had the same issue (creating Evernote Hyperlinks from Android) - found this more entertaining than directly helpful. 

Best work around I found is open Evernote URL through the Google Chrome Browser app. 

Enable 'request desktop site' in the settings

tempFileForShare_2016-09-23-15-02-52.jpg

• Level 5*

New to EverNote, but appreciate the ability to "Share" a website to the App as a note to view later as a repository of ideas. Currently using Wunderlist for Task related work which works excellent and saves the URL link as an actual Link either on the Android App or in Windows 7 App when 'shared' on either Platform. But I too noticed recently the address in the EverNote on the Windows 7 App is NOT a URL link. I can manually convert it to a URL on the PC, but why should I have to? It is however a URL link on the Android EnerNote App I used to 'share' from but the whole purpose of saving it for later is to view it on the PC. This business of using another App (WebClip) just adds another step which shouldn't be necessary from the way Wunderlist integrates URL's. So I thought I was doing something wrong here but evidently not. Disappointing as I was hoping to keep "Notes" and "Tasks" on separate Apps.

? The main complaint in this thread is that the Android clipper 'just' used to put a URL in a note if it was clipped from the phone.  We had to go back and open that note,  click the URL,  navigate to the main page and re-clip it to get the full content into the note.  There's no suggestion AFAICS that the URL is faulty in some way.  I'm currently using a Beta that goes the whole way and clips the content as well as the URL,  and again the links works for me.  I don't know if this full clipping service has made it to production yet,  but if not,  it's on the way.  I didn;t understand your explanation of invalid links to pages - can you give us some examples of what you're seeing?

New to EverNote, but appreciate the ability to "Share" a website to the App as a note to view later as a repository of ideas. Currently using Wunderlist for Task related work which works excellent and saves the URL link as an actual Link either on the Android App or in Windows 7 App when 'shared' on either Platform. But I too noticed recently the address in the EverNote on the Windows 7 App is NOT a URL link. I can manually convert it to a URL on the PC, but why should I have to? It is however a URL link on the Android EnerNote App I used to 'share' from but the whole purpose of saving it for later is to view it on the PC. This business of using another App (WebClip) just adds another step which shouldn't be necessary from the way Wunderlist integrates URL's. So I thought I was doing something wrong here but evidently not. Disappointing as I was hoping to keep "Notes" and "Tasks" on separate Apps.

• Level 5*

I'm using the latest beta for Android and this seems to have been fixed - clipping an item gets the actual content and a URL,  or a clickable link - whatever's selected.  Not sure when or whether that has hit production versions,  but its worth checking every so often...

Mine is working fine now. Though I do still have to exit and re-enter any notes I've added links to so they will appear as clickable ones. (On Android.) That's a bit of a PITA, nut not a big one. :)

If you don't mind posting your script, other users might find it very useful. :)

I tried the EverClip method and it seems to work well for creating a clickable link in Evernote, even though it takes an extra click. It took me a while to figure out how to use it. It works similar to the Evernote Web Clipper extension on Chrome. So far, 'OK Google' is still working for me (see comments on Everclip app page). I am using a Galaxy S3 Android 4.3.

I also wrote an AutoHotkey macro to use in Evernote itself (on my desktop), creating a clickable link from the text of the URL, and then going to that link.

It is strange that Evernote doesn't include this feature, since it is such a useful program otherwise.

I tried the EverClip method and it seems to work well for creating a clickable link in Evernote, even though it takes an extra click.  It took me a while to figure out how to use it.  It works similar to the Evernote Web Clipper extension on Chrome.  So far, 'OK Google' is still working for me (see comments on Everclip app page).  I am using a Galaxy S3 Android 4.3.

I also wrote an AutoHotkey macro to use in Evernote itself (on my desktop), creating a clickable link from the text of the URL, and then going to that link.

It is strange that Evernote doesn't include this feature, since it is such a useful program otherwise.

So I tried the Web Clipper method and it does indeed provide a clickable link. Problem though, I don't seem able to title (with one of my choosing) or tag my notes at the same time. I have to hop over to my EN database to do that. Is it just me?

I am using EverClip (Web Clipper) from noinnion on my Android tablet and it doesn't seem to have that problem. I get a title, a clickable link, and a picture. 

I have this too. If I use Chrome I can save links as a 'bookmark' with images but the Android app just puts the url in the main text. I want to use Evernote to collect weblinks that interest me but this puts me off

OK I have found a solution and I feel pretty silly for not trying this in the first place. Basically just use "Everclip". Share the particular page/url using "Everclip", not Evernote. Don't worry about the "preview" area unless you want to, just save the note. When it syncs with Evernote on your laptop or desktop just click the note and the url will be on the top of the note. Easy, done! I can't believe I didn't use this earlier, duh.

Thank you! Will be trying this in a moment. :)

I have this too. If I use Chrome I can save links as a 'bookmark' with images but the Android app just puts the url in the main text. I want to use Evernote to collect weblinks that interest me but this puts me off

OK I have found a solution and I feel pretty silly for not trying this in the first place. Basically just use "Everclip". Share the particular page/url using "Everclip", not Evernote. Don't worry about the "preview" area unless you want to, just save the note. When it syncs with Evernote on your laptop or desktop just click the note and the url will be on the top of the note. Easy, done! I can't believe I didn't use this earlier, duh. 

So does either one of you know lol?

I trust you've read through the thread, since you're the one who started it.  I think Wordsgood & my posts are pretty clear.  They may be considered a bit of hijacking...but really not so much, since Wordsgood is interested in the same topic & I simply informed him/her how to follow the thread w/o having to post a non-contributing post.  I think it's safe to assume if either of us had an answer to your question, we would have posted it. 

Hi there. Volunteer user forum here - Evernote staffers do read posts, but if you want an 'official' response you'll need to submit a Support Request (see below).

As to your query, I'm not sure you can create a clickable link to a URL in a note in Android. If you're on a specific page you can send that page address to a note, and that note could be in a shared notebook. But how exactly are you trying to share URLs?

You might want to look into IFTTT which can create Evernote notes as the result of some input, or consider using note set-up by email - ie emailing note content to your Evernote email address with the subject line action @<notebook> which could add it to your shared notebook(s).

Oh ok thanks. I am so used to reps scanning the forums.

I save a lot of articles that show up on my rss news feeds for reference. Then when I open them on my desktop I need to be able to click it. As of right now I have to convert it to a hyperlink, to make it clickable. When I save a URL from my chrome browser I have the option to save it many ways. I use the "bookmark" one a lot because it is clickable and gives me a snippet. The Evernote android app does not give you a choice and I find that odd. There must be a way to do the same thing in android as I do in chrome. Surely someone else is noticing this lol.

I quoted this merely because I want to follow this thread.

See I am not the only one. So there is no workaround for this?

Hi there.  Volunteer user forum here - Evernote staffers do read posts,  but if you want an 'official' response you'll need to submit a Support Request (see below).

As to your query,  I'm not sure you can create a clickable link to a URL in a note in Android.  If you're on a specific page you can send that page address to a note,  and that note could be in a shared notebook.  But how exactly are you trying to share URLs?

You might want to look into IFTTT which can create Evernote notes as the result of some input,  or consider using note set-up by email - ie emailing note content to your Evernote email address with the subject line action @<notebook> which could add it to your shared notebook(s).

Oh ok thanks. I am so used to reps scanning the forums. 

I save a lot of articles that show up on my rss news feeds for reference. Then when I open them on my desktop I need to be able to click it. As of right now I have to convert it to a hyperlink, to make it clickable. When I save a URL from my chrome browser I have the option to save it many ways. I use the "bookmark" one a lot because it is clickable and gives me a snippet. The Evernote android app does not give you a choice and I find that odd. There must be a way to do the same thing in android as I do in chrome. Surely someone else is noticing this lol.

• Level 5*

Hi there.  Volunteer user forum here - Evernote staffers do read posts,  but if you want an 'official' response you'll need to submit a Support Request (see below).

As to your query,  I'm not sure you can create a clickable link to a URL in a note in Android.  If you're on a specific page you can send that page address to a note,  and that note could be in a shared notebook.  But how exactly are you trying to share URLs?

You might want to look into IFTTT which can create Evernote notes as the result of some input,  or consider using note set-up by email - ie emailing note content to your Evernote email address with the subject line action @<notebook> which could add it to your shared notebook(s).

Archived