Does "Evernote Free Account" Include Offline Access?

I just downloaded Evernote and I'm super confused by the advertising for the Premium Plan. As far as I can tell, I can use Evernote on iOS without an internet connection, so what's all this about having to have Premium in order to use the app offline? Am I in a trial phase or something?

Thanks.

I just downloaded Evernote and I'm super confused by the advertising for the Premium Plan. As far as I can tell, I can use Evernote on iOS without an internet connection, so what's all this about having to have Premium in order to use the app offline? Am I in a trial phase or something?

Thanks.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39907-used-to-have-offline-access-to-notes-without-premium/

Hmm, sorry if I missed this, but what exactly would make my offline notes disappear? If I restarted my device? Or seriously just sporadically?

Another question, I just took a document photo and I'm able to search and find text within the photo. I thought that was also a premium feature...

Hmm, sorry if I missed this, but what exactly would make my offline notes disappear? If I restarted my device? Or seriously just sporadically?

Another question, I just took a document photo and I'm able to search and find text within the photo. I thought that was also a premium feature...

With a free account, your cached notes are simply that...cached.  So if the device needs to use the cache for something else, it will. 

OCR'ing of images has always been available for free users.  OCR'ing of PDFs is a premium feature.

• Level 5*

Ohhhh ok gotcha. And I guess I need to learn more about caching...

Caching happens automatically, but it's all about the lifetime of a note in the cache. If you're a premium user, and you designate a notebook as "offline", then the notebook is guaranteed to be available on your device once it's synced (subject to storage limitations). Otherwise, there's no guarantee -- a note recently accessed while online will likely be there, but it may not be.

• 1 year later...

I think this offline access has changed with the new plans. Now, we have losen the offline access in Basic Plan (Free). I think it will be a reason to say bye bye to evernote..

Did you even read this thread? Free accounts never did have offline notes. Please read the posts above.

I think this offline access has changed with the new plans. Now, we have losen the offline access in Basic Plan (Free). I think it will be a reason to say bye bye to evernote..

Did you even read this thread? Free accounts never did have offline notes. Please read the posts above.

Sure, Until now I have my notes in a cache in my mobile when I was offline..

Sure, Until now I have my notes in a cache in my mobile when I was offline..

Then it's unclear why you are saying offline access for iOS (which is what this thread is discussing) has been lost (?) for free accounts with the new plans. As discussed above, it never was part of the free plan.

To clarify, I was on a free (Basic) account for over a year, then went Premium for a few months and am temporarily back on free. During all this time, at least 95% percent of all my computing, including Evernote, had been done using my Samsung Galaxy 3 Android phone. I have had zero problems and here's why:

1) I always make sure there's enough memory, plus some to spare, so that I can access key notes I tend to use when not home and away from my Wi-Fi. I can also create new Notes when out and offline, I just make it a point to Sync UP to the Evernote servers as soon as I'm home again.

2) Your portable device's Cache Drive is temporary storage that will, over time, clear itself with or without any help on your part. A full copy of your Evernote (EN) Database is automatically stored on your desktop computer, assuming you have one.

No cloud based service can offer you permanent, free access on mobile devices. If you expect to take lots of notes while away from a reliable Wi-fi connection so you can Sync them UP to the EN Servers, and/or Sync them DOWN so view and edit them, you might want to consider investing in the new Plus Plan, which does offer some offline access and is cheaper than Premium. Below I've provided a link to the Knowledge Base (KB) articles that show a comparison chart for each plan, and one listing the price of each.

3) You need to understand how the Sync proccess works:

* Only what are called Headers, which include Note Titles and maybe a small snippet of the Note content, are Synced DOWN to your mobile device. When you open Evernote on your mobile, on or offline, it will show you a list of your Notes, or Notebooks, depending on the view you choose. The default is the list view of All Notes.

* When you are online (have Wi-fi), you can click on any Note and it will automatically call down the latest successfully Synced copy of that Note from the EN Servers. It's nearly instant so you likely won't even notice any lag time at all.

* The most advised rule of thumb to ensure you don't experience data loss is that as soon as you open Evernote on ANY device, mobile or not, is to immediately manually Sync DOWN from the EN Servers. The very last thing you should do before exiting EN on ANY device, is to manually Sync UP to the EN Servers.

*Note, this is in addition to your regular, scheduled Syncs.

Please check out the the 3rd post down, by JMichael, in the below linked Forum Thread. In it he gives a brief explanation of how to Sync across all your devices and provides a very handy graphic that visually demonstrates it:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/72206-duplicating-entries-into-evenote-in-two-computers/

KB Article - Comparison chart of Evernote Plans:

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23258452/

KB Article showing Plan Pricing:

https://evernote.com/pricing/

Hope this helps clear up any confusion. Cheers!

Archived