Strange behaviour when using on two iPads

vurtual

Hi, I have been using Penultimate on my full size iPad for a while. I recently ought an iPad mini, mainly for it's portability when note taking (weight is more appropriate for taking notes anywhere). However, it has exhibited some odd behavior. For example, when i appended some notes to an, admittedly largish notebook, when I closed and reopened the notebook, the last few sentences I had taken on the full size iPad had disappeared. I got round it by copying the new notes to the clipboard, clicking undo (which erased the new notes and brought up the old ones) and then pasting the new notes back. I am worried that I might miss something, or that there might be other odd behavior that causes problems which I don't detect until it's too late to do anything about. Can anyone on Evernote staff comment?

Hi, I have been using Penultimate on my full size iPad for a while. I recently ought an iPad mini, mainly for it's portability when note taking (weight is more appropriate for taking notes anywhere). However, it has exhibited some odd behavior. For example, when i appended some notes to an, admittedly largish notebook, when I closed and reopened the notebook, the last few sentences I had taken on the full size iPad had disappeared. I got round it by copying the new notes to the clipboard, clicking undo (which erased the new notes and brought up the old ones) and then pasting the new notes back. I am worried that I might miss something, or that there might be other odd behavior that causes problems which I don't detect until it's too late to do anything about. Can anyone on Evernote staff comment?

When switching between computers/devices, it's critical to understand how syncing works. This is not unique to EN but to any cloud app. Please read this post:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/20092-not-very-happy-right-now/?p=101095

Absolutely, but I have been online for the whole time I have taken these notes. The notes I added to the iPad mini are lost from the iPad Mini this morning. I had it online, with Penultimate open for quite some time, although I only took a few notes, so I see no real reason why they wouldn't have synced. I opened Penultimate on the full size iPad last night to see no notes from the mini, kept it open for no more than a few seconds, and that appears to have overwritten the data from the mini.

I have just done a little test. I took a line of notes on the mini, waited a few minutes, manually synced ENon the desktop, new notes were not there. Went to the "My Notebooks" page on PN (on the mini) saw the little network data wheel next to the wifi symbol spin for a bit;it stopped, so to me that suggests it has uploaded all it's data, manually synced the desktop, new notes were not there.

It appears I have a problem with the mini uploading data to EN servers!

ADDENDUM - notes created on the mini seem to be ok, for now anyway. It's just appending notes to large notes originally taken on the opriginal iPad.

• Level 5

Also be aware of leaving Evernote with a note open.

You open a note and make some changes.  Those sync to the cloud in the background.

Even if the note is still being edited without closed, if you sync the desktop client you'll generally find the edits have synced up to the cloud and down to your desktop client.

Now you leave Evernote on the ipad with the note still open.

Time passes and Evernote is suspended on the ipad.

You go to your second device and open the same note and make some additions.  Those sync to the cloud.

Now you go back to the first device and launch Evernote.

It opens with the previous note you left open, in a now older state than it is on the Evernote servers and the other ipad.

The flaw here is that in my experience Evernote doesn't detect well that the open note has been edited since Evernote was last running.  Especially if you're in a rush to get into a different note and close the foreground one mid sync.

Even if you make no changes to the note, you close the current note to go to another note.

That older state note gets saved over top of the more current state.

In appearance this looks like the last edit made on the other ipad disappeared.  Because the note was reverted.

In practice I find I avoid those situations if I've been editing a note, I close the note and return to the note list before leaving the Evernote client.

Also with spotty results, with newer versions of the client, that scenario results instead with a merged note with both versions and a line that says

-----------------------------------------------------

Conflicting modification on [date] [time]

-----------------------------------------------------

Archived