It all depends on your device. Some Android devices will not let you turn the shutter sound off, because in certain countries, electronic cameras are required to make noise, as a countermeasure against subway creepers using them to do up-skirt shots & such.

It all depends on your device. Some Android devices will not let you turn the shutter sound off, because in certain countries, electronic cameras are required to make noise, as a countermeasure against subway creepers using them to do up-skirt shots & such.

:-)) Nice one, but if my stock camera shutter sound is turned off, the problem is that EN camera doesn't have a "turn off" setting for sound. Am I wrong?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm using the Evernote Android version 7.9.4 and I noticed this shutter sound today, at work in a very quiet meeting. All of my Android sound settings are on silent (including my camera which does not make a shutter sound). I want to silence this Evernote shutter.

• Level 5*

In Evernote Android,  try going to Settings and Camera and make sure "Activate Multi-shot Camera" is ticked.  That's the only camera-related setting that I can see.  My camera doesn't make a shutter (or any other) sound with the sound turned way down,  but that  may be a hardware thing.  I can't see any other way in Evernote or in Android 6 of killing the shutter noise.  Have you tried talking to your phone service provider?

It appears thus:

Evernote > Settings > Camera >  "Activate Multi-shot Camera"  = enabled = Does not use the android camera, uses the Evernote version and HAS shutter sound. 

Evernote > Settings > Camera >  "Activate Multi-shot Camera"  = disabled = Uses the android camera and allows me to control the shutter sound. (yay)

So, this works for my needs. I don't mind using the Android camera only, and thus having control over the sound. 

Thanks for pointing me to that setting. 

• 4 weeks later...

Now,  I have stopped the sound.  But how can I scan the business cards that I have collected.  It only takes a picture.  

While scanning I incidentally put my finger on the speaker, it reduces the sound significantly. This is the best way forward unless someone solves this issue :)

• 2 years later...

Facing the same issue. When using the app camera which is required for text recognition in images there's no way to disable sound. It will sound the shutter even when phone is in complete silent mode which is a nuisance in quiet working environments.

If we change to using the phone's builtin camera you lose functionality.

If there's any Evernote person monitoring this thread please add to your dev backlog to change the Evernote app behavior to respect the sound settings of the device. Thanks.

Archived