Note and Notebook Sharing/Collaborating

Hello.
I use Evernote and loves it - very very useful app.
I will like to make one suggestion that to me will add a bit of bite to this already well done and developed app.
I would love to see a feature where one can link friend(s) to a particular Notebookor Note. This way, a notification/alerts can be sent to persons linked to that Notebook when new Notes are added or amendments made to an existing Note, or postit/anotations can be added to photos or to other contents in a Note
Notifications will pop up via the Evernote sytems tray icon on PC, and in the same way BBM, WhatsApp etc notifications show up on Mobile devices. This will allow Evernote users to share and collaborate on Notebooks/Notes making this wonderful app even more powerful.

My fiance and I are using Evernote to plan our wedding, it would be wonderful if we could share one Notebook, getting notifications/alerts/messages as we collaborate on wedding plans.

Ooo, I get excited just thinking about that being a possibility .

• Level 5*

Hello.

I use Evernote and loves it - very very useful app.

I will like to make one suggestion that to me will add a bit of bite to this already well done and developed app.

I would love to see a feature where one can link friend(s) to a particular Notebookor Note. This way, a notification/alerts can be sent to persons linked to that Notebook when new Notes are added or amendments made to an existing Note, or postit/anotations can be added to photos or to other contents in a Note

Notifications will pop up via the Evernote sytems tray icon on PC, and in the same way BBM, WhatsApp etc notifications show up on Mobile devices. This will allow Evernote users to share and collaborate on Notebooks/Notes making this wonderful app even more powerful.

My fiance and I are using Evernote to plan our wedding, it would be wonderful if we could share one Notebook, getting notifications/alerts/messages as we collaborate on wedding plans.

Ooo, I get excited just thinking about that being a possibility .

Hi. Welcome to the forums. If I understand you correctly, this feature already exists. Have you tried sharing notebooks?

As Gaz said, you can share notebooks with write permissions.  Free accounts can share notebooks but only one with write/modify permissions.  Premium accounts can share all notebooks with write/modify permissions.  However, AFAIK, there is no notification of changes.  But you can sort by creation or modification date.

• Level 5*

As Gaz said, you can share notebooks with write permissions.  Free accounts can share notebooks but only one with write/modify permissions.  Premium accounts can share all notebooks with write/modify permissions.  However, AFAIK, there is no notification of changes.  But you can sort by creation or modification date.

Grumpy, not Gaz :) Yes, there are notifications of anyone joining or modifying notebooks (when you share individually and give others the ability to modify notes in notebooks).

By the way, for limits on Evernote accounts, see http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169

However, AFAIK, there is no notification of changes.  But you can sort by creation or modification date.

Why did Evernote do that?  They implement note sharing WITHOUT notification when a shared note is changed.  Am I missing something?

• Level 5*

However, AFAIK, there is no notification of changes.  But you can sort by creation or modification date.

Why did Evernote do that?  They implement note sharing WITHOUT notification when a shared note is changed.  Am I missing something?

Sorry. My last message was confusing. In the Evernote app on the desktops you have a little satellite icon that will tell you when there is activity in a joined or shared notebook. You will not receive "notifications" on your mobile devices (as you would with a chat message). I suppose it would be nice if we did (not a huge thing for me, but I can see the benefits). I wouldn't be surprised if Evernote has / had considered it. However, as of this moment, we don't have it. And, my guess is that BB is not going to see as many feature additions as Android and iOS because the state that BB is in right now.

• 3 months later...

This is what I need, too. I purchased Evernote premium so that I could create and share to-do notes with my husband.

We do have a shared notebook, but it's not much use if he doesn't get a notification that something new has been added.

Also, what about being able to set an alert for BOTH of us when something is due? If I set a "to do" item for him, but can't set an alert for him, it's pretty much useless.

Maybe there's a way to do this but I can't find it?

Thanks!

1) free users can share 1 notebook with read/write privileges so you might be able to drop down a tier to free if there aren't other premium features you require and you only need 1 shared notebook.

2) reminders that are set on a note should alert ALL users that have subscribed to reminders. On the desktop application this can be done in the application preferences. On iOS it can be done in the settings for any notebook. Make sure your hubby has "subscribed" to reminders in that shared notebook.

3) you DO get notes when new notes are added (at least I do if a note is added by another user whil pe I am also in Evernote).

4) you do not get notices of changes made to a note.

If all you are doing is sharing papists,mi have found Wunderlist a great way to share and manage list type information. It also provides notices any time a collaborator adds or completes a task. It also has much more sophisticated alerts and reminders. If you don't need the rich content storing of Evernote, it might be a better upturn.

My partner and I use both Wundelist (for... Lists!) and Evernkte (for EVERYTHING else). We even integrate the two be pasting note links into Wundelist items where additional information may be needed.

• 2 months later...

Have there been any changes to the free tier limitation of 1 notebook being able to have modify permissions? I just noticed that I am able to share 3 (haven't tried 4) notebooks with modify permissions. I shared the notebooks all to the same user. The other user was successfully able to edit, add, etc. to all three notebooks. I double-checked, full two-way sync of 3 notebooks between two users. I was able to add a 4th, however I didn't test syncing it.

Can someone validate they see this as well? Both are using the latest released Mac version.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Level 5*

Can you take notes from a different notebook and insert it into a shared notebook?  My wife is still a free user and I'm a premium user.

Yes, on the Windows client at least, and probably others. On the Windows client, you can drag/drop to move a note to a notebook shared to you, or to a notebook you've shared to someone else; you will probably lose the original tags. You can also just select a new notebook in the notebook editor, and that notebook can be a shared notebook as before.

This is all provided that you have write privileges on the shared notebook.

Can you take notes from a different notebook and insert it into a shared notebook?  My wife is still a free user and I'm a premium user.

Yes, on the Windows client at least, and probably others. On the Windows client, you can drag/drop to move a note to a notebook shared to you, or to a notebook you've shared to someone else; you will probably lose the original tags. You can also just select a new notebook in the notebook editor, and that notebook can be a shared notebook as before.

This is all provided that you have write privileges on the shared notebook.

Ok I'm on a Mac and that's probably why it didn't work.  I will give it a shot on my Windows computer. 

Thank you!

Archived