Win 8 Crashes trying to view any note

firefox_97

I didn't see this in the forum.

Evernote touch opens, and I can see the header of my notes, but if I click on a note Evernote crashes (disappears)

Is this a common issue?

Should I reinstall or something?

I do also have the desktop version installed

Windows 8.1, touch installed from the Windows store.

Thanks

• Level 5*

Does the desktop version work?  If so,  I'd use that for the moment.  There have been a few Touch issues - http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/46600-evernote-windows-8-touch-issue/.  I'm not sure how you'd uninstall and reinstall the Touch version and whether it shares files with the Desktop;  please send in a support request (see below) and let us know when (and how) you resolve this.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the offer - I suggest you submit a ticket and have a discussion with the support team (see below).  Please report back here  - it'd be interesting to find out more about what tests can be run against the Touch version,  and I'm sure the team will be pleased to have someone to try out some alternatives to get this fixed.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
Does the desktop version work?  If so,  I'd use that for the moment.  There have been a few Touch issues - http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/46600-evernote-windows-8-touch-issue/

just to confirm -- it is OK to have more than one version of EN on the same (Win8) machine? if yes, this may solve my "cant email any note that contains an image" issue on EN Touch, at least for the time being.

There are other users who seem happy with 'dual' versions - never been sure exactly how that works,  because you'd think they share the same local database but I have seen suggestions that they don't...  my install is desktop only,  because that's what I chose.  It seems to work fine on Windows 8.0.

If you don't have any unsynced notes or local notebooks,  your data is safe because a complete copy of the database is stored on Evernote's servers.  So if something goes wrong,  all you need to do is remove one or both of your current Evernote installations and reinstall it.  The copy database will download to your machine and restore it,  and business will continue as usual.

If you do have unsynced notes or local notebooks,  then you need a copy of your EXB file (the database) but I don't know where that is on a Touch machine -

1. Exit Evernote
  2. go to Start
  3. type "exb" and choose Files
  4. Right-click <yourusername>.exb and choose 'open file location'
  5. Copy the file somewhere safe with a name including today's date.  (It's a good idea to get this backup copy anyway on a regular basis just in case...)

Once you've installed a desktop version of Evernote and logged in with your existing user name,  check where that database hides (Evernote > Tools > Options > General) and if necessary rename it and replace it with your original copy.

Let is know how you get on...

...There are other users who seem happy with 'dual' versions - It seems to work fine on Windows 8.0. If you don't have any unsynced notes or local notebooks, your data is safe because a complete copy of the database is stored on Evernote's servers. So if something goes wrong, all you need to do is remove one or both ...

Thanks for the detail! Now that I understand how/why it works (and how to undo) I am fine with giving this a try to see if it solves my note-mailing issue (although I still hope to see a solution on that topic too since EN Touch seems to be working well otherwise and it plays nicely with the Lenovo Yoga Pro hyrbid laptop-tablet).

Appreciate the info ;->

PS.. Any idea why my using the Quote button only yields the markdown text above and not the formatted re-quote that your note shows?

PS to all the above and Alt. Temp Solution: I also found out on this Forum yesterday that Chrome (Win) has an EN app in their web store you cam attach to the browser. I added it to Chrome (my default browser on new Win8 laptop), and voila, I see my whole DB with all notes and I can mail out any note, including those with images.

Until the "cant mail this" glitch in ENTouch is fixed this will let me do what I need without downloading the desktop version.

• Level 5*

PS to all the above and Alt. Temp Solution: I also found out on this Forum yesterday that Chrome (Win) has an EN app in their web store you cam attach to the browser. I added it to Chrome (my default browser on new Win8 laptop), and voila, I see my whole DB with all notes and I can mail out any note, including those with images.

Until the "cant mail this" glitch in ENTouch is fixed this will let me do what I need without downloading the desktop version.

(Sorry - don't know why my (Chrome) quote button works better than yours.)

What's the app you mention?  I can't find anything that looks like it in the forums here or in the Chrome store..

Archived