Evernote is messed up lately

sean_evernote_user

Idea

I've been using evernote since many years and it's become sort of an integral part of my life now. I am a writer so you can imagine how important it is for me.

Since the last few days, I have lost 4 important notes, part of my book, from evernote without a clue and without any warnings. The 1st time it happened, I was aghast....because I often write at any hour whenever inspiration strikes me and been doing this for years and evernote always flawlessly synced my mac to my iPad to my android phone, never had any issue. But out of the blue, suddenly, I had an entire chapter missing. 

I synced, the way i always did, but the sync didn't seem to effect anything on the ipad. I thought maybe they have introduced a cron job sort of queue and it will eventually happen. But the next day it went missing from the mac too. I checked the web, now that told me an entirely different story. 

Evernote on my mac, ipad and web seem to be existing in totally different worlds. None of them would reflect even the formatting changes or the sequence of notes (sorted by last modified) similarly. The web version didn't even SHOW the note i have been working on since the last MONTH in the notes list. And yes, it did say 'last synced 2 days back'.

I checked on the forums and found many people have been facing this issue with almost no satisfactory responses from the support staff. Just users discussing with each other mostly irrelevant stuff, older users trying to talk ***** to new users about how to post in the forums and posting manners and all but no real solution. Mostly egoistic *****.

I read about a few users raising support ticket and getting replies like "sorry for the inconvenience", and suggestions of some things (which I was doing right anyway) for future notes. But no way to recover the notes they have lost. Basically I saw a lot of incoherent replies with an underlying tone that there's nothing wrong with evernote, and the users must be doing something wrong, without specifying what. Typical response of an app developer when they've got millions of users and a few of them facing issues doesn't really matter to them, or their numbers.

I am hereby concluding that evernote does have a bug or an issue which they haven't acknowledged or informed about and it's become an unreliable app to use if you value your ideas and notes. 

When I lost my notes, and I've checked everywhere, on all platforms, they are truly gone, there was absolutely no warning, no indication, no alert about any sync not happening, note not being saved etc etc. which is quite bad. I guess it's time to find an alternative. As a writer, there's nothing more important to me than the ideas that note down assuming they will be there when i wake up the next morning. If I cannot have that basic assurance, it's an app not worth looking at.

It was good while it lasted.

5 replies to this idea

Contrary to some of the discussions you might see here, our support team is quite good at their jobs.  Have you submitted a support ticket?

The differing stories you're seeing on the various clients could be the result of an indexing issue, which would result in different note counts across your devices. Note loss is never acceptable, and you should submit a support ticket, as there are ways the team can support you in the event you've lost a note, especially if you're active across multiple clients.  If you're Premium, Note History can also be used in cases where notes have been overwritten but located elsewhere.

I'd seriously suggest a support ticket. Even if you opt to still move services, I think an attempt should be made to retrieve your content, regardless.

• Level 5*

I've been using evernote since many years and it's become sort of an integral part of my life now. I am a writer so you can imagine how important it is for me.

Since the last few days, I have lost 4 important notes, part of my book, from evernote without a clue and without any warnings. The 1st time it happened, I was aghast....because I often write at any hour whenever inspiration strikes me and been doing this for years and evernote always flawlessly synced my mac to my iPad to my android phone, never had any issue. But out of the blue, suddenly, I had an entire chapter missing.

I synced, the way i always did, but the sync didn't seem to effect anything on the ipad. I thought maybe they have introduced a cron job sort of queue and it will eventually happen. But the next day it went missing from the mac too. I checked the web, now that told me an entirely different story.

Evernote on my mac, ipad and web seem to be existing in totally different worlds. None of them would reflect even the formatting changes or the sequence of notes (sorted by last modified) similarly. The web version didn't even SHOW the note i have been working on since the last MONTH in the notes list. And yes, it did say 'last synced 2 days back'.

I checked on the forums and found many people have been facing this issue with almost no satisfactory responses from the support staff. Just users discussing with each other mostly irrelevant stuff, older users trying to talk ***** to new users about how to post in the forums and posting manners and all but no real solution. Mostly egoistic *****.

I read about a few users raising support ticket and getting replies like "sorry for the inconvenience", and suggestions of some things (which I was doing right anyway) for future notes. But no way to recover the notes they have lost. Basically I saw a lot of incoherent replies with an underlying tone that there's nothing wrong with evernote, and the users must be doing something wrong, without specifying what. Typical response of an app developer when they've got millions of users and a few of them facing issues doesn't really matter to them, or their numbers.

I am hereby concluding that evernote does have a bug or an issue which they haven't acknowledged or informed about and it's become an unreliable app to use if you value your ideas and notes.

When I lost my notes, and I've checked everywhere, on all platforms, they are truly gone, there was absolutely no warning, no indication, no alert about any sync not happening, note not being saved etc etc. which is quite bad. I guess it's time to find an alternative. As a writer, there's nothing more important to me than the ideas that note down assuming they will be there when i wake up the next morning. If I cannot have that basic assurance, it's an app not worth looking at.

It was good while it lasted.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about the trouble.

I am probably one of those older users you are talking about -- I've been with Evernote since it began in 2008. I've lost notes as well on occasion, so I sympathize with your situation. The Evernote app on each platform goes through several iterations each year, though, so you have to be careful in reading through the threads, because some of the posts (including mine) refer to apps that are radically different now. Personally, I haven't been encountering any issues (Mac and iPad), but I have seen a few scattered reports in recent days about note counts being off.

Even with all of the changes over time, the basic service remains the same. Apps sync notes from your device (computer, iPhone, etc.) to the Evernote servers. If you edit a note on your iPad, it will sync to the server, and then your Mac will check with the server, pull the changed note down, and then you edit it. Everything goes through the server (with the exception of local notebooks, which are another topic). If note counts are different and they aren't on the server, then something is likely wrong with one of the apps.

1. Could you tell us the note counts on each app (Mac, iPad, and Web)?

2. Have you checked your note histories?

3. Have you started a support ticket (see the link in my signature)?

Evernote takes data loss seriously. I recommend, though, with any computer application, that you keep backups. I have some advice about that here.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=962

[EDIT:] It looks like I was beaten to the post by an Evernote employee. I'd follow his advice.

As the others have already mentioned - if you're premium member please check note histories.  I was able to do this by logging into Evernote via the Web. 

I just lost some notes over this past weekend (was updating lots of stuff in between devices - PC, iPad, iPhone, and Mac- over a couple of days).  Most of the data I thought I had lost was actually in Conflicts, and the rest of it I found in Note History (first time i've had to use it).  This has happened to me once before but I didn't think anything of it and just recreated the notes.  For me - and i'm in the process of trying to re-create - I had a sync issue and it seems once all my devices came online it was as if they each thought they had the "high watermark" (hope that makes sense).  I believe this only occurs for me when I have a device that's offline for a period of time, I make a change on a device that is online, and then bring that first device online to sync changes.  At least - that's when I can generate the conflicts.  The lost note - not sure how that happened - but it was never really lost and was found ultimately in note history.

I have my own personal issues with evernote, but I don't think data loss is acceptable to them (nor any application developer for that matter).  Hope this works out for you.

I am having a data loss problem when trying to format data that I have pasting into an EN doc.

When I am formatting data that I have pasted into an existing doc at some point the data above it is deleted or in some cases it merges with the newly added data.

At first it was an occasional issue, mostly when adding bullets and formatting the newly added data. But in the past week it is happening daily and at times other than when I am using bullet points. This morning I was pasting definitions of the word 'faith' into a newly created document. When I added the third definition and began working with it the two before it were deleted without cause by what I was doing.

I reported this issue a month ago and was told it was a definite bug and would be reported to the software folks and given a few free months of free service.

I do research using various sources and sites and collect it in EN. I will find an alternative (any suggestions?) as I cannot risk loosing my data and not being able to replace it.

EN does not seem to have a revision system like OneNote and the suggested backup offered by EN is confusing to me.

I am using EN on my iPad.

you say you are "pasting" material into an evernote note on iOS. Where are you pasting this from? Websites? PDFs? 

Are you simplifying the style before you begin "formatting"? (which I gather you mean "reformatting") 

Please give us a bit more detail about the specifics of the material you are copying and pasting. 

It is possible that if the text you are pasting came from the source heavily formatted, perhaps heavily formatted using HTML, the note editor in Evernote is messing the whole thing up. 

Try reproducing this problem, then try using the exact same source material but click on the green ellipsis (the ...) and select "simplify formatting" before pasting more text or heavily reformatting. That MAY resolve your issue. 

Archived