Combining Notebooks to create Genealogy resource

DrGranma

Idea

I would like to combine several notebooks and am not sure of the limits or process. I created a folder called Genealogy. I created a second folder called Family History and put it inside of the first folder. That seemed to work well and showed a stack with 2 notebooks in it. Although they are separate and that is OK. It is at the next stop that I have a problem. I created a notebook called by a family name. I tried to put it inside of the Family History folder and that does not work.  My plan has to be able to create family name notebooks into Family History and then individual names in each of the Family name folder and fill them with notes.  It appears that you can creat notebooks in the Stack but not add notebooks another level.

Is that true? Am I doing it wrong?? Any other family history folks that can give me any suggestions. The goal is to finally organize all my collection of digital records and notes across several families and individuals.

Thanks for your help.

Marianne

(DrGranma)

2 replies to this idea

I would like to combine several notebooks and am not sure of the limits or process. I created a folder called Genealogy. I created a second folder called Family History and put it inside of the first folder. That seemed to work well and showed a stack with 2 notebooks in it. Although they are separate and that is OK. It is at the next stop that I have a problem. I created a notebook called by a family name. I tried to put it inside of the Family History folder and that does not work.  My plan has to be able to create family name notebooks into Family History and then individual names in each of the Family name folder and fill them with notes.  It appears that you can creat notebooks in the Stack but not add notebooks another level.

Is that true? Am I doing it wrong?? Any other family history folks that can give me any suggestions. The goal is to finally organize all my collection of digital records and notes across several families and individuals.

Thanks for your help.

Marianne

(DrGranma)

Stacks don't contain any notes.  Stacks simply group notebooks.  There are no sub-folders/sub-notebooks in Evernote.  Using Evernote, you can use stacks, notebooks, tags, descriptive titles & keywords to organize  your notes.

• Level 5

Any other family history folks that can give me any suggestions.

I have a large amount of information on my family history, but I do not use Evernote. Most genealogists rely on programs (some are free) that are designed specifically for genealogy. No sense re-inventing the wheel.

Evernote doesn't have the ability for date calculations (who lived the longest on my mother's side), family relationships (2nd cousin once removed), family trees (charts & graphs), and many other relationship tasks.

And more importantly, Evernote cannot handle import or export of the standard GEDCOM data structure. GEDCOM is a universal method of formatting your family tree data into a file which can be easily read and converted by any genealogy software program

Evernote can be a handy reference spot to store raw data and supporting documentation

Just toss it into a note and tag it with "Genealogy".

Here is a link from a person who is using Evernote, OneNote and other programs to track their family history.

http://www.toniasroots.net/?s=evernote

Archived