web clipper not showing up on internet explorer when i right click.

Judyg

Hi Judyg,

Would like to know what:

- IE version you have.

- OS version

- Evernote Windows version.

- If this happened after updating the Evernote client? Or if it happened after updating IE?

Sometimes this happens during updating from one version to a newer one, here are a few things to try: (in roughly this order)

1) Make sure you have the 'Command bar' visible in IE.

2) Right click the IE toolbar and choose 'Customize' >Add or remove commands then find the Evernote icon in the list on the left and Add it. 

3) Make sure the Web Clipper is enabled, if you install the Evernote client as anything else than administrator it may be disabled by default depending on your system settings. 

4) To check that it is enabled goto Internet Explorer menu > Manage Add ons and find 'Add to Evernote' in the list and make sure it is enabled. 

Restart IE for changes to take effect. 

Thanks,

I have IE 11, OS VERSION 8.1, EVERNOTE VERSION 7.3.0, I DONT KNOW IF IT HAPPENED AFTER ANY UPDATES BECAUSE I AM JUST LEARNING TO USE IT FROM TUTORIALS AND DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT WEB CLIPPER.

COMMAND BAR IS VISIBLE, WENT TO CUSTOMIZE AND DID NOT FIND EVERNOTE TO ADD.

WENT TO MANAGE ADD ONS AND DID NOT FIND EVERNOTE TO ADD IT.

You won't loose any of your stuff. One point of Evernote is to have it installed on all your devices so don't uninstall it. 

If you are using Windows just install the Windows client and the IE Web Clipper will be installed at the same time.

I have a brand new Lenovo Pro 2 convertible running Windows 8.1 & IE 11.  (I've used EN with Web Clipper [WC] for a couple of years on my ancient Windows XP desktop with IE 7 and also Chrome 32.  But I haven't done an EN tutorial since I first downloaded it, so I'm still pretty much a newbie to EN.)  
I downloaded & installed EN Touch from the Apps Store.  I can open EN directly either in Metro or desktop mode, but I can't find the background WC feature when I'm in IE.  How do I access if when in IE?

I've followed Browncoat's instructions Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:41 PM to Judyg, but I'm not finding EN or the WC in the IE toolbar 'Customize' list.  How do I get it there?

Thanks!

(BTW - Win8.1 Metro has me baffled, so this may be half the problem I'm having...)

• 7 months later...

@jbignert

please help me too!

I cannot find the web clipper (WC) on IE 11. I saw and followed your instructions to Judyg but I do not specifically have the WC in my add ons at all. I am on Windows 7, IE 11, Evernote version 5.6.4.4632 (272632) Public.

I have downloaded this same version to my laptop which has the exact same OS and IE version and I DID find the WC for my command bar, but it is not here on my desktop.

I also have the Evernote app on my Kindle Fire HD and have yet to find the WC button in it, but that's not my primary concern right now. It's my desktop where I do most of my surfing.

I did some research on your support pages and found this statement "In Internet Explorer there is no Web Clipper button. Just right-click on the webpage in the browser window and select CLIP from the menu." However, I don't get just a "clip" menu; I get several of the options just listed line by line - e.g. clip bookmark, clip page, clip URL. One that is missing is "screenshot" which I use all the time. Again, on my laptop I DO have the initial "clip" menu and can choose the method of clipping like the support document states.

I am just beginning to learn how to use this product and I could really like it if this were "fixed."

Thanks for any help you can send.

Hi mrs howie,

This is most likely caused by not having IE closed when you perform an upgrade or install of the Windows client. Here's a couple of steps to try:

1) Restart Windows

2) Start Evernote Windows client from the start menu. (this is important as it triggers the files to install in IE)

3) Start IE and make sure the command bar is visible as described here: https://www.evernote.com/l/AAwb17Q0-IlIeLxm0l2VMo6v8b2VuF-A50I

4) If everything works you should see and Elephant icon in the command bar. 

- IF that still doesn't work please check in Internet Explorer > Tools > Manage add ons. Verify that Evernote Extension is listed and enabled. IF disabled try to enable it. 

- IF the button is still missing got to Internet Explorer > Tools > Toolbars > Customize and look for the Elephant in the left list and add it to the right side list. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Thank you for the reply. I did everything exactly as you mentioned and still no luck.

By the way, I paid attention yesterday and my desktop at my work also is misbehaving in this same manner by not showing or offering the webclipper. That computer is also on windows 7 although it is probably an enterprise version if that matters, and IE was either 9 or 11 (sorry!! I guess I have been looking at too many "about IE" screens :)).

I am attaching a Word document of the results I got when following your steps above so you can see what I see.

I don't understand why my laptop is working as expected and the desktops are not. Makes no sense. Would uninstalling and reinstalling help? If I do that would I lose my existing data?

Thanks again for any help. I appreciate having access to you.

Evernote webclipper issue 9.19.14.doc

Hi mrshowie,

Thanks for providing that doc. Everything points to that the Clipper is installed correctly and the fact that the right-click options does have the Clip to Evernote actions is a good sign. 

- Try clipping with the right-click options in IE. See if that fails or not. 

- The 'not available' part is just the attribute for the publisher in the list of installed extensions. 

- Make sure you start Evernote from the start menu in Windows in case you haven't done that. Then restart IE.

Hi jbignert,

Right clicking in IE does work, but from the document I attached in the last post you can see that not all of the options are available to me. I am a heavy user of screenshot (aka screenclipping [windows + S] which is how I put the images in that Word doc) and that's not offered. I have rebooted my computer and therefore restarted IE as well as opening EN from the start menu all still to no avail. :(

Any other ideas?

• 7 months later...

When I try to add Evernote to my IE I get the message on trying to run the .exe program that Evernote_5.8.6.7519.exe couldn't be downloaded. This means that neither right clicking on the page nor looking for Evernote among the Addons is valid.

What could be preventing the download, as it downloaded to Chrome and functions well, but unfortunately the site I want to clip does not have the plugins for Chrome and hence will not display.

Shot in the dark here... I wonder if it's maybe related to Window phasing out support for Internet Explorer?

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/03/rip-internet-explorer-the-rise-and-fall-of-an-empi.html

When I try to add Evernote to my IE I get the message on trying to run the .exe program that Evernote_5.8.6.7519.exe couldn't be downloaded. This means that neither right clicking on the page nor looking for Evernote among the Addons is valid.

What could be preventing the download, as it downloaded to Chrome and functions well, but unfortunately the site I want to clip does not have the plugins for Chrome and hence will not display.

Archived