(Archived) PALM PRE Evernote Requests

I have had a chance to try evernote on my palm pre and I found that it works but I have some suggestions for improvement. I upgraded to the Pre from a 755p, before that I had a Palm 650. Here are the things that I really miss from my 755p and 650.

These items helped me get through the day and I would like to see EverNote help me achieve this:

• [*:3vjptmt1]The ability to update a note within 30 seconds...(very important feature if I'm actually going to use this product). This is from unlocking to the phone to saving the note (Under 30 seconds PLEASE)
    [*:3vjptmt1]The ability to have different notes displayed based on tags/categories. This should be a default view setting.
    [*:3vjptmt1]The ability to show these lists in one line showing only the name of the note in the view, so I can quickly choose a list without having to search for it... (remember the under 30 seconds comment)
    [*:3vjptmt1]Have the application load quickly if it wasn't already open, and auto login.
    [*:3vjptmt1]The don't require us click on the edit button to make update... the reason we are in the note is to update it 99% of the time. An auto save feature would be nice.

Thank you for your consideration of these features.

-Ben

Thanks for the feedback.

The auto-login should happen by default. It appears that this isn't working correctly on some phones, and we're investigating the reasons. Do you always have to log in when you launch our application (100% of the time), or only some times?

The edit/view behavior is a little tricky since your phone is capable of displaying notes that you can't safely edit. I.e. it can display full HTML with images, etc., but it only includes a basic plaintext editor. This means that the only notes that can be safely edited on the phone (without losing data/formatting) are the notes that just contain plain text content.

Thanks

Due to the limited screen space on the mobile devices, we don't put in a notebook browsing mode. If you start typing on the main screen, however, you can search for notes by text fairly quickly.

The problem with the search is it only searches for the text inside the note. It does not search the name of the folder. In my case I have all my clients put in Evernote as folders using their last name, first name. When I have a thought or whatever for a client, I go to that folder and just type in the information, not the client's name again. A search by client name on the pre app. gets me zero notes.

I will still use the Pre app to jot down things, pictures, etc. but the inability to "see" by folders will make it unsusable for work.

I do appreciate you guys having a client this quickly. Good luck with it.

How about this?

When I first open Evernote I get a list of my recent notes. Sometimes the note is old or out of date, or something I meant to keep only a short time. A quick swipe off to the side should delete the note, as in other WebOs apps. That would save the time to open the note first and trash it.

• [*]The ability to update a note within 30 seconds...(very important feature if I'm actually going to use this product). This is from unlocking to the phone to saving the note (Under 30 seconds PLEASE)

Regarding the ability to update a note within 30 seconds, I'd say if you need to jot something down quickly, use the Pre memos, then copy/paste into your Evernote later. You might have a few favorite notes in memos that you can maintain quickly, and copy/paste them into your Evernote notebook when you have more time.

Here's a feature I'd like to see, based on an unfortunate sequence of events I had this morning. I would like to see a warning message asking you to confirm discarding a note that you have been editing!

Being a new user, I accidentally discarded a note, and it was extremely disappointing. I spent about 25 minutes taking careful notes on a sermon at church, and it was a really good one. At the end, I tapped the folder icon, but did not realize I needed to make sure I saw the message that it was saved. Then I clicked on the "X" icon, and poof, it was gone.

Well, that won't happen to me again, but IMHO, it should not have happened in the first place.

Beyond that, I'm quite pleased. I really like the mobility aspect. Thanks, Evernote!

Here's a feature I'd like to see, based on an unfortunate sequence of events I had this morning. I would like to see a warning message asking you to confirm discarding a note that you have been editing!

Being a new user, I accidentally discarded a note, and it was extremely disappointing. I spent about 25 minutes taking careful notes on a sermon at church, and it was a really good one. At the end, I tapped the folder icon, but did not realize I needed to make sure I saw the message that it was saved. Then I clicked on the "X" icon, and poof, it was gone.

Well, that won't happen to me again, but IMHO, it should not have happened in the first place.

Beyond that, I'm quite pleased. I really like the mobility aspect. Thanks, Evernote!

I believe that the X button is an instant delete. So, you'd not want to hit that on a note you want to keep in any event. I'm not sure what happens if you swipe to close without waiting for the save confirmation, but I'm guessing it's not a good idea. Kind of like if you're working in a very large document in Word or Excel or some other PC app, you wouldn't want to close the app before waiting for the save process to complete.

The auto-login should happen by default. It appears that this isn't working correctly on some phones, and we're investigating the reasons. Do you always have to log in when you launch our application (100% of the time), or only some times?

Not the original poster, but I'm also having this problem - sometimes when I launch Evernote on my Pre, the loading spinner goes around and around for a long time, then the program prompts me for logonid/password. Other times, the program launches quickly, and doesn't prompt for credentials.

Anecdotally, I think the logon prompts are happening when I'm in a poor reception area. This troubles me - it seems like the program wants a network handshake of some sort before opening. What if I'm on a plane, or a dead zone and need to look at a cached note? Does the Pre Evernote app need to see the network to open? If so, as much as I love Evernote, I need to seek a different solution. Please, say it ain't so!

I'm really looking forward to the first update. I absolutely love EN on the Pre, but it's a bit unstable at the moment. After EN's been open for awhile (haven't quantified what that means, sorry) it seems like it can't serve up note cards (hee hee) reliably. After a time, notes start opening as empty cards with only the details showing. Closing and reopening EN seems to resolve the issue, but it makes using EN for quick note entry a bit problematic.

I won't ask when the update might be available, because I know you can't say that, but let's just say I'm hoping it's soon. :D

• 2 weeks later...

The Palm WebOS doesn't currently give any way for an application like Evernote to record audio. I.e. they didn't yet expose this via their API. (They didn't expose the camera/picture API, either, but we can hack around that for now using their camera app with our email gateway. No such option for audio, unfortunately.)

You could experiment with one of the phone-based transcription to email services, like ReQall or Dial2Do. These allow you to call a phone number, which then can email a transcription to your "incoming email address" ... you can find this on the Settings page of your full web account.

The Palm WebOS doesn't currently give any way for an application like Evernote to record audio. I.e. they didn't yet expose this via their API. (They didn't expose the camera/picture API, either, but we can hack around that for now using their camera app with our email gateway. No such option for audio, unfortunately.)

You could experiment with one of the phone-based transcription to email services, like ReQall or Dial2Do. These allow you to call a phone number, which then can email a transcription to your "incoming email address" ... you can find this on the Settings page of your full web account.

Thank you for the information. If Palm eventually does open this up, is it likely EN will support it in the Pre app?

Would really like the "notebooks" selectable instead of just all notes. Can this be added to the PalmPre app?

Tags would be nice as someone mentioned, but for me "Notebooks" selection really vital when you have a lot of notes.

Thanks so much for this app.

The auto-sync is really great this solves a LOT of problems for me. I intend to replace "memos" completely with evernote.

Maybe my task list TOO. Cheers, - FreeTim

I can NEVER access evernote on my palm pre when in a grocery store! Just get the spinning log in... so menus and grocery lists are useless. it really seems hit or miss when you can or can't log in. Not reliable.

• 3 weeks later...

[1] i wish the "tags" would sort on the palm pre like they do on the evernote windows desktop. This way you could select from an orderly list of tags, not just random gobblede *****

[2] I wish the tags on the pre would select by typing a couple letters then the list jumps to that tag like they do on the evernote windows desktop (like if you had a list of tags that includes "electrical", you type "el" then it jumps to electrical.

[3] Also, the tags should indent like they do on the desktop, or at least sort like the desktop is.

Evernote is very nice, but could be so much more useful if these worked right.

I second the suggestion for there to be notebook usage on the Pre app. I've really caught on to using Evernote and I use it for just about everything from organizing scanned maintenance receipts for my car to cataloging photos/web clippings of products for home improvement projects. So... this has lead me to have a TON of individual notes on my Pre (while they are neatly organized into Notebooks on my desktop and laptop). When I search, it takes a "long time" to search for the note that I want.

Just now, using my Pre on a wifi connection, it took 34 seconds from first tap of the Evernote icon to pulling up a to do list that I use frequently. When I do the search, a lot of extra notes come up (usually scans or photos with OCR) and I have to sift through them even though I typed the exact title of what I was looking for... If I had to fiddle or couldn't remember the exact name of the note I wanted, it would take me about a minute and a half... enough to discourage me from using it when the thought crosses my mind unless it's something that I really have to write it down. Even if there is little screen "real estate" to include notebooks, I wouldn't mind perhaps an option to toggle it for someone who really wants to use it.

A response was given that for notes that need to be accessed frequently to use the Pre's built in memos or tasks and sync later. Would there be any consideration (or ability with the webOS API) to providing a sync between Evernote and Pre Memos?

As an alternative, could there be a setting (perhaps on the Evernote settings website, so no Pre screen would need to be taken up) to choose which notebooks won't sync to the Pre (or certain devices)? I know you have the option of choosing (permanently) whether or not the notebook is sync-able. But the Evernote desktop application is fine on my desktop and laptop and work computer which I *do* want to sync... just not extra notes with my Pre.

Thanks for your consideration! Evernote is a great product!

Mike

iPhone can decrypt existing encrypted content to view, but it can't encrypt new content.

We haven't yet added this to the Pre, but it's certainly on our (long) list of desirable additions and changes. The iPhone app has a year extra for a head start...

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I'll add a few things.

Notebooks - definitely need this. (ie. the ability to sort, or only look at a certain Notebook)

-One tip, create Saved Searches like "Notebook - NotebookName"

-This way all your notebooks stay near each other and can be searched just for the notebook.

Next - ALPHABETIZE SAVED SEARCHES.

-so I can pretty much get around most of the annoyances because I can access saved searches on the Plam pre. I can make Saved Searches for tags, for notebooks, for whatever.

HOWEVER, the Saved Searches are not alphabetized! So I'll make some like "A-Current" so I can have a particular search at the top, however this Saved Search ends up being at the bottom of my list. ;)

-I'm confused why these aren't alphabetized, or follow any kind of order.

-when I access saved searches the list is just a jumbled mess and I find myself scrolling up and down trying to find what I'm looking for.

Next - Some way of tag fill.

I have like 300 tags. I love tags, but I can't remember them all. Is there not someway to have typing in a tag for a note and have it start to pre fill? Or at least choose from some kind of list (an alphabetized list :)? Just some method that I don't have to remember them and can choose from options?

Finally - as I think has been mentioned before, stability. For one, I should be able to switch from WiFi to cellular and back again and use EN. Even if I have to shut EN down that's fine. But right now, when I switch wireless modes, it screws everything up with EN, I start getting the "Offline" error, and I have to restart the whole phone.

Thanks much - you guys rock.

I had a few ideas:

1. Being able to add a note/append to a note from the 'find' screen. I have no idea if this would be possible, but if I could just start typing on the pre and have a button under 'twitter' and 'wikipedia' that said 'evernote' I think this would solve all of the 'add something in 30 seconds' requests, and would let us very quickly push information into evernote.

2. Some way to sync a few notes to be available offline. I often find myself wanting to add something to a note, or create a new note, while I am on the subway and evernote just spins.

3. Be able to decrease / increase the font size.

It's a great app, keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd say proper 2-way synching (with data stored on the Pre) has to be top of the list, because that would not only be accessible out of access areas - which is enormously important (e.g. on a plane) but accessible immediately, without any login routines.

The idea of an Evernote app that works with Pre memos sounds good. If Pre memos had been any good - why on earth Palm produced such a useless core app when all its pre-Pre devices had excellent memos functionality I can't imagine - many Pre-users probably wouldn't have looked out Evernote in the first place. Now I've found it, it's much more powerful than the Memos on my Zire : but it's the total dependence on slow and erratic log-in that undermines it. If Palm beat you to it with a Memos app that does what Evernote does and synchs to their Palm Profile, you'll lose a lot of customers.

Maybe the Evernote app that's needed is a separate standalone app that carries all the Evernote functionality except the synch-to-web.

BTW really appreciate a forum that the company's developers obviously monitor regularly and respond to!

• 5 weeks later...

First, even with the latest update I'm still getting connection issues. I have a solid internet connection and the App opens in offline mode

In the short term I would like a text only view.

As far as the 30 second thing goes: opening the mail program and emailing a note to my Evernote Inbox works great for me.

UPDATE: 02-01-2010 Noticed over the past few weeks that the app works great now.

Terry

• 2 months later...

I'm new to evernote. I also have been unable to get onto evernote via my Pre. Although I can get on line to just about every other web site, evernote tells me I'm "unable to log in while offline." Is this a bug in the evernote-Pre connection,

or am I missing something very simple?

• 3 weeks later...

Here's (I think) a small one:

I don't think there's a way to create a new bullet list from webOS (which would be nice), but in the case where a note already has a list and I want to just add a new item, the Enter key works like a Shift+Enter on Windows. That means you just get a new line appended to the last list item instead of getting a new bullet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would love to see EverNote develop a Outline mode with collapsible sections. Google Notebook provided an approach to group notes. Categorizing notes in a folder hierarchy also provides additional benefits especially when you have thousands of tags and notes. It allows the users to group the most relevant notes under a subject and streamline the list view. SplashNotes has a great outlining approach, which easily synced with my previous Palm devices. As a device/OS switcher, data portability is extremely important to me. Generally, I prepare outlines and todo list on my desktop and move them to my PDA device after generating my daily todo list. My main challenge with the Evernote model on the Palm Pre is accessing my notebooks when internet service is not available. Please let me know if EverNote has an offline mode for Palm Pre devices.

Viewing html source on the Evernote client would also be on my wishlist. It would help me resolve formatting conflicts, which could occur when pasting or clipping from several different web sources. You could make this a advance feature togglable through the preference pane. It would also help EverNote Developers visualize what happens to clips in EverNotes by viewing the html source code.

On the Evernote Windows Client, I would like to mention that the setting the font does not always change all font settings in a note. Generally, one has to change the font line by line rather than the whole note. Indenting also seems to get unpredictable going from the Window client, Web client, to the MAC client. I often work on multiple operating systems and use EverNote to transfer quick thoughts or notes from one computer to the next. It helps me troubleshoot a computer when the other one is disagreeable. I also notice tab and indenting produce different results; and my bullet and todo often have in consistent space between line. Again, html viewing source would help me resolve these spacing and font scenarios.

I'd say proper 2-way synching (with data stored on the Pre) has to be the top of my list, because it would access to your notebooks when cell service unavailable, which is enormously important on a plane. Immediate accessibility would rate high on my wish list even with using the Palms built in memos or task as a work around.

I have only two requests for Evernote for the Palm Pre.

1. faster loading and opening of notes

2. OFFLINE Storage of notes. This is extremely important as most of us have to access our notes even if not in 3G or WiFi range (like in some buildings or on a plane).

I see that it exists for the iPhone, why not the Pre.

Thanks!! Great product too.

Ugh. Shame on me for not doing more research before counting on this app to be my replacement to have secure notes on my Palm Pre. Since upgrading from a Treo, which had the ability to secure memos, I thought Evernote would be the answer to that (knowing that Pre's memo tool didn't have that capability). I thought the option to be able to encrypt selected text within a note was fantastic, since often there's only a piece of a memo that really needs to be secured. But now I found out that you can't decrypt text on the Pre app AND you can't get at your notes offline!

I'm more than willing to pay for the app, but unfortunately without these key pieces of functionality Evernote isn't suitable. If anyone has an alternative that works now, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

As I posted in response to an ongoing issue that seems to be getting little attention from EN, perhaps now that HP has purchased Palm the webOS EN app will get some additional attention. It's always been a great platform, now it should be clear that it will be a successful one as well.

I am most importantly missing the ability to have my notes with me when I am offline. I do a lot of work in rural areas and also travel frequently internationally. I am still without an adequate option to port my notes from a Treo to a Pre. It is a pity since Evernote would be the very best option if only they would save at least the text of the notes.

I would kindly ask anyone from Evernote if is this is something they plan to address soon, or should I keep looking elsewhere?

Thank you very much.

• 3 months later...

In no particular order...

1) Offline storage & sync

2) Notebook view (no concern about screen size if you list the notebooks first, or have a drop down filter)

3) Native WebOS editing functionality (select all, copy, paste, cursor positioning)

4) Formatting (Heading levels, lists, checkboxes, etc. If it can be done on the web, it can be done on WebOS)

5) Like #2, tab view and/or dropdown filter

6) Checkbox toggling, without being in edit mode

7) Key combo shortcuts wherever possible

8) Swipe to delete (come on, it's a native gesture... come to think of it, support back swipes)

9) Note title list style option (do we really need to see the notes squeezed into a little thumbnails that we can't recognize anyway?)

10) Extended preferences ("default list view" for one, but others could include "default list style", "autosave seconds", even custom keyboard shortcuts)

Now imagine:

Open the app and be presented with your list of notebooks. Tap the one you want and see all titles within. Tap on the title you want to view the note, then the edit button to edit it.

But wait! Don't like that? You'd rather just open the app and see the thumbnails of the notes for the last selected notebook? Just set your preferences accordingly.

Don't want a note any longer? Swipe it off the screen from the list and it's gone. Found some great text on a blog or in a PDF manual? Just use the native WebOS copy and paste gestures to get it into EN.

Uh oh. Sitting in the passenger seat or on a bus/train and lost signal? No worries, that's what the offline storage/editing is for. It'll sync up automatically when the signal is back.

Now imagine paying two or three bucks for all this great functionality.... Can you?

I can.

• 5 months later...

Two requests that echo what previous posters have mentioned here:

• 1. Tag filtering - Many of us have a lot of tags/categories and would prefer to select them from a list rather than trying to type them from memory. The memos (notes) app on the old PalmOS handhelds and Treos had a drop-down box for tag filtering for over a decade and that's what we have come to expect on Palm devices. Other platforms are different and may not consider this a priority, but most of your competitor apps on WebOS have this and it would help to make this the premier notes app on WebOS.
    2. Offline note access - We really need to be able to access our notes even when we don't have a data connection.

Thanks to the developers for all their hard work on this great app for WebOS.

1) Offline storage & sync

Now imagine paying two or three bucks for all this great functionality.... Can you?

I can.

I think you mean paying $3.33-$5 per month for offline storage, since the EN mobile apps that have it require a premium account. EN isn't Angry Birds or Hipstamatic. It's an app that uses a lot of EN's resources for storage & app development & maintenance, every single moment of every single day.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=19427&p=80583&hilit=engineer#p80583

Archived