Suggested Features

jriether

I've used a number of notebook apps, and Penultimate is my favorite.  However, it lacks a few features that would make it exceptional.

I'd like to add transparency to the pen styles to simulate the use of a highlighter marker.  It would also be nice, to that end, to allow for larger pen sizes (at least double the current maximum size).

Some speed control over the "anchor" feature would be helpful as it sometimes goes too fast at maximum scroll speed.  The acceleration is fine, but the max speed is too fast for my handwriting.

And finally, it would be nice to have some pen tip options.

Bamboo is another app I sometimes use, and it makes use of some of these features.  But Penultimate is a better app in my opinion.  Thanks.

I agree that it'd be nice to set the speed of the auto-scroll, and/or provide an ability to push a "forward" button to jump ahead a certain amount.  (This could act much like the "return" button when in zoom mode.)  Highlighting and pen styles would be awesome as well.  

Another thing would be to lock auto-rotation, if IOS allows that.  

I agree that it'd be nice to set the speed of the auto-scroll, and/or provide an ability to push a "forward" button to jump ahead a certain amount.  (This could act much like the "return" button when in zoom mode.)  Highlighting and pen styles would be awesome as well.  

Another thing would be to lock auto-rotation, if IOS allows that.  

There is a global rotation lock in iOS that will prevent the system from rotating. This can be found either in the iPad Settings>General of if you bring up Control Center by swiping up from the bottom of the display, there is a button on the far right that will set this as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely want a highlighter feature.

Also, I don't care so much about larger pen sizes, but I would really like the pen to go smaller. I write small - even on my iPad - other note apps like Notability can handle my handwriting because they have smaller pen sizes.

I love Penultimate, but right now it's my number two note app because Notability does what Penultimate can't currently do.

• 1 month later...

Extra feature request: ability to add pages typed on keyboard through Evernote - there's been times where I take notes, but also have part of a document/site/article that is relevant and want to merge......

Extra feature request: ability to add pages typed on keyboard through Evernote - there's been times where I take notes, but also have part of a document/site/article that is relevant and want to merge......

I agree, if this was properly/carefully implemented, it could be great. A similar feature has just appeared on Android, so I am wondering if perhaps we'll see some closer integration between Penultimate and Evernote on iOS in the future.

Definitely want a highlighter feature.

Also, I don't care so much about larger pen sizes, but I would really like the pen to go smaller. I write small - even on my iPad - other note apps like Notability can handle my handwriting because they have smaller pen sizes.

I love Penultimate, but right now it's my number two note app because Notability does what Penultimate can't currently do.

I'll second the request for a finer pen size. When taking notes, they end up looking like they were written in crayon, so as much as I LOVE the integration with Evernote, I tend to use Notes Plus more often.

I use the zoom and drift feature a lot. I'd like to be able to see the time whilst in zoom mode and I'd like to be able to add a new page whilst in zoom mode without exiting zoom mode. The ability to add a new page and start writing at the top of the new page all while still in zoom and drift mode would be great.

I have just started to use evernote and penultimate.  I have to say I think I am missing some key features which may not make this work -

Ability to mark-up pdf's - tried to do it in skitch, but I want to be able to handwrite over them, and highlight.  I had been using notes plus and this was great to be able to do this, but that will not work with evernote.

Ability to zoom in and write - as in most of the other note taking apps - notes plus, note shelf etc. 

Hopefully some of these can be added or I may have to go back to the drawing board.......

Has there been any previous discussion about an option in settings to disable the "clear page" function?  I take a lot of notes on job sites that require that I lug the iPad from point to point.  Today I opened up a notebook to put together a project and the entire first page of the notebook is gone. (30 minutes worth of measurements)  The info had to be deleted on site, because the backup to Evernote didn't have the original info either.

I can't tell you how many times I've stopped in a panic because the 'Clear Page?' box came up 3/4 of the way through a pile of measurements on a site.  I can certainly see the functionality of that feature, but for those of us who aren't sitting at a desk taking notes, the ability to "delete-proof" the detailed measurement sketches that we did would be REALLY nice.  My only other option is to turn off the iPad every time pause to move from location to location on a site and then open back up just so that I don't accidentially touch the eraser twice... Sure, it's doable, but it's not exactly convenient.  This isn't the first time this has happened, but it's certainly the first time I've been absolutely sure that the deletion was an on-site issue.

Archived