Feature request: Distinguishing "done" from "cleared" for reminders without date

Rense

I'm not sure if this is a new issue or not.... when I create a new note, and don't add any reminder, the "reminder" icon in the top bar of the note is grey. If I add a reminder, the icon turns blue, and if I add a date, the date appears next to it. So far, so good. When I click the reminder icon and choose "mark as done", the reminder icon turns back to grey and the date is crossed out, so that I can see that this reminder was "done". If I clear the reminder instead, the icon turns back to grey and the date dissapears, as if there never was a reminder. All as you would expect.

HOWEVER, when I add a reminder without a date, choosing "done" or "clear" both return the reminder icon to its initial state. So, I cannot tell the difference between a "done" and a "cleared" reminder. This is annoying, because I have many reminders without reminders (tasks without deadlines) and I would like to see wether I have actually done them or just forgot to set the reminder.

I know that there are ways to find done and cleared reminders using search syntax (which is buggy, but that's another story) but the interface should provide us with this info as well.

• 6 months later...

*kick!*

I'm surprised that I got no responses to this... am I really the only one bothered by not knowing whether a note was marked as "done" or never got a reminder in the first place? Or am I missing something?

• Level 5*

Do you need other people to say "no, I'm not bothered by this"? OK, well I just said it.

I use reminders with dates to put notes into the reminders sub-list; often for notes that pertain to projects I am working on, but that don't have specific due dates. I also use reminders with dates to remind me of a task's due date. Either way, the reminders sub-list serves as a sort of scoreboard for things I am working on currently. If I really need a date that an item was finished, I can always tack one into the note itself, or use the updated date.

Well thanks for the "No", Jefito :). But maybe I wasn't clear enough. I don't need to know the date that an item was finished as you seem to be suggesting, but simply some indication that the item was finished at all. When you mark a reminder without date as done, the icon simply changes back to the "no reminder state", and it is up to you to remember that you already did this. This is strangely inconsistent with dated reminders (where the date gets crossed out to show you that it's done), and sure goes against the "remember everything" Evernote motto.

I use reminders without dates for tasks that have no specific due date but that I still want to be reminded of (indeed, to get them into the reminders list). Of course I could assign them them a made-up due date, but then again I would have to rely on my own memory to distinguish fake from real due dates.

So please, Evernote, could you invent an icon that represents "done" for non-dated reminders?

• Level 5*

My usual process is to just sling completed tasks -- dated or undated -- off to my Journal notebook when I'm done with them, after marking them as "Done". Some note types (I use a couple of standard note templates for work tasks) have a completion date field that I fill in, but that's usually overkill. If it's in the Journal, that means it's done (and usually out of sight of my normal note filters).

That works, but it almost defeats the purpose of having undated reminders... I could check them off in the reminders list, but then still have to go to the actual note and move it. Probably search for it too, first.

Hi Rense,

The Reminder feature in EN is a fairly recent addition and, as you've discovered, very basic. There are a lot of Forum Threads about the topic and I've linked to few below if you want to look through them.

Unless you willing to use a 3rd party app with Evernote, you're pretty much stuck with it as is. (Unfortunately.)

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/64871-determining-the-done-date-of-a-reminder/?fromsearch=1

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39963-reminder-search-filters/

That works, but it almost defeats the purpose of having undated reminders... I could check them off in the reminders list, but then still have to go to the actual note and move it. Probably search for it too, first.

Archived