MAC: Find and Replace?

keenerguy

Idea

It is utterly contemptible of Evernote to not include Find and Replace in the Mac version. You're forcing us to open Word, Pages or TextEdit, to complete a basic action. I don't see how your reply to Calion fits, Adjusting - he's right - in 2014, this is a basic function of all text editors and therefore should be included. Please tell me which great feature of Evernote I could use instead of Find and Replace? Let's see...in 5.4.3 you added the ability to ROTATE A PDF DOCUMENT IN THE MIDDLE OF A NOTE.... will that do it? 

• Like 1

Find and Replace is basic text editor functionality.

When you type in the search field, the search is performed against all your notes, plus inside attached images, PDFs and office documents. This is not basic text editor functionality.

Please be assured that we read the forums and are aware of the request.

...that's why text editors don't use the same code for Find and Find & Replace.

I'll purchase a year of Evernote premium for the first forum reader who can name a text editor written in the last decade that does not support Find & Replace but does support bold text (as an example). 

No fair writing your own feature-free editor.

• Like 3

Version 5.7.0

Premium feature: Context

• Context displays notes, articles, and people related to what you’re working on
  • View related articles from The Wall Street Journal and other sources and related people from LinkedIn and your business

Presentation Mode has been improved with a fresh look and new features

• Use the layout panel to navigate your presentation and add dividers
  • Images are now presented from screen-edge to screen-edge
  • Beautifully styled tables make your information stand out

Other improvements:

• Send messages to share notes and discuss things you’re working on without leaving Evernote
  • Bug and stability fixes

OBVIOUS MISSING THINGS THAT STILL PI** OFF MAC USERS BECAUSE EVERNOTE IS A ***** COMPANY:

• No Find and Replace for Mac OSX

Another +1 desperately needing find and replace in note - especially since some recent(ish) update of the Mac client has started doing weird (too clever for it's own good) things with my speech marks when I paste in (programming) code and queries - thus totally breaking them when I paste them back out... and I can't even do a find and replace to fix the speech marks. 

Meh.

• Like 1

Even after one year no reasonable respond from evernote. They keep quiet and go on with the next feature.

And they want Evernote to be used in school, business....????

How come that the Editor in Forum has the feature "find and replace"?

Think different ?

• Like 2

Hi Evernote, happy new year, when are you going to give Mac users Find and Replace? Can we get someone to give us a decent answer? Do you even have product managers? All we get is your team being rude to us

Us: "Hello ever note, can we have a common and useful feature available on OS X"?

Evernote : "Uh this is off-topic"

Why can't you be cool for a change

• Like 1

Hi Evernote, happy new year, when are you going to give Mac users Find and Replace? Can we get someone to give us a decent answer? Do you even have product managers? All we get is your team being rude to us

Us: "Hello ever note, can we have a common and useful feature available on OS X"?

Evernote : "Uh this is off-topic"

Why can't you be cool for a change

This is not the only limitation with EN.

About 2 years ago I sent a whole list with limitations but EN staff has deleted it

They do not accept criticism

Tables is also quite annoying. It is not usable in its present state.

Since Evernote now is providing official support to all users via Twitter, you might post your request on Twitter @evernotehelps.  Let me suggest a hashtag of #FindAndReplace

Uh, no. Evernote is a $300 million company. They have acquired 5 other companies. They have their own app eco-system marketplace.

If Phil, Dave and Co. can't be bothered to listen to their users in their own forums, I see zero value in "reaching out" to them to ask for a feature that I'm pretty sure was in Lotus Notes. 

I've paid for the pro version in the past, but not now. Migrating out...

• Level 5

Since Evernote now is providing official support to all users via Twitter, you might post your request on Twitter @evernotehelps.  Let me suggest a hashtag of #FindAndReplace

Uh, no. Evernote is a $300 million company. They have acquired 5 other companies. They have their own app eco-system marketplace.

If Phil, Dave and Co. can't be bothered to listen to their users in their own forums, I see zero value in "reaching out" to them to ask for a feature that I'm pretty sure was in Lotus Notes. 

Of course, you can certainly leave Evernote, but... JMichael's suggestion is a good one if you want to get an answer from an Evernote employee. The response on Twitter is fast and you will get the straight scoop from an actual employee. It is an attractive option especially since Evernote dropped support on the Evernote website for the free users.

This forum is mainly a forum for just the users. Occasionally someone from Evernote will drop by, but it is a gamble if they decide to respond to your question.

If the Twitter fast response continues, I expect more and more users will migrate over to twitter for assistance.

• Like 1

Of course, you can certainly leave Evernote, but... JMichael's suggestion is a good one if you want to get an answer from an Evernote employee. The response on Twitter is fast and you will get the straight scoop from an actual employee. It is an attractive option especially since Evernote dropped support on the Evernote website for the free users.

This forum is mainly a forum for just the users. Occasionally someone from Evernote will drop by, but it is a gamble if they decide to respond to your question.

If the Twitter fast response continues, I expect more and more users will migrate over to twitter for assistance.

Actually no – @evernotehelps just tells us to post here. See "Go pound sand".

Actually no. – @evernotehelps just tells us to post here. (see: https://twitter.com/evernotehelps/status/603978255805227008)Aka: "Go pound sand".

EXACTLY. While I appreciate your attempt at helpfulness User Numbers, I'm afraid you misunderstand the heart of my concern. I don't WANT to talk to an Evernote employee. I shouldn't NEED to talk to an Evernote emplyee. I didn't come to this forum to engage in dialogue. I came here because I wanted to do a simple -- SIMPLE -- find and replace, and was astounded to discover that the Evernote Mac client simply doesn't support this basic decades old functionality. What is the point of taking notes in a computer if i can't automate repeatable tasks?

This is not an open-source project. We are not opening issues on Github and submitting pull requests. This is an honest to God for-profit proprietary product that's been on the market for SEVEN YEARS. No find-and-replace in a Note Taking App? Unacceptable.
  • Like 2
  • Level 5*

Actually no – @evernotehelps just tells us to post here. See "Go pound sand".

Not exactly.  @evernotehelps did tell you that it is "being considered".  That's actually a lot more commitment that you will usually get from Evernote in these forums.

You might also consider including a link back to this thread/your post here in your tweet.

@moskovich I don't have an answer but can confirm that it's being considered. I encourage you to post on the forum: http://bit.ly/1sFzREb 

[snip]

I came here because I wanted to do a simple -- SIMPLE -- find and replace, and was astounded to discover that the Evernote Mac client simply doesn't support this basic decades old functionality. What is the point of taking notes in a computer if i can't automate repeatable tasks?

This is not an open-source project. We are not opening issues on Github and submitting pull requests. This is an honest to God for-profit proprietary product that's been on the market for SEVEN YEARS. No find-and-replace in a Note Taking App? Unacceptable.

Very well said. My astonishment / frustrations are identical. This is not some esoteric feature. It's like missing the "crop" feature in a photo editing app. 

• Level 5*

I've been using evernote for 5 years, can't believe it's taken until now to realize there's no replace. please add

I love that a feature you haven't missed for 5 years is really that key to you?

I've been using evernote for 5 years, can't believe it's taken until now to realize there's no replace. please add

I love that a feature you haven't missed for 5 years is really that key to you?

I didn't say it was key. I don't use Evernote as a text editor. I use Find & Replace in many other apps, but apparently not often in Evernote. Nevertheless, it seems like standard functionality for an app like Evernote, and it'd be nice to have.

• Level 5*

Find and Replace is a very common feature found in most text editors and word processors.

Given the below statement by the Evernote CEO last Oct 2014, I have to say I'm surprised it is not in EN Mac.

Evernote clearly has a long ways to go to be "the best place for writing".  F&R is just one of many features that are missing from Evernote to make it even a good writing tool

From Evernote Unveils Evernote Context by TechCrunch, Oct 2, 2014:

“We’ve tried to make the writing experience across all our clients really polished,” CEO Phil Libin said today. “Evernote wants to be the best place for writing.”

• Level 5*

Evernote is a terrible place for writing. You only have to use it for 5 minutes to know that.

My advice is to avoid the marketing nonsense and use the best app for the task you are trying to complete.

• Level 5*

While it may be "marketing nonsense", I tend to hold CEOs accountable for their statements.

IMO, that's different than marketing that one might see in ads or press releases.

I do use other tools for writing.  But that does not mean that Evernote should not provide basic features for any type of text editing like F&R.

• Level 5*

I wasn't assigning any value to the request, just pointing out that Evernote has a myriad of issues as a text editor.

The CEO of Evernote is a very capable marketeer and his statements make for great click bait, I've found that they rarely carry much genuine weight.

Nice people at Evernote

We are in 2015 (!) and at least since 2012 people are begging for a simple "Find & Replace" in Evernote...

A quick search for this subject inside Evernote forums returns:

About 719 results (0.36 seconds)

Should we wait patiently for next millennium or is this a subtle note to say you don't want more Evernote users in Mac OS X ?

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Just popping in to say that if and when Find and Replace is ever implemented, that you also add it to the Windows app as well. :)

It's already in EN Win:  Edit > Find and Replace

Just thought I note that this same feature was requested in Feb 2012 in another thread:

REQUEST: Find and replace

Or 2009.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/7186-archived-find-and-replace/

Been a Pro customer for several years now but just recently switched to a Mac.  It's kinda goofy that I have to copy and paste out to TextEdit, make my changes and then paste it back in.  How difficult is single Note F&R?  It seems like something someone could accomplish in a quick hackathon.

Guessing everyone at EN uses PCs?  (Or Google Keep?)

• Level 5*

Actually I think a lot of EN employees use a Mac.

I think the issue is that they are too busy:

• Fixing bugs introduced in the prior release
  • Adding stuff most of us don't need/want (Work Chat, EN Context, etc)
  • Like 1

Actually I think a lot of EN employees use a Mac.

I would agree with that. Simple features like find & replace and horribly implemented features like EN's sync-conflict resolution should REALLY be added/fixed before largely useless features like Work Chat are added.

I would agree with that. Simple features like find & replace and horribly implemented features like EN's sync-conflict resolution should REALLY be added/fixed before largely useless features like Work Chat are added.

Cannot agree more with both of you. It's just a crazy when companies think that "the more features: the better" are the thing for the user; it's not. Let's look to MS Word: horrible GUI with dozens of features that nobody uses.

Evernote team: Don't build "halfway solution". Instead of build "half solution" which works smoothly and covers the core needs. Like mentioned in this thread already there has been lately too many crazy-cool-features that are useless to most of us and we are still lacking some core basic features.

Mentoer- what is it you trying to say?? what is "this web" ?

The web interface, not the web. I was just indicating that a simple fortum editor has this functionality, while a complex software product like evernote doesn't.

I’m using evernote to organize a story I’m writing.  I have notebooks for places, characters and world building and it's really nice to have easy access to all my notes all in one place.  

Recently I’ve decided to change the name of a character and I really don’t want to have to do that manually, (nor do I want to open up pages to do it).  I understand the concern for replacing a word in one note and having it change in places you don’t want but wouldn’t it be simple to add an option where you can specify which notes and notebooks you want to change?

+1 for find and replace. 

I'm evaluating Evernote Business now with a limited # of users from my company. I too agree (strongly) that this is an absolutely must have for a note taking application. Truly disappointing. This, as others have mentioned, is among many basic features that are missing from Evernote. 

+1 (+23 of our potential users)  

Regards, 

Matt 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, bendistraw said:

Copy/ paste it is I guess.

That's a good approach to handling these things.  

I'm glad to see you didn't add scorn and derision towards the EN people, and say you'll pay for the service when EN adds this feature; as other's did in this thread, and in the forum when they want a feature added.

You might also use the voting button in the upper left corner.

So it's 7 years on from the first request, and Find and Replace still doesn't exist in the Mac version.  I had considered storing lots of large articles in Evernote, but without Find and Replace it isn't much more useful than a scribble pad to me.  That, coupled with the blandness and lack of colour in the interface...  I check every few weeks to see if there are any alternatives out there, but nothing quite yet.  I'd never use OneNote.

• Level 5*
On 1/10/2016 at 3:12 PM, JMichaelTX said:

I encourage everyone who wants this feature to go to the top of this page, and click on the "Vote up" button.

There are 73 replies to this thread, but only 10 up votes so far.

If you really want this feature, you need to vote for it.

On 1/22/2016 at 3:46 PM, JMichaelTX said:

There are 73 replies to this thread, but only 10 up votes so far.

If you really want this feature, you need to vote for it.

Wow! If you do in fact speak for Evernote, thanks for telling a bunch of your concerned, probably dues-paying customers they just got Punk'd by the "reliability" of an internet comment board "up-vote" system. You should put this feature in because it's a good ***** idea and because it would be easy for you, not because of some inane internet popularity contest. Case closed. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 hours ago, A.D. Midland said:

Wow! If you do in fact speak for Evernote, thanks for telling a bunch of your concerned, probably dues-paying customers they just got Punk'd by the "reliability" of an internet comment board "up-vote" system

I do NOT speak for Evernote.  I'm just another paying customer who would also like this "Find and Replace" feature.

The voting feature is brand new in these forums.  It remains to be seen whether or not it has any impact on the design decisions made by Evernote.
But it at least gives us an opportunity to quantify our requests.

Even a simple find & replace (without support for RegExp or wildcards etc.) would be of tremendous help...

I use the Windows version of Evernote for this one thing and this one thing only. Truly ridiculous now that the feature request has existed for more than two years now...

You never know what you need until you have to use it. I've been using Evernote on Windows and Mac for years as a paid subscriber and for the first time, I tried to use this feature today on the Mac version and was flummoxed when I couldn't find it. This stands at the top of "missed requirement" on the software development scale. Heck, I was learning Search and Replace on text editors on my old Apple IIe in grade school

I realize that features need to be assigned based on demand; however, there are times when a feature is so basic to the genre that not having it in a product makes it a laughing stock, despite demand. It's like having a spreadsheet app that doesn't allow for division. This is like that..

• Like 1

My workaround has been to select all in a note, copy to textedit (or notepad for windows), do my search and replace there, select all and copy in that app and then paste back in evernote.

It's fairly quick, though I think unnecessary.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mannycastaneda said:

It's like having a spreadsheet app that doesn't allow for division.

That feature has been demanded also
The current vote for this feature is 37