• Announcements

• Shane D.

Announcing 'Spaces' for Evernote Business!   02/27/2018

Hi All, We're very excited to announce the launch of Spaces for Evernote Business! I invite you to find more details and learn more in our most recent Community Announcement! 
    • Shane D.

Code of Conduct   03/26/2018

Hi All, The updated version of the Code of Conduct has been implemented, and you will need to accept those terms before proceeding. If you would like to review the Code of Conduct, you can do so Here
    • Shane D.

Update to Evernote Subscription Plans   04/12/2018

Hi All, We've made some updates to our Evernote subscription plans. To learn more, please see the 'Update to Evernote Subscription Plans' thread in the Community Announcements forum, or you can go here.

Idea

What about for mac users? I can't find any way to do a find-and-replace on a Mac.

Edited by jefito
Mac content split from Windows-specific topic
  • Like 8

285 replies to this idea

16 minutes ago, oraclejavanet said:

Their development / management team has obviously made a conscious decision that they have no intent on improving their product on the Mac platform.

It may be obvious to you.
I'm busy testing/reviewing the Mac improvements in v6.11

edited

Still no indication of Find and Replace

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Sounds like you have the inside dope on this--do tell. (If there's nothing to tell, don't worry, I'm sure you're still a cool dude/dudette.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oraclejavanet said:

there are no more excuses that EN can provide that holds water

Hadn't noticed Evernote providing any "excuses".  They tend to get on with developing their products,  listening to user feedback,  and implementing features that seem to them most cost effective to adopt. 

This is not a democratic process.  Evernote have the exclusive power to introduce as many - or as few - changes to their products as they wish;  users can continue to subscribe, or not, as they wish.  No explanations or excuses required on either side.

47 minutes ago, DTLow said:

edited

Still no indication of Find and Replace

Although Find and Replace hasn't made it to Mac 6.11 / Beta 1, the update (and the link to the release notes) is much appreciated. This is valuable information that will allow me to decide on a product that best coincides with my use case (which as of today, I've already made that decision).

7 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hadn't noticed Evernote providing any "excuses".  They tend to get on with developing their products,  listening to user feedback,  and implementing features that seem to them most cost effective to adopt. 

This is not a democratic process.  Evernote have the exclusive power to introduce as many - or as few - changes to their products as they wish;  users can continue to subscribe, or not, as they wish.  No explanations or excuses required on either side.

The excuse I am referring to is your constant mention of the 'common editor' and the time and effort they put into it. Implementing Find/Replace is trivial, easy, simple, straightforward, etc. If they were truly looking at cost / benefit, they would have knocked this out of the park long ago and saved a lot of frustrations that are clearly documented in this thread.

You are correct, this is not a democratic process and EN does have exclusive power to introduce or ignore feature requests. What EN has to understand is that they are no longer the only player in market now. Users now have the option to abandon EN for something like OneNote (what I consider the two leaders in this niche market). I express once again that there are pros and cons to each product. To ignore such a trivial request may be at their own peril. Implementing features that user's are not asking for (Mac v6.11 / Beta 1), reckless and incompetent. Purposely ignore a segment of your user base, other companies will seize on this opportunity. I truly want EN to succeed. There are many great features in the product. Plus, (although not specifically an EN feature), I love the fact that I can run a third party EN client (NixNote) on my Linux machines. Unfortunately, their decision making process (which is an absolute mystery) is a true embarrassment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oraclejavanet said:

your constant mention of the 'common editor' and the time and effort they put into it.

As an Android user I keep seeing iOS apps I'd like to try out (the grass is always greener...) but when I post a query for the developers they almost always reply that they won't be developing for other platforms until they have their iOS product firmly (and presumably successfully) established.  That's for an existing iOS product that 'just' needs recoding to work in Android.  Companies won't risk doing that unless and until they have the cash flow and resources to support the work involved.

Evernote had existing and popular products in five major operating systems which all included differently coded editors written by different teams.  They came up with a method to provide an editor module that could be fitted into all five applications.  I'd guess that all the applications required a serious degree of re-editing to allow the editor to fit.  They were doing this while still servicing somewhere north of 100M users who - you may have noticed - tend to get tetchy if things don't work too well.

That's not something they could knock off in someone's lunchtime,  and I think it's a pretty good achievement which they've actually mentioned once to my knowledge themselves - a bit like the "Oh and by the way we moved 2 billion user documents from our servers to Google's" that they included in the blog the other day.

I tend to mention it to put in perspective all the glib "It's such a simple change" comments folks tend to make - something else I may have mentioned once or twice before..  managing Evernote is a bit like steering an oil tanker.  If you're planning to change direction you can't just do a quick u-turn and head back the other way.  Change is slow,  and something you need to plan for well in advance.  Evernote clearly think in terms of years for some projects.

The sort of feature you want may well be in the pipeline,  but whatever we say here,  no-one is going to know about it until Evernote decide to deliver.

10 minutes ago, gazumped said:

As an Android user I keep seeing iOS apps I'd like to try out (the grass is always greener...) but when I post a query for the developers they almost always reply that they won't be developing for other platforms until they have their iOS product firmly (and presumably successfully) established.  That's for an existing iOS product that 'just' needs recoding to work in Android.  Companies won't risk doing that unless and until they have the cash flow and resources to support the work involved.

Evernote had existing and popular products in five major operating systems which all included differently coded editors written by different teams.  They came up with a method to provide an editor module that could be fitted into all five applications.  I'd guess that all the applications required a serious degree of re-editing to allow the editor to fit.  They were doing this while still servicing somewhere north of 100M users who - you may have noticed - tend to get tetchy if things don't work too well.

That's not something they could knock off in someone's lunchtime,  and I think it's a pretty good achievement which they've actually mentioned once to my knowledge themselves - a bit like the "Oh and by the way we moved 2 billion user documents from our servers to Google's" that they included in the blog the other day.

I tend to mention it to put in perspective all the glib "It's such a simple change" comments folks tend to make - something else I may have mentioned once or twice before..  managing Evernote is a bit like steering an oil tanker.  If you're planning to change direction you can't just do a quick u-turn and head back the other way.  Change is slow,  and something you need to plan for well in advance.  Evernote clearly think in terms of years for some projects.

The sort of feature you want may well be in the pipeline,  but whatever we say here,  no-one is going to know about it until Evernote decide to deliver.

Some good points, but, c'mon, man, adding Find & Replace can't be that hard....can it?! I mean, it's been part of word processors etc. for a long time. And it's so useful for a program like this, it would seem to be a no brainer. 

This is a must-have feature, so I came here to upvote this idea.

Evernote Mac Team: This much needed functionality was requested in 2013, so we are going to get it any time soon, right?

5 hours ago, jaume said:

This is a must-have feature, so I came here to upvote this idea.

Evernote Mac Team: This much needed functionality was requested in 2013, so we are going to get it any time soon, right?

Don't hold your breath...

5 hours ago, jaume said:

so we are going to get it any time soon, right?

Never say Never but Evernote has not indicated an interest in implementing this feature

4 hours ago, emmjayess said:

Don't hold your breath...

Ditto. I finally cancelled my Premium Membership as did my Son. This company doesn't deserve a dime for its foolishness and complete incompetency in not implementing what is a trivial coding task and part of any text processing application. Every upvote for this feature since 2013 has fallen on deaf ears. What Evernote fails to understand is that to remain relevant in today's cloud-based market, it is essential to have broad cross-platform compatibility with a native client. And yes, this includes Linux! If Evernote put more of an emphasis on the quality and compatibility of their code base rather than their merchandising and collecting data, we would see better things coming out of Redwood City, CA.

• Like 2

On 2017-03-18 at 2:32 PM, AyushSharma said:

Are you guys planning on doing something about this at all?

To date, Evernote has not indicated any plans to implement find/replace on the Mac platform

On 3/18/2017 at 5:32 PM, AyushSharma said:

Are you guys planning on doing something about this at all? It's 2017, d*****! This thread has been going back years!

Unfortunately Evernote has no intentions on implementing this trivial feature. Evernote's management and development team has made a conscious decision to ignore what has been years of requests in two different forums and attempts to contact them directly. Without competition, EN is free to ignore its customer base and make no effort on producing cross-platform quality code. OneNote does bring with it a much more advanced editor with features that Evernote would never be able to produce; however, it too does not have Find and Replace (at least this was my experience on the Mac version of OneNote). I thought of switching to OneNote, however, in my opinion it would be a wash. My primary drivers are a MacBook Pro and a Linux Mint workstation.

Evernote is simply too small of a company to take on the demands of a true enterprise organization. Until we see more competition in this niche market, I believe this will continue to remain status quo.

23 minutes ago, oraclejavanet said:

Evernote's management and development team has made a conscious decision to ignore what has been years of requests in two different forums

Did they publish this momentous decision somewhere?  I must have missed that.  

I understand the frustration that lots of groups experience when their preferred fixes aren't implemented despite apparent significant support.  But despite the heat this forum sometimes generates,  it isn't the only place from which Evernote get their customer feedback.  There are so many current requests that no matter what new feature Evernote introduces next, a significant number of users will scream that their much more worthy requests have been ignored.

Evernote will undertake whatever they consider to be the most cost-effective projects for their company in their own time.  If at any stage that doesn't include some process that you require,  then if you can find a better option,  you should probably take it.

Meantime there's only work-arounds and making-do.

1 minute ago, gazumped said:

Did they publish this momentous decision somewhere?  I must have missed that.  

I understand the frustration that lots of groups experience when their preferred fixes aren't implemented despite apparent significant support.  But despite the heat this forum sometimes generates,  it isn't the only place from which Evernote get their customer feedback.  There are so many current requests that no matter what new feature Evernote introduces next, a significant number of users will scream that their much more worthy requests have been ignored.

Evernote will undertake whatever they consider to be the most cost-effective projects for their company in their own time.  If at any stage that doesn't include some process that you require,  then if you can find a better option,  you should probably take it.

Meantime there's only work-arounds and making-do.

It's simple - deductive reasoning.

The very fact that you would imply EN publishing a decision 'they clearly made' on this issue in a public forum would be preposterous. This statement shows you are trivializing the context of what is being discussed regarding the request. What is "true" is that it doesn't take years to implement such a trivial request.

Now, you may or may not be a Software Engineer. I don't know; but I am. I have been developing software for over 25 years in a number of capacities: Computer Scientist, Mathematics Programming / Cryptologist, and Data Scientist. Anyone with the most basic understanding of software development knows that Find/Replace is not some type of esoteric feature that doesn't already exist in nearly every text editor developed since the 70's. You use the term "cost-effective projects". This request "is not a project". It is a simple task request that can be accomplished by any one of their developers. Does their VCS not support branching for bug fixes?!?!?

It's possible that Evernote is attempting to set some type of world record for the only text editor in modern times to not include what would take at most several days to implement. As I've said before, I'll give them a week for full unit testing. What makes this more of a joke is that I have to assume their IDE has Find/Replace!!!! Good enough for them, but not good enough for their Mac user base. Not sure here, arrogance or incompetency?

What I have learned about the company is that they have a clear mission and that is to continue efforts on merchandising, data collection, and investing in pet projects that does nothing to improve the quality of their native client. Developing quality / cross-platform code that meets the demands of an enterprise level cloud-based service appears to be beyond their capabilities. Else, it would have been done so years ago and a saved themselves this embarrassment.

What's more saddening is their choice of Anirban Kundu as their new CTO (replacing Dave Engberg). While a distinguished and ambitious engineer, he hasn't demonstrated a willingness to fully understand that if Evernote wants to remain relevant in today's cloud-based market, he needs to dedicate resources to improving (or in this case, finishing) core features of what should be a broad cross-platform compatibility in their native client. Unfortunately, he has tunnel vision on his pet project (cross-sell and up-sell recommendations using machine learning) and continues to invest a disproportionate amount of resources to it instead of making efforts in improving the quality, performance, and cross-platform capabilities of the native client. Again, a wonderful initiative to introduce A.I. functionality into Evernote, However, in the meantime, dedicate resources to fix the outstanding issues with your native. What good is this new functionality if the client is a mess?

One has to wonder, does EN have a business model or is this a college campus full of academics running the show!

With (genuinely) no intended disrespect,  Evernote is a project larger than any you may have ever been involved with.  They service a user group larger than a small country (like Japan) and I'd imagine Rule #1 is: don't mess up the status quo*.  Ever.  

It's also been suggested in another thread that a good tactic would be to have a 'hit squad' of techs dedicated to minor fixes special projects such as this one - and that could even exist - but given the thousands of requests (and Rule #1) it might take a little while to get around to this one.

* Note I didn't say their success record in this respect was that good...

Desperately needed. I have 20k notes, and some of mine are similar, but named differently, It would be great to search titles for specific words/acronyms, to change, as well as search for tags and rename those.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, enigma2me said:

as well as search for tags and rename those.

Renaming tags is a completely different function, and supported in Evernote
The tag is renamed using the tag page; the change is reflected in all notes

On 2017-03-28 at 7:29 AM, enigma2me said:

Desperately needed. I have 20k notes, and some of mine are similar, but named differently, It would be great to search titles for specific words/acronyms, to change

Since we're working on Macs, you could script this with Applescript 
I used this to update the titles on 2000+ notes    FindReplace.scpt

tell application "Evernote"

set theNotes to selection
    repeat with theNote in theNotes

set theModdate to modification date of theNote
        set theTitle to title of theNote

--  Replace " Bank - " with " "
       --  Prefix with "Banking "

set theDelim to AppleScript's text item delimiters      
        set AppleScript's text item delimiters to the " Bank - "
        set the item_list to every text item of theTitle
        set AppleScript's text item delimiters to " "
        set
theTitle to "Banking " & item_list as string

set title of theNote to theTitle
        set modification date of theNote to theModdate

end repeat
end tell

• Like 2

I hope my baby can use Evernote with the feature "Find and Replace" at school to save time 10 years later.

I hope my baby can read in Evernote with the feature "Change Background Color" to protect her eyes 15 years later.

In front of politics, our parents failed.

In front of Evernote, our generation failed.

From 2013 to 2017,time is so cruel~ always…

So I dare not ask too much...I just hope:

God Bless Our Babies!!!

God Bless Evernote!!!

58f0a93f3b635_EvernoteNewFeatureReleased!.jpg.dc7e46cb485b95459f79496ae32db114.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dissenter said:

I hope my baby can read in Evernote with the feature "Change Background Color" to protect her eyes 15 years later.

You can set the background colour in tables58f1122e03392_ScreenShot2017-04-14at11_16_59AM.png.d32a14f95a0fdddb5f4a5d14e0b12f89.png

This can be a simple one column table;
I find it useful to have a second column on the right side; it makes better use of the emptywhitespace in a note

So many repeated requests and not even the courtesy of an explanation. EN is either grossly understaffed or arrogant. Either way, it reflects badly on CEO and Board. Good feelings about the product and trust in the company are fading.

3 minutes ago, PaoloAltobas said:

So many repeated requests and not even the courtesy of an explanation.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your ranting

22 hours ago, DTLow said:

Don't let the facts get in the way of your ranting

DTLow - Thank you. Sorry. Even more embarrassing, I follow this thread and have posted to it before. Mindless expression of exasperation. Thank you for your contributions.

Here we are. 4 years after this discussion opened, find and replace - a basic functionality is still missing on Evernote Mac.

Could it be that they are not a viable business any more and in maintenance mode?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Atrius said:

Could it be that they are not a viable business any more and in maintenance mode?

My opinion is that Evernote believes there are more important projects for the developers,
however if you really believed that Why are you interested in this product?

I found a workaround:

- Copy into Microsoft Word

- Search and replace

- Just keep using Microsoft Word, because really, this is just sad

(I'm a premium Evernote user, been using it for years, and I'm sure I will keep using it, but come on guys.)

• Like 1

On 7/1/2017 at 4:41 PM, Paferg said:

I found a workaround:

- Search and replace

- Just keep using Microsoft Word, because really, this is just sad

(I'm a premium Evernote user, been using it for years, and I'm sure I will keep using it, but come on guys.)

Don't hold your breath. After 4 years, you would think that this 'easy to implement' functionality would be available for Mac users. Worst support team ever!

On 2017-07-01 at 오후 1시 41분, Paferg said:

I found a workaround:

- Search and replace

- Just keep using Microsoft Word

This would be my approach, store the document as an attachment to the note
Generally, I use the Evernote editor for short notes and dedicated apps for more serious work

Another vote for find and replace - I've been a premium user for years. It's a simple update and needs to be implemented - copy and pasting into other apps is just not acceptable.

• Like 1

On 2017-09-05 at 6:47 PM, godsoloved24 said:

I'm perfectly happy to find alternatives to your service

So far Evernote hasn't indicated this is a priority for development.  So good bye and good luck.

For myself, I'm still happy using Evernote as my digital file.   Find&Replace is not a feature I require for simple notes

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

For myself, I'm happy using Evernote as my digital file.  This is not a feature I require for notes

Well, I'm glad you're happy with what you have.

Many of us, including myself, use Evernote for a variety of purposes.  I use it not only as my digital filing cabinet, but also to write and edit a number of simple notes that I don't want to switch out to a word processor to do.  I do believe that Find and Replace is in every other text editor I know of, certainly in all that I use.

• Often I will capture a web page that I need to replace all of a certain term with another term.
  • I build and maintain a number of Public Notes for friends to use
  • I build and maintain a number of Public Notes as user guides.
  • and more.

I'm not leaving because Evernote doesn't have F&R, but it sure would be very, very useful if it did.

Just my 2¢.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Well, I'm glad you're happy with what you have.

Many of us, including myself, use Evernote for a variety of purposes.  I use it not only as my digital filing cabinet, but also to write and edit a number of simple notes that I don't want to switch out to a word processor to do.  I do believe that Find and Replace is in every other text editor I know of, certainly in all that I use.

• Often I will capture a web page that I need to replace all of a certain term with another term.
  • I build and maintain a number of Public Notes for friends to use
  • I build and maintain a number of Public Notes as user guides.
  • and more.

I'm not leaving because Evernote doesn't have F&R, but it sure would be very, very useful if it did.

Just my 2¢.

Ditto that, so make it 4¢

Just for the record, I switched to Apple Notes. All my notes could be imported. Yes, it not cross-platform. But it does the job well and has basic editing features that I need to write notes. Plus the interface is simple and looks nice. 

Highly suggest others do the same.  

11 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I use it not only as my digital filing cabinet, but also to write and edit a number of simple notes that I don't want to switch out to a word processor to do.

Same for me; I find the editor adequate for simple notes, but for more serious work, I switch out to dedicated apps like word processing or spreadsheet apps

Its not just find&replace; I also need extended features like styles, tables, outlines, ...

I encourage all users to make use of alternate editors and not be restricted by the limitations of the Evernote editor

On 26/01/2017 at 4:58 AM, amanda_h said:

As a support team, we always welcome feedback and requests for features, and pass these along to the development and management teams. We understand Find & Replace is a feature a lot of users want, and our development team is aware of this as well. While the dev team doesn't always have time to reply to feature request threads, your votes do have an impact on what they discuss for future implementation. However, feature requests are just that, requests. We do not promise to add requested features.

The Customer Support team does not have the ability to give you additional information behind why the development team has not implemented this as a feature, because we don't work behind the scenes to understand exactly what kind of manpower is needed to do so. We also do not share our timeline for the release of future feature additions.

How nice of you to reply. Except that apart from the flowery words and the obviously carefully treaded wordings to avoid any responsibilities or liabilities, you have shown two things essentially.

1. This forum, the ticket system, that was designed and managed by your department, does not communicate with the Engineering dept. Communication implies 2 ways communication, but from your flowery language, such is not the case. You are nothing but a pretty faced receptionists who takes messages and relay them to their mailboxes, who may or may not read them.

2.  Due to the typographical difference of your departments, your department is essentially unable to speak for the brand in any developmental capacity, nor speaking for the Engineering department, nor authorized in answering any technical questions, nor providing time tables toward any particular developmental goals. Thus explaining the robotic polite response template as we have read over the past few years. (English isn't my first language, is it true that Americans call this as "blowing off someone", or "jerking someone off"?)

Furthermore, through my observations/:

3. The issue has been raised from this thread since August 2013, which is over 4 years ago. And during this time, we have seen many changes in EverNote, both minor cosmetic changes, and major architectural changes alike. But it has been ignored or continued to be considered a lower priority. Then it would be quite fair to assume that any thing is considered higher priority than fulfilling this feature request, for an indefinite future. Which is another way of saying, it is unlikely that it will ever happen.

4. The complexity of EverNote is minuscule compared to Quantum Mechanics or engineering marvels like the LHC, I hope you have at least the sincerity to admitting to that. Despite such simplicity, a company with nearly 200 staff, owning a building tower of your own, owning as much resources as you have had yet in 4 years, you are incapable of fulfilling this feature request? Not even to acknowledge EverNote has this deficiency? Not even to provide a time table of when it will happen? When any one have come to realise this fact, one must dawn upon the truth by seeing the true colors of the company and culture you represent. It was never about developing a useful tool to meet the user's needs, but rather about how users and the naive are used to fuel the elephantine ego and to serve every whims of the white elephant god.

Conclusion:

I have subscribed to membership with Ulysses today, somehow I find the butterfly cult more accommodating and loving.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2017 at 7:47 AM, kiddo said:

@Kiddo , I could not have said it better myself!  I do *not* remember any editors that did not have find and replace.  I have worked on UNIX Release 6, which did not have any screen editors .  They had ed , with  find and replace, using regular expressions no less!!!!  Even EDLIN on msdos had search and replace.

There are a couple of work arounds.  One is to install Wine on your MAC and install the Windows version.  The Windows version does have find and replace but apparently Macs are poor relations in this scenario.

I have an idea! How about laying off  the entire Mac team and hiring a new team to port the Windows version?  I would include some Evernote executives in the layoffs as well.

On 9/7/2017 at 7:47 AM, kiddo said:

How nice of you to reply. Except that apart from the flowery words and the obviously carefully treaded wordings to avoid any responsibilities or liabilities, you have shown two things essentially.

1. This forum, the ticket system, that was designed and managed by your department, does not communicate with the Engineering dept. Communication implies 2 ways communication, but from your flowery language, such is not the case. You are nothing but a pretty faced receptionists who takes messages and relay them to their mailboxes, who may or may not read them.

2.  Due to the typographical difference of your departments, your department is essentially unable to speak for the brand in any developmental capacity, nor speaking for the Engineering department, nor authorized in answering any technical questions, nor providing time tables toward any particular developmental goals. Thus explaining the robotic polite response template as we have read over the past few years. (English isn't my first language, is it true that Americans call this as "blowing off someone", or "jerking someone off"?)

Furthermore, through my observations/:

3. The issue has been raised from this thread since August 2013, which is over 4 years ago. And during this time, we have seen many changes in EverNote, both minor cosmetic changes, and major architectural changes alike. But it has been ignored or continued to be considered a lower priority. Then it would be quite fair to assume that any thing is considered higher priority than fulfilling this feature request, for an indefinite future. Which is another way of saying, it is unlikely that it will ever happen.

4. The complexity of EverNote is minuscule compared to Quantum Mechanics or engineering marvels like the LHC, I hope you have at least the sincerity to admitting to that. Despite such simplicity, a company with nearly 200 staff, owning a building tower of your own, owning as much resources as you have had yet in 4 years, you are incapable of fulfilling this feature request? Not even to acknowledge EverNote has this deficiency? Not even to provide a time table of when it will happen? When any one have come to realise this fact, one must dawn upon the truth by seeing the true colors of the company and culture you represent. It was never about developing a useful tool to meet the user's needs, but rather about how users and the naive are used to fuel the elephantine ego and to serve every whims of the white elephant god.

Conclusion:

I have subscribed to membership with Ulysses today, somehow I find the butterfly cult more accommodating and loving.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2017 at 7:03 AM, cameronreilly said:

Anyway, I found the instructions for the textedit hack that someone mentioned in this thread a few years ago (in case anyone else wants to try it). Works well, I just tested it. Maintains formatting, embedded images, etc.

Would you mind pointing us to the exact steps to use this?

Thanks.

18 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Would you mind pointing us to the exact steps to use this?

Thanks.

CMD-A the text of the note you want to edit.

Right Click inside the note then Services ▹ New TextEdit Window Containing Selection".  

Then in TextEdit "Edit ▹ Find ▹ Find & Replace".  

Then copy all and paste back over selection in Evernote.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cameronreilly said:

I’d be concerned  this cutting/pasting might mess with the content?

I’d prefer a direct edit of the content.enml file; I use a script to identify the folder

My preferred process is to be working in a document attached to the note, for example a Word document.  My actual notes tend to be short and simple.

3 hours ago, cameronreilly said:

CMD-A the text of the note you want to edit.

Right Click inside the note then Services ▹ New TextEdit Window Containing Selection".  

Then in TextEdit "Edit ▹ Find ▹ Find & Replace".  

Thank you! This should prove handy until the Evernote team gets off their collective a**!!

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Yes, that is a BIG concern.  It is one, of many, reasons why we need Evernote Mac (like Evernote Win) to fully support Find & Replace.

If they already have the  Find & Repalce code for EN Win, it seems like the design is known, and a port to Mac should not be that hard.  Or so it seems to me.

WOW. I think this is probably it for me. I can't fathom what kind of company would make paying members BEG for such a basic feature. +1

On 14.9.2017 at 4:38 AM, DTLow said:

I’d prefer a direct edit of the content.enml file; I use a script to identify the folder

My preferred process is to be working in a document attached to the note, for example a Word document.  My actual notes tend to be short and simple.

good point - but not working on mobile devices. unfortunately. (attachments are „opened in“ -> duplicated, at least on iOS).

And I‘m working on iOS about 50% of my time...

8 minutes ago, stocky2605 said:

good point - but not working on mobile devices. unfortunately. (attachments are „opened in“ -> duplicated, at least on iOS).

And I‘m working on iOS about 50% of my time...

Agreed.  Mac/Win handle attachments so well; IOS sucks so badly

It's an Apple thing.  It works better if I store the document in an iCloud folder and include a link in the note

• Like 1

On 9/13/2017 at 5:48 AM, HRudy said:

Thanks. I was quite frustrated beyond comprehension. I don't care anymore whether EN will ever implement this feature anymore. But I check on this thread from time to time just to satisfy my curiosity if they ever will make the implementation. But I wouldn't hold my breath. It's 2018, and we are very close to curing AIDS, colonizing Mars is on the horizon, true artificial intelligence and quantum computing are transforming our world as we speak, I'd say it's more likely that EverNote bankrupts or I have been long dead before this gets implemented.

Even in my death, I would still have this undying curiosity towards the true reason behind this mystery. There was another mystery, I wondered if this forum was made just to divert people like us off their backs. I've realized by now the answer to this one.

2 hours ago, kiddo said:

I wondered if this forum was made just to divert people like us off their backs. I've realized by now the answer to this one.

What does this mean; divert people?

These forums were made by Evernote for user discussions; this specific forum is for product feedback and feature requests (Mac)

Where would I be posting if not here?
There is a reddit forum at https://www.reddit.com/r/Evernote/

Like everyone else, I am baffled by the lack of search and replace in Evernote. Both search and replace in a single note and across notes make a lot of sense. 

Anyone know if this is possible via AppleScript since Evernote seems not to care about users? 

On 2018-03-13 at 1:12 PM, michaelbierman said:

Anyone know if this is possible via AppleScript

Yes, search and replace would be do-able  in Applescript.  

You can also do a direct edit of the note's .enml file. 

General Evernote Applescript documentation at

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Yes, search and replace would be do-able  in Applescript.  It would require a direct edit of the note's .enml file

Any resources or code samples you could point me to so I can figure out how to do this? 

On 2018-03-13 at 1:53 PM, michaelbierman said:

Any resources or code samples you could point me to so I can figure out how to do this? 

With my solution, you're editing file <some folder>/content.enml using your favourite editor.  I use Textastic

The script I use to identify <some folder> is documented here 

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

You're editing file <some folder>/content.enml using your favourite editor.  I use Textastic

The script I use to identify <some folder> is below
Evernote_Note_Folder.scpt
Note, the database folder is hardcoded; update this for your own installation

Thanks for sharing.

To All:   Caution:  This leads you to directly accessing the Evernote SQLite database, and to directly editing the file containing the Note's contents.

• Proceed carefully -- this could result in loss of data, even your entire Evernote database.
  • BEFORE you proceed, I recommend that you make backup copies of these files:
    • the SQLite database (LocalNoteStore.sqlite)
    • the Note Contents (content.enml)

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

Note, the database folder is hardcoded; update this for your own installation

Also, for my account, running Evernote 6.11.1 (455059) on macOS 10.12.6, the SQLite DB is NOT in a folder as indicated in your script:
set databaseFile to databaseFolder & "localNoteStore/LocalNoteStore.sqlite"

So I had to change this to:
set databaseFile to databaseFolder & "LocalNoteStore.sqlite"

2018-03-13_22-05-46.png.7f851bdabb4844ed89d5ec44540415a8.png

On 2018-03-13 at 7:58 PM, JMichaelTX said:

BEFORE you proceed, I recommend that you make backup copies of these files:

Backups are always a good idea.  As well as Mac TimeMachine, I also run personal backups using Evernote's export feature;  daily incremental and weekly full.

Also the master version of my data is maintained on the Evernote servers.  I can use this to rebuild my local copy of the database.  Evernote also maintains a Note History backup that can be used to restore versions of notes.

On 3/13/2018 at 3:32 PM, DTLow said:

Thanks this is really helpful. However, I don't have anything under ~/Library/Application Support/ like "com.evernote.Evernote/..."

You're editing file <some folder>/content.enml using your favourite editor.  I use Textastic

Note, the database folder is hardcoded; update this for your own installation; edit I'm using EN  v7.1 Beta 1 (456297 Direct)

The data you're accessing is a copy of the master version maintained on the Evernote servers.  After verifying my update, l make a dummy change (like adding a space in the note).  This ensures the update gets registered and sync'd to the server

5aa876c050cbb_ScreenShot2018-03-13at18_10_15.png.cd82d162cea73a72666506f1fc251392.png

1 hour ago, michaelbierman said:

I don't have anything under ~/Library/Application Support/ like "com.evernote.Evernote/..."

To use this script, you have to identify the location for your database

As noted I'm using Evernote version v7.1 Beta 1 (456297 Direct).  I suspect you're using the App Store version; I don't know if the app store version works with Applescript

To identify my database location5aa9c96f2274d_ScreenShot2018-03-14at18_12_12.png.47ef21fd1113ad877935af0256a71906.png I use
Option Key Help > Troubleshooting > Open Database Folder

13 hours ago, DTLow said:

You are correct, I'm using the production version which also doesn't have the troubleshooting menu you mention. :(

To use this script, you have to identify the location for your database

As noted I'm using Evernote version v7.1 Beta 1 (456297 Direct).  I suspect you're using the App Store version; I don't know if the app store version works with Applescript

To identify my database location5aa9c96f2274d_ScreenShot2018-03-14at18_12_12.png.47ef21fd1113ad877935af0256a71906.png I use
Option Key Help > Troubleshooting > Open Database Folder

6 minutes ago, michaelbierman said:

You are correct, I'm using the production version which also doesn't have the troubleshooting menu you mention. :(

Hold down the option key while selecting the Help menu

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Did you hold down the option key while selecting the Help menu

AH! I did not know that trick. Thank you! 

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Did you hold down the option key while selecting the Help menu

19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

In his post above, @JMichaelTX included an image of his database folder.  If you post a similar image I will verify the location of your database.

I'm quite sure I have the right location. 

But I do notice that the script is calling ZenNote. I'm not sure what the last two lines are trying to do but I don't have ZenNote installed. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 9.00.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 9.12.41 AM.png

Edited by michaelbierman
Added a second image

17 minutes ago, michaelbierman said:

I'm quite sure I have the right location. 

But I do notice that the script is calling ZenNote. I'm not sure what the last two lines are trying to do but I don't have ZenNote installed. 

A completely different location, but I think thats caused by the App Store version vs the Direct Download.  You're missing a / at the end of set databasefolder

ZENNote is the table name in the database5aaa9c1bf025e_ScreenShot2018-03-15at09_09_57.png.6e23440b995d8a02822a8ea5898f3703.png

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Looks good so far.  A completely different location, but I think thats caused by the App Store version vs the Direct Download
I see you have a localNoteStore folder, just confirm the database name is localNoteStore/LocalNoteStore.sqlite

ZENNote is the table name in the database5aaa9c1bf025e_ScreenShot2018-03-15at09_09_57.png.6e23440b995d8a02822a8ea5898f3703.png

Yes, I added a picture above that shows the directory path and what is under localNoteStore.

And thanks. I thought ZenNote was a texteditor or something. 

8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You're missing a / at the end of set databasefolder

So Now I get the open directory... do I want to edit snippet.txt ? When I do,  I don't see any change in the note in Evernote. 

26 minutes ago, michaelbierman said:

So Now I get the open directory... do I want to edit snippet.txt ? When I do,  I don't see any change in the note in Evernote. 

So attached is my work in progress. I found the right file to edit and it seems to work pretty well! I'm sure it could be improved but this is a nice start. 

I notice the changes aren't reflected in Evernote until you close and reopen that note. Is there a way to refresh without doing that? 

30 minutes ago, michaelbierman said:

The file is content.enml

9 minutes ago, michaelbierman said:

So attached is my work in progress. I found the right file to edit and it seems to work pretty well! I'm sure it could be improved but this is a nice start. 

I notice the changes aren't reflected in Evernote until you close and reopen that note. Is there a way to refresh without doing that? 

I haven't taken it further than that.  You could add to the script, launching the text editor, even doing the find/replace within the script.

Also note (pun), after verifying your update, make a dummy change (like adding a space)

This is required so the note gets uploaded to the server where the master data version is stored.

2 hours ago, michaelbierman said:

Here is an AppleScript that does a Find and Replace in EVERNOTE!

Further on the subject of editing the content.enml file

From another discussion this is a solution to changing the highlight colour

5aaac6846c10c_ScreenShot2018-03-15at12_12_26.png.31f2c0f42da5a88cf0884bfe8a637d05.png

20 hours ago, michaelbierman said:

here is an AppleScript that does a Find and Replace in EVERNOTE!

For the storage and access of Applescripts. see 

8 hours ago, DTLow said:

For the storage and access of Applescripts. see 

Yup. Another option is to go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Services and you can set a keyboard shortcut of your own choosing. I made some minor improvements yesterday and uploaded them to github. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 9.47.03 AM.png

Adding my voice to those of hundreds of Mac users who've been saying on here for the last 5 years that not having find and replace is a really frustrating omission. I admire people who are writing and implementing scripts to do this but it absolutely shouldn't be necessary. 

My personal workround is to scoop out content into TextWrangler, edit it and then paste it back in to EN. Again, shouldn't be necessary.

Find and Replace on multiple notes would be a godsend on the occasions it's needed (in my case not often, but this is one of those times just now). If Dreamweaver can do it, surely EN can. 

14 hours ago, Evernope said:

Adding my voice to those of hundreds of Mac users who've been saying on here for the last 5 years that not having find and replace is a really frustrating omission. I admire people who are writing and implementing scripts to do this but it absolutely shouldn't be necessary. 

My personal workround is to scoop out content into TextWrangler, edit it and then paste it back in to EN. Again, shouldn't be necessary.

Find and Replace on multiple notes would be a godsend on the occasions it's needed (in my case not often, but this is one of those times just now). If Dreamweaver can do it, surely EN can. 

I agree it is beyond belief that Evernote hasn't added this. Meanwhile, see my AppleScript which provides a workaround. 
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/52260-mac-find-and-replace/?do=findComment&comment=497803

On 2018-03-21 at 3:46 AM, Evernope said:

My personal workround is to scoop out content into TextWrangler, edit it  ... Find and Replace on multiple notes would be a godsend on the occasions it's needed (in my case not often, but this is one of those times just now). If Dreamweaver can do it, surely EN can. 

10 hours ago, michaelbierman said:

The script's bottom line uses an external editor (TextEdit) for features not offered by Evernote's editor.
This works for me; it gets the job done.
The script could be modified to work on multiple notes instead of just item 1.

I like the TextWrangler app; it's scriptable.
For example   tell application "TextWrangler" to replace "[FIND TEXT]" using "[REPLACE TEXT]" ...

I'm flabbergasted this is not available. As a developer myself, I see no reason why this shouldn't be doable. Very basic feature...

I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that if Evernote were to just use Apple's standard Text Editing engine (the one that TextEdit uses) they could already have an incredibly powerful Find & Replace functionality built in. This is one of the hidden gems of using macOS!

Hidden in the little menu that itself is not immediately apparent (click on the search glass
icon in the Find field of the Find and Replace bar) is some seriously powerful–and easy to use Pattern-Based search and replace. Using that patterns submenu, you basically have the power of RegEx search and replace, but in a highly visual manner. You can build a search query with wildcards for words or digits or spaces or Paragraph breaks, line breaks, page breaks. And then you can replace what you find easily with these tokens. So if you wanted to search for a pattern with:

Word1, Word 2, Date, URL

and replace it with   

Word 2: Date, Word1 - URL  

You could do that! 

Plus, using the macOS's text editing engine would allow usage of Styles, which would be incredibly useful in Evernote. I'm sure some work would be involved in integrating this into Evernote, but once that part was done, Evernote would even get to enjoy any updates Apple makes to that code. 

A lot of applications on the Mac take advantage of this text engine - nvAlt is one that I use everyday... it gets all that awesome Find & Replace visual pattern based awesomeness... seems a shame that Evernote can't utilize this as well.

(also, I highly recommend nvAlt if your needs are confined to Text/Markdown files. It accesses my "TextDocs" folder at the root of my Dropbox, each note is a separate .md file, and the search is super fast. As long as the app is open, I hit option-n, the window comes up with the cursor in the search field. I type and results come up, if no note is matched, I can simply finish typing what I want the name of the note to be, hit return and I'm immediately able to write my note with the cursor in the text input of the note. Files are saved automatically, so jotting down a quick note or idea happens unbelievably fast. My notes are all saved as .md, but I could use .txt if I wanted. I can view/edit them on my iPhone or on the web via Dropbox. For text only, it's a fantastic solution.)

http://brettterpstra.com/projects/nvalt/

Edited by dblake
minor correction, added URL for nvAlt

Based on Evernote's response to my renewed plea for search and replace functionality, it would seem it's up to us, the users, to elevate Evernote to the level it should already be functioning at. Thanks to all who have posted viable solutions that can be implemented using Mac's built-in capabilities.

Geoff T. (Evernote Help and Learning)

Apr 19, 06:52 PDT 

Hello again Amy,

Thanks for getting back to me.

You are completely correct that this has been one of our most requested features for some time now, and I can see your ticket from 2015 regarding this issue.

I want you to know I have personally submitted this email as another request for this Find and Replace feature.

As well, I spoke with a specialist for you, and they wanted me to let you know that our developers take a myriad of factors into account when working on Evernote applications, including programming resources, client optimization, demand, and the need to address issues that occur with updates.

Yet the fact remains that this option has not been added for some time, and that this is detracting from your experience with the Evernote for Mac application. i sincerely wish I could guarantee you that this feature would be added, that I could give you a timeline for its addition, but I cannot.

What I can guarantee you is that we genuinely appreciate users like you who enjoy Evernote and want to see it become even better.

I hope that this feature is added soon, and that Evernote continues to meet your other needs in the meantime.

Thank you once more for being one of the people that helps make Evernote great; please let me know if there's ever anything I can do to improve your experience with it.

Sincerely,

Geoff T.
Customer Support Representative
Mon-Fri, 8am -4:30pm, CST

"This is the thread that never ends, it just goes on and on, my friends! Some people started it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting in it forever, just because..."