Ever Better: Refreshing the Evernote Brand Read more... ×

Idea

What about for mac users? I can't find any way to do a find-and-replace on a Mac.

Edited by jefito
Mac content split from Windows-specific topic
  • Like 9

[snip]

I came here because I wanted to do a simple -- SIMPLE -- find and replace, and was astounded to discover that the Evernote Mac client simply doesn't support this basic decades old functionality. What is the point of taking notes in a computer if i can't automate repeatable tasks?

This is not an open-source project. We are not opening issues on Github and submitting pull requests. This is an honest to God for-profit proprietary product that's been on the market for SEVEN YEARS. No find-and-replace in a Note Taking App? Unacceptable.

Very well said. My astonishment / frustrations are identical. This is not some esoteric feature. It's like missing the "crop" feature in a photo editing app. 

I've been using evernote for 5 years, can't believe it's taken until now to realize there's no replace. please add

I love that a feature you haven't missed for 5 years is really that key to you?

I've been using evernote for 5 years, can't believe it's taken until now to realize there's no replace. please add

I love that a feature you haven't missed for 5 years is really that key to you?

I didn't say it was key. I don't use Evernote as a text editor. I use Find & Replace in many other apps, but apparently not often in Evernote. Nevertheless, it seems like standard functionality for an app like Evernote, and it'd be nice to have.

Find and Replace is a very common feature found in most text editors and word processors.

Given the below statement by the Evernote CEO last Oct 2014, I have to say I'm surprised it is not in EN Mac.

Evernote clearly has a long ways to go to be "the best place for writing".  F&R is just one of many features that are missing from Evernote to make it even a good writing tool

From Evernote Unveils Evernote Context by TechCrunch, Oct 2, 2014:

“We’ve tried to make the writing experience across all our clients really polished,” CEO Phil Libin said today. “Evernote wants to be the best place for writing.”

Evernote is a terrible place for writing. You only have to use it for 5 minutes to know that.

My advice is to avoid the marketing nonsense and use the best app for the task you are trying to complete.

While it may be "marketing nonsense", I tend to hold CEOs accountable for their statements.

IMO, that's different than marketing that one might see in ads or press releases.

I do use other tools for writing.  But that does not mean that Evernote should not provide basic features for any type of text editing like F&R.

I wasn't assigning any value to the request, just pointing out that Evernote has a myriad of issues as a text editor.

The CEO of Evernote is a very capable marketeer and his statements make for great click bait, I've found that they rarely carry much genuine weight.

I wasn't assigning any value to the request, just pointing out that Evernote has a myriad of issues as a text editor.

I think we all can agree with that!   :ph34r:

This Forum does not automatically identify similar or duplicate topics, there fore it is 

like inventing the wheel again and again, and it is getting larger and larger

+1 vote for this feature.

I hope the product manager is still wake and get this done.

Just thought I note that this same feature was requested in Feb 2012 in another thread:

REQUEST: Find and replace

Or 2009.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/7186-archived-find-and-replace/

Been a Pro customer for several years now but just recently switched to a Mac.  It's kinda goofy that I have to copy and paste out to TextEdit, make my changes and then paste it back in.  How difficult is single Note F&R?  It seems like something someone could accomplish in a quick hackathon.

Guessing everyone at EN uses PCs?  (Or Google Keep?)

Actually I think a lot of EN employees use a Mac.

I think the issue is that they are too busy:

• Fixing bugs introduced in the prior release
  • Adding stuff most of us don't need/want (Work Chat, EN Context, etc)
  • Like 1

Actually I think a lot of EN employees use a Mac.

I would agree with that. Simple features like find & replace and horribly implemented features like EN's sync-conflict resolution should REALLY be added/fixed before largely useless features like Work Chat are added.

I would agree with that. Simple features like find & replace and horribly implemented features like EN's sync-conflict resolution should REALLY be added/fixed before largely useless features like Work Chat are added.

Cannot agree more with both of you. It's just a crazy when companies think that "the more features: the better" are the thing for the user; it's not. Let's look to MS Word: horrible GUI with dozens of features that nobody uses.

Evernote team: Don't build "halfway solution". Instead of build "half solution" which works smoothly and covers the core needs. Like mentioned in this thread already there has been lately too many crazy-cool-features that are useless to most of us and we are still lacking some core basic features.

I've started relying more and more on evernote the past weeks, but wow, this is just mind blowing...

Even this web interface has this functionality:

lHIC8Bs.png

• Like 1

Mentoer- what is it you trying to say?? what is "this web" ?

The web interface, not the web. I was just indicating that a simple fortum editor has this functionality, while a complex software product like evernote doesn't.

+1 for FIND & REPLACE !! 

It's a vital feature and must be available. I don't think it's hard to implement. Hope the support team is listening. 

I’m using evernote to organize a story I’m writing.  I have notebooks for places, characters and world building and it's really nice to have easy access to all my notes all in one place.  

Recently I’ve decided to change the name of a character and I really don’t want to have to do that manually, (nor do I want to open up pages to do it).  I understand the concern for replacing a word in one note and having it change in places you don’t want but wouldn’t it be simple to add an option where you can specify which notes and notebooks you want to change?

+1 for find and replace. 

I'm evaluating Evernote Business now with a limited # of users from my company. I too agree (strongly) that this is an absolutely must have for a note taking application. Truly disappointing. This, as others have mentioned, is among many basic features that are missing from Evernote. 

+1 (+23 of our potential users)  

Regards, 

Matt 

Come on Evernote, we have to get work done using your product.

Should we look for alternatives?

3 hours ago, bendistraw said:

Copy/ paste it is I guess.

That's a good approach to handling these things.  

I'm glad to see you didn't add scorn and derision towards the EN people, and say you'll pay for the service when EN adds this feature; as other's did in this thread, and in the forum when they want a feature added.

You might also use the voting button in the upper left corner.

I'm wondering if we might get S&R after driving my horse and buggy down to watch that newfangled iron horse.

Find and replace within notes is much needed in the Mac version. Thanks

I encourage everyone who wants this feature to go to the top of this page, and click on the "Vote up" button.

EN-Forum-Vote-Button-Simple.png

• Like 1

So it's 7 years on from the first request, and Find and Replace still doesn't exist in the Mac version.  I had considered storing lots of large articles in Evernote, but without Find and Replace it isn't much more useful than a scribble pad to me.  That, coupled with the blandness and lack of colour in the interface...  I check every few weeks to see if there are any alternatives out there, but nothing quite yet.  I'd never use OneNote.

Yes I've been copy/ pasting into Pages or Google Docs. Some simple fixes would be huge (almost as big as listening to customers).

On 1/10/2016 at 3:12 PM, JMichaelTX said:

I encourage everyone who wants this feature to go to the top of this page, and click on the "Vote up" button.

There are 73 replies to this thread, but only 10 up votes so far.

If you really want this feature, you need to vote for it.

On 1/22/2016 at 3:46 PM, JMichaelTX said:

There are 73 replies to this thread, but only 10 up votes so far.

If you really want this feature, you need to vote for it.

Wow! If you do in fact speak for Evernote, thanks for telling a bunch of your concerned, probably dues-paying customers they just got Punk'd by the "reliability" of an internet comment board "up-vote" system. You should put this feature in because it's a good ***** idea and because it would be easy for you, not because of some inane internet popularity contest. Case closed. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, A.D. Midland said:

Wow! If you do in fact speak for Evernote, thanks for telling a bunch of your concerned, probably dues-paying customers they just got Punk'd by the "reliability" of an internet comment board "up-vote" system

I do NOT speak for Evernote.  I'm just another paying customer who would also like this "Find and Replace" feature.

The voting feature is brand new in these forums.  It remains to be seen whether or not it has any impact on the design decisions made by Evernote.
But it at least gives us an opportunity to quantify our requests.

Even a simple find & replace (without support for RegExp or wildcards etc.) would be of tremendous help...

I use the Windows version of Evernote for this one thing and this one thing only. Truly ridiculous now that the feature request has existed for more than two years now...

On 2/10/2016 at 4:06 PM, delusionist said:

where is the voting system?

At the top left of this page.  Click on the UP arrow.  EN-Forum-Up-Vote.png

Still don't get why this SIMPLE feature could be SO difficult to put in place. For the time being, I am using the Evernote plugin for Sublime Text 3 as a makeshift.

I wonder if any of Evernote's employees would care for a comment here?

You guys posting the "+1":  Did you vote?

On 2/11/2016 at 9:08 PM, JMichaelTX said:

At the top left of this page.  Click on the UP arrow.  EN-Forum-Up-Vote.png

Unbelievable! Impossible to think one single reason for such a basic feature to be not included into a software called note.

You never know what you need until you have to use it. I've been using Evernote on Windows and Mac for years as a paid subscriber and for the first time, I tried to use this feature today on the Mac version and was flummoxed when I couldn't find it. This stands at the top of "missed requirement" on the software development scale. Heck, I was learning Search and Replace on text editors on my old Apple IIe in grade school

I realize that features need to be assigned based on demand; however, there are times when a feature is so basic to the genre that not having it in a product makes it a laughing stock, despite demand. It's like having a spreadsheet app that doesn't allow for division. This is like that..

• Like 1

My workaround has been to select all in a note, copy to textedit (or notepad for windows), do my search and replace there, select all and copy in that app and then paste back in evernote.

It's fairly quick, though I think unnecessary.

1 hour ago, Mannycastaneda said:

It's like having a spreadsheet app that doesn't allow for division.

That feature has been demanded also
The current vote for this feature is 37

I've added my vote. It's incredible how many features I don't care about have been added to this product where something as basic as this hasn't been added.

No point in posting about Find & Replace here anymore, really. If they haven't responded by now.... :angry:

Another +1 for Find/Replace. It's just a simple useful tool in any text editor.

I can't believe I haven't needed this feature until now, but when I searched for a Search and Replace option in Evernote Mac,  it was nowhere to be found.   Please STOP EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING AT THIS MOMENT and add this feature NOW!    After researching this in the forum,  it seems it  would go a long way in making many of your users extremely happy.

Sometimes, it's the small things that make the biggest impact.

Vote +1 -  Global Search and Replace with option to search the current note only.

Thanks

+1

Super important feature.  Easy to implement.  Would vastly improve user efficiency and experience.  Please add support for this!  Thanks.

HOW IS THIS NOT FIXED YET?

This is a gross oversight, and not fixing it quickly and quietly (with a look of terrible embarrassment on their faces) as soon as they realized it is an even bigger oversight. 

• Like 2

God i want this but as a (ex-but-still-there) Product Manager for a large internet property, its not as easy as you think t get a single feature priotitzed even after a couple years.

+1 wanting this. Keep fighting, you'l get to add it eventually

• Like 1

+1 more for Find and Replace!  I can't believe this is not already in there.  Programmatically it's pretty easy to do.

• Like 1

Hi,

This is a very simple request - to have "find and replace" in Evernote for Mac. Is there such a feature? I tried finding it and couldn't. Then I noticed this post below. Was a feature ever developed?

• Like 2

Evernote Premium should include a grown up Word Processor. There is no shortage of good cross platform ones. 

You need Find & Change +1

Additional functionality:

- License Grammarian or another grammar checker

- License Text Soap or another tool for stripping text

- Hook up an API for letting BBEdit, LaTex, Nisus Writer, Word, Google Docs all be used as the front end text engine

- Add more font support

• Like 1

+1 for Find/Replace in Web

Google Drive has it.
Windows Notepad has it.

I can't really believe it doesn't exist yet.

And please, make a client for Linux ¬¬

Surprised it took me this long to really need Find & Replace, but holy cow…nothing??? 

I'd've thought that virtually any app dealing with text would have it here in the 21st century. 

C'mon guys—things like Sync are hard. But this ain't rocket surgery! 

On July 27, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Riptide360 said:

Evernote Premium should include a grown up Word Processor. There is no shortage of good cross platform ones. 

You need Find & Change +1

Additional functionality:

- License Grammarian or another grammar checker

- License Text Soap or another tool for stripping text

- Hook up an API for letting BBEdit, LaTex, Nisus Writer, Word, Google Docs all be used as the front end text engine

- Add more font support

And maybe finally fix the line spacing issue (where if you change the font size in a line of text, there's no way to adjust line spacing to fit). 

+1 Search & Replace. Heavy user, seemingly obvious feature. Maybe even add this to your growing list of how to shove users into your subscription plans?

How do certain topics become featured like this one with a star next to it? I have checked the forums, turns out number of votes is not the criterion.

01.png

Does it mean that this issue is being considered on priority by the Evernote team? Are we finally seeing it in the not too distant (hopefully) Mac client update?

@JMichaelTX, looks like we have come a long way in this topic in terms of number of votes. Incidentally, this topic appears to be the most requested (through votes) topic in the Mac product feedback forum!

02.png

Edited by ChiragC

+1.

Find and Replace

Adjust linespace

I am waiting for these features for years...

Could you do us a favor?

man this STILL isn't a thing? 

C'mon, EN, this is basic text functionality. that people have been asking for for years. 

this really, really need to be a thing. premium level customer using a text-based app without find and replace? glmRyiSI3v5E4.gif

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

It is really not acceptable not to have Find and Replace.  I've been using computers since the 70's ( The first one was a PC Board that I soldered from a kit), and ALL TEXT EDITORS had find and replace.  That goes for ed on Unix, Edlin on MSDOS.  And these were line oriented  text editors . Line oriented editors pre-dated screen editors. And I am a business user no less.  (I am currently rethinking that decision for next year).  I suggest that the Evernote Developers drive cars that only turn to the right until this gets fixed. Who needs a steering that goes both ways anyway?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, HRudy said:

It is really not acceptable not to have Find and Replace.  I've been using computers since the 70's ( The first one was a PC Board that I soldered from a kit), and ALL TEXT EDITORS had find and replace.  That goes for ed on Unix, Edlin on MSDOS.  And these were line oriented  text editors . Line oriented editors pre-dated screen editors. And I am a business user no less.  (I am currently rethinking that decision for next year).  I suggest that the Evernote Developers drive cars that only turn to the right until this gets fixed. Who needs a steering that goes both ways anyway?

BTW This feature is on the PC version.  I see several features on the Windows version that is not on the Mac version.  This is beginning to sound like the debacle that went on for years at Intuit , that they had inferior versions of Mac products for years.  I am tempted to see how/if the Windows version of Evernote works under Wine. Developers:HOW ABOUT JUST PORTING THE WINDOWS VERSION OF EVERNOTE?

• Like 1

Without the Replace adjunct to the Search, Evernote will never be considered a writer's best friend. To have to pull copy into another text-editing app just to perform what should be a base-level function is ludicrous, not to mention fraught. A plain text editor will vanquish bold and italics, whereas a WYSIWYG will transform them into tags or create so many more formatting problems you might as well just get out your tweezers and change all the erroneous iterations yourself! Next thing you know you've spent half the day basically making xerox copies of a xerox as you transfer your editorial or book chapter from one app to another. The whole point of getting Evernote was to have immediate access to my writing wherever I was and with whatever device I happened to be using. This one failing on Evernote's part to address the most basic of editing functions is cause for distrust in the developers' ability to create an independent and integrated platform across all devices.

• Like 1

Dear Mr. or Mrs. Evernote (or anyone with a name badge that has the words Evernote written on it). Get your act together!!! For the life of me I cannot understand why such a trivial feature has not been implemented. It is implemented in Windoze, but I use Mac. This is no way to treat a Premium member. Is anyone from Evernote monitoring this thread? Can somebody / anybody from Evernote make a post to this thread? It is beyond words that this has gone on this long. I can only assume you don't care about us Mac users. If you need someone to actually code it, I'M HERE!!!! As a Sr. Software Engineer, I will not charge a dime. Just allow me access to your source code and I'll have it done within a week and that includes any unit testing!

Get this fixed or you will have one less Premium customer.

8 hours ago, oraclejavanet said:

If you need someone to actually code it, I'M HERE!!!! As a Sr. Software Engineer, I will not charge a dime

Thats good, because Evernote doesn't charge for it's software or updates

fwiw   Evernote just implemented the "common editor" on the Mac
           I'm hopeful thats a step towards parity with the other platforms,
          and getting Find/Replace on Macs

• Like 1

FWIW: I just had a short tech support chat with an EN rep and, after discussing my main problem, I asked about Find and Replace. He stated the following:

"As for the 'Find and Replace' option in Evernote for Mac, our development team is currently working on that, though we do not have a date when it will become available. In the mean time you may use the Evernote for Windows app (open note and press Control+H) and, after syncing you will see the changes in Evernote for Mac as well."

I'm not sure what he means by using the Windows app when I use a Mac, though.

Anyway, "hurry up and wait," I guess....

• Like 1

Evernote should hire someone from Upwork or Fiverr to build a Find and Replace feature for the Mac. Can't believe it's been years of people requesting it and it's still not there yet. Would probably take a developer 30 minutes to implement and test.

• Like 1

I am going to reiterate what I said before.  Evernote developers , do you know how lame it is not to have find with REPLACE? I want you to think back to any editor that you used and tell me the last time you encountered any editor that didn't have find and REPLACE? Can't think of one (besides Evernote Mac)? Me neither..

If I was a developer on Evernote's Mac team I would seriously question what I was doing there. And if the Mac product manager was working for me I would ask him the above question on their exit interview.  

Have I made myself clear?

• Like 1

yep

sad face

as much as I like Evernote, this one galling failure is sore thumb-y enough to be one of the first things comes to mind when someone asks me about evernote

and it keeps me on the look for any new entry into the space ... because I'd also like to have note CRUD event notifies to go out via email or sim.

jg

• Like 1

在 2016/12/27 在 PM10點58分, HRudy說:

I am going to reiterate what I said before.  Evernote developers , do you know how lame it is not to have find with REPLACE? I want you to think back to any editor that you used and tell me the last time you encountered any editor that didn't have find and REPLACE? Can't think of one (besides Evernote Mac)? Me neither..

If I was a developer on Evernote's Mac team I would seriously question what I was doing there. And if the Mac product manager was working for me I would ask him the above question on their exit interview.  

Have I made myself clear?

+1

• Like 1

I have been a premium user for a couple months.  If I had noticed the missing Search and Replace before subscribing, I wouldn't have subscribed.  This is so basic.  What on earth have these people been doing for years?

• Like 1

They just IGNORE YOU for years!
They locked with 50% blablabla and IGNORE this basic must-have feature!

It is so annoyed to think about it.

• Like 1

Tried once again to contact EN customer service. No help. Same old talking points. "We are aware of the Find/Replace issue on Mac and our development team is working on it". They provide no evidence, dates, deadlines, etc. As a Software Engineer, Mathematics Programmer, and Data Scientist with 25 years of experience, I know that it doesn't take months and years to implement such a trivial feature. Especially when this is such a must-have.

Given Evernote's unwillingness to support Find/Replace on the Mac, I will be dropping my Premium membership. I purchased it years ago when using the product on Windows; however, my primary driver is a Mac. Although EN "may" be working on its implementation, it has been their unwillingness to update the EN user community and more importantly, their Premium members as to what is causing the delay.

This is so-ooo disappointing, and on the magnitude of making me think it's time to consider jumping ship. Not supporting their own products, much less their Mac user base, seems a clear message that EN is focused on priorities other than perfecting their products. A really bad sign that EN is heading for an ice berg. What's the alternative, Pages and Dropbox? Google Docs?