MAC: Find and Replace?

keenerguy

Idea

I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that if Evernote were to just use Apple's standard Text Editing engine (the one that TextEdit uses) they could already have an incredibly powerful Find & Replace functionality built in. This is one of the hidden gems of using macOS!

Hidden in the little menu that itself is not immediately apparent (click on the search glass
icon in the Find field of the Find and Replace bar) is some seriously powerful–and easy to use Pattern-Based search and replace. Using that patterns submenu, you basically have the power of RegEx search and replace, but in a highly visual manner. You can build a search query with wildcards for words or digits or spaces or Paragraph breaks, line breaks, page breaks. And then you can replace what you find easily with these tokens. So if you wanted to search for a pattern with:

Word1, Word 2, Date, URL

and replace it with   

Word 2: Date, Word1 - URL  

You could do that! 

Plus, using the macOS's text editing engine would allow usage of Styles, which would be incredibly useful in Evernote. I'm sure some work would be involved in integrating this into Evernote, but once that part was done, Evernote would even get to enjoy any updates Apple makes to that code. 

A lot of applications on the Mac take advantage of this text engine - nvAlt is one that I use everyday... it gets all that awesome Find & Replace visual pattern based awesomeness... seems a shame that Evernote can't utilize this as well.

(also, I highly recommend nvAlt if your needs are confined to Text/Markdown files. It accesses my "TextDocs" folder at the root of my Dropbox, each note is a separate .md file, and the search is super fast. As long as the app is open, I hit option-n, the window comes up with the cursor in the search field. I type and results come up, if no note is matched, I can simply finish typing what I want the name of the note to be, hit return and I'm immediately able to write my note with the cursor in the text input of the note. Files are saved automatically, so jotting down a quick note or idea happens unbelievably fast. My notes are all saved as .md, but I could use .txt if I wanted. I can view/edit them on my iPhone or on the web via Dropbox. For text only, it's a fantastic solution.)

http://brettterpstra.com/projects/nvalt/

Edited by dblake
minor correction, added URL for nvAlt
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

It just doesn't make sense to me that this feature is, and has been, available for PC users but not for Mac users. :(

elux, I strongly agree.  I have been pointing out features found in EN Win but NOT in EN Mac for a long time.

Thanks for reminding us of this.

• Like 2

Shame on Evernote for not even responding to these posts. No one from Evernote has chimed in since Evernote Product Manager Jackolicious "noted" the request more than a year ago.

Jackolicious
  • photo-thumb-86036.jpg?_r=0

• evernote-ambassador-forum-green-70.png
  • Title: Product Manager
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Note. Thanks. 

My TwitterCheck out our Knowledgebase  our guides here: Mac or WindowsStill need help? Submit a support request here.

5 hours ago, macvos said:

F&R would be handy, yes. But what disturbs me the most is that when doing an in-note find, the text is selected but not made current. So you can't do Find Next / Paste as a F&R alternative. The text cursor remains where it was and when you paste text, it's therefore inserted at the wrong position.

The excuse is of course that it 'has to do with finding text in PDFs and images' but ... I am a IT guy and I know that they know if the current found/selected text is inside an attachment or not. So to simply add a few lines of extra code to really select the text with a Find(Next), shouldn't be that much of a problem.

+1

On 2/16/2017 at 0:57 PM, HUNTER-HI said:

I myself am STILL baffled they don't have this simple feature.  Guys, what's going on?!  Why not add it in search feature, 

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Like I said,  they just got through rewriting some important bits of the app.  As of late 2016 that's part of all the clients it's only now possible to work on upgrades that could be applied to every client.  More features will be in the pipeline.

At this point, there are no more excuses that EN can provide that holds water. Their development / management team has obviously made a conscious decision that they have no intent on improving their product on the Mac platform. As I've previously mentioned in this insane thread, anyone with a development background knows what little effort it would take to code this feature. How do I know, I've been developing software for 25 years! Although Objective-C is not my first language of choice, it is very straightforward once you get past some of its idiosyncrasies. I used it years ago when developing on NeXTSTEP and now for Mac applications. My primary platform to develop for is Linux, however I've written enough Mac applications to know what this effort would take. To say that this is a trivial coding effort is an understatement.

With regards to their efforts in developing a 'common editor', it's been out far too long to use it as an excuse now. The fact still remains that while the development team reads these threads, they have made a conscious decision to ignore it. One can only remain curious on how much Microsoft is paying EN to ignore feature requests for Mac!

Several weeks back, I imported my EN notes into OneNote (using the OneNote Importer). By no means am I suggesting that OneNote is better or worse than Evernote. While both are leaders in note-taking software, they both have their pros and cons. For example, the EN Web Clipper is far superior to OneNote's implementation. For me (Software Engineer / Data Scientist / Mathematics Programmer) and my Son (Chemist), OneNote provides us both with sharing, draw / annotations with our Wacom tablets, and for me, a great equation editor. I feel I need to emphasize that we both consider EN / OneNote as note-taking software - a nice platform to store all of documentation. By no means am I publishing an analysis or documenting a mathematics paper in EN / OneNote, that's where LaTeX (TeXstudio), Pages, RStudio, etc. come in to play.

In the end, if EN doesn't get their act together, they will out two Premium members. Given the number of posts for this feature on the Mac, I doubt they really care. For those who know me, I avoid Microsoft products like the plague; however, MS are working diligently in making OneNote a fierce competitor to EN, In my opinion, MS is winning. I would be interested in anyone's opinion on EN vs. OneNote. I realize that it is outside the scope of this thread, however, EN has not been showing any type of effort towards improving their product on the Mac platform.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It may be obvious to you.
I'm busy testing/reviewing the Mac improvements in v6.11

edited

Still no indication of Find and Replace

Although Find and Replace hasn't made it to Mac 6.11 / Beta 1, the update (and the link to the release notes) is much appreciated. This is valuable information that will allow me to decide on a product that best coincides with my use case (which as of today, I've already made that decision).

7 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hadn't noticed Evernote providing any "excuses".  They tend to get on with developing their products,  listening to user feedback,  and implementing features that seem to them most cost effective to adopt. 

This is not a democratic process.  Evernote have the exclusive power to introduce as many - or as few - changes to their products as they wish;  users can continue to subscribe, or not, as they wish.  No explanations or excuses required on either side.

The excuse I am referring to is your constant mention of the 'common editor' and the time and effort they put into it. Implementing Find/Replace is trivial, easy, simple, straightforward, etc. If they were truly looking at cost / benefit, they would have knocked this out of the park long ago and saved a lot of frustrations that are clearly documented in this thread.

You are correct, this is not a democratic process and EN does have exclusive power to introduce or ignore feature requests. What EN has to understand is that they are no longer the only player in market now. Users now have the option to abandon EN for something like OneNote (what I consider the two leaders in this niche market). I express once again that there are pros and cons to each product. To ignore such a trivial request may be at their own peril. Implementing features that user's are not asking for (Mac v6.11 / Beta 1), reckless and incompetent. Purposely ignore a segment of your user base, other companies will seize on this opportunity. I truly want EN to succeed. There are many great features in the product. Plus, (although not specifically an EN feature), I love the fact that I can run a third party EN client (NixNote) on my Linux machines. Unfortunately, their decision making process (which is an absolute mystery) is a true embarrassment.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, gazumped said:

As an Android user I keep seeing iOS apps I'd like to try out (the grass is always greener...) but when I post a query for the developers they almost always reply that they won't be developing for other platforms until they have their iOS product firmly (and presumably successfully) established.  That's for an existing iOS product that 'just' needs recoding to work in Android.  Companies won't risk doing that unless and until they have the cash flow and resources to support the work involved.

Evernote had existing and popular products in five major operating systems which all included differently coded editors written by different teams.  They came up with a method to provide an editor module that could be fitted into all five applications.  I'd guess that all the applications required a serious degree of re-editing to allow the editor to fit.  They were doing this while still servicing somewhere north of 100M users who - you may have noticed - tend to get tetchy if things don't work too well.

That's not something they could knock off in someone's lunchtime,  and I think it's a pretty good achievement which they've actually mentioned once to my knowledge themselves - a bit like the "Oh and by the way we moved 2 billion user documents from our servers to Google's" that they included in the blog the other day.

I tend to mention it to put in perspective all the glib "It's such a simple change" comments folks tend to make - something else I may have mentioned once or twice before..  managing Evernote is a bit like steering an oil tanker.  If you're planning to change direction you can't just do a quick u-turn and head back the other way.  Change is slow,  and something you need to plan for well in advance.  Evernote clearly think in terms of years for some projects.

The sort of feature you want may well be in the pipeline,  but whatever we say here,  no-one is going to know about it until Evernote decide to deliver.

Some good points, but, c'mon, man, adding Find & Replace can't be that hard....can it?! I mean, it's been part of word processors etc. for a long time. And it's so useful for a program like this, it would seem to be a no brainer. 

This is a must-have feature, so I came here to upvote this idea.

Evernote Mac Team: This much needed functionality was requested in 2013, so we are going to get it any time soon, right?

4 hours ago, emmjayess said:

Don't hold your breath...

Ditto. I finally cancelled my Premium Membership as did my Son. This company doesn't deserve a dime for its foolishness and complete incompetency in not implementing what is a trivial coding task and part of any text processing application. Every upvote for this feature since 2013 has fallen on deaf ears. What Evernote fails to understand is that to remain relevant in today's cloud-based market, it is essential to have broad cross-platform compatibility with a native client. And yes, this includes Linux! If Evernote put more of an emphasis on the quality and compatibility of their code base rather than their merchandising and collecting data, we would see better things coming out of Redwood City, CA.

• Like 2
On 3/18/2017 at 5:32 PM, AyushSharma said:

Are you guys planning on doing something about this at all? It's 2017, d*****! This thread has been going back years!

Unfortunately Evernote has no intentions on implementing this trivial feature. Evernote's management and development team has made a conscious decision to ignore what has been years of requests in two different forums and attempts to contact them directly. Without competition, EN is free to ignore its customer base and make no effort on producing cross-platform quality code. OneNote does bring with it a much more advanced editor with features that Evernote would never be able to produce; however, it too does not have Find and Replace (at least this was my experience on the Mac version of OneNote). I thought of switching to OneNote, however, in my opinion it would be a wash. My primary drivers are a MacBook Pro and a Linux Mint workstation.

Evernote is simply too small of a company to take on the demands of a true enterprise organization. Until we see more competition in this niche market, I believe this will continue to remain status quo.

1 minute ago, gazumped said:

Did they publish this momentous decision somewhere?  I must have missed that.  

I understand the frustration that lots of groups experience when their preferred fixes aren't implemented despite apparent significant support.  But despite the heat this forum sometimes generates,  it isn't the only place from which Evernote get their customer feedback.  There are so many current requests that no matter what new feature Evernote introduces next, a significant number of users will scream that their much more worthy requests have been ignored.

Evernote will undertake whatever they consider to be the most cost-effective projects for their company in their own time.  If at any stage that doesn't include some process that you require,  then if you can find a better option,  you should probably take it.

Meantime there's only work-arounds and making-do.

It's simple - deductive reasoning.

The very fact that you would imply EN publishing a decision 'they clearly made' on this issue in a public forum would be preposterous. This statement shows you are trivializing the context of what is being discussed regarding the request. What is "true" is that it doesn't take years to implement such a trivial request.

Now, you may or may not be a Software Engineer. I don't know; but I am. I have been developing software for over 25 years in a number of capacities: Computer Scientist, Mathematics Programming / Cryptologist, and Data Scientist. Anyone with the most basic understanding of software development knows that Find/Replace is not some type of esoteric feature that doesn't already exist in nearly every text editor developed since the 70's. You use the term "cost-effective projects". This request "is not a project". It is a simple task request that can be accomplished by any one of their developers. Does their VCS not support branching for bug fixes?!?!?

It's possible that Evernote is attempting to set some type of world record for the only text editor in modern times to not include what would take at most several days to implement. As I've said before, I'll give them a week for full unit testing. What makes this more of a joke is that I have to assume their IDE has Find/Replace!!!! Good enough for them, but not good enough for their Mac user base. Not sure here, arrogance or incompetency?

What I have learned about the company is that they have a clear mission and that is to continue efforts on merchandising, data collection, and investing in pet projects that does nothing to improve the quality of their native client. Developing quality / cross-platform code that meets the demands of an enterprise level cloud-based service appears to be beyond their capabilities. Else, it would have been done so years ago and a saved themselves this embarrassment.

What's more saddening is their choice of Anirban Kundu as their new CTO (replacing Dave Engberg). While a distinguished and ambitious engineer, he hasn't demonstrated a willingness to fully understand that if Evernote wants to remain relevant in today's cloud-based market, he needs to dedicate resources to improving (or in this case, finishing) core features of what should be a broad cross-platform compatibility in their native client. Unfortunately, he has tunnel vision on his pet project (cross-sell and up-sell recommendations using machine learning) and continues to invest a disproportionate amount of resources to it instead of making efforts in improving the quality, performance, and cross-platform capabilities of the native client. Again, a wonderful initiative to introduce A.I. functionality into Evernote, However, in the meantime, dedicate resources to fix the outstanding issues with your native. What good is this new functionality if the client is a mess?

One has to wonder, does EN have a business model or is this a college campus full of academics running the show!

• Like 1

Desperately needed. I have 20k notes, and some of mine are similar, but named differently, It would be great to search titles for specific words/acronyms, to change, as well as search for tags and rename those.

• Like 1

I hope my baby can use Evernote with the feature "Find and Replace" at school to save time 10 years later.

I hope my baby can read in Evernote with the feature "Change Background Color" to protect her eyes 15 years later.

In front of politics, our parents failed.

In front of Evernote, our generation failed.

From 2013 to 2017,time is so cruel~ always…

So I dare not ask too much...I just hope:

God Bless Our Babies!!!

God Bless Evernote!!!

58f0a93f3b635_EvernoteNewFeatureReleased!.jpg.dc7e46cb485b95459f79496ae32db114.jpg

• Like 2

So many repeated requests and not even the courtesy of an explanation. EN is either grossly understaffed or arrogant. Either way, it reflects badly on CEO and Board. Good feelings about the product and trust in the company are fading.

• Like 1

Here we are. 4 years after this discussion opened, find and replace - a basic functionality is still missing on Evernote Mac.

Could it be that they are not a viable business any more and in maintenance mode?

• Like 1
On 7/1/2017 at 4:41 PM, Paferg said:

I found a workaround:

- Copy into Microsoft Word

- Search and replace

- Just keep using Microsoft Word, because really, this is just sad

(I'm a premium Evernote user, been using it for years, and I'm sure I will keep using it, but come on guys.)

Don't hold your breath. After 4 years, you would think that this 'easy to implement' functionality would be available for Mac users. Worst support team ever!

5 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Well, I'm glad you're happy with what you have.

Many of us, including myself, use Evernote for a variety of purposes.  I use it not only as my digital filing cabinet, but also to write and edit a number of simple notes that I don't want to switch out to a word processor to do.  I do believe that Find and Replace is in every other text editor I know of, certainly in all that I use.

• Often I will capture a web page that I need to replace all of a certain term with another term.
  • I build and maintain a number of Public Notes for friends to use
  • I build and maintain a number of Public Notes as user guides.
  • and more.

I'm not leaving because Evernote doesn't have F&R, but it sure would be very, very useful if it did.

Just my 2¢.

Ditto that, so make it 4¢

On 26/01/2017 at 4:58 AM, amanda_h said:

As a support team, we always welcome feedback and requests for features, and pass these along to the development and management teams. We understand Find & Replace is a feature a lot of users want, and our development team is aware of this as well. While the dev team doesn't always have time to reply to feature request threads, your votes do have an impact on what they discuss for future implementation. However, feature requests are just that, requests. We do not promise to add requested features.

The Customer Support team does not have the ability to give you additional information behind why the development team has not implemented this as a feature, because we don't work behind the scenes to understand exactly what kind of manpower is needed to do so. We also do not share our timeline for the release of future feature additions.

How nice of you to reply. Except that apart from the flowery words and the obviously carefully treaded wordings to avoid any responsibilities or liabilities, you have shown two things essentially.

1. This forum, the ticket system, that was designed and managed by your department, does not communicate with the Engineering dept. Communication implies 2 ways communication, but from your flowery language, such is not the case. You are nothing but a pretty faced receptionists who takes messages and relay them to their mailboxes, who may or may not read them.

2.  Due to the typographical difference of your departments, your department is essentially unable to speak for the brand in any developmental capacity, nor speaking for the Engineering department, nor authorized in answering any technical questions, nor providing time tables toward any particular developmental goals. Thus explaining the robotic polite response template as we have read over the past few years. (English isn't my first language, is it true that Americans call this as "blowing off someone", or "jerking someone off"?)

Furthermore, through my observations/:

3. The issue has been raised from this thread since August 2013, which is over 4 years ago. And during this time, we have seen many changes in EverNote, both minor cosmetic changes, and major architectural changes alike. But it has been ignored or continued to be considered a lower priority. Then it would be quite fair to assume that any thing is considered higher priority than fulfilling this feature request, for an indefinite future. Which is another way of saying, it is unlikely that it will ever happen.

4. The complexity of EverNote is minuscule compared to Quantum Mechanics or engineering marvels like the LHC, I hope you have at least the sincerity to admitting to that. Despite such simplicity, a company with nearly 200 staff, owning a building tower of your own, owning as much resources as you have had yet in 4 years, you are incapable of fulfilling this feature request? Not even to acknowledge EverNote has this deficiency? Not even to provide a time table of when it will happen? When any one have come to realise this fact, one must dawn upon the truth by seeing the true colors of the company and culture you represent. It was never about developing a useful tool to meet the user's needs, but rather about how users and the naive are used to fuel the elephantine ego and to serve every whims of the white elephant god.

Conclusion:

I have subscribed to membership with Ulysses today, somehow I find the butterfly cult more accommodating and loving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I’d be concerned  this cutting/pasting might mess with the content?

Yes, that is a BIG concern.  It is one, of many, reasons why we need Evernote Mac (like Evernote Win) to fully support Find & Replace.

If they already have the  Find & Repalce code for EN Win, it seems like the design is known, and a port to Mac should not be that hard.  Or so it seems to me.

5 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

But, I do agree that find/replace would be a really nice feature to at least have in single notes. And, if possible, a global search/replace would also be nice. 

I believe find/replace within one note is currently available in Evernote for Windows. 

But a global find/replace engine?  To be able to run find/replace

- for all notes; or

- all notes in this/these selected notebooks; or

- all notes with this/these selected tags; 

Now, that would be awesome. 

C'mon, Evernote. It can be done. 

Adding my voice to those of hundreds of Mac users who've been saying on here for the last 5 years that not having find and replace is a really frustrating omission. I admire people who are writing and implementing scripts to do this but it absolutely shouldn't be necessary. 

My personal workround is to scoop out content into TextWrangler, edit it and then paste it back in to EN. Again, shouldn't be necessary.

Find and Replace on multiple notes would be a godsend on the occasions it's needed (in my case not often, but this is one of those times just now). If Dreamweaver can do it, surely EN can. 

14 hours ago, Evernope said:

Adding my voice to those of hundreds of Mac users who've been saying on here for the last 5 years that not having find and replace is a really frustrating omission. I admire people who are writing and implementing scripts to do this but it absolutely shouldn't be necessary. 

My personal workround is to scoop out content into TextWrangler, edit it and then paste it back in to EN. Again, shouldn't be necessary.

Find and Replace on multiple notes would be a godsend on the occasions it's needed (in my case not often, but this is one of those times just now). If Dreamweaver can do it, surely EN can. 

I agree it is beyond belief that Evernote hasn't added this. Meanwhile, see my AppleScript which provides a workaround. 
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/52260-mac-find-and-replace/?do=findComment&comment=497803

Based on Evernote's response to my renewed plea for search and replace functionality, it would seem it's up to us, the users, to elevate Evernote to the level it should already be functioning at. Thanks to all who have posted viable solutions that can be implemented using Mac's built-in capabilities.

Geoff T. (Evernote Help and Learning)

Apr 19, 06:52 PDT 

Hello again Amy,

Thanks for getting back to me.

You are completely correct that this has been one of our most requested features for some time now, and I can see your ticket from 2015 regarding this issue.

I want you to know I have personally submitted this email as another request for this Find and Replace feature.

As well, I spoke with a specialist for you, and they wanted me to let you know that our developers take a myriad of factors into account when working on Evernote applications, including programming resources, client optimization, demand, and the need to address issues that occur with updates.

Yet the fact remains that this option has not been added for some time, and that this is detracting from your experience with the Evernote for Mac application. i sincerely wish I could guarantee you that this feature would be added, that I could give you a timeline for its addition, but I cannot.

What I can guarantee you is that we genuinely appreciate users like you who enjoy Evernote and want to see it become even better.

I hope that this feature is added soon, and that Evernote continues to meet your other needs in the meantime.

Thank you once more for being one of the people that helps make Evernote great; please let me know if there's ever anything I can do to improve your experience with it.

Sincerely,

Geoff T.
Customer Support Representative
Mon-Fri, 8am -4:30pm, CST

Every so often I am reminded that Evernote still doesn't feature Find and Replace in 2018. I am finding myself using Apple Notes more often. It would be nice if Evernote finally adds Find and Replace before Apple Notes adds text highlighting (as in iBooks). Text highlighting and Web Clipper are perhaps the two Evernote features that slow me from completely switching to Apple Notes at this point.

Hello EV,

In your email newsletter today (7/25/18), you wrote: "A dream team isn’t just having 'the smartest people in the room.' It’s about being open and not afraid of a challenge.

So here’s a challenge: implement “Find and Replace” and, therefore, respond to many years worth of user requests. Let’s face it: this feature is long overdue.
  • Like 3

At last—a solution: https://bear.app

After all the fixes and improvements rolled out with the latest version, 7.5.1, it's clear Evernote doesn't give a ***** about basic functionality and appeasing their users who actually WRITE.

At least for me, Bear is proving to be what Evernote long, long ago promised to be: a simple and easy writing app that maintains consistency across all devices and syncs instantly. Moreover, the process of importing my 700+ notes in Evernote was nearly seamless. Tags and formatting came in brilliantly, with the only effort being the need to modify the tags for nesting purposes.

For $15/yr, instead of the bloated $49.99 for Evernote, it's worth the try. Plus you get a 1-month free trial—and the ability to FIND AND REPLACE!

• Level 5
6 minutes ago, siouxzieb said:

ABSURD, ABSOLUTELY FREAKING ABSURD, THAT FIND AND RELACE HASN'T BEEN IMPLEMENTED IN EVERNOTE. DUMBFOUNDING. ENRAGING. 

You forgot to state that of course you are quitting your subscription, boycott the company and threat to sue them in a class action of all non-replaceable EN users ...

Or did you just have a bad day ?

P.S. And of course I have voted in favor of this issue, whatever it will help create.

• Haha 1

I just wanted to make this suggestion myself. I'm happy there is an open feature request for this.

However I just found out that this feature exists in Win version of Evernote. Hopefully it will be easier to implement it for the Mac version this way.

Thanks, atomtenger -- you just helped me know I'm not crazy.  I knew I had used "Find and Replace" in Evernote before, and now I can't;  I thought I must be going crazy.  But it's that I moved from a PC to a Mac.  Dang.  And I thought I was going to solve all my problems.  Ha ha . . .

Just needed find + replace on the Mac and stumbled on this thread while looking for how to do it.

Evernote is a text-based app; it's pretty crazy that it doesn't have such a basic text-editing function. My workaround is copying and pasting back and forth between Evernote and Textedit (which unfortunately reveals other Evernote bugs, like the app inserting extraneous carriage returns that don't show up in Evernote but show up in all other text apps).

• Level 5*

Find and Replace is sorely needed when using Evernote to support Projects and Business tasks.

Often times, one may start out with one identifier (acronym) for something, then change or spell it different later.

It would be soooooooooo helpful to have F&R, at least within a Note.

IF Evernote really wanted to shine, then you could ALSO make it work across a selection of Notes.

F&R has been in even simple text editors forever, so the technology must be well known.

+1 for find and replace for Mac OSX client.

It is great to have a solution that works cross platforms, but it is SOOOOO annoying and frustrating when functionalities differ.

If I may add, text editing with Mac client (5.2.1) is still a bit painful (erratic formating behaviour, event with paste w/ simplify). It is odd for a text editing application that is used to take quick notes : I can capture informations in a flash, but then I spend minutes to deal with formating. Please, dear developers, have mercy for Mac users.   :)

• Level 5*

This is a user forum - if you want to get an official response then open a support ticket.

Jack's a decent bloke so he comes on here and he posts sometimes, he reads a lot but there is no expectation that he will respond to any particular thread.

I'm guessing that as there have been major releases on a number of platforms recently that haven't included this functionality that it isn't high on the list.

Edit: And there he goes.....

Any plans to address this.  I suppose there is always the option of an applescript, but never been much satisfied with the results.  

Maybe i'll have at go at injecting a more intimate fix over the weekend with f-script, worth a try, and hey, how difficult can it be?  Will share result if successful.

Jackolicious - how can it be this very simple but essential function (note: I didn't call it a feature) has not been added to release after release?  This is essential functionality of the product.  Please elevate the priority of this request.  This has drug out too far.

Apologies for the venting, but you have to admit - this is kind of silly how long this is taking.

• Like 1

+1.  Find and Replace has been a standard part of text editing since … before PopDos?  (It's _so_ standard that a search for "OS X find replace" turns up programs which search and replace across multiple files.  _This Web form_ is more sophisticated than Evernote's Note editor:

2014-04-04%20at%2017.03%202x.png)

There are several work-arounds.  Here are two:

"Evernote ▹ Services ▹ New TextEdit Window Containing Selection".  Then in TextEdit "Edit ▹ Find ▹ Find & Replace".  The copy all and paste back over selection in Evernote.  (I have this Service; not sure where I got it.)

Use Keyboard Maestro, which has an action for searching and replacing the system clipboard contents.

2014-04-04%20at%2017.04%202x.png

• Like 2

Oh my gosh yes. I use Evernote to easily group all of my creative writing drafts and notes, and I just discovered today that there is no Find and Replace. It has completely tipped my apple cart today, and made me copy everything into MS Word just to do that, and copy it back - way too much time for something so simple, and a huge break in my workflow. 

I would LOVE to see this come to Evernote. I'm not sure it's really complete note software without such basic functionality. It'd be so silly if *this* is the dealbreaker for Evernote in my creative software life, since I love it to death for everything else. But I don't really want to do this again, ha.

Any update on this request being implemented? Yet again I need up update/change a bunch of names in files and I am having to manually copy/paste/search/replace/copy/past/reset formatting for each note.

Can we get an update, even something as simple as "Not currently being looked at" or "It is being reviewed".

I love Evernote but the lack of search/replace is just becoming to painful to keep using. For me right now the only feature I can't easily replace is the web-clipping but that would be easier to work around than not having search and replace.

@cybrhippy: Here's another workaround, which may address your need to find-and-replace across multiple files:

http://www.wikihow.com/Edit-the-HTML-of-Evernote-Notes-on-a-Mac

I tested it (edited a file at /Users/<me_on_mac>/Library/Application Support/Evernote/Accounts/<me_on_evernote>/content/p<numbers>/content.html after quitting out of Evernote) and it worked.

If you use something like BBEdit (or any other app that allows you to search-and-replace across multiple files in nested folders), you should be able to make the global changes you need.

But wow: that's heading deep into http://alternativeto.net/software/evernote/?platform=mac (search for alternatives to Evernote on Mac) territory.

+1. Scratching my head about this. How often I wish I had this no brainer feature in Evernote. Instead have to do cut and paste to TextEdit, do find&replace there and cut and paste back to Evernote. Surely someone in the 70s could have programmed this feature, right? 

• Like 2

This is not the first time I stumble on something very basic with evernote.

AFAIR, a while ago it was not possible to search for substrings (only full words, or beginning of words, but not middle parts or endings). 

+1 for a steady step to 21th century and implementing Search and Replace. Go-go-go evernote, we know, you can do it. Or can you? ;)

• Like 2

This is insane. Find and Replace is basic text editor functionality. This is just another example of why I am always on the lookout for an Evernote replacement: All new features, no fit and finish.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Find and Replace is basic text editor functionality.

When you type in the search field, the search is performed against all your notes, plus inside attached images, PDFs and office documents. This is not basic text editor functionality.

Please be assured that we read the forums and are aware of the request.

• Like 1