MAC: Find and Replace?

keenerguy

Idea

I can't believe I haven't needed this feature until now, but when I searched for a Search and Replace option in Evernote Mac,  it was nowhere to be found.   Please STOP EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING AT THIS MOMENT and add this feature NOW!    After researching this in the forum,  it seems it  would go a long way in making many of your users extremely happy.

Sometimes, it's the small things that make the biggest impact.

Vote +1 -  Global Search and Replace with option to search the current note only.

Thanks

HOW IS THIS NOT FIXED YET?

This is a gross oversight, and not fixing it quickly and quietly (with a look of terrible embarrassment on their faces) as soon as they realized it is an even bigger oversight. 

• Like 2

God i want this but as a (ex-but-still-there) Product Manager for a large internet property, its not as easy as you think t get a single feature priotitzed even after a couple years.

+1 wanting this. Keep fighting, you'l get to add it eventually

• Like 1

Hi,

This is a very simple request - to have "find and replace" in Evernote for Mac. Is there such a feature? I tried finding it and couldn't. Then I noticed this post below. Was a feature ever developed?

• Like 2

Evernote Premium should include a grown up Word Processor. There is no shortage of good cross platform ones. 

You need Find & Change +1

Additional functionality:

- License Grammarian or another grammar checker

- License Text Soap or another tool for stripping text

- Hook up an API for letting BBEdit, LaTex, Nisus Writer, Word, Google Docs all be used as the front end text engine

- Add more font support

• Like 1

Surprised it took me this long to really need Find & Replace, but holy cow…nothing??? 

I'd've thought that virtually any app dealing with text would have it here in the 21st century. 

C'mon guys—things like Sync are hard. But this ain't rocket surgery! 

On July 27, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Riptide360 said:

Evernote Premium should include a grown up Word Processor. There is no shortage of good cross platform ones. 

You need Find & Change +1

Additional functionality:

- License Grammarian or another grammar checker

- License Text Soap or another tool for stripping text

- Hook up an API for letting BBEdit, LaTex, Nisus Writer, Word, Google Docs all be used as the front end text engine

- Add more font support

And maybe finally fix the line spacing issue (where if you change the font size in a line of text, there's no way to adjust line spacing to fit). 

How do certain topics become featured like this one with a star next to it? I have checked the forums, turns out number of votes is not the criterion.

01.png

Does it mean that this issue is being considered on priority by the Evernote team? Are we finally seeing it in the not too distant (hopefully) Mac client update?

@JMichaelTX, looks like we have come a long way in this topic in terms of number of votes. Incidentally, this topic appears to be the most requested (through votes) topic in the Mac product feedback forum!

02.png

Edited by ChiragC

It is really not acceptable not to have Find and Replace.  I've been using computers since the 70's ( The first one was a PC Board that I soldered from a kit), and ALL TEXT EDITORS had find and replace.  That goes for ed on Unix, Edlin on MSDOS.  And these were line oriented  text editors . Line oriented editors pre-dated screen editors. And I am a business user no less.  (I am currently rethinking that decision for next year).  I suggest that the Evernote Developers drive cars that only turn to the right until this gets fixed. Who needs a steering that goes both ways anyway?

• Like 2
16 hours ago, HRudy said:

It is really not acceptable not to have Find and Replace.  I've been using computers since the 70's ( The first one was a PC Board that I soldered from a kit), and ALL TEXT EDITORS had find and replace.  That goes for ed on Unix, Edlin on MSDOS.  And these were line oriented  text editors . Line oriented editors pre-dated screen editors. And I am a business user no less.  (I am currently rethinking that decision for next year).  I suggest that the Evernote Developers drive cars that only turn to the right until this gets fixed. Who needs a steering that goes both ways anyway?

BTW This feature is on the PC version.  I see several features on the Windows version that is not on the Mac version.  This is beginning to sound like the debacle that went on for years at Intuit , that they had inferior versions of Mac products for years.  I am tempted to see how/if the Windows version of Evernote works under Wine. Developers:HOW ABOUT JUST PORTING THE WINDOWS VERSION OF EVERNOTE?

• Like 1

Without the Replace adjunct to the Search, Evernote will never be considered a writer's best friend. To have to pull copy into another text-editing app just to perform what should be a base-level function is ludicrous, not to mention fraught. A plain text editor will vanquish bold and italics, whereas a WYSIWYG will transform them into tags or create so many more formatting problems you might as well just get out your tweezers and change all the erroneous iterations yourself! Next thing you know you've spent half the day basically making xerox copies of a xerox as you transfer your editorial or book chapter from one app to another. The whole point of getting Evernote was to have immediate access to my writing wherever I was and with whatever device I happened to be using. This one failing on Evernote's part to address the most basic of editing functions is cause for distrust in the developers' ability to create an independent and integrated platform across all devices.

• Like 1

Dear Mr. or Mrs. Evernote (or anyone with a name badge that has the words Evernote written on it). Get your act together!!! For the life of me I cannot understand why such a trivial feature has not been implemented. It is implemented in Windoze, but I use Mac. This is no way to treat a Premium member. Is anyone from Evernote monitoring this thread? Can somebody / anybody from Evernote make a post to this thread? It is beyond words that this has gone on this long. I can only assume you don't care about us Mac users. If you need someone to actually code it, I'M HERE!!!! As a Sr. Software Engineer, I will not charge a dime. Just allow me access to your source code and I'll have it done within a week and that includes any unit testing!

Get this fixed or you will have one less Premium customer.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, oraclejavanet said:

If you need someone to actually code it, I'M HERE!!!! As a Sr. Software Engineer, I will not charge a dime

Thats good, because Evernote doesn't charge for it's software or updates

fwiw   Evernote just implemented the "common editor" on the Mac
           I'm hopeful thats a step towards parity with the other platforms,
          and getting Find/Replace on Macs

• Like 1

FWIW: I just had a short tech support chat with an EN rep and, after discussing my main problem, I asked about Find and Replace. He stated the following:

"As for the 'Find and Replace' option in Evernote for Mac, our development team is currently working on that, though we do not have a date when it will become available. In the mean time you may use the Evernote for Windows app (open note and press Control+H) and, after syncing you will see the changes in Evernote for Mac as well."

I'm not sure what he means by using the Windows app when I use a Mac, though.

Anyway, "hurry up and wait," I guess....

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 11/27/2016 at 1:30 PM, GeneStrocco said:

Is there no Find and Replace for text?

How can this be?

Yup. I found this out over the weekend. I had to wait until I fired up my Windows PC to do this as the Windows client has it.

Unfortunately, unless you have a Windows version of Evernote, I don't think you can. iOS and the web version of EN cannot do it either. I am not sure about Android, but doubt it.

• Level 5*

I don't think it's ridiculous when you consider that Evernote made something which works pretty well across multiple OS's and the web - maybe some features just weren't that easy to build in the first time around...

8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I don't think it's ridiculous when you consider that Evernote made something which works pretty well across multiple OS's and the web - maybe some features just weren't that easy to build in the first time around...

Not like this is version 1.0.  Find And Replace is not a complex concept, regardless of whether its across multiple OS's and the web.  I think Evernote is great...but a basic feature like Find And Replace should have been implemented in version 1.1.  We're now at v6.8.  Just sayin'.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

FWIW, the Windows client has Find & Replace, and it is hilarious to watch. Most apps I've seen just do it. Evernote moved to every "find" and you can watch it quickly do the "replace" so it is very slow. I had a checklist for a reading plan with 365 entries, and I did a find/replace for each one. It took about 15 seconds to do it.

I think it was just tossed in there years ago and never really looked at. I know everyone thinks Evernote was created in 2008 or something, but the Windows client was created in 2003 and it was very much a Windows program back then with no cross-platform thinking in it, and the current version still has stuff from way back then. F&R may be one of those features.

Evernote should hire someone from Upwork or Fiverr to build a Find and Replace feature for the Mac. Can't believe it's been years of people requesting it and it's still not there yet. Would probably take a developer 30 minutes to implement and test.

• Like 1

I am going to reiterate what I said before.  Evernote developers , do you know how lame it is not to have find with REPLACE? I want you to think back to any editor that you used and tell me the last time you encountered any editor that didn't have find and REPLACE? Can't think of one (besides Evernote Mac)? Me neither..

If I was a developer on Evernote's Mac team I would seriously question what I was doing there. And if the Mac product manager was working for me I would ask him the above question on their exit interview.  

Have I made myself clear?

• Like 1

yep

sad face

as much as I like Evernote, this one galling failure is sore thumb-y enough to be one of the first things comes to mind when someone asks me about evernote

and it keeps me on the look for any new entry into the space ... because I'd also like to have note CRUD event notifies to go out via email or sim.

jg

• Like 1
在 2016/12/27 在 PM10點58分, HRudy說:

I am going to reiterate what I said before.  Evernote developers , do you know how lame it is not to have find with REPLACE? I want you to think back to any editor that you used and tell me the last time you encountered any editor that didn't have find and REPLACE? Can't think of one (besides Evernote Mac)? Me neither..

If I was a developer on Evernote's Mac team I would seriously question what I was doing there. And if the Mac product manager was working for me I would ask him the above question on their exit interview.  

Have I made myself clear?

+1

• Like 1

I have been a premium user for a couple months.  If I had noticed the missing Search and Replace before subscribing, I wouldn't have subscribed.  This is so basic.  What on earth have these people been doing for years?

• Like 1

Tried once again to contact EN customer service. No help. Same old talking points. "We are aware of the Find/Replace issue on Mac and our development team is working on it". They provide no evidence, dates, deadlines, etc. As a Software Engineer, Mathematics Programmer, and Data Scientist with 25 years of experience, I know that it doesn't take months and years to implement such a trivial feature. Especially when this is such a must-have.

Given Evernote's unwillingness to support Find/Replace on the Mac, I will be dropping my Premium membership. I purchased it years ago when using the product on Windows; however, my primary driver is a Mac. Although EN "may" be working on its implementation, it has been their unwillingness to update the EN user community and more importantly, their Premium members as to what is causing the delay.

This is so-ooo disappointing, and on the magnitude of making me think it's time to consider jumping ship. Not supporting their own products, much less their Mac user base, seems a clear message that EN is focused on priorities other than perfecting their products. A really bad sign that EN is heading for an ice berg. What's the alternative, Pages and Dropbox? Google Docs?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Amystoneus said:

This is so-ooo disappointing, and on the magnitude of making me think it's time to consider jumping ship. Not supporting their own products, much less their Mac user base, seems a clear message that EN is focused on priorities other than perfecting their products. A really bad sign that EN is heading for an ice berg. What's the alternative, Pages and Dropbox? Google Docs?

Not clear on what you find "so-ooo disappointing" and the "clear message"

Drop box would work ok as a sync mechanism; I use Apple iCloud

I use Pages/Word frequently for attachment to notes in Evernote, but I don't see them as a replacement for the Evernote editor
I like features like OCR Searching, inline/attachment views, metadata list and sorting

1 minute ago, Amystoneus said:

So true. What is most disappointing is that EN is not providing even the slightest bit of information regarding the delay of what is such a trivial implementation.

With regards to an alternative, I hate to admit it, but I've been looking at OneNote. I have an Office 365 subscription that I use for both of my Macs (iMac 5K and MacBook Pro), my Son's MacBook Pro, and my wife's MacBook Air. I was surprised at how well OneNote worked on the iPad. I will continue to test it out. One thing that I will miss is the Evernote Web Clipper. It is a great plug-in that I never had issues with.

Evernote, you screwed this up big time! It doesn't take years to implement and integrate the Find/Replace feature into your codebase. Seriously, is this intentional or is it complete incompetence? It's not like you are new to the scene and certainly not the only forum where this functionality is being requested (for years). For the love of Pete, I cannot think of any text editor that does not provide Find/Replace functionality; until now!

11 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Not clear on what you find "so-ooo disappointing" and the "clear message"

Drop box would work ok as a sync mechanism; I use Apple iCloud

I use Pages/Word frequently for an attachment to notes in Evernote, but I don't see them as a replacement for the Evernote editor
I like features like OCR Searching, inline/attachment views, metadata list and sorting

What is "so-ooo disappointing" is that this most basic feature of any text editor has been requested for "years" and not one representative from EN has responded!!!! When I contact them, I receive the same scripted talking points: "We are aware of the Find/Replace issue on Mac and our development team is working on it".

I also believe a "clear message" is being sent by EN. One can only come to the conclusion that EN is ignoring this feature request. Dear Evernote: "IT DOESN'T TAKE YEARS TO IMPLEMENT THIS FUNCTIONALITY!!!". EN has known about this for years and has done NOTHING about it. They have not provided a scintilla of evidence that they are taking this issue serious let alone working on it.

What I find "so-ooo disappointing" is EN's sketchy response to numerous and ongoing pleas for what should be basic functionality in word-processing software, which sends "a clear message" that they're not that into making their product a more full-bodied writing app. Who doesn't need to do a search AND a replace??? I don't get how this isn't at the top of the development team's whiteboard! I'm sure I'm not the only writer who's needed to change the name of a character in a story or a consistent misspelling. So yes, after wasting a whole lot of time working around this fatal flaw in EN, and seeing all the irate and frustrated comments (mine included) by those who have contacted customer support and have essentially been given "form-letter" responses, I'm left thinking that EN isn't the Mecca I had hoped for managing my writing with ease across all my various devices. I could accept the explanation that EN was never meant to play such a role, and my bad for thinking it could; but when the EN team blogs about how great a tool it is for writing a novel, I think, "Wow, I guess no one had to manually replace each occurrence of the main character's name across 200 pages."

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, oraclejavanet said:

What is "so-ooo disappointing" is that this most basic feature of any text editor has been requested for "years" and not one representative from EN has responded!!!! When I contact them, I receive the same scripted talking points: "We are aware of the Find/Replace issue on Mac and our development team is working on it".

Got it - Find/Replace as per the discussion title

It hasn't bothered me, but then my notes are the size of ..... notes
As I mentioned, for more serious projects I use Word/Pages as note attachments
They have find/replace

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

They have find/replace

Thanks. 

The issue really becomes how EN has positioned itself in a writer's market, despite the glaring lack of basic find/replace functionality. If they're going to entice the aspiring novelist, which they have been, they should be taking seriously the requests of this niche market and show they're serious about meeting the expressed needs. It's like they're saying they're into rock climbing and then showing up at the site in heels and a little black dress. As a writer, I feel I've been led down a long path to a dead end.

30 minutes ago, DTLow said:

They have find/replace

The use case you describe works for you - got it. However, for EN to be taken seriously, their editor for Mac has to include what is considered core functionality of any editor. Not only does it not include the Find/Replace functionality, EN show no signs of addressing it. Extremely poor judgement on their part.

The groundwork exists for EN to make great strides in improving their product but for some unknown reason, they refuse to deliver on core functionality that has been requested for years. Not weeks or months, but years. The coding requirements are so minimal. As I've mentioned before, I can only assume this is intentional or EN simply doesn't care what their Mac user base needs.

I feel I need to clarify that I am not suggesting that EN is the be-all end-all editor for every use case. The mere fact that there are limitations on the size of a note clearly indicates that EN should not be the tool used, for example, to write a large novel - [ 25 MB (Basic) / 50 MB (Plus) / 200 MB (Premium and Business) ].

For example, when I'm creating mathematical articles or publishing data analysis reports, I use LaTeX. (Believe it or not, even TeXstudio comes with Find/Replace!). In other situations, I use Word/Pages.

While EN is not the tool for every use case, there are plenty out there that warrant EN to pay attention and deliver if they want to exist.

• Like 1

Reminds me of when star office/open office/ libre office refused to support Engineering Notation for years. So I switched to the MS office with the ribbon interface.  And haven't gone back.  Time to take another look at One Note

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Amystoneus said:

The issue really becomes how EN has positioned itself in a writer's market,

I wasn't aware of that.  I got focused on Evernote being a note app

1 minute ago, HRudy said:

Reminds me of when star office/open office/ libre office refused to support Engineering Notation for years. So I switched to the MS office with the ribbon interface.  And haven't gone back.  Time to take another look at One Note

You are really taking me back in time! I still remember the first time I used StarOffice in the late 90's. I really tried to like it. Today, all of my documentation is either LaTeX (or Knitr within RStudio) or MS Word.

You'll have to let me know what your experience is with OneNote. My first impression was that it provided a great deal of functionality.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, HRudy said:

I understand using a word processing app that provides the editing features you need.

I don't understand dropping Evernote (digital filing cabinet)

On 8/19/2013 at 2:11 PM, Jackolicious said:

We don't discuss timelines but this is a common request that is duly noted. Thanks.

"Duly noted" is great...but when is it going to happen? (for all platforms).

Edited by Duane
clarification

+1 Hard to understand why I'm looking at a multi-year request for something so reasonable and the value to easy to accept. 

Maybe someone knows one of these people:

https://www.linkedin.com/vsearch/p?keywords=Evernote&title=product&openAdvancedForm=true&titleScope=CP&locationType=Y&f_CC=62953&rsid=1099891485365715057&orig=ADVS

Erik Wrobel highlights they are "** we are hiring, contact me about joining our talented product team **" so maybe the new talent will be able to resolve this.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 2017-01-23 at 8:39 AM, PaoloAltobas said:

3 years and still no find/replace? I don't get it.

22 minutes ago, JamesHavelock said:

+1 Hard to understand why I'm looking at a multi-year request

You need to understand that Evernote isn't "The App To Replace All Apps"
It will not contain every feature available in other apps

There is a priority to development being done with the app
I don't know any of the priority details but I accept that not all features are consided
cue for response - But my feature is more important than all the others

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, DTLow said:

"You need to understand that Evernote isn't "The App To Replace All Apps"

I don't know any of the priority details but I accept that not all features are consided
cue for response - But my feature is more important than all the others"

I've been in hardware/software development for 35+ years and I've yet to encounter an editor that didn't have find and replace. 

Perhaps ED for CP/M didn't have find and replace.  I don't know.  I used Wordstar for text editing on CP/M and
that had find and replace.

The first Unix editor , also called ed, had find and replace as did edlin for MSDOS.

There is no excuse not to have this most basic feature.  What is galling for Mac
 users is that the Windows *does* have this feature and other enhancements.
I have an idea, why doesn't EN just port the Windows version to the Mac? Failing
 that just repackage the Windows version to run under Wine on a Mac?

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You need to understand that Evernote isn't "The App To Replace All Apps"

cue for response - But my feature is more important than all the others

@DTLow Why is it that you continue to defend what is absolutely indefensible? For years, Mac users have been asking for one of the most basic functions of any word processing application - Find/Replace. As I've mentioned in previous posts, this is something that can be implemented in less than a week. This is not rocket science. It is inconceivable that EN doesn't have this "easy" task at the top of their priority list.

Here is why this is so frustrating to me as a Software Engineer. While EN hasn't officially announced the language / framework used for Mac, I was able to deduce that it is written in Objective-C using the Cocoa framework (possibly with Swift). Keep in mind they are using the native APIs.

Multiple years have gone by with NO FEEDBACK FROM EN! When you call, which I have multiple time, they can only say that they are working on it. I could understand a week or even a month since the first feature request, but years? It is a joke.

Simply put, if EN doesn't get it together for Mac users, I can see many moving to M$ OneNote. While I'm not the biggest fan of M$, at least their implementation works on the Mac platform.

Hey Evernote - GET IT TOGETHER!!! Actually listen to your Mac user base.

Ticket# 1990313 opened with EN. Will provide updates to this thread as I find out more about:

1. Why this functionality has yet to be implemented after multiple years of requests / demands.

2. Why the EN development team fails to acknowledge this on the forums. It is a clear oversight on their part and they fail to acknowledge it.

3. Over the past year, what other features / patches took higher precedence than implementing the request for Find / Replace.

4. A true date on when Find / Replace will be implemented on the Mac.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, oraclejavanet said:

Why is it that you continue to defend what is absolutely indefensible?

Wow, can you say close minded

I was actually responding to the "Hard to understand" post
I'm able to understand things

As to "indefensible" everything has pro's and con's.  
We could discuss this but ultimately it's Evernote's choice of which features to implement
And my choice to use Evernote for my filing, and to use the editors that provide the features I need

Good luck on your Support ticket - it seems a foolish exercise but I'm interested in seeing the results.  There are hundreds of feature requests, and these forums are the method Evernote has set up to process them

• Like 2
21 hours ago, oraclejavanet said:

Ticket# 1990313 opened with EN. Will provide updates to this thread as I find out more about:

1. Why this functionality has yet to be implemented after multiple years of requests / demands.

2. Why the EN development team fails to acknowledge this on the forums. It is a clear oversight on their part and they fail to acknowledge it.

3. Over the past year, what other features / patches took higher precedence than implementing the request for Find / Replace.

4. A true date on when Find / Replace will be implemented on the Mac.

As a support team, we always welcome feedback and requests for features, and pass these along to the development and management teams. We understand Find & Replace is a feature a lot of users want, and our development team is aware of this as well. While the dev team doesn't always have time to reply to feature request threads, your votes do have an impact on what they discuss for future implementation. However, feature requests are just that, requests. We do not promise to add requested features.

The Customer Support team does not have the ability to give you additional information behind why the development team has not implemented this as a feature, because we don't work behind the scenes to understand exactly what kind of manpower is needed to do so. We also do not share our timeline for the release of future feature additions.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, amanda_h said:

As a support team, we always welcome feedback and requests for features, and pass these along to the development and management teams. We understand Find & Replace is a feature a lot of users want, and our development team is aware of this as well. While the dev team doesn't always have time to reply to feature request threads, your votes do have an impact on what they discuss for future implementation. However, feature request are just that, requests. We do not promise to add requested features.

The Customer Support team does not have the ability to give you additional information behind why the development team has not implemented this as a feature, because we don't work behind the scenes to understand exactly what kind of manpower is needed to do so. We also do not share our timeline for the release of future feature additions.

Possibly one of the most lame excuses for an organization to ignore a segment of their user community to perform what is a trivial implementation. As I've discussed at length, this is not a "feature request", it is for EN to fix an oversight on their part on the Mac platform. To date, EN is the only editor that I know of in modern times that does not provide Find/Replace functionality. Seriously, even character mode text editors that date back decades (vi, Emacs, ed) have Find/Replace.

As for votes, this forum, along with others, and the years it is still active should be enough to encourage the development team to consider this a high priority. To say that our votes do have an impact is simply not the case.

EN has had years to fix this - they made a conscious decision not to for reasons they will not explain. That is the height of arrogance; especially when the implementation is so trivial.

As for manpower; are you serious? As a software engineering project, this would considered such low-hanging fruit it would behoove the development team to simply implement it rather than take on the embarrass it continues to bring to the product.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
21 minutes ago, oraclejavanet said:

ignore a segment of their user community

I don't believe I'm being ignored

I believe that Evernote hasn't implemented this request (and others) for whatever reasons

I can live with that

-------------------------------------------------------------

There's a story about a man who prayed because his wife was dying
After his wife passed away, someone said they were sorry God hadn't answered his prayers.  The man replied that God had answered but had said No

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Wow, can you say close minded

I was actually responding to the "Hard to understand" post
I'm able to understand things

As to "indefensible" everything has pro's and con's.  
We could discuss this but ultimately it's Evernote's choice of which features to implement
And my choice to use Evernote for my filing, and to use the editors that provide the features I need

Good luck on your Support ticket - it seems a foolish exercise but I'm interested in seeing the results.  There are hundreds of feature requests, and these forums are the method Evernote has set up to process them

Close minded? Hi pot, meet kettle.

In all of your posts, you seem to be compelled to defend Evernote's decision to ignore the vast number of Mac users who are making this request based on the fact that "your" particular user case works for you. And I'm closed minded? It's great that the product works for you, but this thread, along with others, disagree with you.

Are you a developer / software engineer? If so, you might open your thought process to understand the frustration I and others are having with Evernote's oversight in not implementing for Mac what should be core functionality of any editor. As I've mentioned before, this would take no longer than a week to implement. Even if their unit testing takes a full week, there is no excuse to not implement such low-hanging fruit that has been requested for years.

You should realize that Find/Replace is not some type of extravagant feature that is being requested by the EN development team to implement. I would understand that if I submitted a request to include LaTeX capabilities to create dynamic articles within a note, that it would be thrown out! And I would hope they would. But to ignore years worth of requests for what is an oversight by the EN development team in implementing core functionality of an editor, I too don't know why. Either way, it is an embarrassment to their organization.

Finally, my support ticket has actually shown what EN thinks about their user community - absolutely nothing. Actually, I need to correct myself, they don't ignore "you" and that's what really counts. As I mentioned in my reply to them, possibly one of the most lame excuses by an organization for refusing to keep their user community updated on what has been years of requests. Maybe there's a "super secret" voting protocol that only exists for those willing to blindly stand behind an organization that ignores segments of their user base.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I added this to various threads a few times already,  so apologies if you've seen it -

Long story short - the original Evernote apps were developed by independent teams with instructions to 'do the best you can with your platform'.  Their designs were for basic editors without frills - little more than plain text plus any easy add-ins they could find within a deadline.  Problem was each app editor was baked-in platform specific code so adding further options would have been a root-and-branch rewriting exercise in Android.  And again for iOS.  And Mac.  And Windows.  And Web.  

So they recoded the whole app for all OS's so that all editor modules were the same;  a 'Common Editor' module with links into every OS-specific code.  Now improvements are able to be added to all devices at more or less the same time without completely separate development teams repeating the same work at least 5 times.

It took some years to develop the new code to be reasonably efficient on all platforms,  and work it into updates released over a period - finishing the last at the end of  2016.

Things have already gotten a little better.  They say there's more to follow...

• Like 2

As an EN premium user since day one, I agree that this is a disgrace. Anyway, I found the instructions for the textedit hack that someone mentioned in this thread a few years ago (in case anyone else wants to try it). Works well, I just tested it. Maintains formatting, embedded images, etc.

If you want to try it,
Open the system preferences and go to the Keyboard pane.
Then click on the Keyboard Shortcuts tab and click on Services in the sidebar.
Find "New TextEdit Window Containing Selection" in the list under the text category and assign it a shortcut. (Click on it near the right end of the blue selection.)

Source: http://www.mac-forums.com/switcher-hangout/215139-shortcut-textedit-document.html

• Level 5*
On 2017-01-26 at 5:03 AM, cameronreilly said:

I found the instructions for the textedit hack

That's the spirit.  If you need features not offered by the Evernote editor there are lots of editors out there.  Not sure TextEdit would be my choice, but if it works for you

• Like 2
4 hours ago, MFSOT said:

Hello Evernote? Is there anybody out there.... FIX THIS!!!!!!

What I've found is that Evernote "does" read these comments. Unfortunately, they have been ignoring them for nearly 3 years.

I refuse to call Find/Replace a "feature request". This is core functionality found in any editor and an oversight on Evernote's part for their Mac implementation.

3 years and no response from Evernote's development team on what is no more than a few day's worth of development and unit testing - what an embarrassment.

On 27/01/2017 at 1:25 AM, DTLow said:

Not sure TextEdit would be my choice, but if it works for you

Only reason I used TextEdit is because it has a macOS service associated with it already. The service will grab the Evernote content and make it instantly available while retaining the formatting. 

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, oraclejavanet said:

What I've found is that Evernote "does" read these comments

When they get around to it.

11 hours ago, oraclejavanet said:

on what is no more than a few day's worth of development and unit testing

It took Evernote around 3 years of development to create a 'common editor' - code that could link into the OS-specific applications for MacOS / iOS / Android / Windows.  That saves them developing the same feature again and again in different applications for each OS.  Mac got their version late last year.  More is due to happen...

F&R would be handy, yes. But what disturbs me the most is that when doing an in-note find, the text is selected but not made current. So you can't do Find Next / Paste as a F&R alternative. The text cursor remains where it was and when you paste text, it's therefore inserted at the wrong position.

The excuse is of course that it 'has to do with finding text in PDFs and images' but ... I am a IT guy and I know that they know if the current found/selected text is inside an attachment or not. So to simply add a few lines of extra code to really select the text with a Find(Next), shouldn't be that much of a problem.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 29/01/2017 at 3:38 PM, gazumped said:

It took Evernote around 3 years of development to create a 'common editor'

Like I said,  they just got through rewriting some important bits of the app.  As of late 2016 that's part of all the clients it's only now possible to work on upgrades that could be applied to every client.  More features will be in the pipeline.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, oraclejavanet said:

Their development / management team has obviously made a conscious decision that they have no intent on improving their product on the Mac platform.

It may be obvious to you.
I'm busy testing/reviewing the Mac improvements in v6.11

edited

Still no indication of Find and Replace

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It may be obvious to you.
I'm busy testing/reviewing the Mac improvements in v6.11

Sounds like you have the inside dope on this--do tell. (If there's nothing to tell, don't worry, I'm sure you're still a cool dude/dudette.)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, oraclejavanet said:

there are no more excuses that EN can provide that holds water

Hadn't noticed Evernote providing any "excuses".  They tend to get on with developing their products,  listening to user feedback,  and implementing features that seem to them most cost effective to adopt. 

This is not a democratic process.  Evernote have the exclusive power to introduce as many - or as few - changes to their products as they wish;  users can continue to subscribe, or not, as they wish.  No explanations or excuses required on either side.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, oraclejavanet said:

your constant mention of the 'common editor' and the time and effort they put into it.

As an Android user I keep seeing iOS apps I'd like to try out (the grass is always greener...) but when I post a query for the developers they almost always reply that they won't be developing for other platforms until they have their iOS product firmly (and presumably successfully) established.  That's for an existing iOS product that 'just' needs recoding to work in Android.  Companies won't risk doing that unless and until they have the cash flow and resources to support the work involved.

Evernote had existing and popular products in five major operating systems which all included differently coded editors written by different teams.  They came up with a method to provide an editor module that could be fitted into all five applications.  I'd guess that all the applications required a serious degree of re-editing to allow the editor to fit.  They were doing this while still servicing somewhere north of 100M users who - you may have noticed - tend to get tetchy if things don't work too well.

That's not something they could knock off in someone's lunchtime,  and I think it's a pretty good achievement which they've actually mentioned once to my knowledge themselves - a bit like the "Oh and by the way we moved 2 billion user documents from our servers to Google's" that they included in the blog the other day.

I tend to mention it to put in perspective all the glib "It's such a simple change" comments folks tend to make - something else I may have mentioned once or twice before..  managing Evernote is a bit like steering an oil tanker.  If you're planning to change direction you can't just do a quick u-turn and head back the other way.  Change is slow,  and something you need to plan for well in advance.  Evernote clearly think in terms of years for some projects.

The sort of feature you want may well be in the pipeline,  but whatever we say here,  no-one is going to know about it until Evernote decide to deliver.

5 hours ago, jaume said:

This is a must-have feature, so I came here to upvote this idea.

Evernote Mac Team: This much needed functionality was requested in 2013, so we are going to get it any time soon, right?

Don't hold your breath...

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, oraclejavanet said:

Evernote's management and development team has made a conscious decision to ignore what has been years of requests in two different forums

Did they publish this momentous decision somewhere?  I must have missed that.  

I understand the frustration that lots of groups experience when their preferred fixes aren't implemented despite apparent significant support.  But despite the heat this forum sometimes generates,  it isn't the only place from which Evernote get their customer feedback.  There are so many current requests that no matter what new feature Evernote introduces next, a significant number of users will scream that their much more worthy requests have been ignored.

Evernote will undertake whatever they consider to be the most cost-effective projects for their company in their own time.  If at any stage that doesn't include some process that you require,  then if you can find a better option,  you should probably take it.

Meantime there's only work-arounds and making-do.

• Level 5*

With (genuinely) no intended disrespect,  Evernote is a project larger than any you may have ever been involved with.  They service a user group larger than a small country (like Japan) and I'd imagine Rule #1 is: don't mess up the status quo*.  Ever.  

It's also been suggested in another thread that a good tactic would be to have a 'hit squad' of techs dedicated to minor fixes special projects such as this one - and that could even exist - but given the thousands of requests (and Rule #1) it might take a little while to get around to this one.

* Note I didn't say their success record in this respect was that good...

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, enigma2me said:

as well as search for tags and rename those.

Renaming tags is a completely different function, and supported in Evernote
The tag is renamed using the tag page; the change is reflected in all notes

• Level 5*
On 2017-03-28 at 7:29 AM, enigma2me said:

Desperately needed. I have 20k notes, and some of mine are similar, but named differently, It would be great to search titles for specific words/acronyms, to change

Since we're working on Macs, you could script this with Applescript 
I used this to update the titles on 2000+ notes    FindReplace.scpt

tell application "Evernote"

set theNotes to selection
    repeat with theNote in theNotes

set theModdate to modification date of theNote
        set theTitle to title of theNote

--  Replace " Bank - " with " "
       --  Prefix with "Banking "

set theDelim to AppleScript's text item delimiters      
        set AppleScript's text item delimiters to the " Bank - "
        set the item_list to every text item of theTitle
        set AppleScript's text item delimiters to " "
        set
theTitle to "Banking " & item_list as string

set title of theNote to theTitle
        set modification date of theNote to theModdate

end repeat
end tell

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Dissenter said:

I hope my baby can read in Evernote with the feature "Change Background Color" to protect her eyes 15 years later.

You can set the background colour in tables58f1122e03392_ScreenShot2017-04-14at11_16_59AM.png.d32a14f95a0fdddb5f4a5d14e0b12f89.png

This can be a simple one column table;
I find it useful to have a second column on the right side; it makes better use of the emptywhitespace in a note

22 hours ago, DTLow said:

Don't let the facts get in the way of your ranting

DTLow - Thank you. Sorry. Even more embarrassing, I follow this thread and have posted to it before. Mindless expression of exasperation. Thank you for your contributions.

I found a workaround:

- Copy into Microsoft Word

- Search and replace

- Just keep using Microsoft Word, because really, this is just sad

(I'm a premium Evernote user, been using it for years, and I'm sure I will keep using it, but come on guys.)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 2017-07-01 at 오후 1시 41분, Paferg said:

I found a workaround:

- Copy into Microsoft Word

- Search and replace

- Just keep using Microsoft Word

This would be my approach, store the document as an attachment to the note
Generally, I use the Evernote editor for short notes and dedicated apps for more serious work

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

For myself, I'm happy using Evernote as my digital file.  This is not a feature I require for notes

Well, I'm glad you're happy with what you have.

Many of us, including myself, use Evernote for a variety of purposes.  I use it not only as my digital filing cabinet, but also to write and edit a number of simple notes that I don't want to switch out to a word processor to do.  I do believe that Find and Replace is in every other text editor I know of, certainly in all that I use.

• Often I will capture a web page that I need to replace all of a certain term with another term.
  • I build and maintain a number of Public Notes for friends to use
  • I build and maintain a number of Public Notes as user guides.
  • and more.

I'm not leaving because Evernote doesn't have F&R, but it sure would be very, very useful if it did.

Just my 2¢.

• Like 1

Just for the record, I switched to Apple Notes. All my notes could be imported. Yes, it not cross-platform. But it does the job well and has basic editing features that I need to write notes. Plus the interface is simple and looks nice. 

Highly suggest others do the same.  

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I use it not only as my digital filing cabinet, but also to write and edit a number of simple notes that I don't want to switch out to a word processor to do.

Same for me; I find the editor adequate for simple notes, but for more serious work, I switch out to dedicated apps like word processing or spreadsheet apps

Its not just find&replace; I also need extended features like styles, tables, outlines, ...

I encourage all users to make use of alternate editors and not be restricted by the limitations of the Evernote editor

On 9/7/2017 at 7:47 AM, kiddo said:

@Kiddo , I could not have said it better myself!  I do *not* remember any editors that did not have find and replace.  I have worked on UNIX Release 6, which did not have any screen editors .  They had ed , with  find and replace, using regular expressions no less!!!!  Even EDLIN on msdos had search and replace.

There are a couple of work arounds.  One is to install Wine on your MAC and install the Windows version.  The Windows version does have find and replace but apparently Macs are poor relations in this scenario.

I have an idea! How about laying off  the entire Mac team and hiring a new team to port the Windows version?  I would include some Evernote executives in the layoffs as well.

On 9/7/2017 at 7:47 AM, kiddo said:

How nice of you to reply. Except that apart from the flowery words and the obviously carefully treaded wordings to avoid any responsibilities or liabilities, you have shown two things essentially.

1. This forum, the ticket system, that was designed and managed by your department, does not communicate with the Engineering dept. Communication implies 2 ways communication, but from your flowery language, such is not the case. You are nothing but a pretty faced receptionists who takes messages and relay them to their mailboxes, who may or may not read them.

2.  Due to the typographical difference of your departments, your department is essentially unable to speak for the brand in any developmental capacity, nor speaking for the Engineering department, nor authorized in answering any technical questions, nor providing time tables toward any particular developmental goals. Thus explaining the robotic polite response template as we have read over the past few years. (English isn't my first language, is it true that Americans call this as "blowing off someone", or "jerking someone off"?)

Furthermore, through my observations/:

3. The issue has been raised from this thread since August 2013, which is over 4 years ago. And during this time, we have seen many changes in EverNote, both minor cosmetic changes, and major architectural changes alike. But it has been ignored or continued to be considered a lower priority. Then it would be quite fair to assume that any thing is considered higher priority than fulfilling this feature request, for an indefinite future. Which is another way of saying, it is unlikely that it will ever happen.

4. The complexity of EverNote is minuscule compared to Quantum Mechanics or engineering marvels like the LHC, I hope you have at least the sincerity to admitting to that. Despite such simplicity, a company with nearly 200 staff, owning a building tower of your own, owning as much resources as you have had yet in 4 years, you are incapable of fulfilling this feature request? Not even to acknowledge EverNote has this deficiency? Not even to provide a time table of when it will happen? When any one have come to realise this fact, one must dawn upon the truth by seeing the true colors of the company and culture you represent. It was never about developing a useful tool to meet the user's needs, but rather about how users and the naive are used to fuel the elephantine ego and to serve every whims of the white elephant god.

Conclusion:

I have subscribed to membership with Ulysses today, somehow I find the butterfly cult more accommodating and loving.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 1/26/2017 at 7:03 AM, cameronreilly said:

Anyway, I found the instructions for the textedit hack that someone mentioned in this thread a few years ago (in case anyone else wants to try it). Works well, I just tested it. Maintains formatting, embedded images, etc.

Would you mind pointing us to the exact steps to use this?

Thanks.