candy1

ANSWERED How do I transfer my voice recording into text?

Hi I've made my voice recording but cannot see how I convert it into text. Can someone tell me how?

Thanks

Hi I've made my voice recording but cannot see how I convert it into text. Can someone tell me how?

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forums. I use the app Dragon Dictation on my iPhone. Just record your message and then mail it into Evernote. Now you have your note in text mode.

Regards,

David in Wichita

• Like 1

Also, with iOS7, you can open a new Note in Evernote, click in the body of the Note, and the keyboard pops up. Near the lower left hand corner, there is a key with a microphone on it. Click on that and it will record what you say. After you click "Done", it will convert it to text. Works fine for a couple sentences or a small paragraph. Accuracy seems quite good, sometimes perfect.

If what you're trying to do is take a recording that you've already made and have it transcribed, you could try a service like Quicktate. 

If what you're trying to do is take a recording that you've already made and have it transcribed, you could try a service like Quicktate. 

This doesn't work for me, it just gives me the m4a audio file? Any ideas why not?

• Like 1

Also, with iOS7, you can open a new Note in Evernote, click in the body of the Note, and the keyboard pops up. Near the lower left hand corner, there is a key with a microphone on it. Click on that and it will record what you say. After you click "Done", it will convert it to text. Works fine for a couple sentences or a small paragraph. Accuracy seems quite good, sometimes perfect.

This was the quote I was querying! This doesn't work for me, it just gives me the m4a audio file? Any ideas why not?

• Like 1

I can't imagine why not.

I believe what I described is a standard iOS7 feature. It works every time on my iPhone and iPad. Every time the keyboard pops up, I get the microphone.

Are you running on an iOS7 device. Which one?

Do you have a WiFi or cellular connection? I believe in order to convert your voice to text that iOS7 send a copy of your voice recording to the Apple cloud which converts it to text and sends it back to you.

The microphone key in question is next to the spacebar on the keyboard. Which iOS device do you have? 

Any chance you could take a screenshot and show me what I'm supposed to be looking at?

I am using the latest version of Evernote on my iPhone 5!

That worked! Thanks so much!!! 

I had 2 issues, first of all I didn't have Siri switched on (never found it works with my British accent!), and secondly I was clicking on the Record Audio button instead of the Microphone button - easy mistake!

Does anyone know whether this is supported upon iPad? I can't seem to find the microphone button on the keyboard

Yes, speech-to-text is support on the iPad 3 and later. Which iPad do you have? Is Siri turned on in Settings>General>Siri? Do you have an active data connection?

Aha - that's my issue - it's an ipad 2 so I don't have Siri. Thanks...

I assume this also means that the feature is not available within Evernote for WIndows? 

Thanks!

Sorry, don't know what options Windows has for speech-to-text.

Wow I had completely forgot about the voice to text feature...

was bored and searched for it, and found this thread.

really pays to re-visit the boards and features that EN has.

I have the android platform and initially could not see the "Voice to text option"

but from visiting thread links from above I did some time on my Note 3 and discovered installing one one the widgets

allowed me to choose "Voice to text" or VTT from now on

I was skeptical and threw it some curve balls when dictating, and to my surprise, it was right on the money!

Except for the blues songs I sometimes dictate, scurvy is translated as Dirty, which is no big deal...

very cool - 

here is what I did, in case someone has trouble...

I installed the "Evernote widget GRID 4x1" on a blank screen page

it is in black and white on my phone - this one allows me to scroll thru the selections to see and pick VTT. along with many other options to choose from.

the other quick one ":Evernote widget small 4x1"  which is a green bar or a Black and white option = also allows me to have the VTT on that menu bar if I so choose

but, as my last icon I choose to have the settings option there.

all in all just another great feature to have.

now I just need to figure out how to translate a voice recording to a text..

Thanks

Hey guys! You can not convert a pre-existing voice recording into text at this time, but you might try using your device's dictation feature to turn your speech to text.

We've compiled device instruction here: 

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/104459303

Let us know if you have any questions :)

there is a way to convert already recorded audio files without any additional software or services using your PC and phone.  

On your PC,  open the audio file to transcribe (for example an Evernote audio file).  

Open a new note on your phone in Evernote.  Select voice to text mode input for your phone and place your phone next to your PC speaker.  

Start the speech to text conversion.

Start playing the audio file or your PC.

voila  

Keep an eye on the phone...you may need to replay sections of audio, especially if your wireless signal is poor.

Hello,

i know this is an old Thread, but i have an question about this issue. Is it possible to use the text to speech function and keep the audio as a file?

Since the stream is processed anyways, shouldn't it be possible to save it?

This function would be very handy for me.

Thanks

15 hours ago, Guna said:

Since the stream is processed anyways, shouldn't it be possible to save it?

I don't know of any software/service that will do this, except for Vonage voicemail.  When you get a voicemail, Vonage will email you with both the recording, and the transcription.  Of course, this means you have to be a subscriber to the Vonage VoIP phone service.

A few months ago I searched extensively to find a good method and software to auto-transcribe my voice recordings, and then send to Evernote.  I never found anything suitable.  The biggest issue is when you have multiple speakers.

Hi, Thanks for the tip, i will look into it.

For now, i have found a workaround which is kind of working for me. (i only dictate alone)

I create a new AudioNote and let Evernote record the file. After creating i tap into the textfield and use the google speech to text function from the keyboard.

It is a bit work afterwards, but i am able to get some of the text transcribed.

But again, thanks for the tip.

18 hours ago, Guna said:

For now, i have found a workaround which is kind of working for me.

Great!  Thanks for sharing your solution.

Which google speech to text tool did you use?

I just found this one.  It's a 3rd party Google app:
VoiceNote II - Speech to text

Hi.  Did you mean transcribing audio to text and keeping the audio as well as producing the text?  That's speech to text (STT) and Evernote at the moment doesn't store the source audio,  although the option to do so would be a reasonable feature request. - I'd say option,  because if I'm dictating notes,  I don't need the audio as well as the words..

If you did mean reading existing text out loud - text to speech (TTS) - why keep the audio?  If you can convert the text once,  you'll be able to do it again..

In both cases though,  there's no reason why you couldn't have another app running to record the audio,  and then store the resulting audio file in the same note as the text.  You might have to use a different device - phone/ tablet + laptop - if there's a fight over control of the microphone on one device only - some prior experimentation required before you start talking (or listening).

Edit:  Sorry - late to the party here; didn't notice the second page of content...

If you're an Apple family user, "Just Press Record" is probably the best way to do this outside of the built in voice to text feature. You'll get a transcript and a recording if you'd like. Then you can share that over to Evernote. I know it's another step, which stinks, but it is a great service in that ecosystem. Really great on the Apple Watch because it is even more always with me.