(Archived) Image editing features have changed/broken in latest version (5.1.1.2334)

kennethmgreen

Old/Desired behavior: Open image attached to a note and edit with image editor (xnView) - crop, resize, etc. Save within xnView, asked if I want to overwrite, select Yes, go back to Evernote, image has updated.

New/undesired (bug?) behavior: Open image attached to note, get asked to select a program to use to open image (Windows message "Choose the program you want to open this file:") - Note that the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" checkbox is visible but grayed out. I cannot select it. I select xnView and crop/resize/etc. Save file. Go back to Evernote. Nothing. Image is not getting updated.

When/why did this behavior change? I've been editing images attached to notes in the manner described above for some time. I depend on cropping, rotating and resizing images in my notes. 

This may have changed in the last version or the version before. 

Using Evernote Premium 5.1.1.2334 (270334) Public

Windows 7 Ult. and Home Premium (two computers)
  • Level 5*

You're exactly right - the storage of images seems to have changed somehow in a recent update.  It's a little more difficult to replace a picture,  but you can

1. right click image and use open with
  2. use XnView (also my favourite) and edit the content
  3. copy image from XnV
  4. paste over image in note.

As to when/ why the change - not a clue; at a guess some other "improvement" derailed the original system,  and it now needs fixing.

Watch this space..

I saw this somewhere in the forums where you can no longer change images (I've seen it as a file missing error myself after tweaking an image).. IIRC I think it was classed as a bug by EN so unclear timeline as to when/if it will be resolved. 

I saw this somewhere in the forums where you can no longer change images (I've seen it as a file missing error myself after tweaking an image).. IIRC I think it was classed as a bug by EN so unclear timeline as to when/if it will be resolved. 

Evernote does not publish roadmaps or ETAs.

• Level 5*

Curious. I've been able to edit, rotate, and resize an image using Open (MS Explorer, for rotation) and Open With (MS Paint, Paint.Net), no problems at all. I didn't try to set an "Always use the selected program" program (since I didn't want to undo it later), but the checkbox was enabled, so I assume that I could have done so.

• 2 weeks later...

I reported this issue to support and they did identify it as a bug, related to Skitch integration. Tried to check Support ticket for an update, but having some difficulties logging in to Evernote Support. Will post here if I get an update.

Curious. I've been able to edit, rotate, and resize an image using Open (MS Explorer, for rotation) and Open With (MS Paint, Paint.Net), no problems at all. I didn't try to set an "Always use the selected program" program (since I didn't want to undo it later), but the checkbox was enabled, so I assume that I could have done so.

What versions of Evernote and Windows are you using? The "Always use selected" checkbox is still grayed out for me (now on EN 5.1.2.2387).

Archived