(Archived) Orphaned note windows

redwoodtwig

If you double click on a snippet and open the note in a new window and then close the main evernote window, you are now in an orphaned state.  As far as I can tell there is no way to get back to the main window, you have to start evernote again.  You can't search from this orphan window, you can't do much of anything except open more new orphan windows from the related notes. 

Although I have found it useful to open a slew of related notes, at some point I will want to get back to the main one and it seems obvious to me that I should have button somewhere at the top of the single note window that will turn it into a main window, or send me to it.

• Level 5*

Bringing up the main Evernote window is as easy as double-clicking on the Evernote icon in the notification area. Running the standard Evernote program will do the same thing. In practice I don't find this to be much of a problem; I don't typically close the Evernote main window, but minimize it instead.

The notification area being the windows task bar on the bottom of, in my case, my right hand screen?  Yes, this works fine if that window is still open.  I normally do not close the main window either, but recently I was working with probably a dozen or so windows open, only two of which were evernote and I clicked the wrong red x when meaning to close a spreadsheet that happened to be almost on top of the evernote main window.  

I'm used to tree driven applications where the tree parts can be hidden or exposed with a single keystroke or menu item click; and which allow multiple windows, each of which has the full tree if you want it visible.  Applications often called IDE, integrated development environments.  Evernote is a fabulous idea development environment, but does need some tweaking to keep ahead of the pack.

• Level 5*

I use a the Visual Studio IDE nearly every day of my working life -- it may have all of the stuff you mention (not exactly sure hat you're referring to) but if you shut it down, you need to start it up again, simple as that. It's not clear to me how that relates to Evernote (I wouldn't call Evernote an IDE in any sense that I understand IDEs), but you have a fair request; it's just a problem that I have never run into myself.

Re the notification area: Evernote is notoriously -- or at least conventionally -- difficult to shut down; you need to do it via File / Exit. If you click the Evernote 'X' by mistake, Evernote is still active (so that you can do screen clipping etc.); Evernote leaves an icon available in the notification area of the Windows taskbar. It may not always show if you haven't configured the notification area to always show the Evernote icon.

Archived