(Archived) New Note - slow to open

grahamsccs

I love Evernote, but one of my biggest gripes is with adding new notes.

I've mapped a shortcut key for "New Note", but notice that sometimes it can take several seconds (sometimes up to 5 seconds) to display a standalone new note window. Moreover, occasionally it will open minimised. This behaviour isn't limited to one machine, it happens on my work PC, home laptop and PC. It's a shame because I often want to create notes quickly on the fly, and several seconds to open a new note window might not sound like much, but when you're working quickly it's a deal breaker.

I love Evernote, but one of my biggest gripes is with adding new notes.

I've mapped a shortcut key for "New Note", but notice that sometimes it can take several seconds (sometimes up to 5 seconds) to display a standalone new note window. Moreover, occasionally it will open minimised. This behaviour isn't limited to one machine, it happens on my work PC, home laptop and PC. It's a shame because I often want to create notes quickly on the fly, and several seconds to open a new note window might not sound like much, but when you're working quickly it's a deal breaker.

How many notes do you have? How large is your database (your-username.exb file)?

Approx 1000 notes, and 400mb exb file.

Scaling is an issue with very large databases, IME. I'm talking tens of thousands of notes & exb files that are several gigs. But that would not be the issue here. Perhaps someone else will an idea.

• Level 5*

? When you say "mapped a shortcut key",  how have you created this?  In Evernote? / on your windows desktop?  And are you using it to start a new note with the main application pre-loaded?

My experience - 16,000 notes and 16GB database - is that Ctrl-N pops up a new note immediately.  I don't know how you'd create a saved shortcut in Evernote,  and in Windows the only option (AFAIK) would be to start Evernote with the new note command line option.  If that's the route,  you're starting the whole application each time to call a new note,  so it has to check the database,  look for syncs and generally have a quick coffee before reporting for work - so it takes an appreciable while to report in.  If you load Evernote on startup and use the built-in shortcut it should be much faster to get to a new note.

Archived