Delete the notebook in Penultimate but leave the note (synced) in Evernote

Krzysztof Ś.

Hello,

I use Penultimate for my handwritten notes and Evernote for all my notes on my Mac and iOS devices.

What I want to do is to delete my 'completed' notebooks in Penultimate app on my iPad but leave them in Evernote so I can access them on all my devices.

I tried copying the note to another notebook using Evernote client for Mac and then deleting the notebook from Penultimate but unfortunately it doesn't work.

Even if I copy the note (made in Penultimate, synced to Evernote) to my hdd, delete the notebook from Penultimate and then re-add the note from my hdd to Evernote, the notebook appears again in Penultimate and when I delete it - my new copy of the note is gone from Evernote.

For now I can't find any way to leave my notes only in Evernote (not in EN + Penultimate) = save a lot of space and I find it very frustrating.

Thank you in advance for any help.

• 3 weeks later...

You can export a notebook in penultimate as .PDF or .PEN formats. You can only import the .PEN format back into penultimate.

To export as a .PDF, from penultimate, hi-light the notebook you want to export, hit the share arrow, then open in, then select evernote. A .PDF version will open in Evernote.

To get the .PEN format, in case you want to edit the note at a later date, from penultimate: hit your user name in the top left, hit general Settings, enable dropbox export, .PEN format, and include paper design. Now you can share your note from penultimate to dropbox to save the .PEN format. From dropbox, you can add it to the same note as the .PDF version in Evernote. Two backups in one note. Or just leave the .PEN backup in a penultimate folder in dropbox.

You can import into penultimate from dropbox by again going to general settings in penultimate, hitting dropbox, and import penultimate files, again, you can only select .PEN format.

It's a roundabout way of doing things, but will give you a complete backup in Evernote and allow you to delete the notebook from penultimate.

Hello and thank you for your reply!

I've heard about a similar workaround but 1) I make a lot of notes and it takes time to export+import them all, 2) I wonder if Evernote can OCR my handwritten notes saved in .pdf format. I've read that they should be saved in .jpg instead.

PS I've sent an e-mail to Evernote support and this is their reply:

Jan 22 09:10

Hello!
This is currently by design, I have forwarded this issue to our Penultimate team for further review as a feature request.
Thank you for your continued patience.

Ah, yes it would take quite a bit of time for a lot of notebooks!

As for OCR on handwritten PDF files, Evernote will OCR mine that I have exported from penultimate to Evernote. I do pay for the premium subscription though, not sure if it would work on free or not... it does take a little time to be OCR'd, but after about a day I can search through them. Although, I must say the PDF handwriting search does not work as well as JPGs on mobile, but works great on my mac, as far as visually highlighting search words on the document. JPGs probably are better.

Maybe you could use a script to convert the PDFs to JPGs and have those automatically added to a note in Evernote?

Best of luck to you!

I'm a Premium user too so it should work but when I think I have to write a script and then export every notebook to pdf, send it to my Mac, re-add it to Evernote and then delete the notebook from Penultimate I think that maybe I'll just wait for the update which I hope will appear someday (soon ;)).

Still - thank you very much for all suggestions!

All the best!

• 1 year later...

Thank you jamie_c. Your advise was very helpful. My handwritten notes vanished from Pen ultimate & also Evernote but after reading your blog dated 02-Feb-2015 I was able to restore all my notes from Backup.

The notes were restored in a separate note book automatically created by Penultimate on my iPad Air with IOS 8.3. How do I move the restrored notes to original note book. I tried for answer in Evernote Help & Support but could not find one.

You may reply to piyushbhartia@usa.net.

Thanks a ton

Archived