Task managing that pulls from Evernote?

KiwiJen

I've reached the conclusion that Evernote is a dream for collecting, note-taking and archival (of some things), but I don't want to use it for task management - I've been doing so, just to avoid re-entering data in another app, but it's not a fit for me. I guess I actually like to use it the way its creators intended - as an "external brain" that collects data and eventually stores it long term. But I want to work with/through that data outside of Evernote.

What I'm looking for is a system that lets me import things from Evernote and then use them as I see fit. Zendone is too focused on "inbox zero", which isn't quite how I work. Because I'm incredibly picky about my to do management (I want reminders and due dates on some things, not on others, I need notes, I need web and iPad support, etc.), I'm not asking you guys so much to find me a tool as to let me know if I'm missing an easier method of accomplishing what I want.

I've looked at task management apps that accept emails since EN can send that way, but very few keep the body of the email, and those that do strip the HTML which is a problem if the body contained research links necessary for the task (then I have to go hunt them down in EN anyway). I've looked at Zapier and IFFFT, but they don't seem to have any options that will work.

If I have to cut and past from EN into something else, then I guess I will. It just seems like there really ought to be tools out there to make this happen more automatically. There are so many apps that allow you to send to EN, but very few that fetch from it - or even do a good job of handling emails sent from EN.

Have you read the book "Getting Things Done" by David Allen? It absolutely changed my life, and Zendone (which you mention), processes tasks exactly in the way Getting Things Done talks about. I could not recommend that book enough.

As I said, Zendone is too focused on inbox zero, which does not work for me. For me, email is communication more often than it's documentation, so filing it away out of sight isn't always the right goal. I tried Zendone and immediately got stuck.

I sort of love how IQTell works with Evernote, except that there are so many options that I get lost. I'd love to have something that just lets me see my Evernotes so I can pull them into task lists as I want. I'd even settle for emailing them from Evernote to another app, except every app I've found that allows this will strip out the HTML, thus rendering the actual "note" portion of the task useless in many cases. I've also tried RTM, but it only works on notes where you've set a reminder, and it's too focused on deadlines for my taste. Most of my tasks just need to be done ASAP, and I can't figure out how to categorize them in a way that works.

I'm definitely starting to understand why people try to make EN do everything - it's the very best tool for capture and archival, and nothing really integrates seamlessly with it for the middle portions of planning and doing.

I'm definitely starting to understand why people try to make EN do everything - it's the very best tool for capture and archival, and nothing really integrates seamlessly with it for the middle portions of planning and doing.

I think Evernote's reminder feature is just the beginning. Phil already announced recurring reminders. I think the reminder feature will be extended in the future so this will probably close the gap.

Evernote-Fan, I actually don't use the reminders at all, because my tasks are not deadline oriented so I don't know how much that will help me.

chronistin, I already read that thread - that's where I picked up IQTell, which has turned out to be a great way to keep up with all my email, but it's just too GTD for me. My system is more aligned with agile development. It's just what works for me. That said, I'll take another look at RTM and see if I can wrap my brain around it. I don't know why I'm so difficult to please, LOL.

I do realize that maybe it's my whole workflow that needs tweaking. I think so many of the tools are so GTD and zero-inbox oriented, and both of those approaches are just too static for me. I've been doing some reading about various systems and implementations of systems to find something that fits me. Everytime I think I've found it, the whole thing breaks down inside two weeks. If it's a deadline oriented system (which RTM seems to be, but maybe I missed something), I'll have a crisis that delays everything and suddenly I have 16 screaming red "OVERDUES" stressing me out. If it's not deadline oriented, I'll miss something that's time sensitive. But the most important thing is that it's all always changing and no to do system seems to accommodate that. They seem to treat it as failure rather than having to roll with the punches.

I'm going to try to sneak in some more reading about how people have implemented Agile today and see if I can figure that out in my head.

I'm also still searching for the perfect solution, but from the existing, RTM seems to work best. It is a little frustrating, because I've come across some genius ideas, but every single one of them is really lacking in other aspects I need.

Everytime I think I've found it, the whole thing breaks down inside two weeks. If it's a deadline oriented system (which RTM seems to be, but maybe I missed something), I'll have a crisis that delays everything and suddenly I have 16 screaming red "OVERDUES" stressing me out.  If it's not deadline oriented, I'll miss something that's time sensitive. But the most important thing is that it's all always changing and no to do system seems to accommodate that.

I am not sure how an app could solve that dilemma (which I also have). How would you expect the "perfect" solution to address this problem?

Bluesgeek, that's cool - I thought it was just an app, but they have an online service too (I'd prefer something that's web-based as well as iPad). Have you tried the online service at all? Just wondering if it's as good as the app. Also a little confused about pricing - to sync the online with the apps is $15/year, but the apps are one-time payments of $12.99 for iOS? Is that right?

@KiwiJen, If you've read the other thread, you're already familiar with TaskClone which works to get individual todos OUT of Evernote and INTO your task app of choice and you're also already familiar with our post on the 10 Best Task Apps with Evernote Integration.  In addition to those apps, SmartTM, Zendone and Pocket Informant have good Evernote integration, but were not reviewed.  

From your posts, I'm wondering if a solid app which supported clickable note links might suffice to provide easy access to note details without importing them entirely. That would open you to additional possibilities.

If you're trying to avoid the overdue sea of red nightmare, check out the productivity work of Michael Linenberger who suggests a start date approach that also works well for non-dated items.  I have modified this approach to good effect.

For more help on task managers, post your requirements to the knowledgeable people on the Productivity Google+ Community and you will get some thoughtful guidance amid the fanboy responses.

Thanks, TaskClone, I did sign up a couple of weeks ago because it sounds like it does JUST what I need, but then I realized your system requires a Gmail address. I don't use Gmail*, so that was the end of that. I also tried Zapier and IFFFT, but they only trigger actions on the creation of new Evernotes - if I knew something was going to be a "task" when I caputered it in Evernote, I'd just capture it in my to do app instead. IIUC, what TaskClone does would be terrific, but unfortunately it requires Gmail.

I did come across all the apps listed in that link you shared, and as I said above, I'm picky. Either they cost too much, or didn't have a web app, or didn't have categorization options I need, or they force me to work in a way that I've tried before and know won't agree with my brain.

So, I've basically given up on finding precisely what I want, and settled for something "close enough". My current system is this:

- Capture everything to Evernote.

- Have a shortcut to a "start page" note in Evernote which links me to the other programs I'm using.

- Do "eagle eye" whole-life planning in Workflowy

- Do more project-oriented brainstorming, planning and journaling in Evernote

- Track stats in Zoho Sheets

- Use Toodledo for tasks. I can forward emails directly to Toodledo, or forward Evernotes when I decide to make them into tasks. It lets me use start dates, due dates, and various other ways of sorting priorities. I'm a little overwhelmed, but I think it's going to work.

- Archive the end results in Evernote

*Google's privacy policies entitle them to mine and aggregate data accumulated from users of their free services. Since I'm a webmaster and Google uses at least some of that info to decide how to rank websites, using any of their free services just  wouldn't be a smart choice for me.

@KiwiJen,

Yeah, we require a service that allows us to send email on your behalf because many task apps use a generic address like me@wunderlist.com or task@azendoo.com and the only way for them to know the task goes to your account is for the email to be from the same address registered with them.  

Google has the added benefit of being able to directly send events to Calendar and Tasks to GTasks.  But, we do understand that some have concerns about Google's privacy policies or just adding another service.

As long as your workaround is working for you, I guess it's all good.

• 1 month later...

@rabbitrun, we took a look at workflowy after your posts and couldn't figure out if there were any API connections or the ability to email tasks into their system.  If you can email tasks in, TaskClone will work.  If there is a 3rd party API link (e.g. Zapier), TaskClone may work.  We haven't invested the time in creating an account, but if you could answer the questions above, maybe we could help.

Hi,

I am Jorge, from the Zendone team.

More than in "Inbox 0", Zendone is based on Getting Things Done (GTD). In GTD a core stage is "Processing your inbox", which is why we offer explicit support for it. We also support the rest of GTD stages (Do, Organize and Review) and GTD vocabulary (next actions, projects, areas, etc).

When it comes to email and tasks, we offer great support for it through your regular Evernote's email address:

- You can create tasks directly from email (no need to go through the process cycle, if you already know that email is actionable)

- The rich content of email is preserved

- The Evernote note can be seen and edited within Zendone or via the Evernote app, as the synchronization is bidirectional.

You can get a full overview of how Zendone implementes GTD here. 

In any case, I totally agree with @qot in totally recommending the reference GTD book. It's totally tool-agnostic and will wire in your brain a lot of great productivity concepts you will use the rest of your life.

If you have any questions about zendone feel free to contact us or visit our community site (many of our community members are experts in productivity and GTD software).

As I said, Zendone is too focused on inbox zero, which does not work for me. For me, email is communication more often than it's documentation, so filing it away out of sight isn't always the right goal. I tried Zendone and immediately got stuck.

Your GTD focus IS the problem. GTD doesn't work for me because its core fundamentals - the ones that make it awesome for some - are not compatible with the type of work I do, nor the way I do it. No tool that requires a GTD approach and/or inbox zero is going to work for me.

• 5 weeks later...

I completely relate to the KiwiJen

Looking for taks or project management with Evernote, Ideal would be Evernote doing it (making completed tasks disapear etc)

Tried IQTell, promising but not good interface and did not sync all evernotes, could not trust it.

Tried Azendoo but still needs development (no GCalendar sync, for instance)

Zendone is powerfull but messes to much with evernote

Still looking...

jpaz, I have IQTell installed on my iPhone and have yet to take it for a spin. Hearing that you could not trust it makes me a bit wary. 

My main issue is the need for using email as a primary task management locus, and IQTell appears to offer that. I have for years been using Mailtags in Apple Mail, but there is no iOS app, so the system breaks right there.

Thanks for your report.

I completely relate to the KiwiJen

Looking for taks or project management with Evernote, Ideal would be Evernote doing it (making completed tasks disapear etc)

Tried IQTell, promising but not good interface and did not sync all evernotes, could not trust it.

Tried Azendoo but still needs development (no GCalendar sync, for instance)

Zendone is powerfull but messes to much with evernote

Still looking...

IQTELL is currently addressing an issue, which is related to the initial sync and which in turn, is related to handling the quota of API calls.  Evernote is a great product and we're committed to our integration with Evernote.  Consequently, we appreciate any feedback  users can provide us.  For direct support, please feel free to email support@iqtell.com  Thanks.

KiwiJen - I'm a GTDer, but find that in my busy times it requires too much 'thinking' for me, so I do understand your pain. Try some of these  -- ERA (previous Devcup entrant, decent To Do/ Reminder app), Evertaskz (really basic To Do app, but good integration options), Hojoki (dashboard of everything you do in Evernote and other places (Pocket, Box, Dropbox, etc), and allows you to make a task out of each.

I've tried them all so I understand your pain. Hopefully Evernote will make 'Evernote DO,' the Evernote task manager for us. ;)

I sort of love how IQTell works with Evernote, except that there are so many options that I get lost. I'd love to have something that just lets me see my Evernotes so I can pull them into task lists as I want. I'd even settle for emailing them from Evernote to another app, except every app I've found that allows this will strip out the HTML, thus rendering the actual "note" portion of the task useless in many cases. I've also tried RTM, but it only works on notes where you've set a reminder, and it's too focused on deadlines for my taste. Most of my tasks just need to be done ASAP, and I can't figure out how to categorize them in a way that works.

Hi lindseycholmes, thanks for that. I'll look into those. Unfortunately, I really need desktop integration, not just iPad, and some of those are just apps. Hopefully in a couple of months my situation will change somewhat and then I might be able to be more flexible. Hojoki seems really interesting - did you mean the new or old version? When I go to their websites, they ask and I wasn't sure what to go with.

The people from iqtell were able to sort out the Evernote/IQTELL sync problem that I had really quickly. I have looked at many options trying to integrate Evernote with a task manager (zendone and azendoo etc). Iqtell offers that plus an elegand email integration. Congratulations to iqtell and the swift technical support. :)

I've reached the conclusion that Evernote is a dream for collecting, note-taking and archival (of some things), but I don't want to use it for task management - I've been doing so, just to avoid re-entering data in another app, but it's not a fit for me. I guess I actually like to use it the way its creators intended - as an "external brain" that collects data and eventually stores it long term. But I want to work with/through that data outside of Evernote.

Agree completely.  Same boat, different bench.  Additionally, note that "task management" is a different process from "working with/through" data one has saved in one's Evernote's database.

Have you read the book "Getting Things Done" by David Allen? It absolutely changed my life, and Zendone (which you mention), processes tasks exactly in the way Getting Things Done talks about. I could not recommend that book enough.

Disagree completely.  Not picking a fight here — just _YMMV_.  I am glad Allen's book helped you.

I think Evernote's reminder feature is just the beginning. Phil already announced recurring reminders. I think the reminder feature will be extended in the future so this will probably close the gap.

Can't agree much.  I'm a sophisticated computer user.  I have been spent several hours a day for more than a couple of weeks working with (and too often against) Evernote.  My conclusions:

- Parts of it are brilliant

- Parts of it are sophomoric

- Development is slow for a app with the reported user base and revenue stream it has

- There is too little effort made to properly batten down the hatches and make it completely seaworthy.  Despite its size, complexity, and location on the Mac software time-line, it reminds me of Mac programs from more than a decade ago: very cool, very full of promise, often well-conceived and delightfully presented, but rough around the edges, weakened by core soft spots, and compromised in ways that make one unsure about recommending it for use with valuable data.  It's as though Evernote has scaled up hobbyist software to a multi-national corporation size, without adding on vital software engineering steps.

I do think Evernote's Reminder feature will be expanded.  I don't think it will "close the gap".  My guess is it will make the gap narrow enough that some users will be able to create springboards at each of the gap's rims to aid them in vaulting across.  But that will never be an easy walk, and many will be the users who mis-step on take-off and hit the far wall somewhat below the safe landing area.

@KiwiJen:  Have you looked at OmniFocus?

Pros:

- mature, stable.

- excellent iPhone, iPad apps (much better UI than the desktop app)

- Sync works (between the various OmniFocus apps on different platforms)

- several good ways to get info into it, including a quick and usable hot-key-triggered Action-adding dialog.

- relatively flexible for customized implementation (specifically: not sutured to a GTD template)

Cons:

- complex - will require hours to wrap your head around it, and then more hours to customize it

- the desktop UI is out-dated and, in a word, bad.  They have announced a much-awaited v. 2 release for June 2014

I have not yet nailed down my workflow integrating Evernote and OmniFocus.  If you are interested in having discussion, let me know.

IME — and I think this mirrors yours — it is _vital_ to consciously and continually separate Tasks from Resources.  ("Read this later!" conflates the two:  "Read later" is a task; "This" is a resource.)  Evernote is usable for storing and retrieving text-based resources.  OmniFocus can be deftly used for storing and processing Tasks.  Neither one is useful, IME, at each other's functions.

jpaz, I have IQTell installed on my iPhone and have yet to take it for a spin. Hearing that you could not trust it makes me a bit wary. 

My main issue is the need for using email as a primary task management locus, and IQTell appears to offer that. I have for years been using Mailtags in Apple Mail, but there is no iOS app, so the system breaks right there.

Thanks for your report.

Thanks for your report.

Recently, team IQTELL has identified and fixed an inbound sync issue. Users have confirmed that the two-way sync EN <--> IQ is working as expected.  On the topic of email.  Email is not required to manage tasks in IQ.  Email and notes are the two main input streams were "things to do" are initiated.  In many cases, turning email and notes into tasks is key for traceability and accountability.  That is, using quantitative data such as Due Dates, Next Actions, Delegated To, Time Needed as well as integrating with calendar events is key for keeping track of progress and ultimately, getting things done.

Kirby, OmniFocus looks great, but I have to most of my days on a PC at the moment. If this changes, I'll definitely look into OmniFocus more. I just wish they had a trial - who wants to shell out that kind of money and then discover they can't get it to work for them?

As to the larger discussion about separating tasks from resources, that's definitely something I need to think about more. If you want to have a discussion about OmniFocus in theory, even though I can't adopt it right now, I'd be happy to discuss it - even just grasping the ideas better would probably help me with whatever tools I use. Once you establish that GTD is not the solution for you... it's not like there are a lot of other established, practiced methodologies to choose from.

BTW, IQTEll is going to become a paid app with a very limited set of features for free accounts. Just a heads up.

Kirby, OmniFocus looks great, but I have to most of my days on a PC at the moment. If this changes, I'll definitely look into OmniFocus more. I just wish they had a trial - who wants to shell out that kind of money and then discover they can't get it to work for them?

As to the larger discussion about separating tasks from resources, that's definitely something I need to think about more. If you want to have a discussion about OmniFocus in theory, even though I can't adopt it right now, I'd be happy to discuss it - even just grasping the ideas better would probably help me with whatever tools I use. Once you establish that GTD is not the solution for you... it's not like there are a lot of other established, practiced methodologies to choose from.

BTW, IQTEll is going to become a paid app with a very limited set of features for free accounts. Just a heads up.

For free accounts, IQTELL will continue offering full task management functionality as well as unlimited capabilities and two-way sync with Evernote .  Email, calendar and contact sync will require a paid subscription, which will be $4.16 per month (considering an annual fee of $49.95).

@bluesgeek and RJF

My words were too strong. I am still trying out IQTell. Glad to see that the problem has been solved, will give it a try.

About IQTell leavning beta the free version keeping evernote integration - but not email integration, contact and calendar (OUCH...with this one :angry: ) sync. The only other GPM tool I saw with email integration (but no envernote integrations) was Wrike, but only in the paid version, so IQTell is doing the same. 

Just would like some interface enhancements (for instance, infinite scrolling instead of limited notes per page)

@bluesgeek and RJF

My words were too strong. I am still trying out IQTell. Glad to see that the problem has been solved, will give it a try.

About IQTell leavning beta the free version keeping evernote integration - but not email integration, contact and calendar (OUCH...with this one :angry: ) sync. The only other GPM tool I saw with email integration (but no envernote integrations) was Wrike, but only in the paid version, so IQTell is doing the same. 

Just would like some interface enhancements (for instance, infinite scrolling instead of limited notes per page)

To clarify, coming out of Beta, IQTELL will continue offering sync of email, calendars and contacts.  These services will be available for Premium and Platinum subscriptions.. It will also be available for anyone trying out Premium for 60 days.  For users who cannot afford what would be a fee of $4.16/month, they can request and we will consider extending the initial 60 days by at least 6 months.

• 1 month later...

As for the very topic of this thread "Task managing that pulls from Evernote?" hope you will all be glad to know that the auto-conversion of notes to tasks, projects and more - directly from your Evernote Notebooks is now possible.  IQTELL has just released its new feature, dubbed "EN2IQ", doing exactly that.  So, now you can have your notes and your productivity, too.

• 7 months later...

I could swear I had posted earlier about why IQTell didn't work for me. Like many other tools, it's oriented toward inbox-zero, which works better for singular tasks which can be completed in an hour instead of my typical project, which is: "Do X to a webpage. Great, now do X to 900 other webpages." It doesn't make sense to enter a to do item for every page, and I can't just work on that project day in day out on X until it's done because there are other things - smaller tasks, often with deadlines - that I also have to take care of.

For a while, I was using Todoist Premium with Evernote, but I couldn't get past the system for emailing tasks. You get a different, incomprehensible email address for every "project", and it turns the email into pure HTML. Evernote OTOH does a beautiful job of preserving how the email looks.

I've realized the reason so many of us want to twist EN into a task manager is that no other app available for the same price:

• Has as consistent and reliable between platforms and devices. Not perfect - Todoist is actually perfect in this regard, but EN is close enough.
  • Great email interface, both sending into and out of EN.
  • Has the web clipping ability. Now that iOS lets the clipper work seamlessly in Safari, I can't function without it.

So I accepted that I really want to do it all in EN. I'm actually working on a system today, but it will focus on dividing tasks into "current" (Project X type stuff that has no deadline but that I want to complete ASAP) and "deadline" (stuff that has a specific date it must be done). I've tested the reminders, and I like how they work. Part of making any system work is not just finding the right system, but training and disciplining myself to use it.

While IQTell does indeed help achieving Inbox Zero, its functionality offers a complete solution for task / project management.  In particular the hierarchy of Projects, "children" Tasks, and "children" Sun-tasks. 

More-so, with its built-in Contact Management, Projects, Tasks and Sub-tasks all link and reflect the corresponding staff members involved in same.  This also applies to IQTell's Sharing & Collaboration capabilities, which facilitates the delegation of Tasks, etc. among team members, which is augmented by automated notification when delegated and when completed.

As for email integration, since many To-do items and Tasks are "triggered" from email and, furthermore, since a substantial amount of emails are related to Projects and Tasks, having email integration whereby said emails are attached to Projects and Tasks, similarly to Evermore notes attached to same, provides users with "seeing the picture at a glance", i.e., managing Projects and Tasks, seeing not only all "children" items, but also all related email correspondence, people, as well as Evernote notes.

Having said that, it is no doubt that Evernote is the best note collection and data organization tool out there. Hence, the "marriage", i.e., the tight integration between Evernote and a productivity solution such as IQTell offers excellent added value to our joint users.

I'm not criticizing IQTell or any of the other tools mentioned in here. I used IQTell for months, and it's a very good tool, it's just that my needs seem to be very different from the typical user. Specifically:

• Dividing tasks into projects doesn't work for me. I'm one person running several websites, and there's a lot of overlap between projects.
  • Because I don't have clients to communicate with, I can't remember the last time an email "triggered" a task. Emails are either something I trash or information I archive in Evernote.

The way I want to divide things up is: "things I must do by [date]" and "things I should do as quickly as I can, but they're going to take months anyway". So I am currently testing an Evernotes "Tasks" notebook stack with a "deadline" notebook (for specific date tasks), a "current" notebook (for the stuff that needs to be done ASAP but will take days, weeks or months). I could probably make IQTell or Todoist do something similar, but it would be a waste of what those apps are good at.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Ive been using IQTELL for 2 years in conjunction with Evernote, and it simply has the most sophisticated and flexible integration with EN that I've ever seen.  First of all, you can view, edit, tag and search, etc EN notes within IQTELL much as you do in EN (a level of integration I don't see in any other app), but that's just the beginning.  You can link EN notes to contacts, emails, calendar items, actions, plans, you name it.  Also as Ran Flam from IQTELL mentioned, with their EN2IQ feature, you can automatically convert EN notes to said Actions, Projects, Somedays, etc. simply through tags.  IQTELL goes way above and beyond just GTD functionality (which I'm not a big follower of anymore), it's a total solution and a great partner app for Evernote.  

Oh, their Android and IOS apps are also incredibly well built and useful.  

• 3 weeks later...

@rabbitrun, we took a look at workflowy after your posts and couldn't figure out if there were any API connections or the ability to email tasks into their system.  If you can email tasks in, TaskClone will work.  If there is a 3rd party API link (e.g. Zapier), TaskClone may work.  We haven't invested the time in creating an account, but if you could answer the questions above, maybe we could help.

Just to echo that there is no WorkFlowy API as of yet. Top of my list would be a Sunrise calendar integration.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

To clarify, IQTell is not shutting down and is moving forward full steam ahead, this is as per our announcement on August 22, 2015.

Our operations have been up and running through all this time and going forward, for many years to come.

IQTell is included in the App Center and is available on iTunes, Google Play and Amazon.

www.iqtell.com

Archived